Photo

Graham Hill: which books to read?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 toolish

toolish

• 166 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 13:24

Dear all, what are - apart from his autobiographical writings - the best books on Graham Hill? Thanks!

Advertisement

#2 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,231 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 13:47

In many ways, Damon Hills autobiography shone more light on the 'real' Graham Hill than most biographies I've read. Very balanced and insightful.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,365 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 13:57

'Best' is relative, I'm afraid. There is no proper biography of Graham so - apart from 'Life at the Limit', 'Graham' and Bette's book 'The Other Side of the Hill' - you're left with a choice between 'Mr Monaco' by Tony Rudlin and 'Graham Hill: Master of Motor Sport' by John Tipler. Neither is by any means perfect - there are several inaccuracies in the Rudlin book, which is somewhat superficial, while Tipler's is in the 'and then he went to xxx and raced against yyy and zzz' mould and doesn't offer much insight. Overall though, the Tipler book is more comprehensive and it sells for surprisingly high prices second-hand, considering it was remaindered.

#4 PaulButler58

PaulButler58

• 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 16:10

There are copies of "Mr. Monaco" starting at £3.50 on eBay at the moment , cheapest version of the John Tipler book is £12 in a bidding auction of £18 + £4.50 "buy it now" price

Edited by PaulButler58, 13 April 2024 - 16:11.

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,719 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 17:39

It depends what you are looking for.  The Graham Hill Scrapbook covers a broad range of topics.

#6 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,446 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 08:49

There is no proper biography of Graham

This is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

#7 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,623 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 09:06

In many ways, Damon Hills autobiography shone more light on the 'real' Graham Hill than most biographies I've read. Very balanced and insightful.

I agree with Richard, Damon's book is by far the best one written on the Hill family in general, there's plenty about Graham in it.

#8 john aston

john aston

• 2,750 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 16:59

And Damon's book is also one of the best books ever written by a racing driver .

#9 PRD

PRD

• 514 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 18:29

And Damon's book is also one of the best books ever written by a racing driver .

Indeed. I had a conversation with Nigel Roebuck at a Motor Sport organised event a few years ago after Damon’s book had come out. As I recall there was a new warts and all biography of Graham Hill being suggested with Damon being one of the authors. He was thought not to be keen on the idea while Bette was still around.

#10 rl1856

rl1856

• 369 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 15:54

One will have to read several books to get a complete account of his life.  Certainly the big 3 books coming from the family would be the place to start.  I would also suggest the BRM volumes, Tony Rudds book and a few chapters from CSA Brooks' autobiography.  The later suggestions will provide detailed insight into Graham has a driver, a team mate, working with a team and mechanics, as a mentor and so on.   I would also seek out as much contemporary reporting as possible from Motor Sport, Autosport, and Road and Track (US publication).  All would have included significant coverage of him during his years competing and then owning a team.