Photo

Driver Life Story Films

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Steve L

Steve L

• 545 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 16:56

I really enjoyed Villeneuve & Pironi and the Jo Siffert film which came out a few years ago. I have also just sent off for the Ronnie Peterson "Super Swede" bluray.

I wondered if anyone knew of similar films currently in development please?

Edited by Steve L, 23 May 2023 - 16:57.

Advertisement

#2 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 07:24

There were several on Sky Arts - Jackie Stewart, Michele Mouton & Bruce McLaren - all well worth a watch

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 09:06

Take a look at my 4 hour+/2 dvd documentary on the Lotus 72: www.lotus72dvd.com
We interviewed John Miles, Emerson Fittipaldi and Peter Warr, lots of the Team Lotus guys plus saloon car racer Dave Brodie who gave us half an hour talking about his best friend Ronnie Peterson. All this for £20!

#4 chr1s

chr1s

• 451 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 20:28

I saw a good one about Peter Revson on Sky a few years back, but I don't think it's ever been repeated. 

#5 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 4,979 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 20:48

An excellent Revson biography was mentioned on the YouTube finds thread a month or so ago. It's not the Sky documentary but is extremely good:

Edited by Sterzo, 24 May 2023 - 20:48.

#6 Steve L

Steve L

• 545 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 05:46

Take a look at my 4 hour+/2 dvd documentary on the Lotus 72: www.lotus72dvd.com
We interviewed John Miles, Emerson Fittipaldi and Peter Warr, lots of the Team Lotus guys plus saloon car racer Dave Brodie who gave us half an hour talking about his best friend Ronnie Peterson. All this for £20!

It is on my list thanks Gary. Trouble is my list is getting ever longer!

#7 Steve L

Steve L

• 545 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 05:49

There were several on Sky Arts - Jackie Stewart, Michele Mouton & Bruce McLaren - all well worth a watch

Those are all great.

A Pedro Rodriguez doc would be good, and surely Mike Hailwood deserves a great "big screen" treatment?

#8 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,599 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:02

surely Mike Hailwood deserves a great "big screen" treatment?

There is one and it was superb, but was made several years ago and I haven't seen it again since.

Edit - It's called An Ordinary Hero, made in 2014.

Edited by Collombin, 25 May 2023 - 07:10.

#9 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 16:08

I know he featured a bit in “Ferrari: Race to Immortality” - a documentary which seems to have its detractors but which I personally enjoyed - but I would be very interested to learn more about Fons de Portago. From a brief scan of his bio he led quite a life. Go on, tell me such a film exists!

#10 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,599 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 16:37

I know he featured a bit in “Ferrari: Race to Immortality” - a documentary which seems to have its detractors but which I personally enjoyed

I think it suffers from its title attracting a completely different audience to those intended. Little about Enzo himself, nothing about Michael Schumacher etc. I think the average TNFer would probably love it though.

#11 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 16:54

Yes, a check of the reviews on IMDB supports this. Oh dear...

#12 Steve L

Steve L

• 545 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 17:12

I know he featured a bit in “Ferrari: Race to Immortality” - a documentary which seems to have its detractors but which I personally enjoyed - but I would be very interested to learn more about Fons de Portago. From a brief scan of his bio he led quite a life. Go on, tell me such a film exists!

Another super film. And great to hear the voice overs from the drivers, including de Portago who came across completely differently from what I gad imagined. It even lead me to chase up a cd of a period recording of him released a long time ago.

#13 amerikalei

amerikalei

• 263 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 12:12

Maybe OT but the film Road, about the Dunlop family of motorcycling fame seemed pretty good to me. 

#14 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:02

Not in development, and in German, yet this docu on Rolf Stommelen I found quite complete and respect full. 

#15 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:30

Some interviews Nigel:

Not sure, but I think all is from the Riverside records.

Edited by Arjan de Roos, 31 May 2023 - 11:33.

#16 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 14:08

Thanks Arjan! I will watch those with interest

#17 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 15:55

Coming home from a recent race on a Qatar Airways flight I watched the first three episodes again of the “Lucky!” documentary series about Bernie Ecclestone. The most bizarre thing was that when they reached 1979-1980, all images showing “Fly Saudia” on the rear wings and engine covers of FW07s were pixellated, and all uses of the word “Saudia” in Murray’s commentary were snipped, causing an audible dropout. Seemed amazingly petty to me. Is the rivalry in the middle eastern airline world really that intense?

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 08 June 2023 - 16:32.

#18 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,033 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 22:02

...Is the rivalry in the middle eastern airline world really that intense?

Well, Qatar and a Saudi-led chunk of the Middle East fell out quite badly a few years back...

https://en.wikipedia...plomatic_crisis

All resolved now officially, but maybe not all the old wounds have been salved.

#19 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 06:59

Thanks Alan. My knowledge of that region’s geo politics is lamentable.

Advertisement

#20 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 07:54

All resolved now officially, but maybe not all the old wounds have been salved.

Or they forgot to unpixellate the pics.  Or, it was simply smiting a rival airline.  There's a dialogue in Rain Man where Dustin Hoffman talks about how the safest airline in the world is Qantas - that was edited out of all other airlines' versions of the film...

#21 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,300 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 09:53

Or they forgot to unpixellate the pics.  Or, it was simply smiting a rival airline.  There's a dialogue in Rain Man where Dustin Hoffman talks about how the safest airline in the world is Qantas - that was edited out of all other airlines' versions of the film...

I was just thinking about that myself. Of course Qantas left it in and everybody cheered when the line was spoken.