A V8 Engine With Only Two Connecting Rods

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,076 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 01:59

https://www.enginela...onnecting-rods/

Recently, we posted this engine on our Facebook page for Weird Engine Wednesday. While our plan was to use that as a teaser for this Throwback Thursday article, several of our more adept fans found the article on their own and posted it in the comments. This engine is so interesting, it’s definitely worth the repost.

Starting with a Honda based four-cylinder engine, Dieter Hartmann-Wirthwein patented a system in which four cylinders operate using only one single connecting rod.

Essentially, the two center pistons are connected via a “Y” shaped connecting rod. Also attached to those center pistons is a pivoting mechanism that is attached to the two outer pistons. This unique arrangement allows all four pistons to work as a single mechanical assembly, which transmits power to the crankshaft via a single connecting rod on a single crankpin.

lead-image-1154520-1586388228.jpeg

Advertisement

#2 Thekirkshop

Thekirkshop

• 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 12:25

I guess it depends what you call a connecting rod, you could say it's a V8 with 14 "Connecting rods" and 26 connecting rod bearings! I don't really see what it gains over a 2 cylinder, valve area perhaps?

Edited by Thekirkshop, 18 April 2024 - 12:29.

#3 GregThomas

GregThomas

• 270 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 19:37

Valve area and piston area. But what intrigues me is that the main con rods are subject to power stroke impulses in both directions - the normal down and here up as well.

Brings a new dimension (literally) to your rod strength calculations.