Photo

Not the right type of rider

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brands77

brands77

• 143 posts

Posted 31 May 2024 - 08:38

It looks as if Ducati are not going to offer Marc Marquez a factory seat for next season. Reading between the lines, perhaps they don't like his "no compromises" riding style, it perhaps isn't the right fit for them.

Are there any other similar instances when this has happened? I can think of riders who deserved works rides, but never really got the chance, but not really of a rider who definitely had the speed not being given a ride or having to drop down quite a bit in the pecking order of bikes to get a works ride. Well maybe Kocinski perhaps and Gobert, both were fast, both brought "baggage" with them, but neither was a championship contender at the time, good as they were. Kevin Magee was sidelined after the Bubba Shobert crash but again not really a championship contender.

Perhaps the closest I can think of, is that I have heard that Steve Baker's chances of retaining his works Yamaha 500cc ride for 1978 were harmed by a big fight between his girlfriend and sister (I think) in the paddock in front of the Yamaha bosses, who didn't think much of it. I don't know whether this is true though.

Advertisement

#2 tonyed

tonyed

• 986 posts

Posted 31 May 2024 - 13:03

It's Marquez's attitude I think. He is NOT a team player requiring the team to work for him with no offer to help the team. I think it is called conceit. Kocinski was the same and I not sure that Gobert knew he was in a team, or perhaps, indeed, anyware. I really don't think Ducati want such a character in their team as Marquez. The other baggage he carries is his spats with Rossi, he did certainly not endear himself to Italian fans and Ducati is passionately Italian. 

Yamaha or any other Japanese team do require a certain expression in their riders of loyalty and decorum. Upset them and you might never see a works seat again. Look at Read.  

#3 brands77

brands77

• 143 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 07:04

Hmmm... seems I was wrong about Ducati and MMarquez. As Jorge Martin has signed for Aprilia, that leaves the door open for MMarquez at Ducati, with only Bastianini appearing to be a rival for a works 2025 ride to him.

It really looked to me as if Ducati weren't keen on MMarquez, but I reckon Martin would have waited for the Ducati 2025 works ride to be decided before signing to go to Aprilia. Unless of course Aprilia offer him huge money and he preferred that to the winning machine. I guess he wouldn't be the first to do that.

#4 tonyed

tonyed

• 986 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 10:21

I can see a lot of trouble brewing at Ducati with Marquez. I can't see Bagnaia wanting to share data with Marquez. I see the garage resurrecting the Rossi/Lorenzo barriers. I hope Bagnaia wipes the floor with him. Ducati have done the wrong thing. Not the first time!