- - - - -

Best locations to take photos at an F1 weekend

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JordanIreland

JordanIreland

• 517 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 16:01

I’m curious if there are any recommendations as to the best locations for different tracks to take photos?

Having an official photographer pass would be the best, but for regular attendees, can you recommend some prime locations to really see the cars in action?

Advertisement

#2 Currahee

Currahee

• 596 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 19:11

For Spa i'd say walk up towards Blanchimont and take pics through the trees.

#3 JordanIreland

JordanIreland

• 517 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 19:30

For Spa i'd say walk up towards Blanchimont and take pics through the trees.

That does sound fantastic, were you able to take photos there yourself? Would love to see any results you might have. If you’re okay to share.

#4 Currahee

Currahee

• 596 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 20:08

I did take a wander up there for qualifying and it was superb. I didn't take a camera as I was hopeless for losing things but there was a few guys up there taking pics.

#5 Beri

Beri

• 11,530 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 20:16

Another one for Spa: Take a camera with a good lens to zoom in, and stand on the inside of Bruxelles on the high ground. If you are lucky and there are no fans standing in your way (like during the free practices) you can take uninterrupted shots from above somewhat into the cockpit as the fences are low and the cars drive slowly there.
Also the run towards Bruxelles from Les Combes do offer great shots as cars are diving down there. There are a couple of vantage points to take uninterrupted shots.

#6 JordanIreland

JordanIreland

• 517 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 21:52

I did take a wander up there for qualifying and it was superb. I didn't take a camera as I was hopeless for losing things but there was a few guys up there taking pics.

Thank you for sharing, I’ll put it on the list !!

#7 JordanIreland

JordanIreland

• 517 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 21:53

Another one for Spa: Take a camera with a good lens to zoom in, and stand on the inside of Bruxelles on the high ground. If you are lucky and there are no fans standing in your way (like during the free practices) you can take uninterrupted shots from above somewhat into the cockpit as the fences are low and the cars drive slowly there.
Also the run towards Bruxelles from Les Combes do offer great shots as cars are diving down there. There are a couple of vantage points to take uninterrupted shots.

These are the locations I’m looking for, thank you.

#8 JordanIreland

JordanIreland

• 517 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 21:54

This website seems to have a good collection of circuit tips: http://www.inmotion-...a-catalunya.php

#9 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,173 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 22:01

As an amateur photographer (i.e. I take pictures with my iPhone), low-speed corners are usually great, because it’s easier to get everything properly in focus and you can usually get closer to the track in places where the cars are moving more slowly.

#10 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,324 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 11:53

There are (or were in the 1980s) some superb places along the western shore of Isle Notre Dame, Gilles Villeneuve circuit where I used to sneak into resulting in some pretty neat shots.

#11 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,214 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 14:52

red-bull-baku-2016-12.jpg

This Baku setting (pictured in 2016) is cool.

#12 masa90

masa90

• 2,031 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 12:50

Budapest is good with loads of differencies on height. Usually "flat" circuits are hard, because you are pretty much only limited to the stands.

#13 JordanIreland

JordanIreland

• 517 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 13:00

There are (or were in the 1980s) some superb places along the western shore of Isle Notre Dame, Gilles Villeneuve circuit where I used to sneak into resulting in some pretty neat shots.

Sounds great. Any photos you can share?

#14 JordanIreland

JordanIreland

• 517 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 13:02

Budapest is good with loads of differencies on height. Usually "flat" circuits are hard, because you are pretty much only limited to the stands.

Excellent point. Different elevations should open up nice opportunities.

#15 masa90

masa90

• 2,031 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 19:09

Also some venus have different policies, like Monza used to have fridays where you could visit any stands so you could get many different views to the track. This also was nice in showing that there are/were quite many areas there with to be honest really limited view to track.

#16 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,762 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 08:09

Also some venus have different policies, like Monza used to have fridays where you could visit any stands so you could get many different views to the track. This also was nice in showing that there are/were quite many areas there with to be honest really limited view to track.

Sadly indeed this was discontinued last year. I asked to get into a stand in FP2 at Ascari for a few minutes to get some shots, which had three people sat in it, and the security guy said "no, not allowed". Quite disappointing. But there are still some good shots to be had around Monza, but after Friday it's more difficult.

This is why I'm vehemently against reducing Friday practice as this is by far the best day for fans to rove around the circuit and get good photos of the action.

Edited by JimmyClark, 12 June 2023 - 08:09.

#17 Beri

Beri

• 11,530 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 09:56

At Monza, there is a photographers stand/tower hanging somewhat on the inside over the Parabo..uhhh.. Curva Michele Alboreto. As a spectator with bronze tickets you can get quite close too. Just not up the photographers stand. But near that place this offers a great picture place too. Because it's right at the apex and there are possibilities to get uninterrupted shots if you pick your place right. Read; climb in a tree and snap your pictures through the gaps in the fences.

This is taken from that tower;
Parabolica-The-perfect-inspiration-1.png