Photo

Super Vee at the 1972 German GP

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RacingCompagniet

RacingCompagniet

• 203 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:33

One of the support races at the 1972 German GP was for Formula Super Vee.  In addition to to my F1 images I had shot a handful of images of the Super Vee race as well.  Given my own nationality, it is perhaps not a suprise that it was of the Swedish drivers...

Bror Jaktlund, RPB

Jaktlund.jpg

Freddy Kottulinsky.  According to the race programme, he was driving an RSM-Tasco.

Kottulinsky.jpg

Kennerth Persson, Kaimann

Persson.jpg

Bertil Roos, Horag

Roos.jpg

Rolf Tellsten, Palliser

Tellsten.jpg

Lars-Göran Sjöberg

Advertisement

#2 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 17:05

I’m sure glad you had a camera.

#3 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 17:53

Did Kottulinsky's engine need that much fresh air? From right and left and twice from above?

Kottulinsky.jpg

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,998 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 19:41

One of the support races at the 1972 German GP was for Formula Super Vee.  In addition to to my F1 images I had shot a handful of images of the Super Vee race as well.  Given my own nationality, it is perhaps not a suprise that it was of the Swedish drivers...

Bror Jaktlund, RPB

I liked her in The Wicker Man.

#5 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 03:36

Thank You for scanning and posting these Lars, highest regards.

I’ve loved Super Vee for over 50 years. Many friends here in the States raced in the class, and I’m a sucker for flat-4s as well. A lifetime friend and surrogate Dad won the ‘75 Pro title, an art mentor one ‘77 title (Mini-Indy) and a later friend and client the other (Bosch Gold Cup), and another friend both titles in 1978.

Bless them all.

Your presence on this forum is a sincere pleasure.

#6 RacingCompagniet

RacingCompagniet

• 203 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 07:12

Did Kottulinsky's engine need that much fresh air? From right and left and twice from above?

Kottulinsky.jpg

Well spotted.  One can only guess, but my guess is that the air inlets in the bodywork were not connected - maybe the ducting around the cylinders was not correctly adapted -  and that the hoses were a quick and easy fix.   :confused:

#7 RacingCompagniet

RacingCompagniet

• 203 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 07:13

I liked her in The Wicker Man.

Bror Jaktlund - Britt Ekland.  A Freudian slip?   :lol:

#8 10kDA

10kDA

• 999 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 16:02

Again, excellent pics and thanks for sharing. I loved Super Vees from this era. I almost bought one in the late 70s but try as I might I couldn't make the $$$ part of it work. Which was not uncommon. So it was bikes for me.

#9 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 19:49

Thank you so much for these.

What are good sources for 1973 photos?

Edited by sstiel, 20 March 2023 - 20:39.

#10 RacingCompagniet

RacingCompagniet

• 203 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:47

Thank you so much for these.

What are good sources for 1973 photos?

I am sorry Simon, but I have no suggestions for sources.  Those above are probably the only I have from the 1973 season.

/Lars-Göran

#11 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 15:30

I am sorry Simon, but I have no suggestions for sources.  Those above are probably the only I have from the 1973 season.

/Lars-Göran

From 1973 or 1972?

I'm open to DMs if you like and I can explain more.

#12 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 242 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 17:00

sstiel - I just spoke to Rainer Braun (83). He used to be THE German commentator and journalist regarding national and international races in Germany.

Theoretically he knows everything. Some weeks ago he wrote an article about the Super V race/Nürburgring 1973.

https://www.speedwee...-V-am-Ring.html

Please get in contact with him: braun.sportpresse@t-online.de.

I told him of your request, he might have some ideas and addresses. Good luck!  

#13 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 19:41

Well spotted.  One can only guess, but my guess is that the air inlets in the bodywork were not connected - maybe the ducting around the cylinders was not correctly adapted -  and that the hoses were a quick and easy fix.   :confused:

Cooling on all of these Super Vees looks strange to me.

It would be interesting to see how 2023 examples of these cars provide cooling. For the Kottulinsky car, it would have been sensible to tape over non-functional inlet ducts on the body 51 years ago.

#14 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:10

By this time, these motors were pushing 150 bhp out of a 1600cc motor that had about half that from the factory. Notoriously fragile and almost always ran hot.

Being they were this stressed, and air-cooled, it was a good day when finishing at all.

#15 RacingCompagniet

RacingCompagniet

• 203 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:26

From 1973 or 1972?

I'm open to DMs if you like and I can explain more.

Sorry, I muddled up the years.  What I meant to say is that I don't have any (at least not of a quality worth publishing) from 1973.

#16 RacingCompagniet

RacingCompagniet

• 203 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:37

Cooling on all of these Super Vees looks strange to me.

It would be interesting to see how 2023 examples of these cars provide cooling. For the Kottulinsky car, it would have been sensible to tape over non-functional inlet ducts on the body 51 years ago.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that in 1971, Super Vee retained the fan (at least most of them...) but in 1972 there was a change to direct wind cooling.  Compare  the photos I published in the Super Vee thread from the 1971 German GP with the photos in this thread.  In the 1971 thread there are no signs of air intakes or hoses, while here in the 1972 thread, all cars have some kind of "ram" air intake.  I don't have the regulations readily available, so I don't know if this was a change in regulations, or if someone tried to run withouth the fan and others followed.

I started racing in the "normal" Formula Vee 1300 in 1973.  In that year there was a change of regulations for FVee in Europa allowing the removal of the fan (among other changes almost making the 1300 FVee engine a smaller copy of the 1600 Super Vee).  Problems we had with the wind cooling was that cylinder barrels tended to crack, which led to quite a lot of experimentation as to what the optimal cooling air intakes should look like.