Photo

Research via race programmes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Garsted

Garsted

• 183 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 10:35

Maybe this belongs in Historical Research, but things can get a bit overlooked there, and I thought it deserved a wider public.

I have recently been introduced to a website called

progcovers.com

which seems an amazing resource. It has a vast collection of motor racing event programmes (car, bike and hydroplane) scanned in. Not just the covers but the pages too, some with the original owners annotated results.

It has national club level events as well as international stuff, and has uncovered a number of events my old club racer was in. 

I am in awe of the time folks must have spent scanning this stuff, but we should all be grateful. I hope you find it useful.

Steve

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,202 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 16:02

Thanks, appreciated. Goes to show how important it is to find a proper name for your website - I am VERY MUCH interested in old programmes, but have never checked progcovers.com even though I knew about it for eons.

#3 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 353 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 08:27

Thanks for the link, Garsted. I spent a happy hour when I should have been writing, researching programmes from the first few F1 races I ever attended as a little terror in the '60s. I think my brother has the originals somewhere, but reading things like Graham Hill's description of how to drive Brands Hatch in a 1.5litre F1 car is fascinating. I remember reading it at the time and thinking 140mph on the straight must be amazing... then in '66 they were doing a good 40mph more! And nowadays...

#4 FlyingSaucer

FlyingSaucer

• 76 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 13:14

Does anyone knows who the Adm of progcovers.com is?

I'm trying to look for a contact email to see if there is space for a contribution, but there is nothing on the website about it.

#5 68targa

68targa

• 1,148 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 13:50

Strange that the link has gone. It used to be Malcolm Mitchell maybe he has given it up.  I have sent you a PM

#6 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 11:05

Still seems to be alive and well at https://progcovers.com/

It did disappear a week or so ago, then reappeared - maybe changing web host or something equally technical?