Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

108th Indianapolis 500 - race thread! [Race DELAYED till 16:44 ET / 21:44 BST / 22:44 CEST]

• Please log in to reply
1787 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 63,359 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 22:02

We approach the last weekend of May and 2024’s racing season jumps into high gear. There’s a bike race near Barcelona and a Grand Prix only 20 years less historic taking place somewhere in Liguria. Time zones being what they are, the weekend of excessive motor racing interest culminates in the Midwestern festival of debauchery and fuel-saving that is the Indianapolis 500.

It’s been a strange build-up to the race resulting in what to me feels like a slightly off-beam atmosphere. At some point IMSA-style hybrid engines were meant to make an appearance, but those have been delayed to the presumed (and sometimes public) disappointment of various suppliers and marketing departments. A big cheating scandal erupted at Long Beach as two Penske(!) drivers were found to have made illicit use of the push-to-pass button at St Petersburg. In a more quotidian sense, it rained almost every day during practice and the forecast for the race itself still looks uncertain. All the more reason, you might conclude, to enjoy the 200 laps of the ancient rectangle that I assume gave the name to Speedway, Indiana. There will be drama, somebody will win, and a strangely troll-like mask in their likeness will be carved? wrought? cast? onto the side of the big trophy with the tiny naked guy waving a flag on top.
Josef-Newgarden-Indy-500-2023-900x600.jp
If you’re new to the Indy 500, the important thing to remember is that the majority of the laps are a pitstops and fast single-file exercise. One year Max Chilton led for about a quarter of it. However in the metaphorical background drivers are saving fuel, out-pitstopping each other, staying out of trouble and generally behaving like sensible adults with something to lose, which of course they do. Last year the most notable thing that happened in this phase was when leaders Alex Palou and Rinus Veekay collided in the pitlane in one of those mad rushes when a convenient caution period (it was Sting Ray Robb) means everyone opts for fuel and new tyres at once. They kept going but their race outlooks were materially downgraded (Veekay ended up 10th, Palou a surprising 4th).

Drivers swap positions, somebody crashes, a couple of eye-catching sprints up the order are made, and the pace quickens and un-quickens according to whatever fuel numbers the race engineers think should be met. This pattern usually continues until the last round of pitstops at something like lap 170-180. The pit strategies are finished, the continuous fiddling with car setup stops, the fuel saving (hopefully) ends, and the remaining action is in the hands of the drivers.

Last year, things got messy at this point as said drivers decided the way to win was through the guy in front, and carnage ensued. Kyle Kirkwood got airborne, Agustin Canapino got airborne in a less spectacular fashion, there were three red flags in the last 16 laps, and on the restart with a single lap to go, Penske’s Josef Newgarden passed the reigning champion Marcus Ericsson and then swerved about like maniac to hold the lead to the finish line. Controversy and a vague feeling of self-loathing ensued, but Newgarden had won his first Indy 500 7 years after falling just short at the 100th.

Race gets underway at 12 noon eastern time / 5pm BST. Owing to some quirk in the scheduling Sky Sports are showing the build-up for FREE on their Youtube channel. Free Taps! Free flyover! Free pipers!
v2_large_f713d31a406c50fb5b8abd5abdbdbc4
Your runners:
05-19-McLaughlin-Pole2.jpg
Row 1: Scott McLaughlin, Will Power (W), Josef Newgarden (W)
Penske Racing lock out the front row with a terrifying display of not being fazed by Indycar’s biggest cheating scandal since that time Max Chilton repeatedly bypassed the chicane at Long Beach and no one seemed to be able to stop him. Will the absence of suspended boss Tim Cindric hurt the team? Has nobody been reminding the drivers and engineers that you can’t win the race on Pole Day? Will all three of them crash into each other on the parade lap? We will find out. In any case, Scott McLaughlin leads the field with a record pole speed. Last year he started and finished fourteenth, which until this month was also his best-ever start and finish.

Row 2: Alexander Rossi (W), Kyle Larson ®, Santino Ferrucci
The terminally low-key Alexander Rossi leads his teammate and guest NASCAR driver Kyle Larson on row 2. Rossi went through a period a few years ago where he responded to in-race setbacks with extraordinary feats of overtaking and rage. He, or perhaps the universe, is gentler now, but he is no closer to victory number two. Kyle Larson is the world’s least surprising top-performing rookie: he is a champion stock car driver, has a great car and Robin Miller had touted him for a run at the 500 since he (Larson) was in his teens. Benchmark to beat: Kurt Busch’s sixth-place finish in 2014. Elfin irritant Santino Ferucci gives AJ Foyt another good news story with another second-row start. Last year he started fourth and finished third. This year, start sixth and finish… first?
01-13-Larson.jpg
Row 3: Rinus Veekay, Pato O’Ward, Felix Rosenqvist
Holland’s fastest* driver fasts again with another top 10 race start, although at a mere P7 this is actually his lowest starting position in his five Indy 500s. Veekay’s finishing record is less impressive and while he can undoubtedly turn laps in clear air with the best of them, at some point some obstacle presents itself and he disappears into the midfield (if lucky). He’s worth following on race day. Former teammates (of each other) Pato O’Ward and Felix Rosenqvist complete the third row. O’Ward is only the third driver in McLaren’s pretty impressive Month of May, but there’s no reason why he can’t glide to the front. The exiled Rosenqvist is having a good start to life with Meyer-Shank Racing and has the dubious honour of being the fastest-qualifying Honda in the field.

Row 4: Takuma Sato (2W), Kyle Kirkwood, Ryan Hunter-Reay (W)
Takuma Sato is predictably enough the next-fastest Honda qualifier; he is also the only Rahal Letterman Lanigan entry to qualify outside the last two rows. Some yahoo put that down to a special engine but one might also consider the number of Indy 500s won by the other members of his team. Top Andretti qualifier Kyle Kirkwood starts in the middle: he finished last year’s race upside-down and facing an insurance claim from the owner of a parked car in Muncie Lot 7. Ryan Hunter-Reay dusts off his race suit and possibly the Dreyer and Reinbold team for his annual outing: the main attraction is keeping an eye out in the driver introductions for how big the kids have grown.
05-28-Sato-Drinks-The-Milk-Indy500.jpg
Row 5: Colton Herta, Alex Palou, Callum Ilott
We’re deep in the pack but there are potential winners here. Admittedly Colton Herta hasn’t won a race in two years, but in that time Alex Palou has won more or less every race except this one. If you get either of these two in the sweepstake it’s best to hope they have a better race car than qualifying car. They probably will. Outside of row 5 is Callum Ilott, who in the absence of sports car commitments has wrested the third McLaren back from Theo Pourchaire’s sticky hands. Time passing as it does, this is actually Ilott’s third Indy 500. He brought his Juncos car to 12th place last time, which was a considerable achievement but he can surely do better with a McLaren, even if it’s on loan.

Row 6: Marcus Armstrong ®, Ed Carpenter, Kyffin Simpson ®
Rookies ahoy! These are the proper rookies, not the extremely decorated and prepared ones you see starting in the grid’s upper reaches. They could be forgiven for feeling some satisfaction at outqualifying their Ganassi teammate Scott Dixon, except 1) they’ll be in horrible filthy dirty air from lap 1 and 2) Dixon will probably do something clever with his pitstops and materialize inside the top 5 at lap 120. Such is Indycar. Mediating between the two of them is Ed Carpenter, son-in-law of former Indycar supremo Tony George and the only driver/owner in the field, or at any rate the only driver/owner with his full name on the entry (sorry “Marco”). Ed is not going to be fighting for wins like he was 10 years ago, but does it matter? It probably does, to him.

Row 7: Marco Andretti, Helio Castroneves (4W), Scott Dixon (W)
There’s no getting around it, this is a disappointing and difficult place to start the race. The baby-faced Marco Andretti, like former teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay now an Indy-only sort of guy, heads up the row, with four-time winner Helio Castroneves (not yet 50! I think) in the middle racing for Meyer Shank. Scott Dixon completes the row although he doesn’t quite complete a pretty lousy qualifying performance from the Ganassi team (there is one more of Chip’s cars still to come). Here’s a fact for you: of all the drivers from the 2006 race who are starting in this one, 75% of them are on row 7. Who’s the other? It’s not P. J. Chesson.
01-03-Gil-Helio.jpg
Row 8: Agustin Canapino, Sting Ray Robb, Christian Rasmussen ®
Two beloved Indycharacters and Christian Rasmussen, who I know nothing about, comprise row 8. How often do you see an Argentinian race at Indy? How often do you see an Argentinian race at Indy for an Argentinian team owner? How often do you see an Argentinian racing at Indy for an Argentinian team owner crash twice in the same corner with 9 laps to go? All those things happened last year. Hopefully a quieter and more successful outing for Indycar’s other former touring car driver. Foyt sophomore Sting Ray Robb has qualified a long way behind Santino Ferrucci, but as is well known what he lacks in outright pace he makes up for in godliness. If you want to know how a devout evangelical Christian ended up being called Sting Ray, I can’t help you, but I’m sure it’s an interesting story. Christian Rasmussen, who surely has a more appropriate name than Sting Ray, starts his first Indy 500 from 28th, and if it wasn’t for the deflector shield and, er, seat belts, could probably see his boss two rows ahead of him if he craned his neck a little.

Row 9: Tom Blomqvist ®, Romain Grosjean, Linus Lundqvist ®
Felix! Thou shouldst be qualifying at this hour. Row 9 is a row of many Qvists but the Royal (Swedish?) Flush is interrupted by Romain Grosjean, who is driving the second Juncos car and is not called Grosjeanqvist. Frivolous wordplay aside (what else do I have?), this is truly the row of the damned, where the slowest MSR car, the slowest Juncos and the slowest Ganassi are all reposed. Still, the two Qvists have an outside chance at Rookie of the Year honours, especially if the rain comes and Larson is bundled off to Charlotte to drive in the 600-mile race (is it still 600 miles? is it still sponsored by Coke?) at Charlotte.

Row 10: Christian Lundgaard, Conor Daly, Pietro Fittipaldi
What is Christian Lundgaard doing here? I can’t answer this question. Fun fact: Lundgaard’s starting position at Indy is greater than the sum of all his other qualifying positions this season. That said, he has still outqualified two (2) other Rahal drivers. Dreyer and Reinbold’s Conor Daly and the afore-alluded-to Pietro Fittipaldi make up row 10, and are probably in the “happy to be here” contingent, although I wouldn’t dream of saying that to their faces.
960x0.jpg
Row 11: Katherine Legge, Marcus Ericsson (W), Graham Rahal
Hoo boy! You guys (and woman) were lucky to make it. Actually your only rival for entry to the big race, Nolan Siegel, crashed in the attempt so you all passed the first test, which is not crashing while attempting to qualify. Owing to the aforementioned Siegel smash, veteran journeywoman(?) Katherine Legge is Dale Coyne’s sole representative taking part in the race. Coyne has never won the Indy 500 and 2024 is destined not to be his year either. As for Graham, he’s been here before. More of a surprise is Andretti’s Marcus Ericsson leading from behind in 32nd place. The former Sauber driver won in 2022 and nearly doubled up in 2023, which is to say he’s been in contention for almost every Indy 500 in living memory. His engineers will be racking their brains, returning to their drawing boards, and whatever other cliches they resort to in times like these.

OK! That’s enough. We’ve had Carb Day, we’ve had the pit stop contest, the flowers of Hoosierania are probably on their second cases of beer by now and won’t sober up till Monday. There’s not really much to do except to speak meaninglessly until Sunday afternoon. I aim to do this. Enjoy the weekend!

Advertisement

#2 FLB

FLB

• 31,235 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 22:16

INDYCAR Announces Procedure Updates for 2024 Indianapolis 500

• The dashed white line from the exit of Turn 4 to the pit entry attenuator will be officiated for Sunday’s race. Cars that have left-side tires past the dashed line will be penalized unless entering the pit lane, for incident avoidance or in an obvious attempt to avoid a closed pit lane and return to the racetrack.

In accordance with INDYCAR penalty guidelines, INDYCAR can impose penalties that include:

• Drive-through penalty
    • If at the conclusion of the race, a time penalty equal to a drive-through penalty
    • If under yellow condition, the car is ordered to the rear of the restart lineup
  • Consistent with its use at other NTT INDYCAR SERIES events, EM Motorsports light panels positioned around the track will illuminate all flag conditions, including green, to supplement the traditional cloth flag waved at the start-finish line for both starts and restarts. The EM Motorsports light panels are mounted in addition to the traditional track condition lights used at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
  • Restart procedure:
    • In collaboration with NTT INDYCAR SERIES teams and drivers, the 2024 restart line designated in the last corner will not be implemented at the “500.”
    • As in previous years, cars may begin racing (including passing) at the declaration of a green condition.

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 63,359 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 22:17

Newgarden rule!

#4 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,885 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 22:41

This race probably won't happen on Sunday now seeing as I am taking Monday off work to be able to watch it - so you can blame me if it gets washed out...

#5 red stick

red stick

• 14,393 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 22:52

This race probably won't happen on Sunday now seeing as I am taking Monday off work to be able to watch it - so you can blame me if it gets washed out...

Thanks! This relieves us of the responsibility of appointing a committee to apportion blame.

#6 red stick

red stick

• 14,393 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 23:02

As threatened, repeated from the qualifying thread. Because I had to get my jokes in before Risil (or whomever) got his (or hers). :cool:

99 Lines about 33 Drivers, 2024 edition

Row 1
McLaughlin, Power, Newgarden

Real Penske drivers
have Baby Borgs, but then you
knew that already.

Make Liz dismantle
water bottles all day long--
Get that second win!

Hit the button all
you want, and more—this is one
place no one will care.

Row 2
Rossi, Larson, Ferrucci

A second win means
Zak Brown surely has to grant
an extension, right?

Somewhere, above or
below, Robin Miller is
saying, “Told you so!”

A win would make Foyt
ecstatic, but likely blow
up the internet.

Row 3
VeeKay, O’Ward, Rosenqvist

Free agency? A
podium here would put you
on many short lists.

Patience here is oft
rewarded; lack of same gets
you last year’s result.

Being team leader
was all you really needed.
And who but you knew?

Row 4
Sato, Kirkwood, Hunter-Reay

No attack, no chance,
gets one last? outing. A third
win would be epic.

Fastest Andretti.
Try keeping the shiny side
right-side up this year.

Dreyer & Reinbold
in the Fast Twelve? This old dog
still knows a few tricks.

Row 5
Herta, Palou, Ilott

Team lacks usual
pace, but you’ve seven million
reasons for smiling.

Fastest Ganassi
starting here isn’t that great,
but the day is long.

Starting ahead of
last year’s team’s cars must find you
feeling pretty sweet.

Row 6
Armstrong, Carpenter, Simpson

Last race you followed
Dixon—this week you might keep
an eye on Palou.

Only win likely
more heart-warming than Marco
Andretti's drives here.

Experience may
be overrated, but take
it easy, OK?

Row 7
Andretti, Castroneves, Dixon

You’re still the reigning
SRX Champ, no matter
what else may happen.

Team co-ownership
means you can still race here for
awhile, I suppose.

Time for Mike Hull to
pull some magic out of his
hat—more fuel saving?

Row 8
Canapino, Robb, Rasmussen

Winning, or even
a podium, just might make
Argentina cry.

Starting from here, odds
favor moving forward, not
backward. Let us pray . . .

Five hundred miles is
a long way—think of it as
a practice session.

Row 9
Blomqvist, Grosjean, Lundqvist

Five hundred miles is
a long way—think of it as
a practice session.

This row would make much
more sense if only you were
named Romain Grosqvist.

Slowest ‘Qvist, but in
perhaps the best equipment,
could lead to surprise.

Row 10
Lundgaard, Daly, Fittipaldi

If only Honda
smiled on Danes the way it does
aging Japanese . . .

Doing this as a
One-Off beats podcasting; you’ll
need more than Street Speed.

Comparing notes with
Sato is probably your
best bet—Graham seems lost.

Row 11
Legge, Ericsson, Rahal

Doing this as a
One-Off? Not easy, but your
bravery inspires!

From dicing for the
win to the last row—was that
really just last year?

Where has all the speed
gone? With some luck, you will spend
a long time passing.*

* Apologies to Pete Seeger.

Edited by red stick, 24 May 2024 - 23:23.

#7 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,885 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 23:06

Thanks! This relieves us of the responsibility of appointing a committee to apportion blame.

I think the current standard procedure would be to just point the finger at Roger Penske :lol:

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,073 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 23:53

CarbDay..

Jp

#9 loki

loki

• 12,802 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 00:05

I’m still blaming Tony George…

#10 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,073 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 00:38

https://www.instagra...GliMTA3ZG9xaW8=

Jp

#11 loki

loki

• 12,802 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 04:29

I knew she was really sick when she was young but didn't know it damaged her spinal cord.

#12 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,256 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 06:39

In other news, Blue Jackets!

https://www.outkick....winners-jackets

#13 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,689 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 06:46

Unfortunately, an unavoidable work commitment means I'm travelling tomorrow. It is very much my hope and intention that I'll be able to watch the race on the go, but in case that doesn't work out, I wish you all a fun, safe race, and I'm gutted I can't join you all as normal.

#14 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,881 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 07:18

I would love to see Hunter-Reay winning with Dreyer-&-Reinbold/Cusick.

#15 paulb

paulb

• 11,428 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 11:35

In other news, Blue Jackets!

https://www.outkick....winners-jackets

I saw the topic and thought oh geez, but then reading about the jackets, that is special. Worth it too for the Foyt interview.

#16 paulb

paulb

• 11,428 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 11:37

Unfortunately, an unavoidable work commitment means I'm travelling tomorrow. It is very much my hope and intention that I'll be able to watch the race on the go, but in case that doesn't work out, I wish you all a fun, safe race, and I'm gutted I can't join you all as normal.

Bummer to hear. I hope your plans turn in the most race-favorable direction.

#17 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 63,359 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 11:44

If you have phone signal you can follow the race on here, the pro's option

#18 red stick

red stick

• 14,393 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 11:54

I would love to see Hunter-Reay winning with Dreyer-&-Reinbold/Cusick.

That would be sweet, an even greater surprise than the Meyer Shank win.

I'm not made of stone, so I can appreciate what a Carpenter, Andretti, or Rahal victory would mean to the drivers.

Among non-winners, "Big Team" edition, I'm actively rooting for Palou, McLaughlin, or Herta to pick up a win.

Lundgaard or VeeKay would be nice.

#19 FLB

FLB

• 31,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 12:11

Advertisement

#20 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,859 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 12:19

I've been watching some of those again over the last few days as part of the annual ritual. The crowd sizes on qualy days are amazing.

#21 FLB

FLB

• 31,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 12:25

She has the same resilience and the same fighting spirit as her grandfather and her uncle. As a family, the Unsers have been dealt with horror by the bucketload (losing Jerry in 1959, Big Al losing a daughter in 1983, Al, Jr.'s addictions, etc.). Despite her suffering, she's showing the will to live is the strongest of all.

Cody Unser Paralyzed Advocate for People with Disabilities - Your Positive Imprint

#22 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 63,359 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 12:43

That would be sweet, an even greater surprise than the Meyer Shank win.

I'm not made of stone, so I can appreciate what a Carpenter, Andretti, or Rahal victory would mean to the drivers.

Among non-winners, "Big Team" edition, I'm actively rooting for Palou, McLaughlin, or Herta to pick up a win.

Lundgaard or VeeKay would be nice.

Palou is due one. It's always more special when it's one of the smaller teams picking up the win.

I think my main hope is that we have a clean run to the finish. Last year was pretty bad, a lot of drivers whose chance had gone trying too hard. Not the worst sin in the world but at Indy everyone pays the price.

#23 FLB

FLB

• 31,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 12:46

I think my main hope is that we have a clean run to the finish. Last year was pretty bad, a lot of drivers whose chance had gone trying too hard.

After what was said last year post-race, I just want Ericsson and O'Ward to stay as far away from each other as possible...  :(

#24 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 63,359 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 12:59

After what was said last year post-race, I just want Ericsson and O'Ward to stay as far away from each other as possible... :(

Ericsson's upheld his end of the bargain so far

#25 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,073 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 13:54

Latest INDYCAR WX weather for tomorrow

https://x.com/indyca...rQm55GKcaIwUsbg

Also,
I’m right there with red stick on his ‘druthers’.
But my fantasy picks are all over the shop. 😱
Jp

#26 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,073 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 14:52

She has the same resilience and the same fighting spirit as her grandfather and her uncle. As a family, the Unsers have been dealt with horror by the bucketload (losing Jerry in 1959, Big Al losing a daughter in 1983, Al, Jr.'s addictions, etc.). Despite her suffering, she's showing the will to live is the strongest of all.

Cody Unser Paralyzed Advocate for People with Disabilities - Your Positive Imprint

Little story...
Back in 98 I was doing a Lenny Kravitz show in Albuquerque.
Just as the show was about to start the head lighting person with the venue (Melanie Maria-Pratt nee Schroder) asked If I could host a wheelchair on the mixing platform. "ABSOLUTELY I could and have the security bumpkins get a ramp up so we can get them up there."
2 mins later the ramp and Cody, Mini Al and Shelly Unser rock up with big smiles and I said..SHELLY UNSER?!?!?!?!
She was very sweet and said "Why yes, that's me and the brood here are my kids".
They turned the riser into a disco,knew all the songs and had the greatest time over the 2 hour concert.
Afterward I said goodbye to all 3 and helped Cody down from the platform. Mother and daughter both gave me a big kiss and I said.."See ya at the track!!" Shelly looked at me strangely as if to say...OK?

Fast forward to Homestead '99 and as I'm walking Greg to his 53rd 3 minute presser of the day I see Shelly and say Hey Shelly !!
She does a double take and smiles the kind of smile one gives when you have no clue who that person is . I said Lenny Kravitz, Alburqueque,...Last November?

HOLY **** That's right..And you work for Players too?!?!?
That's right and tonight we are having a Party at Lenny's pad in Miami...wanna go? I offered.
She said "sure do" but later we found out someone had put the kybosh on her attendance.
That was the last time I saw her.

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 25 May 2024 - 15:26.

#27 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,256 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 14:58

I saw the topic and thought oh geez, but then reading about the jackets, that is special. Worth it too for the Foyt interview.

I know!  I would like to see all the pix in the linings.  Hard to realize AJ has been going to Indy for 70 years!

#28 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,256 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 15:04

Palou is due one. It's always more special when it's one of the smaller teams picking up the win.

I think my main hope is that we have a clean run to the finish. Last year was pretty bad, a lot of drivers whose chance had gone trying too hard. Not the worst sin in the world but at Indy everyone pays the price.

I wish Graham would win just so we can listen to him whine about winning.  And the milk being warm. And the wreath scratching his neck. And kissing the bricks.   :rotfl:

#29 FLB

FLB

• 31,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 15:41

#30 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,539 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 15:47

Illot for the 500 win would be the dream

#31 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,508 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 16:13

Right now I'll settle just for getting the race in tomorrow. WeatherBug currently is showing very low percentages of rain until 2:00 p.m. tomorrow when the chances go to 60%. If we just get a little bit of a delay I think we might be able to get it all in. Of course, if the system speeds up, we're hosed.

It reminds me of my time working with CART and we had two Michigan races and I can't tell you how many times we had a starting time that coincided with the arrival of rain. It was so frustrating, hopefully we don't sit around tomorrow morning totally dry and it breaks loose as they go to the grid.

Edited by B Squared, 25 May 2024 - 16:14.

#32 H0R

H0R

• 4,230 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 16:32

So in all likeliness the race will be run neither tomorrow nor Monday. Can I expect the schedule to stay roughly the same if they race on Tuesday, i.e. green flag at ~12:30?

#33 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,073 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 16:48

They'll get it in before Tues H0R

Here's Todays Drivers Meeting.

Jp

#34 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 5,081 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 17:18

Or get to that magic 101 lap mark then it can be called 

#35 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,508 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 17:30

Jp, thanks for posting the driver's meeting, worth the time.

#36 FLB

FLB

• 31,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 17:35

Or get to that magic 101 lap mark then it can be called 

From what I'm reading, the scenario seems to be a window open early before the showers move in. So, a possible start tomorrow, some running and then they'll see. More storms in the evening. Clear Monday afternoon.

What are the rain chances for the 2024 Indianapolis 500? | wthr.com

#37 paulb

paulb

• 11,428 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 18:03

They'll get it in before Tues H0R

Here's Todays Drivers Meeting.
https://www.youtube....h?v=djRWxE_xyyQ

Jp

Rahal looked pumped.

#38 FLB

FLB

• 31,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 19:18

Looks like Larson is making the 500 his priority: Allgaier on standby for Larson at Coke 600 if rain affects Indy 500 | RACER

#39 FLB

FLB

• 31,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 19:50

Something that speaks LOUDLY to me at 11:58 (and also will to Henri Greuter) :

David Land shows a Michel Vaillant album showcasing IndyCar :)

Advertisement

#40 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 13,071 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 20:02

Something that speaks LOUDLY to me at 11:58 (and also will to Henri Greuter) :

David Land shows a Michel Vaillant album showcasing IndyCar :)

I got my copy already and it was weird to read a story about a race that (at least when I post this) has yet to take place!  It deals with the 2024 Indy 500.

But I prefer the older stories, this story has a few details that ...  Oh well. Let's say you can create what you want in a comic.

#41 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,040 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 21:43

Sorry Risil  but the Benchmark  for a  Nascar driver in the  Indy 500  is Donnie Allison  with  2  top 6 finishes ( Donnie gets very little ink for doin that and i dont recall ever hearing of his open wheel racing in his younger days)

If it goes all 200 Laps  i'd like AJ 's team to get him  the  win.  Actually anyone but a Penske car or a Ganassi  team car would be fine for me.

But if rain hits early and hard   it could be Anyones to win. And if rain is spotted coming  i wonder what kind of speeds the " fuel creators " will run to keep close to the leaders. 

So many sentimental picks to select from this year as well

Paul

#42 FLB

FLB

• 31,235 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 22:24

#43 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,073 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 00:18

SatNight.jpg

https://twitter.com/...5020040/photo/1

Here We Go...

Jp

#44 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,075 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 05:48

Well, I'm watching it tomorrow regardless what happens with rain, as I'm working today, so it doesn't matter to me.

#45 Peat

Peat

• 9,014 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 06:39

https://www.ventusky...7.6;5&l=rain-1h

Looking at this, we might get a few laps done at the start then a looooong wait for a few more.  :cry:

#46 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,508 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:24

At the track, waiting with about 50 others at the turn one main gate for the opening.

#47 Frood

Frood

• 9,994 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:28

Hope you Brian, and everyone else at the track, have a fantastic day with no weather interruptions!

#48 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,073 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:43

Good Morning Race Fans !!

IMG-3276.jpg

Jp

#49 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 63,359 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:44

At the track, waiting with about 50 others at the turn one main gate for the opening.

This is the way to do it. Enjoy!

#50 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,951 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:56

It's coming.