Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

RUMOUR: Toyota to buy Audi’s share of Sauber F1 (Split)

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 speedx

speedx

• 462 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 14:14

New rumour:

BREAKING NEWS: According to Japanese media, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing is set to take over Audi Sport's shares in Sauber F1!

Toyota GR has been driving very successfully in the FIA WEC and the WRC - FIA World Rally Championship for years. Under the leadership of ex-Formula 1 driver Kamui Kobayashi as team boss, there will now be a racing team in the premier class again.

The takeover will take place together with McLaren, which will purchase its engines from Toyota from 2026.

In addition to Kobayashi as team boss, Ryo Hirakawa is also scheduled as a driver. The 29-year-old Japanese, who is already WEC world champion, Le Mans winner, Super GT champion and two-time SUPER FORMULA runner-up, was accepted into the McLaren Driver Development Program a few weeks ago.

14 days ago Hirakawa tested a 2021 MCL35M in Barcelona.

Toyota competed in Formula 1 with its own works team from 2002 to 2009. Despite having the highest budget of all racing teams, they were unable to win a Grand Prix.

The best result was P4 for the constructors in the 2005 season when Jarno Trulli and Ralf Schumacher took P2 twice and P3 three times, as well as a pole.

Advertisement

#2 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,873 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 14:31

And Alonso is already a Toyota Driver, or at least were.

#3 macjim

macjim

• 180 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 15:02

New rumour:

BREAKING NEWS: According to Japanese media, TOYOTA GAZOO Racing is set to take over Audi Sport's shares in Sauber F1!

Toyota GR has been driving very successfully in the FIA WEC and the WRC - FIA World Rally Championship for years. Under the leadership of ex-Formula 1 driver Kamui Kobayashi as team boss, there will now be a racing team in the premier class again.

The takeover will take place together with McLaren, which will purchase its engines from Toyota from 2026.

In addition to Kobayashi as team boss, Ryo Hirakawa is also scheduled as a driver. The 29-year-old Japanese, who is already WEC world champion, Le Mans winner, Super GT champion and two-time SUPER FORMULA runner-up, was accepted into the McLaren Driver Development Program a few weeks ago.

Toyota competed in Formula 1 with its own works team from 2002 to 2009. Despite having the highest budget of all racing teams, they were unable to win a Grand Prix.

The best result was P4 for the constructors in the 2005 season when Jarno Trulli and Ralf Schumacher took P2 twice and P3 three times, as well as a pole.

We've went from Audi buying McLaren to McLaren buying up their shares in Sauber -  Beggars belief. 

I can't honestly see what's in it for McLaren, after all we had to borrow $150M only a few years ago and flog the MTC, Maybe potential works engines but we'd still be a customer of Toyota  - who would get first call on engine decisions.

#4 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,556 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 15:13

I suppose it could be a deal whereby McLaren gets the works Toyota engine and Sauber becomes the formal/informal B-/junior team (Gazoo Racing?), i.e. Toyota would just be an engine supplier rather than a full factory entrant. 

#5 Widefoot2

Widefoot2

• 2,321 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 15:39

I suppose it could be a deal whereby McLaren gets the works Toyota engine and Sauber becomes the formal/informal B-/junior team (Gazoo Racing?), i.e. Toyota would just be an engine supplier rather than a full factory entrant. 

Could work, but I'm with those a little confused why a manufacturer would come in with the billion-plus $/£ cost of starting a new IC engine program when it does seem likely that market is drawing to a close.

#6 taran

taran

• 4,556 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 17:24

Could work, but I'm with those a little confused why a manufacturer would come in with the billion-plus $/£ cost of starting a new IC engine program when it does seem likely that market is drawing to a close.

Actually, Toyota's boss has gone on record that he doesn't believe EV is the (only) answer and Toyota is developing other options too. That includes hydrogen and ICE because they think the entire world will not be able to shift to EV's or it might be impracticable in some regions.

https://fortune.com/...ings-elon-musk/

https://www.drive.co...electric-power/

https://www.theguard...-cynical-attack

Edited by taran, 31 October 2023 - 17:27.

#7 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,873 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 17:38

We've went from Audi buying McLaren to McLaren buying up their shares in Sauber -  Beggars belief. 

I can't honestly see what's in it for McLaren, after all we had to borrow $150M only a few years ago and flog the MTC, Maybe potential works engines but we'd still be a customer of Toyota  - who would get first call on engine decisions.

Andretti giving them $20 million as their entry fee, it's right there in the Concorde Agreement - another $25 million from Palou.

#8 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,873 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 17:39

Actually, Toyota's boss has gone on record that he doesn't believe EV is the (only) answer and Toyota is developing other options too. That includes hydrogen and ICE because they think the entire world will not be able to shift to EV's or it might be impracticable in some regions.

https://fortune.com/...ings-elon-musk/

https://www.drive.co...electric-power/

https://www.theguard...-cynical-attack

Don't tell TennisUK.

#9 loki

loki

• 13,469 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 19:06

Gazoo?  I love that guy…

The_Great_Gazoo.png

#10 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,540 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 20:46

New rumour:

Source?

There are lots of F1 fans who think that Toyota will be back. But do far these many stories were all denied in a way we saw when Hayakawa was signed by McLaren. Perhaps now, there is another source of rumors who wants to reduce its business risks by involving Toyota into this mess? It is not very logical, IMHO, for Toyota to go with Sauber when they have own racing division in Germany. It operated the last F1 bid and, the current WRC.

#11 flatlandsman

flatlandsman

• 577 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 20:53

Toyota I can understand going into f1 more than Audi they have unfinished business and they have won all there is to win in WEC and now the competition is going to get harder they are going to run away to f1.

#12 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,515 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 20:59

This is outrageous enough to deserve it’s own thread.

#13 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 21,373 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:08

Source?

There are lots of F1 fans who think that Toyota will be back. But do far these many stories were all denied in a way we saw when Hayakawa was signed by McLaren. Perhaps now, there is another source of rumors who wants to reduce its business risks by involving Toyota into this mess? It is not very logical, IMHO, for Toyota to go with Sauber when they have own racing division in Germany. It operated the last F1 bid and, the current WRC.

I dunno the source here, but I did see this same rumor yesterday morning, posted by a well-respected poster with knowledge of and contacts in the automotive industry. Who knows ...

Would love to know where it originated though.

Edited by AustinF1, 31 October 2023 - 21:10.

#14 dissident

dissident

• 1,840 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:11

what

#15 FLB

FLB

• 32,976 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:14

I dunno the source here, but I did see this same rumor yesterday morning, posted by a well-respected poster with knowledge of and contacts in the automotive industry. Who knows ...

Same.

But there were rumours back in June that the BoP kerfuffle at Le Mans had angered Toyota enough to make it reconsider its future in the FIA WEC.

#16 H0R

H0R

• 4,430 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:16

Is there any source for this rumour except of the opening post?

#17 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,114 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:19

Someone was mucking around on Twitter adding to the alleged ‘paddock rumour’ and came up with this one.

#18 FLB

FLB

• 32,976 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:21

There was this in September: McLaren forging closer ties with Toyota as F1 rumours swirl (motorsport.com)

This was Kamui Kobayashi at the Japanese Grand-Prix. It was a No then, but if a new opportunity has presented itself (i.e. Sauber/Audi not happening)...

“For now, it's clearly no," he said when asked by Motorsport.com about Toyota's interest in F1. "This deal is really purely focusing on a driver, supporting a driver's dream. 

"At the moment, it really has nothing to do with that. I know, of course, you can think about it, and there are a lot of rumours.  

“But I can clearly say that it's no, and nothing to do with it. For the future, we never know." 

Edited by FLB, 31 October 2023 - 21:22.

#19 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,540 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:23

No surprise that a source is from US or Canada, as one of the post identifying the new control on AUDI taken by an American/Canadian AUDI representative after its restructuring.
So, the rumor can have still the identical plot. To rid AUDI of its contractural responsibility it owes to Sauber F1, in order for them to concentrate AUDI for new direction after restructuring, after the company defined its direction. The plot says Toyota is an easy target for AUDI, to fortify Toyota with the rumors that it joins F1, to force Toyota to replace its role.

Like I said, this does make very little sense from Toyora, because if it wants to join with full works team, it has German base. If it wants to join as PU supplier it has other teams, which are more successful. Putting up new own outfit may reduce its chance to power such racing team that want works deal.

So, I say this is a fake news.

Edited by kumo7, 31 October 2023 - 21:26.

Advertisement

#20 ANF

ANF

• 32,187 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:26

New rumour:

BREAKING NEWS: According to Japanese media

What Japanese media?

#21 H0R

H0R

• 4,430 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:28

It is not even on Reddit which is probably the worst cesspool in regards to rumours. 

BREAKING NEWS: Nigerian media reports that Lando Norris is pregnant.

Just as likely.

#22 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,540 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:30

Same.

But there were rumours back in June that the BoP kerfuffle at Le Mans had angered Toyota enough to make it reconsider its future in the FIA WEC.

Precisely. It is the new CEO, as well. But, denied the rumor in October. He said F1 does not operates in such a manner. But he told the journal that such a question is better suited for fun talks rather than a serious press interview.

#23 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,249 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:38

#24 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,176 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:42

I’m calling bull on this…

#25 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,381 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:46

Maybe Toyota smell blood in the water and are asking the question, which then turns into "its a done deal"

#26 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 65,649 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:49

I love this rumour!

#27 danmills

danmills

• 3,489 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:54

This needs the dude with the slow blink meme.

#28 Anja

Anja

• 11,058 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 21:59

I like a good rumour but this one seems like randomly made up by someone, no actual sources whatsoever.

#29 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,540 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 22:00

Do we have our new Xmas present ready?

#30 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 65,649 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 22:04

I like a good rumour but this one seems like randomly made up by someone, no actual sources whatsoever.

The thread title says RUMOUR at the beginning, that's a kind of source

#31 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 21,373 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 22:05

I love this rumour!

giphy.gif

#32 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 12,436 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 22:05

TBF F1's current engine regs would fit better with Toyota than most other manufacturers, due to their belief in hybrids forming a core part of their model range now and into the future.

I don't really see what is in it for Mclaren though to be partnering up with them - seems an expensive way to get a new and unproven engine supplier?

Edited by krapmeister, 31 October 2023 - 22:06.

#33 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,114 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 22:10

This was where it originated:

https://x.com/fifthg...jNzYI1wHgQ5OZzw

The guy just spits random **** to get impressions on Twitter. Folk bite.

#34 ANF

ANF

• 32,187 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 22:23

I don't know a single letter of Japanese, but that didn't stop me from googling in Japanese by copying the words Toyota, Audi and Formula 1 from the Japanese Wikipedia.

Here's what I found:

Edited by ANF, 31 October 2023 - 22:24.

#35 speedx

speedx

• 462 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 22:34

I also think it will not happen.

Toyota has all infrastructure at Cologne. They would not need another one in Hinwil.
And Finn Rausing would sell only if the new buyer keeps F1 Team in Hinwil. I think that was the condition for a contract with Audi.

I've read the news on formelaustria.at

I heard on one Podcast that Audi wanted a meeting with Finn Rausing. They met few weeks ago.

There is smoke for sure, but will it really happen? Who knows....

#36 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,887 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 22:39

I have zero trust in Audi right now, given their past actions in all series they partook in - from WEC to GTs to TCR to FE to DTM to F1 now. This is a brand run by boardroom executives that are too fiscally conservative for their own good. Not Racers.

Toyota Gazoo have proven their metal, in WRC, in WEC, in BTCC, in Nascar ( not Gazoo but still ) - they are serious and are now Racers to their core. 

This is a great RUMOUR to witness and hope it lands. 

#37 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,540 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 22:52

This was where it originated:

https://x.com/fifthg...jNzYI1wHgQ5OZzw

The guy just spits random **** to get impressions on Twitter. Folk bite.

Just 43 words twittering post making pages of discussion could only mean that this could either be a harassment to Toyota or truth concerning AUDI…

#38 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,502 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 23:29

I saw this earlier today on twitter and scrolled past it because clearly this was fake news (just like about everything on twitter since Albert Fabrega decided to act like a teenager)

I don't know a single letter of Japanese, but that didn't stop me from googling in Japanese by copying the words Toyota, Audi and Formula 1 from the Japanese Wikipedia.

Here's what I found:

the link you cant access is a blog post that basically goes like "why I think Toyota should enter F1, 10 reasons"

#39 GuilhermeMach

GuilhermeMach

• 300 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 23:36

I have zero trust in Audi right now, given their past actions in all series they partook in - from WEC to GTs to TCR to FE to DTM to F1 now. This is a brand run by boardroom executives that are too fiscally conservative for their own good. Not Racers.

This is exactly the reason why I never understood why anyone thinks VAG's involvement in F1 is a good thing. They have spend more than a decade feeding rumours about entering, but only on their conditions, which is exactly how we ended up with the 2026 engine regulations.

Advertisement

#40 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,540 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 01:06

I saw this earlier today on twitter and scrolled past it because clearly this was fake news (just like about everything on twitter since Albert Fabrega decided to act like a teenager)

the link you cant access is a blog post that basically goes like "why I think Toyota should enter F1, 10 reasons"

There are lots and lots of japanese websites that rumors the come back. Interestingly, if you look into them nearly all of them end its article with, "Toyota denied this rumor".

#41 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,975 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 01:06

It is not even on Reddit which is probably the worst cesspool in regards to rumours. 

BREAKING NEWS: Nigerian media reports that Lando Norris is pregnant.

Just as likely.

Dalton Kellett to repllace Sergio Perez.

#42 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,381 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 01:15

Dalton Kellett to repllace Sergio Perez.

I read it was Mika coming back off sabbatical

#43 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,737 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 01:27

I read it was Mika coming back off sabbatical

Almost.  Actually Norris is going to RB to replace Perez, and Mika is going to sub for Norris at McLaren until they can get someone for '25 ...

This has to be the silliest silly season since '65, when the silliest rumour was Black Jack was going to run an American V8 in the new 3l formula starting '66  :rotfl:  ... oh wait ... :lol:

#44 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,114 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 02:18

Hamilton buys Aston Martin - now Alonsos boss:

https://x.com/_henry...jNzYI1wHgQ5OZzw

Same substance as the Toyota ‘rumours’

#45 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,704 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 03:00

It's funny that people think that a manufacturer can just start a PU project and be on the grid.

PU manufacturers for post 2026 need to have signed up already if they want to supply PUs in 2026 or 2027.

The earliest a PU supplier can enter now is 2028.

Unless Toyota buys the project from Audi. 

I'm not sure Toyota would do that, nor how it works with the PU supply rules and budget cap.

#46 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,702 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 04:42

Oh noes, here we go again.

#47 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,540 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 05:31

AUDI will never come into F1. 

Now AUDI is blaming TOYOTA for its failure to join the track. This story is the most disappointing development for the F1 under current ownership.

It has been doing well, but Toyota is coming in if it were to come in, in an other ways.

I say it is AUDI who wants to SELL its stake to someone.

Sad and terrible act by the VAG AUDI car maker.

It keeps on hiding its identity when it comes to an escaping end.  

#48 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 05:51

This makes sense. Because Toyota is an electric vehicle skeptic and believes a revert to hybrids is in the future.

#49 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 05:56

This is exactly the reason why I never understood why anyone thinks VAG's involvement in F1 is a good thing. They have spend more than a decade feeding rumours about entering, but only on their conditions, which is exactly how we ended up with the 2026 engine regulations.

These manufacturers are pushing for complicated and expensive engines. Then they will leave when it gets too costly. They are doing the same thing in Indycar. The push for hybrid was from the mfgr.

Audi is too far into the process to just bug out now isn't it ?

#50 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,490 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 06:26

Please no. They will be there for a few seasons, screw it all up with their red tape decision making process, then pack

up and leave.