Monaco 2023 Build Up thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
954 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 20:29

After the enforced break caused by the cancellation of the Imola race due to the tragic floods in Italy, F1 is back as we get to the most motorsport-y weekend of the year - the Monaco GP and the Indy 500.  
 But that one’s covered elsewhere, we’re all about the most exciting qualifying session of the year as we idly wonder who is going to be bin it first in practice. I say it every year, but when that happens, the real stars of the show, thre marshals are going to be there and they are amazing. All our marshals are heroes, giving their time for free so the whole thing can happen but the Monaco marshals take things to a crazy level in terms of their focussed, practiced speedy track clearing. It’s like some kind of Marshal Olympics, they’re some sort of ninjas and I salute them all.

Like each year we also have to cope with the fact that the actual race is probably going to be…not that great. You can tell by how it inevitably generates threads about why oh why are we still racing here. As I say every year, you make your own fun, even if it’s having fun moaning about how rubbish it is. 

But it isn’t ALWAYS dull. And when action happens here, it REALLY happens. I put this one together a couple of years ago but it  is by no means exhaustive! Add your own!

Monaco's greatest hits

• Ascari crashing into the harbour. As a kid I was always vaguely concerned this might one day somehow happen. Didn't know then it wasn't just a theoretical possibility.
  • 1982 and the race finish described by James Hunt thus: "Well, we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past, and we don't seem to be getting one!" Patrese blinked first and took the race win that seemingly no-one wanted. As a reminder, this was super boring for 98% of the running time…
  • The 1992 duel between Senna and Mansell.
  • Keke Rosberg winning in 1983 with horrifyingly blistered hands.
  • Ayrton Senna and Stefan Bellof having storming  debuts in 1984 in the wet.
  • Ayrton Senna and his mystical experiences during the 1988 qualifying and more prosaic ones during the race the next day, crashing from the lead.
  • Ayrton flying here in 1990.
  • Only three (three!) cars finishing the race in 1996
  • Michael Schumacher being found guilty deliberately crashing in his qualifying to bring out yellow flags and therefore stopping Alonso beating his time.
  • ​Fernando Alonso threatening to lie down before the cars at the race start like Arthur Dent protesting a bypass if the above wasn't punished. 
  • Nico Rosberg later being found not guilty of doing the same thing to Lewis Hamilton in 2014.
  • Kimi breaking the heart of Adrian Sutil by crashing him out of a podium place in 2008.
  • More positively from Michael, this was the scene of his last pole position winning time in 2012 even if a grid penalty meant he didn't get to keep it. Also this from 1996. A thing of wonder from one of the true greats.
  • Hamilton crashing in 2008 and somehow winning
  • Hamilton crashing about three times in 2011 and blowing up the world in his answer about why the stewards kept penalising him.
  • Perez last year winning after crashing at the end of qualifying. (Kind of a recurring theme, huh) Also kind of a long fuse on that one for the Red Bull internal team dynamic.
  • Many more things I've forgotten. Why not add more in the thread?

When is this on?

Don’t forget this all kicks of on Friday now, not Thursday. 

All times BST:

FP1    Fri  1230

FP2    Fri  1600

FP3    Sat  1130

Q.      Sat  1500

Race  Sun 1400

e. PS It might rain on Sunday.

Advertisement

#2 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 20:31

New double waved yellow flag rules ahoy.

Lap times in qualifying are deleted when double yellows are out to discourage drivers from taking risks.

However, when running behind the safety car or virtual safety car, the presence of a double yellow flag area did not trigger any extra requirement to further slow down. 

And in fact, with the way timing deltas worked on those occasions, drivers could sometimes be running faster than normal in a section of track to recover time lost earlier in a sector.

From now on, however, drivers will be forced to hit a designated speed limit specifically through a double yellow flag area when they are under safety car or virtual safety car conditions.

https://www.autospor...llows/10473011/

#3 FLB

FLB

• 29,564 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 20:33

Will somebody please stop overregulating things...?

#4 Sam1

Sam1

• 811 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 20:36

Wonder If Merc can win if it rains

#5 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 20:48

I forgot this one in Monaco’s greatest hits.

Button untouchable in any punishment because he was only back for this race in the first place.

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 20:58

Don’t forget this all kicks of on Friday now, not Thursday. 

What is this bullshit?

#7 FLB

FLB

• 29,564 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:00

What is this bullshit?

FOM. They're doing the support series on Thursday still, but part of the new contract is to have F1 on a 'normal' Friday. The formal reason given last year was that it makes the weekend more compact for the F1 teams, a necessity cosidering the proximity of other races.

Edited by FLB, 24 May 2023 - 21:04.

#8 Anja

Anja

• 10,284 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:00

Best chance of the year for a non-RBR winner?

#9 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,084 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:01

Button untouchable in any punishment because he was only back for this race in the first place.

I remember during the broadcast that they had Alonso (from Indy) talking to Button while he was in the car as he was subbing for Alonzo. I 'll always remember Alonso telling him to take care of the car & Button responding that he was going to pee Alonso's seat!

Edited by GlenWatkins, 24 May 2023 - 21:02.

#10 FLB

FLB

• 29,564 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:02

Best chance of the year for a non-RBR winner?

So far. 

But maybe not judging on last year's winner.

#11 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:06

New double waved yellow flag rules ahoy.

https://www.autospor...llows/10473011/

But only under SC/VSC...

This is a result of the investigation into Gasly (and others) speeding past that crane at Suzuka last year. https://www.fia.com/...nese-grand-prix One of the measures to be implented was: "Dynamic VSC: implementation of a new function that would change the delta speed required for the driver to follow before and in the sectors where there is an incident, this would aid the drivers to know where incidents have been declared (to be implemented by the start of the 2023 season)."

They were supposed to test the system in Baku, but for some reason they ended up not doing it. https://forums.autos...0#entry10240990

#12 F1Gui

F1Gui

• 287 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:11

1996 - Damon Hill driving for Williams was on his way to certain victory when the Renault V10 detonated itself. One of many retirements that day leaving the door open to Olivier Panis to win his one and only F1 race. Probably the most exciting Monaco race ever.

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:13

If only he had crashed through the poster depicting a fake harbour, Wil E. Coyote style.

#14 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,043 posts

Dunno if I can wake up for the race as there’s that big pre-500 party in NYC I’ve been invited to.

Maybe tape it on the tour bus VCR !!?

Gotta work all Sunday though.

My life…. Cursed and Charmed.
Jp

#15 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,596 posts

You can't get more drunk on a yacht in 4 days than you can in 3.

This sounds a very flawed hypothesis but worth testing nonetheless. Can you supply the yacht?

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:15

If only he had crashed through the poster depicting a fake harbour, Wil E. Coyote style.

How is that reclamation coming on the other side of that wall? Will we finally get to see what's going on this year?

#17 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,084 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:16

I thought that there a religious event or observation in Monaco that prohibited cars running on Friday?

#18 Beri

Beri

• 11,530 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:20

How is that reclamation coming on the other side of that wall? Will we finally get to see what's going on this year?

The sea will never be visible anymore from that Portier corner.

Makes you melancholic, doesn't it?

84ce68f45244f8da20278b0c94d1ab3d.jpg

#19 FLB

FLB

• 29,564 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:21

I thought that there a religious event or observation in Monaco that prohibited cars running on Friday?

The race used to be tied to Ascencion Day, which is a Christian holiday that comes the Thursday six weeks after Good Friday. It's a bank holiday in Monaco... and it was last week.

Advertisement

#20 FLB

FLB

• 29,564 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:24

Hmmm... Senna... Virage du Portier... (I can't believe this was 35 years ago  :( )

zp8feba3w0y01.jpg

Edited by FLB, 24 May 2023 - 21:24.

#21 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,043 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:25

Can’t they get Shabbas drivers to do the heavy lifting on Friday. With all the turning and the shifting and the braking… Oi.

Lots of work.
Jp

#22 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:26

Not really. I'm neutral about it. But I'd rather see whatever is there rather than a fake backdrop that looks like something out of a PS1 game.

#23 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:30

This is a great photo and makes me wonder how many other circuits have cars running over the ocean or sheer drops or pits of scorpions that are just out of camera shot.

#24 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:45

Monaco's greatest miss

• Somehow the cameras entirely missing Montoya's pole lap in 2002.

:mad:  ):      :)  ):

#25 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:50

I'm gonna leave this 30 years old warm-up build-up here simply because Ken Tyrrell was in the commentary booth and there were some interesting discussions and some nice footage from Monaco.

#26 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,745 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:50

Who will benefit most from causing a red flag on Saturday?

#27 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,510 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 21:52

It was the same last year.

I think the locals realised what a borefest the event is and just want it over in 3 days. You can't get more drunk on a yacht in 4 days than you can in 3.

Really?  Hold my beer...

j/k

#28 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,032 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 22:20

Fun Red Bull fact: Mark Webber is the only Red Bull driver to have won Monaco twice. (Though we know Daniel Ricciardo should have...)

Webber and Ricciardo also both won in Monaco on the same day in 2010.

#29 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,085 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 22:31

giphy.gif

#30 romaincrouton

romaincrouton

• 679 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 23:01

Ahhh what’s that German word for being nostalgic for something you have never experienced…. That image is beautiful

#31 romaincrouton

romaincrouton

• 679 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 23:07

Anemoia… not German but new apparently

#32 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 1,946 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 23:22

Gonna do a rain dance!  :rotfl:

#33 loki

loki

• 12,105 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:04

You can't get more drunk on a yacht in 4 days than you can in 3.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

#34 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 01:39

Gonna do a rain dance!  :rotfl:

Don't dance too hard or they won't be able to start the race!

#35 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,416 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 06:11

Don't forget this Schuamcher incident in 2010.

The rules that year allowed overtaking from the safety car line, which Schumacher took advantage of, only to be told later he couldn't under those specific circumstances.

He was given a 20s time penalty, which is much more than is given for punting other cars off the track now!

#36 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,907 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:07

Another life saved by the halo!

#37 southernstars

southernstars

• 2,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:12

Don't forget this Schuamcher incident in 2010.

The rules that year allowed overtaking from the safety car line, which Schumacher took advantage of, only to be told later he couldn't under those specific circumstances.

He was given a 20s time penalty, which is much more than is given for punting other cars off the track now!

I still remember sitting there, already delighted by Mark's emphatic victory, being even more delighted by such an example of Schumacher brilliance.

And then the commentators noted that the driver steward was Damon Hill, and I went "well, he's getting a penalty no matter if it's allowed or not I guess."

I still can't believe that Damon Hill was allowed to steward a race Michael Schumacher was competing in. Nobody looked at that and went "seems like a bad idea"?

#38 CSF

CSF

• 2,812 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:18

I still remember sitting there, already delighted by Mark's emphatic victory, being even more delighted by such an example of Schumacher brilliance.

And then the commentators noted that the driver steward was Damon Hill, and I went "well, he's getting a penalty no matter if it's allowed or not I guess."

I still can't believe that Damon Hill was allowed to steward a race Michael Schumacher was competing in. Nobody looked at that and went "seems like a bad idea"?

I still can't believe driver steward Derek Warwick, is allowed to go on TV and declare which driver in a two horse race he wishes to win the title.  :lol:

#39 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,423 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:38

Monaco is at its best in a dominant season as we see drivers in less competitive machinery get a chance.

Brilliant wins for Coulthard in 2002, Trulli 2004, almost for Kimi & Webber in 2006, almost Ricciardo in 2016 stand out.

Edited by SpeedRacer`, 25 May 2023 - 07:38.

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,983 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:45

Even though Damon called it correctly, and overtaking was not allowed on the run up to the line on the last lap.

#41 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 3,292 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 08:11

I wasn't sure if it's Thu or Fri.... hoped it kicks off today.... 

Monaco is kind of special, they could have gone ahead with Thu... 

#42 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 08:21

I still find it amazing that some still think the driver steward is the one responsible for dishing out penalties. Do you even know how he voted?

#43 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,268 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:14

I went to Monaco a few weeks ago and had a wander around the track. You really can't believe how narrow some of it is, especially given the speed they're doing in some sections.

Anyway - really looking forward to it. I have a feeling Red Bull are bearable this weekend. Especially with the threat of rain on Sunday.

#44 CSF

CSF

• 2,812 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:31

I still find it amazing that some still think the driver steward is the one responsible for dishing out penalties. Do you even know how he voted?

Damon has said several times how he voted. 

#45 GenJackRipper

GenJackRipper

• 280 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:34

One can't really overstate how awesome the marshals are. A crash at Massenet; one lap later, the car and all debris is gone and the race can be resumed.
Why the FIA dosen't demand all circuits send their personel to the ACM for training is beyond me. All races would get along much better if their marshals were half as efficient as those in Monaco.

Practically done. I do think the barriers are gone now.
I wonder what the view over the circuit is like from the apartments on the top floors of the new buildings?

#46 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,327 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:42

Best Friday and Saturday of the year, seeing the times just tumble lap after lap and session after session is great to watch as the drivers push the envelope more and more. I want to see just how much the field closes up on Red Bull or if the RB19 has now also got the slow speed, traction heavy tracks covered. Hoping for a Ferrari pole and win, they need to make up for last year in a major way because I still can’t believe they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory so effortlessly.

#47 GenJackRipper

GenJackRipper

• 280 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:51

Best Friday and Saturday of the year, seeing the times just tumble lap after lap and session after session is great to watch as the drivers push the envelope more and more. I want to see just how much the field closes up on Red Bull or if the RB19 has now also got the slow speed, traction heavy tracks covered. Hoping for a Ferrari pole and win, they need to make up for last year in a major way because I still can’t believe they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory so effortlessly.

Homeboy Charles needs to crush that curse of his!
Hope he spends the day praying in Eglise Saint Devote.

Daghe Charles!

#48 NickeyF1

NickeyF1

• 470 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:53

https://kachelmannwe...ro/niederschlag

nearly all forecast models except of ECMWF (European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts) suggesting quite some rain for Sunday, but when the rain arrives / stops still unclear.

Edited by NickeyF1, 25 May 2023 - 09:57.

#49 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,879 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 10:24

Damon has said several times how he voted. 

Yes, he voted to follow the rules. Not a really big deal.

#50 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 10:29

Pit exit rules and light panels as explained in the F2 event notes. :)

Image link: https://i.ibb.co/PWB...nacopitexit.jpg (It doesn't seem to load with the forum in desktop/full version.)

monacopitexit.jpg

Edited by ANF, 25 May 2023 - 10:35.