- - - - -

2023 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix build up

• Please log in to reply
973 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,626 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 21:26

F1 travels from coast to coast, from the Sakhir Persian Gulf to the Jeddah Red Sea.

In many ways, it's the Season Opener v2.0, with scores of unanswered questions and yet-to-blossom narratives. Not to mention the juxtaposition in track layout between the two circuits, sure to challenge the new cars in areas untested by Bahrain's bespoke demands.

For all the doom and gloom, F1 has a habit of producing shock results just when it's needed. Think of Australia 2010, or Malaysia 2015 in recent years. Can Saudi Arabia 2023 add its name to the list of Second Race Surprises?

We'll find out this weekend - for Round 2 of the 2023 Formula One World Championship!

Saudistart.png

The Circuit

Jeddah-Track.png

With the first and second grand prix being held in such close proximity (and both littered with incidents), this feels like a fresh start for the Jeddah Corniche Circuit.

There have been a handful of track changes, most notably the turn 22/23 chicane, tightened to reduce entry speed. In addition, the detection for the start/finish DRS zone has moved, ending the "DRS chicken" games from last year. The start/finish DRS zone itself has been shortened by 75m.

I'll let ANF tell us about the litany of other changes and updates :kiss:

Judgements for Jeddah

Red Bull inevitably start the weekend as favourites, but with a lingering doubt over the potency of the RB19's straight-line speed, such was its overt strength last year. After keeping Verstappen honest in Bahrain, Perez will be aiming for a second consecutive pole on the Saudi Arabian streets. 

Closest challengers Ferrari have been rocked before the weekend has begun with news of a ten-place grid penalty for Leclerc, as he's already exceeded his season allocation of Control Electronics. This will leave Sainz to lead the Red Charge on the Red Sea, but after underwhelming in Bahrain it's looking like another sombre start for the Scuderia.

Ferrari's woe leaves the podium battle open for the resurgent Aston Martin and recalcitrant Mercedes, with plenty of intrigue as to whether the respective strengths and weaknesses of the two teams will change at such a fast and flowing circuit. Stroll's wrists will be grateful for the two-week break between events, and Hamilton will be grateful should he escape Q1, after last season's experiment-gone-wrong. Alonso is yet to score a point in Jeddah, and Russell will be mindful of being cut adrift even this early on in the season after an average opening race.

Behind the top four teams, Alfa Romeo will be looking to build on a solid start to the season, with Bottas nipping at the heels of the front runners. Alpine's season didn't really get going in Bahrain, despite Gasly's par-save comeback drive. Memories of last year's Alonso/Ocon dice will be fresh in the mind as the French squad aims to establish themselves at the very front of the midfield.

Elsewhere, there's plenty of reason for optimism throughout the lower midfield. Williams performed admirably in Bahrain and should arguably be better-suited to Jeddah's low-drag demands. Alpha Tauri's fears of the wooden spoon were unfounded, and rough diamond Tsunoda seems to have started the year on the right footing. Haas' heavy tyre degradation shouldn't be punished nearly as much on the smooth Saudi tarmac. McLaren - well it can't get much worse, can it?

Tyres and Weather

Pirelli-Saudi.jpg

Smooth, unabrasive asphalt means a first appearance of the year for the softer C4 compound. It remains to be seen if the C2 compound will work better on front-limited circuits, after being virtually untouched in Bahrain. If this compound remains unfavoured it will introduce some strategy headaches on race day.

Tyre pressures dropped by 1.0psi fronts only, compared to last year.

Fri - 27C/80F, dry

Sat - 28C/82F, dry

Sun - 28C/82F, dry

Schedule

GMT     CET 
FP1     1330    1430
FP2     1700    1800
FP3     1330    1430
Q       1700    1800
R       1700    1800

Convert to my time zone

Formula 2 and Porsche Sprint Challenge Middle East supporting. Full schedule.

--

Thoughts, predictions, upgrade watch, flak jacket recommendations, reminders about the much more exciting WEC/IMSA opening weekend, and your favourite Middle Eastern bodies of water, all welcome below :wave:

Edited by TomNokoe, 15 March 2023 - 22:59.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 21:53

I choose to remember that amazing Alonso/Ocon battle from last year. Hope some random midfielders can recreate it this time round. Not Alonso/Stroll though.

#3 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,359 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 23:01

Any an even minuscule chance of rain?

#4 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 23:25

You're in luck.  

I'm seeing a 0.0001% chance of rain. 

#5 ANF

ANF

• 29,339 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 23:40

There have been a handful of track changes, most notably the turn 22/23 chicane, tightened to reduce entry speed. In addition, the detection for the start/finish DRS zone has moved, ending the "DRS chicken" games from last year. The start/finish DRS zone itself has been shortened by 75m.

I'll let ANF tell us about the litany of other changes and updates :kiss:

Thank you. The circuit changes mentioned in the grand prix preview are:

• Mobile steel plate kerbs have been removed and replaced with permanent concrete bevelled kerbs all around the circuit.
  • One row of TECPRO barrier has been installed at T11, on the left.
  • Walls have been realigned at T8, T14 and T20.
  • T22/23 have been realigned. T22 starts 10m later, T23 moved by 5m.

Also, I noticed on the circuit map that an additional light panel (panel 7) has been installed before T9. So there are now 22 light panels around the circuit.

(T11, on the left, is the wall where Schumacher and others have crashed hard. I wished it would have got a SAFER barrier instead of a Tecpro barrier, because a SAFER barrier almost never needs to be repaired during a race, but maybe the right-left curve doesn't suit a SAFER barrier, I don't know...)

#6 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,128 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 23:54

Hopefully this year there are less missiles involved.

#7 loki

loki

• 12,249 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 03:42

Return of the Jeddah…

#8 Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin

• 555 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 05:23

Recalcitrant - have a 'like' for being fancy.

#9 danmills

danmills

• 3,169 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 07:58

Leclerc hit with a grid penalty. Already.

#10 LewisMacca

LewisMacca

• 77 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 08:11

Only My tears when Mercedes are 5th and 6th on the grid a second a lap down on Redbull.

#11 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,428 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 08:31

I always fear there will be a huge multi-car crash here every year. It somewhat tempers my enjoyment of this track as I believe it's too dangerous.

#12 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,626 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 08:36

Recalcitrant - have a 'like' for being fancy.

I learned this word from none other than James Allen, who used it to describe a sleeping Heidfeld at one of the many safety car restarts during Canada 2007 :D

#13 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,925 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 09:23

I learned this word from none other than James Allen, who used it to describe a sleeping Heidfeld at one of the many safety car restarts during Canada 2007 :D

??

Recalcitrant implies an active or at least aware action. Sleeping behind a safety car isn't that.

Or did a joke of yours in this regard just whooosh over my head?

#14 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,797 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 09:24

My prediction is that Red Bull won't win, and everybody will be optimistic again for the season (kind of like Malaysia 2002).

#15 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,925 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 09:31

It's like the old golf bet from the early 2000's. If you could only bet on Tiger or the field, which would you take?

The correct answer was always the field (because Tiger won less than 50% of the tournaments he enetered) but it was always close.

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,288 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 09:46

I always fear there will be a huge multi-car crash here every year. It somewhat tempers my enjoyment of this track as I believe it's too dangerous.

There was one in 2021 wasn’t there?

#17 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,626 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 09:53

??

Recalcitrant implies an active or at least aware action. Sleeping behind a safety car isn't that.

Or did a joke of yours in this regard just whooosh over my head?

I don't think so! Link

#18 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,925 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 10:24

Disclaimer: I can't watch the clip here at work

I don't doubt he said it or someone else did. What I wonder is if James Allen wasn't using the wrong word. 

And my joke comment was that I was wondering that you knew it was wrong usage and name dropped Allen as being uninformed also.

pDBSyO6l.jpg

#19 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 931 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 10:25

https://twitter.com/...306891344076808

Max Verstappen

@Max33Verstappen
·
24 m
Feeling fine again, after not being fit for a few days because of a stomach bug.

Therefore, I unfortunately had to postpone my flight for a day, so I won't be on the track until Friday. See you in Jeddah!

Advertisement

#20 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,413 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 10:40

https://twitter.com/...306891344076808

Only the runs can stop Max this weekend it seems.

I like the track, it’s one that shouldn’t exist considering the PC and safe nature of everything in the world today. Seeing the drivers in qualifying is a treat as they push flat out and sometimes beyond the limit(Max in 2021) not to mention the great racing it produces.

I’m expecting Ferrari to be closer to Red Bull this weekend on a track surface that’s smoother and the characteristics should favour their car, especially with the reduction in drag that they’ve gone for this season. Aston Martin will be intriguing as they have another chance to shine, I wonder if they’ll try to trim some downforce off their car to reduce the drag as they were still behind Ferrari and Red Bull in that regard in Bahrain. Mercedes will probably be in no man’s land, looking behind rather than forwards so it’s gonna be more about who comes out on top between Lewis and George. Lastly, the rest of the pack should be bunched up tightly again so we could see some shock Q1 exits and shock point scorers, all in all, I’m excited for this weekend.

#21 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,817 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 12:02

This event always sickens me. The atmosphere, the feel, the location. The only races I like less are Abu Dhabi, Qatar and maybe Mexico. The only saving graces are that's it so early in the season there's still stuff to look forward to, and that F2 is there. And since it's a "street race" (using that word very generously) there's chance of some surprises happening. But the DRS zones are laughable, maybe the shortening will help

Edited by LolaB0860, 16 March 2023 - 12:04.

#22 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,797 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 12:06

This event always sickens me. The atmosphere, the feel, the location. The only races I like less are Abu Dhabi, Qatar and maybe Mexico. The only saving graces are that's it so early in the season there's still stuff to look forward to, and that F2 is there. And since it's a "street race" (using that word very generously) there's chance of some surprises happening. But the DRS zones are laughable, maybe the shortening will help

Mexico is a bit of an odd one out in that list?

#23 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,817 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 12:23

Mexico is a bit of an odd one out in that list?

The (modern) layout is uninspiring, the races are snoozy, it' so late in the season that there's not much at stake especially now that there are 46 races, and there are zero televised support races. BUT in terms of general atmosphere it's obviously better than all of the Middle East races combined, including Bahrain

The best part about is the loooooong run to the first corner on first lap

Edited by LolaB0860, 16 March 2023 - 12:24.

#24 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,128 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 12:24

Max, did you misinterpret the memo?

It's Melbourne you need to miss. Not Jeddah. Melbourne. Race this one and then go spend some nice time on your sim during Albert Park and let Danny keep your seat warm...  :drunk:   ;)  :kiss:

#25 LewisMacca

LewisMacca

• 77 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 12:27

Don’t think 2021 will ever be beaten for entertainment, stress, not knowing what will happen next, the whole race director deals and radio’s it was honestly one of the most crazy races I’ve witnessed. 2022 was fun but nothing special.

Interesting to see where Mercedes are at a different track, if AM can challenge and watch Charles come through the pack.

#26 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 931 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 12:42

Max, did you misinterpret the memo?

It's Melbourne you need to miss. Not Jeddah. Melbourne. Race this one and then go spend some nice time on your sim during Albert Park and let Danny keep your seat warm...  :drunk:   ;)  :kiss:

When Max or Perez can't drive it is Yuki who will replace him Horner explained.

A reserve driver will  drive for AlphaTauri and no, that won't be Daniel, sorry.

#27 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,901 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 13:08

I always fear there will be a serious T-bone crash in one of those blind corners. Or airplane crash during the qualifying between hot-lap and cool-down-lap cars.

Anyway, this place is still miles better than dull Abu Dhabi. At least here you can expect a few SC periods, or even red flags and restarts. Compared to Bahrain two weeks ago, I'm expecting a lot of drama. Obviously, Max will win no matter what.

#28 Beri

Beri

• 11,617 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 13:14

When Max or Perez can't drive it is Yuki who will replace him Horner explained.

A reserve driver will  drive for AlphaTauri and no, that won't be Daniel, sorry.

Did he? I do know Tost has said that he would opt for unproven Red Bull talents should one of his seats become available. But on Horner, I must have missed that. Because I'd say that is an unwise decision. Ricciardo is well trained in the sim and knows the ins and outs of the RB19. Yuki isnt.

#29 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 13:15

I have no idea what Red Bull's plan is for Ricciardo.

#30 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,817 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 13:16

Anyway, this place is still miles better than dull Abu Dhabi.

Well, literally everything in the world of racing is better than Abu Dhabi to be fair

Edited by LolaB0860, 16 March 2023 - 13:18.

#31 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 13:19

Disclaimer: I can't watch the clip here at work

I don't doubt he said it or someone else did. What I wonder is if James Allen wasn't using the wrong word. 

And my joke comment was that I was wondering that you knew it was wrong usage and name dropped Allen as being uninformed also.

pDBSyO6l.jpg

I would say "recalcitrant" better describes Jean Alesi's pit strategy in the 1997 Australian Grand Prix or the later F1 career of Rene Arnoux.

#32 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,237 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 13:27

The kind of accident that ended Dario Franchitti's career is the one I fear the most on this circuit.

#33 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 13:31

Yeah, up into the catch fences and a sudden stop is a major risk at circuits like this.

#34 NickeyF1

NickeyF1

• 471 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 13:33

The kind of accident that ended Dario Franchitti's career is the one I fear the most on this circuit.

Either that or a nasty t-bone situation. Glad they've changed some parts of T18 - T27 section last year and the new changes for this year look quite good too.

#35 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,070 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 13:40

Are we saying that the FIA/F1 are lax about safety measures when the big bucks are on offer?

If it's been signed off, it's 'safe enough', no?

#36 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,797 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 13:51

They've apparently removed the blind corners now, so hopefully this won't be an issue.

#37 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,817 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 13:53

I believe the first time in this century they started 'relaxing' safety standards for money/whatever reasons was for the Korean GP, where you had that so-called street circuit section with walls near-by at the end of the lap, even though it was otherwise a generic normal Tilkering

This circuit, the biggest problem layout wise for me is that it's all fabricated from nothing, there are zero real streets in this one. There's no need to have things this close.

Also as with all of these F1 night street races apart from maybe Singapore (TBH even that has run it's course), it looks very sterile and boring under the night-for-day lights. The F2 races that are run in daylight or twilight look infinitely better

Left: Construction of a "street circuit"

Right: Construction of a street circuit

jeddah-detroit.png

Edited by LolaB0860, 16 March 2023 - 14:10.

#38 917k

• 2,961 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 14:06

T 22, 23 was mega…sad to see it neutered.

#39 Laster

Laster

• 3,874 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 14:16

I have no idea what Red Bull's plan is for Ricciardo.

He is a marketing exercise for Red Bull, a nice cheery face everyone likes that will help sell more Red Bull cans.

I don’t say this to belittle Ricciardo, I like the guy and think he still has something to offer F1. But bringing back former drivers to race for them isn’t part of Red Bull’s MO. They’re always on the look out for the next young talent coming through, and won’t shy away from putting a young driver in the seat and seeing how they cope with the pressure.

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,288 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 14:19

T 22, 23 was mega…sad to see it neutered.

How melodramatic. They’ve only been adjusted slightly.

#41 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,224 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 14:27

Yeah, up into the catch fences and a sudden stop is a major risk at circuits like this.

And yet, that exact situation happened at normal, traditional circuit last year.

#42 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,224 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 14:31

Did he? I do know Tost has said that he would opt for unproven Red Bull talents should one of his seats become available. But on Horner, I must have missed that. Because I'd say that is an unwise decision. Ricciardo is well trained in the sim and knows the ins and outs of the RB19. Yuki isnt.

Is he really though? Ricciardo isn't the reserve or test driver.

He's basically the new DC, taking old cars for demo runs in marketing events.

#43 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 14:33

And yet, that exact situation happened at normal, traditional circuit last year.

Do you remember which one? I'm drawing a blank, closest I can think of is Alonso and Stroll at Austin but Alonso landed safely and kept going.

#44 renzmann

renzmann

• 5,972 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 14:42

It's still dreadful that F1 is racing in Saudi Arabia. I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

#45 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,224 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 14:47

Do you remember which one? I'm drawing a blank, closest I can think of is Alonso and Stroll at Austin but Alonso landed safely and kept going.

Silverstone start crash. Zhou into the catch fencing.

#46 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 14:47

Silverstone start crash. Zhou into the catch fencing.

Not the same kind of accident as Franchitti's at Houston 2013!

#47 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,070 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 15:04

With the right (i.e. wrong) circumstances, you could have major spectator deaths at every circuit in the world.

#48 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 1,817 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 15:07

It's still dreadful that F1 is racing in Saudi Arabia. I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

Saudi Arabia is open to the idea of hosting two Formula 1 races in the future

https://www.motorspo...races/10384827/

The Saudi Arabian Grand Prix is set to remain at the Jeddah Formula 1 circuit until at least 2027

https://www.motorspo...-2027/10422657/

The Saudi Arabia Grand Prix will be the opening race of the Formula One season in 2024

dont-ask-questions-just-consume-product.

Edited by LolaB0860, 16 March 2023 - 15:08.

#49 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 15:23

I really cannot wait for this weekend!

#50 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,272 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 16:13

Leclerc hit with a grid penalty. Already.

Is this some sort of record? How many drivers have taken penalties in round 2 of the championship? Its going to be a long year for Charles...