Photo

Francesco Oriani

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:59

In the book "Ferdinando Minoia. Driving as an Art" by our Alessandro Silva and Ferdinando Minoia, Jr., talking about Minoia's family, the authors wrote that Francesco, one of the brothers of his mother, Gina Orini, was killed in a motorcycle racing accident. So, his name was Francesco Orini.

This fatal accident is totally new to my knowledge.

Do you know more information, details, date and place of death?

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 26 May 2023 - 15:39.

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 19:35

In early 1904, there was a rider named Orini who had some success in track racing on a Türkheimer, winning the 100 km Criterium d'Apertura at Milan on March 20, for example. Apparently, this rider was killed in mid April (I don't have an exact date) during the Pavia - Binasco - Pavia road race - the wording of a photo caption in La Stampa Sportiva is somewhat ambiguous:

Il rimpianto motociclista Vittorio Orini vittima di una disgraziata caduta fatta nella corse Pavia-Binasco-Pavia

As you can see, his first name is given as Vittorio, but he is the only Orini in my data base. However, I notice in La Stampa Sportiva that there was another Orini active in cycling, whom I found in a 1905 cycle race alongside Minoia himself - perhaps there's a confusion?

Edited by Michael Ferner, 28 May 2023 - 19:37.