• 3,722 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 02:24

Advertisement

#2 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,024 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:34

iNTERESTING and totally new to me.

At the same time I LOATHE needing a computer (my opinion of smart phone is not printable on a family site) to read gearhead news nowadays. :down:

Now, 50 Copo versions of  that engine in the last Camaros woulld be a send off equal to what Dodge is doing with the Challenger.

#3 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,722 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 15:22

iNTERESTING and totally new to me.

At the same time I LOATHE needing a computer (my opinion of smart phone is not printable on a family site) to read gearhead news nowadays. :down:

Now, 50 Copo versions of  that engine in the last Camaros woulld be a send off equal to what Dodge is doing with the Challenger.

It could be done, and  it would be a very cool car, but expensive as there is no production-line version of the RO7 NASCAR V8. It's essentially a toolroom engine. 

That said, there are probably 50 people willing to pay the $200K or whatever. 

#4 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 01:01

I'm guessing that engine made more power than the regular Cup engine due to removal of restrictors?

The Camaro qualified just over 4s ahead of the fastest GTEAm and 37th outright.

It finished the race 39th, completing 285 laps, compared to the GTEAm winner's 313.

Edited by Wuzak, 13 June 2023 - 01:44.

#5 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 01:37

#6 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,722 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 18:54

I'm guessing that engine made more power than the regular Cup engine due to removal of restrictors?

The Camaro qualified just over 4s ahead of the fastest GTEAm and 37th outright.

It finished the race 39th, completing 285 laps, compared to the GTEAm winner's 313.

Without the restrictors the engine is easily capable of 900+ hp but they reduced the revs to ensure the engine and drivetrain would last 24 hours. 

They haven't released any real  details yet. Hoping to hear more. 

#7 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 13:33

I noticed they had paddle shift. Normal NASCAR still uses the stick?

I know the current generation uses sequential shift, so shouldn't have been too difficult to change to paddle shift.

#8 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,722 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 13:58

I noticed they had paddle shift. Normal NASCAR still uses the stick?

I know the current generation uses sequential shift, so shouldn't have been too difficult to change to paddle shift.

yes, sequential lever. As you surely know, the next-gen Cup car runs the Australian X-trac transaxle. 

#9 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 14:38

Did it run on the wine waste derived sustainable fuel like the other cars?

I am not very up to date on all the sustainable fuel plans coming in but an obvious question would be - are themaximum tank capacities based on volume or total BTU potential?

Alcohol which is from corn so presumably "sustainable" has a much lower calorific value per litre so logically bigger tanks are needed.

I suppose it ironical that , once you accept alky fuel as non-fossil then US single seater racing has ben green since 1923 and the Miller engines!

#10 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,722 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 20:38

After the deadly gasoline fire in 1964, Indy cars used methanol exclusively until 2007, when IndyCar switched to corn ethanol.

The V6 engine formula adopted in 2012 has used E85 gasoline. 

Starting this year, Shell is supplying sugarcane-based ethanol from its plant in Brazil. 

#11 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 03:26

I saw somewhere that the NASCAR had some gearbox issues in the last few hours, which explains why they were so many laps down.

#12 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 17 June 2023 - 14:59

Driver 61 has some info on the car

The gearbox did, indeed, blow up - a clip of it happening is in the video.

#13 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 15:33

I didnt go to Le Mans but I did go to  the American Speedfest at Brands Hatch on Saturday and the garage 56 LM Camaro was on display for a very close up look.

It looks very NASCAR inside but serious aero work too - rear diffuser, dive planes etc and very low ride height. I woudl post pics but I don't know how!

It is the Corvette 70th birthday so they had a Vette race with 20 entries, mostly big blocks so um , loud. Magoo might be amused to know the safety/pace car was Tesla.

#14 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 05:05

The Nissan was a full on joke,, the Nascar was a competitive car. It seems to good for the GTE cars. 

Maybe they needed the white flag for them instead!

#15 flatlandsman

flatlandsman

• 577 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 08:31

To be fair it was not built compete with GT/E. it was always going to be faster but always likely to be less reliable, I think it only ran a 5 speed tranny, but they did stuff like jack lift in stops etc. It was run by Hendrick largely. Quick on the straights and better than expected in turns, obviously powerful but no BoP as it was in its own class.

The new Mustang is clearly far more of a GT3 car built to this regs and we will see how that goes. And with Corvette proving they can build a good GT3 car now and offering customer cars that should mean a decent showing in Europe and the States.