Race For Glory: Audi vs Lancia (Movie)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,032 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:09

Hmmm

I had a look at the trailer for this last night. I'm not at all confident. It looks about as credible as - oh, I don't know - maybe Days of Thunder? I don't think I'll be rushing to the cinema. 

Perhaps the Top Gear 20-minute version will remain the standard. 

Pity. 

https://www.imdb.com...lmg_unrel_1_act

BRM

Advertisement

#2 FlyingSaucer

FlyingSaucer

• 130 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 13:02

The problem I see with these recent racing films is that they invest too much in personal drama. Wow, if I'm going to see a racing movie, what I want is that at least half of the movie is made-up of scenes with cars racing at high speeds!

I don't know how the reception would be with the wide public, but for us, who love motorsport, we certainly want something in the style of Steve McQueen's Le Mans. Just pure and raw sound of the engines (even more so with these wonderful monsters from Group B).

#3 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,330 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 18:02

Problem with rallying is that there's no drama for the casual viewer.

It would be like making a film about the heyday of Brooklands. Here's a Napier lined up against an Austin Seven. Who will win?

#4 kevins

kevins

• 149 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 08:23

Never knew about this but happened to see it on Netflix (in Ireland) last night.

It's a bit like Rush or Ford v Ferrari / Le Mans '66 but a bit more creative license, which is acknowledged in the credits.

Daniel Brühl plays Roland Gumpert (but more or less copies and pastes his Niki from Rush).

If you view it as entertainment, well worth a watch I think, given there are so few rally films.

Edited by kevins, 18 May 2024 - 08:23.

#5 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,032 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 21:27

Finally saw it. 

Eh.

Not well done in a lot of places. Others were good. The disclaimer at the end is important - words to the effect that 'this is not to be taken as an accurate version of events.' Indeed. 

The rallying scenes could have been a lot better. The crowds were too small (especially in Portugal) and the cars too slow. 

BRM

#6 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 542 posts

Posted 15 July 2024 - 06:09

The Monte Carlo Rally took place during summer in the film, strange they didn't make the effort to film during the right season even. 2/10

On Rotten Tomatoes it scores 34%  https://www.rottento..._audi_vs_lancia

From a review: "It's like the script was written by some people on a coke bender who just read the story off Wikipedia but had no idea what group B was and still don't."

#7 john aston

john aston

• 2,788 posts

Posted 15 July 2024 - 06:15

I mentioned elsewhere on here that although a very odd film indeed , the cars are gorgeous and the soundtrack (for once) is both  accurate and thrilling .