Photo

The Pete Fenelon and Michael Catsch (Tuboscocca) Memorial Book Thread

• Please log in to reply
10543 replies to this topic

#10501 john aston

john aston

• 2,725 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 05:30

Not scholarly, not academic, no footnotes and, Heaven forfend, it contains photographs.  I also very much doubt that Chris Ellard would describe himself as an historian (sorry, Historian); but a really good read, brings back to life a really entertaining era of British and European racing.  Highly recommended.

I'm just in the middle of reviewing this book for speed readers . Despite being strewn with typos it's an entertaining enough read. I will post when the  review drops. 

Advertisement

#10502 PRD

PRD

• 508 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 21:01

I hope this doesn't get me into trouble and I should state from the beginning that I am NOT the seller but there has been a copy of Editions Cercle D'Art's Car Racing 1967 book in "like new" condition on Ebay for the past month (having been relisted 3 or 4 times) at an absolutely bargain starting bid price of £19.99 + £4.49 postage. If I didn't already have a copy I would've snapped it up by now but it's a shame to see it sitting there when there must be someone on here who would enjoy it. Here's a link for anyone who is interested.

Thanks for the link. I won it for £26 plus postage!

#10503 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 405 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 06:02

I did bid, unsuccessfully, but glad to see it went to a 'good home'.

#10504 FastReader

FastReader

• 289 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 09:07

That's great! I saw yesterday that it had finally sold and wondered if someone on here had bought it. Really pleased that it's gone to a TNF'er.

#10505 FastReader

FastReader

• 289 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 10:55

In the meantime I've ordered a copy of the Brian M. Ingrassia Speed Capital book. Looking forward to a more 'scholarly' take on Indianapolis and its broader significance.

#10506 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 567 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 10:05

I see 'Millanta on Ferrari' by Alesandro Silva is now available from Sportfahrer Verlag.  Mighty expensive at 495 Euros, but I get the feeling it will be 1 of those titles which will be well worth the cost.  Of course, it is selling at £495 in the UK, so I have ordered it direct from the publisher.  As it is a German publisher they take off the VAT for UK delivery (but add postage and a 5 Euros Brexit fee!) so it comes to about 489 Euros.  At today's exchange rate that is £418.

#10507 amerikalei

amerikalei

• 311 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 12:21

Has anyone read this book from Racemaker press:  The Green Flag: The Life and Times of Barry Green, Racer

I recall it was being published last May but hadn't heard anything since, although it is listed on the Racemaker site currently at a 25% discount.

#10508 nexfast

nexfast

• 992 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 12:37

I see 'Millanta on Ferrari' by Alesandro Silva is now available from Sportfahrer Verlag.  Mighty expensive at 495 Euros, but I get the feeling it will be 1 of those titles which will be well worth the cost.  Of course, it is selling at £495 in the UK, so I have ordered it direct from the publisher.  As it is a German publisher they take off the VAT for UK delivery (but add postage and a 5 Euros Brexit fee!) so it comes to about 489 Euros.  At today's exchange rate that is £418.

Not trying to boost anything but sometimes it's rewarding to buy on pre-order. I also ordered from Sportfahrer and cost me only 389€ (332 in sterling) for delivery in Europe. I will check my copy in July when I will be back in the Old Continent.

#10509 a_tifoosi

a_tifoosi

• 274 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 13:34

As it is a German publisher they take off the VAT for UK delivery (but add postage and a 5 Euros Brexit fee!) so it comes to about 489 Euros.  At today's exchange rate that is £418.

Wow, that's surprising! If this book was sold from the UK, in mainland Europe we'd easily pay about 100€ in import taxes.

#10510 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 1,665 posts

Posted 07 May 2024 - 12:12

Formula Ford Australia has produced a volume titled 'Australian Formula Ford - 50 years of Fame and Friendship'.

A hardcover book of 290 pages with 570 excellent photos,

it covers the fifty years since Formula Ford began in Australia in 1969, and is an excellent

easily-readable history of one of the most long-lived, and arguably the most successful categories

in Australian Motorsport.

The number of Australian and international Motor Racing careers that began in an Australian Formula Ford is remarkable,

and they are celebrated in a volume of excellent photos, and stories from the people who were there.

The cars and their builders aren't left out, with local and imported makes covered in some detail.

Stories of the many people, who worked tirelessly as they managed the category over the years, 

are there as well, and a list of champions and what they drove is included.

It's not a book that provides a race by race history, but important moments in the fifty years

are described in detail.

It's available from the Formula Ford Australia website for A$100 plus postage worldwide.

https://www.formulaf...-and-friendship

Edited by lyntonh, 07 May 2024 - 23:02.

#10511 john aston

john aston

• 2,725 posts

Posted 08 May 2024 - 04:56

My Speedreaders review of The Likely Lads has now ...err..dropped. As a book it is literally all over the place and it is awash with typos. But it is nevertheless an entertaining read and is , I think , the only book on the subject.   

#10512 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2024 - 09:33

Thank you for the excellent review, John, you've decided for me to spend my money. Though I was shocked by your sentence: "Without this book I’d have completely forgotten about such minutiae as DAF’s participation in the 1966/67 season with the Brabham BT18-based Gemini, using its innovative but unsuited variable transmission." How could you? My own life would have no meaning without memories of an F3 car driven by a rubber band.

#10513 john aston

john aston

• 2,725 posts

Posted 08 May 2024 - 17:56

In mitigation ,  I do remember buying my first Fiat Uno Turbo from Peter Hanson , who was working as a car salesman on a used car lot in Harrogate. I recognised him immediately , even before I saw the  picture of his Chevron B17 (was it ?) in the caravan which passed as the office . Nice bloke.  

#10514 FastReader

FastReader

• 289 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 09:53

I've just been browsing the David Bull Publishing website and I see that they have a book on the TWR Jaguars coming out this year, called On The Prowl: The Definitive History of the Walkinshaw Jaguar Sports Car Team by Neil Smith. More details here.

#10515 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,474 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 17:05

The Chinetti biography/N.A.R.T. history begun by the late Michael Lynch years ago is said to be ready for delivery by the Monterey week in August or shortly thereafter, from David Bull Publishing. 

#10516 rudi

rudi

• 346 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 13:47

A book direct from the Archive of the Automobile Club Siracusa.

Not only a race/race story.

All is official: the starting money asked by Ferrari (letter included) and other teams, entry documents, checks, prizes, practice time lists...And numerous photos.

500 pages. Fair price.

002-siracusa.jpg

#10517 john aston

john aston

• 2,725 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 06:14

My review of Peter Higham's Formula 1 Car by Car 2000-09 is on speedreaders. A good reference book, the latest in the series which offers a no-nonsense , team by team account of each season.

It seemed about the too-recent past until I thought about it and then realised that if it had been published in 2000, it would have been describing Hesketh's Dutch GP, Brambilla's Austrian victory and the new fangled Woodcote chicane. In Sandy Denny's words-  "Who knows where the time goes ?"   

#10518 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,304 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 12:36

Based on excellent advice on this thread, I bought two books on Indianapolis. The covers of both are yellowed with age (aren’t we all) but they are in immaculate condition.

The Design & Development of the Indy Car by Roger Huntington cost a mere £24 including postage. It arrived in London from South Africa within three days, packaged in recycled cardboard from a take-away chicken place in Jo’berg! This is a brilliant book. The information, explanation and setting of context are exceptional. I did spot an early error, and the author’s enthusiastic style felt extreme at first, but soon won me over. This book, which covers up to 1980, is a fine read and a welcome addition to the bookshelf.

Meanwhile, the massive Indianapolis 500 Chronicle is good in concept, but not so good in execution. Maybe that’s why it’s only £14. Still, it was worth a punt. And it does have full grids and results.

Edited by Sterzo, 29 May 2024 - 12:46.

#10519 FastReader

FastReader

• 289 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 12:56

I recently picked up a copy of Portrait de Courses par Jean Dieuzaide and can't quite understand how this one passed me by when it was first published back in 2003. It's a lovely collection of driver portraits, race action and general circuit ambience taken at Albi, Pau & Cadours mostly during the early post-war years with a few pictures from the late 1960's, all in monochrome. Recommended if you haven't already got a copy.

Advertisement

#10520 amerikalei

amerikalei

• 311 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 13:02

Based on excellent advice on this thread, I bought two books on Indianapolis. The covers of both are yellowed with age (aren’t we all) but they are in immaculate condition.

The Design & Development of the Indy Car by Roger Huntington cost a mere £24 including postage. It arrived in London from South Africa within three days, packaged in recycled cardboard from a take-away chicken place in Jo’berg! This is a brilliant book. The information, explanation and setting of context are exceptional. I did spot an early error, and the author’s enthusiastic style felt extreme at first, but soon won me over. This book, which covers up to 1980, is a fine read and a welcome addition to the bookshelf.

Meanwhile, the massive Indianapolis 500 Chronicle is good in concept, but not so good in execution. Maybe that’s why it’s only £14. Still, it was worth a punt. And it does have full grids and results.

Thanks for the tip.  I had picked up Huntington's book on the Thompson Air Races off a book stall sale years ago and enjoyed it.  Just ordered a used copy of the Indy Car book. 

#10521 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 547 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 13:19

My review of Peter Higham's Formula 1 Car by Car 2000-09 is on speedreaders. A good reference book, the latest in the series which offers a no-nonsense , team by team account of each season.

It seemed about the too-recent past until I thought about it and then realised that if it had been published in 2000, it would have been describing Hesketh's Dutch GP, Brambilla's Austrian victory and the new fangled Woodcote chicane. In Sandy Denny's words-  "Who knows where the time goes ?"   

John - you've just moved another notch up my list of "top blokes" by quoting the irreplaceable Sandy   :)

Edited by Jon Saltinstall, 30 May 2024 - 13:20.

#10522 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,859 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 13:29

Yes, there are a handful of errors in the Huntington book but that's par for the course. You sound disappointed by the Popely book though - where did it fall down, are there any specific aspects of the race that you feel like you might need another book recommendation to cover?

#10523 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,304 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 16:57

Yes, there are a handful of errors in the Huntington book but that's par for the course. You sound disappointed by the Popely book though - where did it fall down, are there any specific aspects of the race that you feel like you might need another book recommendation to cover?

Indeed, a few boobs are to be expected, and the Huntington book is great.

The Popely tome's strengths are that it has full grids and results. It's a bit dreary of me to pick on its shortcomings, but here goes:

I'm not keen on history written in the present tense, and the author gets knotted writing of pre and post-race events. All picture captions for a double page are in one paragraph, rather than with each picture. Non-racing photos dominate the pages. For 1997 there are 27 pictures, of which only one is a true racing shot (with two of the four cars part-cropped). Course cars, accidents, posed shots, personalities, pit stops - are all fair enough, but 26:1? (I didn't count the tiny grid pictures in my 27).

The point is that it's the book which is available, and I shall finish reading it, and am grateful for both recommendations!

#10524 FastReader

FastReader

• 289 posts

Posted 31 May 2024 - 08:58

Have you (or anyone else) received Millanta on Ferrari yet? As you say, it's expensive so I'd like to know if you think it's worth the price before I order.

#10525 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 405 posts

Posted 31 May 2024 - 09:03

John - you've just moved another notch up my list of "top blokes" by quoting the irreplaceable Sandy   :)

I would echo your appreciation of Sandy Denny, perhaps only matched on the other side of the Atlantic by Joni Mitchell...

Although Ry Cooder's "Flathead One More Time"  explores a similar sentiment with the closing line....'Time, Time, Time....Is all you got.....' 

OK, I'll get me coat....

#10526 a_tifoosi

a_tifoosi

• 274 posts

Posted 31 May 2024 - 21:54

David Bull has published in Facebook the cover of Randy Leffingwell's upcoming book, "Against all the others. Porsche's racing history. Volume 1 - 1968".

According to the author's website: "subsequent releases will be Volume 2: 1969; Volume 3: 1970; Volume 4: 1971; Volume 5: 1972-1973; Volume 6: 1973 Back to The Beginning, 1875 and on to 1929; Volume 7: 1930-1936; Volume 8: 1937-1945; Volume 9: 1946-1953; Volume 10: 1954-1956; and so on through racing years 1998 and 1999"  :drunk: .

#10527 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 268 posts

Posted 02 June 2024 - 11:43

Have you (or anyone else) received Millanta on Ferrari yet? As you say, it's expensive so I'd like to know if you think it's worth the price before I order.

I have it.  It is very nicely done.  The only slight disappointment for me is that there are quite a lot of similar photos of a car going round a corner (albeit different cars and different corners).  Pretty much all the photos are technically top notch (i.e. in focus etc.) and well reproduced.

I pre-ordered so paid the pre-order price (395 Euros).  I'm pleased I have it and would recommend it but I'm not sure I own any book that I really think is worth that sort of money (£1 a page!).  I pay it begrudgingly because that is what is necessary to acquire a book I wish to own.

#10528 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 567 posts

Posted 03 June 2024 - 10:28

I too have the Milanta book and it is of very high quality.  It is also a very large book and published on quality paper, which allows the full details of the images to be clearly seen.  The text is also very good and I have enjoyed reading it.  Although quite expensive, I think this may be 1 of those books which merits the extra cost.  Also, to see these rare images and to get an understanding into what the photographer is thinking when framing some of the shots I thought was really good. 

#10529 FastReader

FastReader

• 289 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 08:31

I have it.  It is very nicely done.  The only slight disappointment for me is that there are quite a lot of similar photos of a car going round a corner (albeit different cars and different corners).  Pretty much all the photos are technically top notch (i.e. in focus etc.) and well reproduced.

I pre-ordered so paid the pre-order price (395 Euros).  I'm pleased I have it and would recommend it but I'm not sure I own any book that I really think is worth that sort of money (£1 a page!).  I pay it begrudgingly because that is what is necessary to acquire a book I wish to own.

I too have the Milanta book and it is of very high quality.  It is also a very large book and published on quality paper, which allows the full details of the images to be clearly seen.  The text is also very good and I have enjoyed reading it.  Although quite expensive, I think this may be 1 of those books which merits the extra cost.  Also, to see these rare images and to get an understanding into what the photographer is thinking when framing some of the shots I thought was really good. 

Thanks for the replies. It's still a difficult decision. I probably should have ordered it when it was available at the discounted pre-publication price.  :well:

#10530 FastReader

FastReader

• 289 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 14:11

Also to be published in June will be the Jim Hall biography

https://www.evropubl...otorsport-books

... and Formula 2 The Glory Years - time is running out for it to appear "early in 2024" :confused:

This is 'limping along towards publication'. There's definite progress as I was asked today to identify a Tyrrell mechanic.

Does anyone have any idea when this might be published? The Evro website still lists it as "available in early 2024" whilst several of the online booksellers list it as due for publication on 27/06/2024...

#10531 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 268 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 14:28

Does anyone have any idea when this might be published? The Evro website still lists it as "available in early 2024" whilst several of the online booksellers list it as due for publication on 27/06/2024...

I have no idea but when I look at the Evro website it says 28 June 2024, so maybe they have updated it today?

Edited by jtremlett, 05 June 2024 - 14:29.

#10532 FastReader

FastReader

• 289 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 17:27

I have no idea but when I look at the Evro website it says 28 June 2024, so maybe they have updated it today?

I think you're referring to the Jim Hall book. My question was about Chris Witty's Formula 2 The Glory Years. I should've been more specific.

#10533 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,231 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 17:41

I think you're referring to the Jim Hall book. My question was about Chris Witty's Formula 2 The Glory Years. I should've been more specific.

Martin Donnelly's book has also had 'coming soon' for some while. Does anyone know any more?

#10534 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,487 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 19:04

"Texas Legend" by George Levy seems to be available.
Look here.

#10535 Roryswood

Roryswood

• 88 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 21:35

A the bottom of thr page hopefully availabl soon

#10536 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 268 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 21:40

Ah!   Yes, the first line of the post you quoted referring to the Jim Hall book led me astray.

#10537 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 460 posts

Posted 06 June 2024 - 07:16

N Photo magazine has highlighted a new book of images called Macchina by Jon Nicholson. Words by Richard Williams. Limited edition. Not cheap.

https://www.fyshe.co...oducts/macchina

I haven't seen the book so this is not a recommendation - although I may go and have a look. It can be collected from Weedon near M1 J16 (England)

#10538 68targa

68targa

• 1,183 posts

Posted 06 June 2024 - 08:12

One Last Turn: Personal memories of the Can-Am era’s greatest mechanics, tuners and crews    is now available from Dalton Watson. There are sample pages on their website.

https://www.daltonwa...e-last-turn.htm

#10539 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,608 posts

Posted 06 June 2024 - 08:47

One Last Turn: Personal memories of the Can-Am era’s greatest mechanics, tuners and crews    is now available from Dalton Watson. There are sample pages on their website.

https://www.daltonwa...e-last-turn.htm

This could have been interesting, but I clicked through some of the sample pages and the first thing I saw was a McLaren M1 miscaptioned as a Lola T70. Further along was a Lola T260 captioned as a T160, all of which makes me wonder about the accuracy of the rest of the book, disappointing from someone who was there at the time.

Advertisement

#10540 amerikalei

amerikalei

• 311 posts

Posted 06 June 2024 - 14:00

This could have been interesting, but I clicked through some of the sample pages and the first thing I saw was a McLaren M1 miscaptioned as a Lola T70. Further along was a Lola T260 captioned as a T160, all of which makes me wonder about the accuracy of the rest of the book, disappointing from someone who was there at the time.

Yeah, there are some inconsistencies with the photo captions, but this isn't a book I'd use for marque specific research.  Although D-W should distribute copies to TNF readers for proofing...unless that would mean giving free copies to a significant portion of their market. 

The text seemed pretty solid, even the small samples had some connections that were interesting to me.  Some of it was familiar (one good Kainhofer quote was from Penske's Maestro), but other accounts were new to me.  I'd like to see a copy and understand how the authors sourced the information: direct interviews, secondhand sources, etc?  But it seems like it might be a nice addition to previous Can-Am books from Peter Bryant, Kainhofer, Tyler Alexander, and Pete Lyons.

The photos of the Vasek Polak 917/10s , with Brian Redman in the #3 car makes me wonder if that is the car that gets a (somewhat notorious) mention in his autobiography (or was it Vic Elford's?) about VP providing him with a well aged chassis at Riverside.  The bodywork looks fresh in the photo, not so sure about the chassis that I recall mentioned in that story.

#10541 FastReader

FastReader

• 289 posts

Posted 06 June 2024 - 18:29

The photos of the Vasek Polak 917/10s , with Brian Redman in the #3 car makes me wonder if that is the car that gets a (somewhat notorious) mention in his autobiography (or was it Vic Elford's?) about VP providing him with a well aged chassis at Riverside. The bodywork looks fresh in the photo, not so sure about the chassis that I recall mentioned in that story.

It was in the Brian Redman autobiography.

Edited by FastReader, 06 June 2024 - 18:31.

#10542 amerikalei

amerikalei

• 311 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 12:16

My used copy of the Huntingdon IndyCar book arrived this week, added bonus is a 1984 Indy museum ticket inserted as a bookmark.  Almost as good as getting the Robson Cosworth book last year and finding it had been signed by Costin and Duckworth (unless it was printed that way...?).  Always fun to discover personal stuff like this (as long as it is not previous owner underlining, or worse, highlighting...).

#10543 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,508 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 08:31

Almost as good as getting the Robson Cosworth book last year and finding it had been signed by Costin and Duckworth (unless it was printed that way...?).

I got my copy in 1997, the third edition that was printed in 95 and it is unfortunately not signed by either. My guess is they did not come autographed from the publisher.

#10544 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,711 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:07

My used copy of the Huntingdon IndyCar book arrived this week, added bonus is a 1984 Indy museum ticket inserted as a bookmark.  Almost as good as getting the Robson Cosworth book last year and finding it had been signed by Costin and Duckworth (unless it was printed that way...?).  Always fun to discover personal stuff like this (as long as it is not previous owner underlining, or worse, highlighting...).

What about marginal notes correcting errors?