- - - - -

2024 International Touring Car Thread - including Supercars, TCR and more

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 southernstars

southernstars

• 3,088 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 06:40

Noticed there was no thread and needed somewhere to drop this bombshell, so hopefully nobody minds.

Reigning Supercars champion Brodie Kostecki to sit out opening round of the championship: https://www.supercar...ampion-kostecki

In a team statement, Erebus said Kostecki — who won the 2023 Repco Supercars Championship — has "indicated he's not in a position to take part" in the first round of the new season.

Hazelwood, the 2017 Dunlop Super2 Series champion, will stand in for the reigning Supercars champion at the February 23-25 event.

"Contrary to media reports, Brodie Kostecki remains part of the Erebus Motorsport family and is a valued member of our team," the Erebus statement reads.

"Brodie has indicated he’s not in a position to take part in the opening round of the 2024 Supercars Championship. 

"Todd Hazelwood will stand in for Brodie at the Bathurst 500 from February 23-25."

Kostecki led Erebus to double championship glory in 2023, winning six races and claiming 10 pole positions — both season-high hauls. He was also voted Drivers' Driver by his peers.

Hazelwood will race at the Mountain alongside new Erebus recruit and former Matt Stone Racing teammate Jack Le Brocq, with the reigning champions set to test their new-for-2024 Gen3 Chevrolet Camaros next Wednesday.

In a Supercars statement, Supercars CEO Shane Howard said: "We understand the gravity of Brodie's decision and the challenges he may be facing at this time.

"On behalf of everyone at Supercars, we wish Brodie all the best, and we sincerely hope to witness his return to the Repco Supercars Championship in the future.

"In the meantime, we extend our support to Erebus as they navigate the start of the 2024 Repco Supercars Championship with Todd Hazelwood and Jack Le Brocq driving for the team.

"Defending a Championship title is never an easy task, but we are confident in Erebus's ability to adapt and continue their pursuit of success on the track."

This is one of the more unusual statements I've ever seen.

The "media reports" in question are rumours that Erebus and Kostecki had a huge falling out that started last year, and that Kostecki might be quitting Erebus but Erebus would not let him go. But the way this statement is worded suggests there could be something else going on?

Advertisement

#2 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,885 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 09:26

Looks like mental health struggles

#3 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,703 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 09:51

Thank you for making the thread, Southernstars.

Yeah, quite a shocker. I was not expecting anything remotely like this.

Is this perhaps because of those Nascar rounds or what is this about a major falling out at The Bend in August. It’s the first time I hear about this.

This is a major, major development before the season starts, and start it will very soon.

Edit: Yesterday I thought that it’s the whole season as they split up with immediate effect. Lol ok.

Edited by OvDrone, 31 January 2024 - 10:01.

#4 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,573 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 10:04

Not the first time drivers and staff run away from Barry Ryan

#5 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 3,125 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 18:41

Reminds me of The Gis and Stone Bros back in the day.... I was a big fan of his until that happened..... Granted I wasn't privy to what was going on behind the scenes but to me it looked at the time like very poor form by Shane, never really was a fan since, though I think he's one of the best drivers on the planet.

#6 GeoffR

GeoffR

• 694 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 03:48

This situation is going from bad to worse, sponsors jumping ship and no word from either the team or BK as to his future with them. Erebus cars testing in plain livery with a few minor sponsors on board.

#7 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 12,309 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 04:20

Erebus appears to be imploding. Sponsors jumping like they are suggests something pretty unsavoury has gone on tbh...

Edited by krapmeister, 06 February 2024 - 04:20.

#8 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,703 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 17:10

Apparently Kostecky made his first public appearance since the whole Erebus debacle started. To receive an award.

Now it seems that he won't race for them the whole year at all.

What a damn shame for a team that was one of the fan favorites...

#9 FLB

FLB

• 32,694 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 17:22

Apparently Kostecky made his first public appearance since the whole Erebus debacle started. To receive an award.

Now it seems that he won't race for them the whole year at all.

What a damn shame for a team that was one of the fan favorites...

I don't follow Supercars all that much (I do try to watch Bathurst), but the whole Erebus/Kostecky situation seems to be a WTF of *epic* proportions.

#10 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 2,720 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 20:40

Its pretty murky as to the whys and wherefores, but there is a suggestion that Brodie wanted a release which was not granted, his teammate wanted one and was given it.  Whereupon a dummy landed on the track. 

#11 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 7,192 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 04:27

Some social media posts have really taken Erebus and the sanctioning body to task for trying to claim this was about mental health. SVG and McLaughlin both weighed in backing Kostecki.

Edited by juicy sushi, 12 February 2024 - 04:27.

#12 southernstars

southernstars

• 3,088 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 11:39

There's talk that Barry Ryan is notoriously difficult to get along with and that that was the reason the other Erebus driver left too.

#13 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 7,192 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 13:35

Could be.  Seems like both wanted the same 888 seat, and the team let one go and the other is not happy being stuck holding the bag.

#14 southernstars

southernstars

• 3,088 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 13:20

And it's more drama. Kostecki will be back at Erebus for the New Zealand round. But Barry Ryan and Erebus have forced him to dump his personal sponsor Boost, and Boost's founder isn't happy!

What is going on at Erebus? It certainly does not seem a healthy environment at all.

https://www.autospor...emand/10596421/

#15 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 7,192 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 14:23

I think they might have been unhappy to learn that neither of their drivers felt positively enough about their title-winning organization that they wanted to stay rather than jumping ship ASAP to 888. So, Barry and Betty come down hard on Brad, who turned out to be unable to escape, while Boost whispers in Brad’s other ear about “forcing a move,” a la football. Now Boost is unhappy because Brad has found that the Supercar paddock doesn’t want to enable that much driver power, so Brad had to choose between sponsor loyalty or a career. And he chose his career. If Boost felt this strongly they should have bought an entry and a car, and ran it for him.

#16 southernstars

southernstars

• 3,088 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 04:24

It certainly does nothing to quell the whispers that Barry and Betty are bullies.

#17 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 7,192 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 12:39

It certainly does nothing to quell the whispers that Barry and Betty are bullies.

But there hasn’t been an exodus of staff? Just disputes with drivers. I’d expect them to have a much higher rate of turnover if the bullying problem was as significant as rumoured.

#18 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,823 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 15:05

The first TCR World Tour race of the season will begin in the next few minutes at Vallelunga

#19 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,703 posts

Posted 05 May 2024 - 16:43

I unfortunately missed the first round of World TCR from Vallelunga as these months have been too hectic and busy.

Here are the two races from the 2nd round of the season from Marrakech for whoever interested.

I feel Marrakech is much, MUCH better as a Touring Car circuit than anything open wheeled. 

Advertisement

#20 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,570 posts

Posted 08 June 2024 - 06:55

STCC’s new electric era should be getting underway in Göteborg today

VW ID3s, Cupra Borns, BMW i4s and Tesla Model 3s.

https://www.stcc.se/stcc-goteborg

#21 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,703 posts

Posted 04 August 2024 - 12:59

Hello all  :wave: 

If anyone is feeling completely Race starved due to whatever is happening in France and the Summer break. We are going live in just under 5 minutes for the WTCC World TCR round 5 at the surprise venue of last year - El Pinar in Uruguay.

Check it out live on Youtube:

#22 WonderboyF1

WonderboyF1

• 234 posts

Posted 04 August 2024 - 13:12

How cold does it look there!

#23 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,703 posts

Posted 04 August 2024 - 13:14

How cold does it look there!

I am genuinely envious. Not born for Summer at all  :lol: 

El Pinar is a real cool track in my books.

#24 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,703 posts

Posted 04 August 2024 - 13:35

Michelisz got bullied by the entire grid today.

#25 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,703 posts

Posted 04 August 2024 - 18:20

Race 2 from El Pinar is now Live and Streaming on Youtube as the grid is getting ready:

#26 FLB

FLB

• 32,694 posts

Posted 29 August 2024 - 12:15

Brodie Kostecki is switching to DJR for next year: https://www.supercar...son-racing-2025

#27 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 12,309 posts

Posted 29 August 2024 - 13:45

Wonder if that is the end of his NASCAR appearances?

#28 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,819 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 13:41

Hey guys, watching some Stock Car Pro races recently, how these cars compare to TCRs? :drunk:

#29 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 30,980 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 21:06

Toyota Gazoo Racing Australia will enter a GR Supra in the V8 supercars championship starting in 2026 with Walkenshaw/Andretti? 

image.png

Edited by ARTGP, 17 September 2024 - 21:07.

#30 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 12,309 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 21:15

Well... must admit I was sceptical when I first heard the rumour. Plenty of times a new manufacturer had been rumoured to be wanting to join the Supercars, only for it to come to nothing. But apparently it's happening!

Supercars BADLY needed another manufacturer - good to see Toyota joining the series. Let's just hope this won't now give either Ford or GM the excuse to leave it...

https://speedcafe.co...united-details/

#31 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 40,780 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 13:30

Gee TBh I thought the category was all but dead and we would just go GT3 racing like everywhere else in the world but this is a life line. Helps that Toyota/Lexus just happens to have a 5 litre or so V8 handy. 

#32 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 7,192 posts

Posted 18 September 2024 - 14:20

The new rules were pretty good though at costing a lot less than GT3, so other brands jumping in is nice to hear.