- - - - -

Active Toe and Camber prototype

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,422 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 23:12

"Up to" 25% more grip. The spindle unit looks like a nice beefy approach, doesn't add too much compliance (tho i stopped believing in camber compliance when we measured a tall spindle SLA on the rig). 

Advertisement

#2 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,668 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 08:23

This Australian concept has been around for a while. https://www.doftek.com.au/

Camber compliance? I have a mid-engine (55% rear weight) British kit car with rear camber compliance 4 times that of the front . . . and about 2.5 deg/g. Not ideal. Rear suspension redesign is under way.

#3 mariner

mariner

• 2,369 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 17:21

It all looks very clever and solidly made but I have three questions 

1) The suggested range of camber tilt and hence thrust seems quite small , which if I understand the data on camber thrust would not, of itself, generate large extra grip?

2) I presume therefore the elap time gain  is more in terms of sensitivity so how does the control software "understand" how to measure "driver in the loop"  inputs- to borrow the latest simulation phrase?

3) It doesn't say how long a lap gives the 2.8 second lap time reduction by even experienced drivers but if it was typical lap time of , say, 1minute 45 seconds that is a 3% speed gain just on cornering speed - that sounds rather high?

#4 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,422 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 21:33

I'm on the wrong computer, I was going to look at flattrac data to see if you really can get 25 % with those angles. Obviously the easiest thing to do control wise is roll compensation, keeping the CP horizontal. Other than that no real idea. Electronic stability control actually runs a little vehicle dynamics model to decide what to do, but that task is a bit simpler -make the car go in the direction the steering wheel is pointing. Obviously there is more to it than that, but that's the basic control problem.