Photo
- - - - -

Is This the Coolest Mustang II Ever Built?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,072 posts

Posted 09 June 2024 - 17:32

https://www.hagerty....-ii-ever-built/

Screenshot-2024-06-06-at-4.34.18%E2%80%A

The Ford Mustang II doesn’t get a lot of respect. They were born during an oil crisis and when they debuted as 1974 models, they did so without a V-8 engine option. Still, their styling, size, and fuel economy made them a sales success. While their ‘70s engines and suspensions don’t do them any favors when compared to more modern Mustangs, the underlying design is worth celebrating.

Brett Behrens used a fastback from the final year of Mustang II production, 1978, to show what could be done with a lot of vision and even more talented fabrication.

Phoenix-1978-Mustang-copy-scaled.jpg?aut

Here’s how it looked when it was show at SEMA in 2014.

Edited by Bob Riebe, 09 June 2024 - 17:39.

Advertisement

#2 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,422 posts

Posted 09 June 2024 - 23:32

Well, it is a damn sight nicer looking than this monstrosity https://en.wikipedia...)_(cropped).jpg

Any ideas why you can post jpg and i can't?

#3 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 1,470 posts

Posted 10 June 2024 - 11:10

I remember this car. Considered a Mustang II after seeing it. Glad it is getting more love with that headline because it is. The V10 was interesting but can understand going with a Coyote. Goes to show a project build is never really done. 

#4 10kDA

10kDA

• 1,079 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 02:37

Ummm... no. My vote goes to Charlie Kemp's IMSA car.

b81de1ef0880f25427e47b28f0b28c33.jpg

#5 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 1,470 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 09:34

Ummm... no. My vote goes to Charlie Kemp's IMSA car.

b81de1ef0880f25427e47b28f0b28c33.jpg

It is a cool story for this car. Article has some nice photos as well

https://performance....mustang-ii.html:

#6 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,168 posts

Posted 25 June 2024 - 06:32

https://www.hagerty....-ii-ever-built/

Screenshot-2024-06-06-at-4.34.18%E2%80%A

The Ford Mustang II doesn’t get a lot of respect. They were born during an oil crisis and when they debuted as 1974 models, they did so without a V-8 engine option. Still, their styling, size, and fuel economy made them a sales success. While their ‘70s engines and suspensions don’t do them any favors when compared to more modern Mustangs, the underlying design is worth celebrating.

Brett Behrens used a fastback from the final year of Mustang II production, 1978, to show what could be done with a lot of vision and even more talented fabrication.

Phoenix-1978-Mustang-copy-scaled.jpg?aut

Here’s how it looked when it was show at SEMA in 2014.

I like the early color scheme better.

#7 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 1,470 posts

Posted 30 June 2024 - 11:47

I had forgotten to post previously but here is a look the build with the V10.

https://www.youtube....h?v=PGoZlICY_6Q

Also, a video update from a few years ago which gives more recent details of the car and evolution.

https://www.youtube....h?v=bjCtGkLrpiE

#8 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 30,678 posts

Posted 04 July 2024 - 03:33

Girl I knew in high school got a Mustang II for her graduation. Kinda felt sorry for here, even though I got nothing.

#9 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 1,470 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:57

Girl I knew in high school got a Mustang II for her graduation. Kinda felt sorry for here, even though I got nothing.

I suppose you can say that about a lot of 70's cars. Conceptually, the Mustang II is probably more in line with the original car. History has not looked favorably on this for whatever reason, but everyone seemed to enjoy Mustang II parts for their own hot rods and other mods. Nonetheless, this particular one is nice.

#10 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,780 posts

Posted 17 August 2024 - 22:27

People like to rail against the Mustang II but actually, it saved the Mustang brand. As the Mustang grew larger and more expensive, the sales volume fell.

The Mustang II was the best-selling Mustang in history next to the original. 

Lee Iacocca, generally credited as the father of the Mustang, was of the view that the Mustang II returned the car to its original premise. 

He never intended the Mustang to be a sports car or muscle car, but a stylish and economical car for teachers, students, secretaries, young professionals, etc. 

Edited by Magoo, 18 August 2024 - 12:50.

#11 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,408 posts

Posted 19 August 2024 - 02:26

I don't say this very often...perhaps ever...I agree <ahem>...<cough>....I uh...<hem>...I agree with Lee!

There. I said it.

#12 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,408 posts

Posted 19 August 2024 - 02:37

Iacocca may have had an idea of what he intended to build, but someone had the foresight to see the Mustang's easy slide into a more aggressive sport/muscle category as a bigger (longer) home run than a nice, cheap, secretary's car. Had it stayed that, we would remember what the Mustang was in the hands of drag racers and hot rodders, wondering why the factory never saw the market and bemoaning the death of the model. To wit, the Mustang 2 is not with us, whether it saved the Mustang or not. but I digress, my two cents on the car aren't worth those 2 pennies. I do like the specific subject car of the thread however.

#13 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,780 posts

Posted 19 August 2024 - 15:37

I suppose I would be remiss if I didn't mention that while Lee Iacocca was the marketing mind behind the Ford Mustang, its father on the technical side was Don Frey. 

Frey was known to be one of the smartest people in the car industry. He spoke three languages fluently, English, French, and Russian, and had multiple graduate degrees in mathematics and metallurgy. Along with the Mustang, he was also responsible for the original Ford Bronco and the "Magic Doorgate" aka two-way tailgate. 

There is a story I can't vouch for totally but is too good not to share. One Sunday sitting in church, Ford president Robert S. McNamara designed a car. There were no sketches or drawings, only tables of figures. 

McNamara took the figures to Frey, who said, "What kind of car would this be? Family, sports, luxury?" McNamara answered, "Oh, that's interesting. You can work all that out."

The car was the Ford Fairlane, essentially a Falcon with more air between the parts for a greater markup.