Photo

Lost in the Shadows

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 149 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 10:30

It was really good seeing the Can-Am cars at Goodwood on Saturday.  I had been waiting 50 years to see/hear most of these cars at close quarters and the experience fully lived up to my expectations, (though I was sorry that the Lola T260 – a particular favourite of mine – was not present).  The Shadows, especially, were beautifully presented and as intriguing as ever.  The only slight spoiler for me was losing my AVS Shadow/George Follmer pin badge, somewhere in the Paddock, probably in and around the Shads.  So I’m just wondering if anyone on here might be able to suggest, please, an automobilia dealer in the U.S. who could be a good source for me to try and find a replacement?  Regards, David

sml-DSC-0008-00006.jpg

sml-02294-02-Mk-3.jpg

sml-02292-01.jpg

Advertisement

#2 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,750 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 10:36

http://www.mikefollm...-category/pins/

#3 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 282 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 10:43

There's one on EBay in California https://www.ebay.co....tm/143577741491

#4 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 149 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 11:57

Thanks to B Squared and jtremlett - such quick and helpful responses are much appreciated. With kind regards, David

#5 Gene

Gene

• 119 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 10:10

Hope you replace your lost badge.

Seeing your post I had to inquire if the designer of the original Shadow, Can Am car, Trevor Harris was there? I imagine he's really getting up in years, but a real "old school" racing character.

#6 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 149 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 12:44

Thanks Gene. Trevor was born in '38, so unless he travels a lot better than I do, I'd imagine U.S. to Chichester would be a bit of a stretch in his mid-eighties.  I think there'd have been some press coverage if Trevor had been able to attend.  Even just in print on paper, a great sense of humour seems to radiate from Trevor - the photographs of him relating to the Prototype and Mk.1 are hilarious - in contrast I wonder how often George Follmer or Vic Elford found the experience of driving the Mk.1 unmitigated fun!  The photo attached is courtesy of Don Nichols Collection/Pete Lyons, (in his terrific book, Shadow- The Magnificent Machines of a Man of Mystery).  For a glimpse of what Trevor has been up to since, his website's Timeline is well worth a look.

https://i.ibb.co/m6w...evor-Harris.jpg

#7 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 986 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 14:30

I note that even Trevor's website doesn't show the rear speed brake and front extendable panels: were they ever fitted in-period? The Shadow book only mentions the butterflies in the 'ear' sections.

#8 davidbuckden

davidbuckden

• 149 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 16:54

Good point Sabrejet - and I don't know!  Excuse me if you've seen this already, but the embedded video shows these features operating on-track, but in recently shot footage. Regards, David

#9 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,549 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 17:09

I believe both of those cars were owned by a California almond farmer a decade ago. We could have toured his shop the next day but was on a different mission.

I recall his saying the original Shadow was nearly undriveable and made his family nervous. Not shocked to hear that!

The ‘72 car above was absolutely wonderful to witness, in the hands of both Ollie, and Carlos Pace. Magic Times.

#10 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 13,258 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 17:50

When as a child I drew F1 cars in the 70s, it had either elf or uop on the sides,

UOP still sounds as mysterious today for me as it did then, and I loved the used letter type!

David, I hope you will be able to replace your pin!

Edited by Henri Greuter, 19 April 2024 - 17:50.