* * * * - 2 votes

2024 24 Hours of Le Mans - the 92nd Épreuve d'Endurance

• Please log in to reply
2536 replies to this topic

#1 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,768 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 13:31

Hello all, it's time once again for the early June madness in the French countryside.

And for this 92nd running of this classic race we're in for a doozy.  For those who have not been paying attention, the introduction of the Hypercar rules to the top class, as well as the switch to GT3 rules in the bottom class, has led to a true buffet of riches.  We have arguably the best fight for the overall win since 1989, with Toyota, Ferrari, Porsche, Cadillac, BMW, Peugeot, Renault, Lamborghini, and Isotta-Fraschini all represented amongst 23 cars.  Yes, 23 top-class entries.  That's more than an entire Grand Prix's worth of fun right there, and we've also got 16 LMP2 entries running Oreca-Gibsons, and 23 GT3 cars from 9 brands.  The full entry list is available here:  https://www.24h-lema...2024-entry-list

If you can"t find something to enjoy from that offering, frankly, you should go take up baking instead.

If you're new to this, welcome.  This race is the 4th round of the 2024 World Endurance Championship, and the first three that you missed were all cracking good fun.  In case you want to rewatch them, the series has an excellent Youtube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/@FIAWEC

They've got highlights, full replays of the races, and all sorts of behind the scenes engagement type stuff to give you the backstories if that's your thing.  I'll give you a moment to go check all of that out, and then you can come back after you've gotten a taste.

c76761c480f05b10c751fd7df16e95c7.gif

You're back?  Great.

Now, last year we had a race for the ages as some truly terrible weather in the early stages created all sorts of havoc and brought pain and misery to many.  But eventually the race settled into a classic 2 way slugfest that nearly came down to the wire, and ended in *spoilers*

Spoiler

What will happen this year?  No one knows.  The cars are faster, the gaps are smaller, and the number of contenders has grown. 

But with the nature of the Balance of Performance, everyone is convinced everyone else is doing this:

mohammad-ali-boxing.gif

So, who's been playing rope a dope, and who's ready to throw bombs?  We're going to find out, but I think the assumption should be they all are.

32yPX4.gif

Last year's shambolic Porsche experience has been turned around and through masses of data and hard work offers a veritable armada of 6 963s that could fight for the win.  Against the Zuffenhausen swarm, Toyota can reply with only 2 of their defending WEC champion GR010s, and Ferrari bring 3 499Ps to the fight.  There could have been more, but they preferred selling 25 of them to suckers.  

dollar-dollar-bills-yall-dollar-dollar.g

Adding some extra spice to the mix we have 3 Cadillac V.Series-R machines that make all the noise, 2 Alpine A424s, 2 Peugeot 9x8 [don't call it an] EVO, 2 Lamborghini SC63s, 2 BMW M Hybrid V8s, and 1 Isotta-Fraschini Type 6-C.  Below that, we have the afor-mentioned LMP2s, which are identical other than paint and harder than a coffin nail; and a GT3 class full of the dreams of everyone who ever bought a lottery ticket.  Seriously, check out the entry list for the visuals:  https://www.24h-lema...2024-entry-list

How do you watch this battle royale?  Well, in the words of the venerable Automobile Club de l'Ouest:

You can follow the race on the circuit thanks to :

- 13 giant screens

- the announcer's voice

- the 24H LE MANS TV application

- Live Timing (click on the link)

- 24 Hours radio (91.5 FM)

Follow the race from home on :

- Eurosport

- L'Équipe TV

- 24H LE MANS TV application

- Live Timing

Or get creative online and reach out to your friendly neighbourhood nigerian prince.  Oh, and most of the teams live stream the race from the cockpit of each car, so if you don't mind a very fixed view of proceedings, those are all on Youtube as well. 

Advertisement

#2 Anja

Anja

• 10,581 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 14:00

I'm gonna be honest, I fully expect Porsche to win. We've seen their strength in the opening rounds, even with BoP uncertainties they have to be the favourites - I mean, it's Porsche and Penske. That way I won't be too disappointed if they do win and any other result will be a nice surprise  :p

Edited by Anja, 11 June 2024 - 14:01.

#3 BRG

BRG

• 26,101 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 14:06

Yay!  The annual weekend without sleep!!  

I see that Toyota have said that Porsche has got it in the bag, so I am expecting a Toyota 1-2. 

The big question is whether the French General Election will affect the race.  The Mayor of Paris apparently has complained that it will affect the upcoming Paris Olympics.  Not clear how?

#4 Peat

Peat

• 9,029 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 14:53

Adding some extra spice to the mix we have 3 Cadillac V.Series-R machines that make all the noise, 2 Alpine A424s, 2 Peugeot 9x8 [don't call it an] EVO, 2 Lamborghini SC63s, 2 BMW M Hybrid V8s, and 1 Isotta-Fraschini Type 6-C.  Below that, we have the afor-mentioned LMP2s, which are identical other than paint and harder than a coffin nail; and a GT3 class full of the dreams of everyone who ever bought a lottery ticket.  Seriously, check out the entry list for the visuals:  https://www.24h-lema...2024-entry-list

I notice from that entry list that there are some new drivers making thier debut this weekend!
Screenshot-2024-06-11-154003.png

And not forgetting the 3rd Ferrari run by AF Corsica!

Edited by Peat, 11 June 2024 - 14:58.

#5 Chick0

Chick0

• 560 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 15:16

I'm gonna be honest, I fully expect Porsche to win. We've seen their strength in the opening rounds, even with BoP uncertainties they have to be the favourites - I mean, it's Porsche and Penske. That way I won't be too disappointed if they do win and any other result will be a nice surprise  :p

I can never not think Porsche will be in with a great chance, they also have most cars in the Hypercar class.  But Toyota and Ferrari are extremely fast. and Ferrari look like they have been playing the BoP game a bit so far this season. 

#6 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,082 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 15:35

Sadly, not trackside this year, and likely not next year either considering the crowds. Last year was insane, this year is expected to be the same. However, because of that, the thing I'm looking forward to most outside the race itself is the ACO's Friday press conference, for the 2025 WEC calendar so that I can see which non-LM race to attend next year. 

Will be stuck to the TV in my living room for most of the week though, with the live stream running.  :clap:

#7 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,768 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 15:46

Something the ACO are touting on their website is their Fun Cup, which as far as support races go, looks to be good fun.  They're going to have 118 (!) VW Beetles beat the snot out of each other for our amusement.  It's not MX-5 Cup, but it's the next best thing.

#8 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,519 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 15:53

You just can't beat Le Mans Race Week!  :clap: 

This edition could be one of the best, the startlist is insane and the BOP looks slightly less extreme than usual.

Can't wait for tomorrow's practice already!

#9 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,768 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 16:01

Yay!  The annual weekend without sleep!!  

I see that Toyota have said that Porsche has got it in the bag, so I am expecting a Toyota 1-2. 

The big question is whether the French General Election will affect the race.  The Mayor of Paris apparently has complained that it will affect the upcoming Paris Olympics.  Not clear how?

The only thing I know about French politics is that you have to complain about someone else doing something, so I am not sure it really matters.  The race will be great, and she might actually deliver on her promise of making the Seine clean enough for humans to swim in it.  I think that could be a win-win, so don't really care about what she has to say.  Anyway, I need to do the proper French thing and stock up on wine for this.

#10 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,154 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 16:46

Been looking forward to this for ages. I'm on annual leave next week, so I'm eagerly counting down the days to the weekend.  :lol: 

Was super cool to see Ferrari (well, anyone other than Toyota) win last year - and will be rooting for the underdogs this year. Hoping the likes of BMW, Peugeot and Alpine can get in the mix and upset the applecart, even though it's probably unlikely. Would love to see Jota do well too - how amazing would it be to see a privateer win, particularly in a year like this?

And let's hope that the safety car procedure is a lot better this year...

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,086 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 17:07

Merci Monsieur Sushi !!

Je me demandais si un sujet distinct serait lancé !!!

Also, JS was busy roping the dope and failed to mention the full live and on-demand coverage on Discovery + in the UK. …
Very handy if you are a BT or Sky customer as it’s free.

I’m rooting for the Ferraris to repeat and another eye on the Caddy’s with all those crack Ganassi drivers.

But if Penske win I’d be happy too.

Just no frickin’ Toyotas

FP1 starts Wednesday at 12:45 BST

j'adore cette course !!!
Jp

#12 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,703 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 17:28

I don't think it's a secret who I want to win...   ;)

#13 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 1,085 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 18:09

Been looking forward to this for ages. I'm on annual leave next week, so I'm eagerly counting down the days to the weekend.  :lol:

Was super cool to see Ferrari (well, anyone other than Toyota) win last year - and will be rooting for the underdogs this year. Hoping the likes of BMW, Peugeot and Alpine can get in the mix and upset the applecart, even though it's probably unlikely. Would love to see Jota do well too - how amazing would it be to see a privateer win, particularly in a year like this?

And let's hope that the safety car procedure is a lot better this year...

It did seem tedious, but very excited for the race.

#14 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 30,332 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 18:19

The SC rules have thankfully been revised so it will be shorter this year. There will not be a "dropping back" procedure (grouping the classes of car before the restart). 

Le Mans Safety Car Procedure Revised; Drop-Back Scrapped – Sportscar365

Supplementary regulations released for next year’s race show that the ‘drop-back’ element has been abandoned, while the ‘merge’ and ‘pass-around’ remain in place.[/size]

Still, they will be somewhat lengthy if we have them due to the remaining 2 parts which they never used to do. The best case scenario is that any incident can be taken care of with slow zones.

Edited by ARTGP, 11 June 2024 - 18:21.

#15 vlado

vlado

• 4,452 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 18:22

I don't think it's a secret who I want to win...   ;)

Please share 

#16 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 13,096 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 18:29

Merci Monsieur Sushi !!

Je me demandais si un sujet distinct serait lancé !!!

Also, JS was busy roping the dope and failed to mention the full live and on-demand coverage on Discovery + in the UK. …
Very handy if you are a BT or Sky customer as it’s free.

I’m rooting for the Ferraris to repeat and another eye on the Caddy’s with all those crack Ganassi drivers.

But if Penske win I’d be happy too.

Just no frickin’ Toyotas

FP1 starts Wednesday at 12:45 BST

j'adore cette course !!!
Jp

Funny, normally I would be OK with Porsche, I have a soft spot for Porsche, normally.

But not this time with this 963 project; with the exception being the privateer cars.

If it has to be a Porsche that wins, then please one of the privateers.

But the top two kind of cars I will root against, even if that means that my #3 of my least like cars will win (this being Toyota)?

One of those two are the factory Porsches.

No need to reveal what the other car is I will root against vehemently.

But with my luck, I'm 99% sure I'll see a winner I didn't want to win.

Asking for a Ferrari repeat will be too much.

#17 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 13,096 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 18:31

Please share 

The one I don't mention either in my most recent post either I believe if I know Muppedmad good enough.

And i think a number of other racing fans support that very same brand of car as well if only because of one single particular aspect of the car.

Exactly the thing why I vehemently root against it.

Edited by Henri Greuter, 11 June 2024 - 18:31.

#18 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,792 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 19:03

There is this.

https://spotters.gui....0_High-Res.pdf

Edited by EightGear, 11 June 2024 - 19:03.

#19 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 20:01

And this, direct from ACO with timings etc https://www.google.c...d=silk&ie=UTF-8

Advertisement

#20 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,154 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 20:01

Last year somebody (I think from memory it was one of the French websites...) did a spotter's guide that used actual photos of the cars, rather than graphics. Does anyone know if there's one like that for this year?

#21 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,838 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 20:11

Rope a dope.... poor Georgie must have had nightmares about that fight for years afterwards...... The history of boxing and who was the GOAT all would have changed if George wisened up during that fight!

Anyway, one of the most exciting parts of this years LeMans is, of course, the launch of the Alpine A290 which is due today or tomorrow.... exciting stuff.

Sadly I'm away and can't watch the race, however, as I'd be cheering on, in this order, Peugeot, BMW, Alipne, I don't think it's going to be a pretty race for me anyway!!!

#22 BarryinIN

BarryinIN

• 121 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 20:12

Yes! Almost time! I’ve been banking sleep all week.
I’ll be watching Steve McQueen around Thursday.

What a great time of year. Isle of Man, then Le Mans.

Go Porsche!
Go Penske!
Go Penske Porsche!

Edited by BarryinIN, 11 June 2024 - 20:12.

#23 EvilPhil II

EvilPhil II

• 1,919 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 20:19

This one is going to be an all time classic 

#24 vlado

vlado

• 4,452 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 20:25

IMG-2366.jpg

#25 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,779 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 21:43

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there is a risk of rain Saturday and Sunday (more so Sunday by the sounds of it). No guarantee it will rain, but it's certainly not guaranteed to be dry for the full 24 hours.

Also there's the usual coverage from Radio Le Mans (including studiovision on Youtube, which is great for synching up the timing of commentary with the pictures)

#26 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 30,332 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 21:55

So, who's been playing rope a dope, and who's ready to throw bombs?  We're going to find out, but I think the assumption should be they all are.

Ferrari and Cadillac. The test day data is embarrassing. Every other manufacturer is doing 330-340km/h in the speed trap (And what Ferrari and Cadillac did last year). In the afternoon session, Ferrari and Cadillac spent almost 50% of their laps not even topping 320km/h. 80% of laps under 330km/h. They are not in trouble. It is rope a dope. 

image.png

Edited by ARTGP, 11 June 2024 - 22:11.

#27 FLB

FLB

• 31,258 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 22:06

I spent more than 40 years not knowinf what this music was. I've had it in my head all week. It comes from a video I have somewhere on a BETA tape and that I must have watched hundreds of times since 1983 (so after Ferrari last year, guess who I want to win this year...  :love:  :kiss:  :lol: ) :

Edited by FLB, 11 June 2024 - 22:08.

#28 red stick

red stick

• 14,420 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 22:08

Penske.
Ganassi.
Jota.

Peugeot would be fun.

#29 FLB

FLB

• 31,258 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 22:32

#30 FLB

FLB

• 31,258 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 22:34

#31 FLB

FLB

• 31,258 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 23:23

This is en francais, but they make a good point for the IMSA fans: The difference between Porsche and Cadillac is that *all* the Porsche teams are sharing info. The Cadillac teams seemingly aren't, even between both Ganassi cars. The best things for Cadillac is that the car is apparently a MONSTER in the Porsche Curves... and Alex Palou:

Edited by FLB, 11 June 2024 - 23:24.

#32 Bordino

Bordino

• 72 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 06:25

Maybe the Mayor of Paris means that the Olympics might be affected by the outcome of the election, which would be certainly true if an all new cabinet is to be nominated because there was some stability in the teams that conducted the Paris Olympics for a while.

After the 6th of July, some new people might be in charge with only a few days from the Opening Ceremony. It is also true that the tension created by this political nonsense can be heavy on the Police shoulders, in an already tense context of terrorist menace.

The Tour de France could be impacted, notably stage 9 which will take place on the second Sunday of election. Free access must be granted to the voting places along the stage.

Don’t have any fear for Les 24 Heures, The ACO is stronger than many politics and mightily embedded in the local scene, and that week-end is not an electoral one.

As my wallet still recovers from last year’s edition, I will be following from a distance, with radio, TV and internet. I will be rooting for the #3 Cadillac of Sébastien Bourdais or for any other car excluding the Porsches.

Have a mighty race !

#33 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,154 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 06:36

The Cadillac teams seemingly aren't, even between both Ganassi cars.

Well, that just sounds...stupid. 

#34 Stoffel

Stoffel

• 63 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 06:55

Is FP1 broadcasted these days? I need to know whether I feel a bit under the weather this afternoon and go home a bit early.

#35 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,082 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 07:09

Is FP1 broadcasted these days? I need to know whether I feel a bit under the weather this afternoon and go home a bit early.

Listed on the WEC TV website with full coverage.

https://fiawec.tv/sp...12223b41b8b80dd

#36 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,317 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 08:00

Subscibed, looking forward to it.

#37 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,168 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 09:13

You just can't beat Le Mans Race Week!  :clap: 

Ah, the once a year crowd and media who ignore the sport for the other 51 weeks......Similar to the Tour de France which attracts the same one a year mob. 

Give me the N24 & Giro d'Italia anytime......

Saying that, I'll still watch most of the action, but I don't put it on a pedestal like nearly everybody else does.....

#38 BRG

BRG

• 26,101 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 09:22

Ah, the once a year crowd and media who ignore the sport for the other 51 weeks

To be fair, a 24 hour race is equivalent to at least 12 Grand Prixs or 8 Indy 500s, so they aren't slacking that much!

#39 DevilDare

DevilDare

• 463 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 09:40

Estre, Lotterer and Vanthoor in a Porsche. It's a foregone conclusion and I'm all here for it.  :love:

Edited by DevilDare, 12 June 2024 - 09:40.

Advertisement

#40 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,086 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 10:06

Yes! Almost time! I’ve been banking sleep all week.
I’ll be watching Steve McQueen around Thursday.

What a great time of year. Isle of Man, then Le Mans.

Go Porsche!
Go Penske!
Go Penske Porsche!

Hey Barry !!! ( or anyone watching from America )
What TV channel is this on in the USA ?

Jp

#41 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,086 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 10:08

€urosport 2
Discovery +

Jp

#42 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,154 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 10:08

Ah, the once a year crowd and media who ignore the sport for the other 51 weeks......Similar to the Tour de France which attracts the same one a year mob. 

Give me the N24 & Giro d'Italia anytime......

You can't compare Le Mans to Nurburgring. For me, Le Mans is a lot more special purely because it is a once a year thing - compared to at the Nurburgring, where they're holding NLS races etc pretty constantly throughout the year. 

Don't get me wrong, Nurburgring has its place too - and during the lean years of Le Mans, it has probably been the better 24 hour race. But it's impossible not to get excited about this many Hypercars racing for 24 hours. And how many 24 hour GT3 races are there these days, anyway? 

#43 FLB

FLB

• 31,258 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 10:23

Well, that just sounds...stupid. 

And it think it explains why GM made the decision it made at the end of last year, despite the fact the car is winning races in IMSA.

#44 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 37,150 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 10:37

We ruined Le Mans for in family and social circle interested - Celebrating our 25th in Denmark with party starting Saturday at 15:00 Danish standard time.

#45 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 37,150 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 10:37

Forza Ferrari!!1

#46 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 13,096 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 10:38

I spent more than 40 years not knowinf what this music was. I've had it in my head all week. It comes from a video I have somewhere on a BETA tape and that I must have watched hundreds of times since 1983 (so after Ferrari last year, guess who I want to win this year...  :love:  :kiss:  :lol: ) :

The one thing that always bewildered me about the renault '78 Le Mans team is that how many differences there were between the four cars that, at first sight and at large looked so similar yet had so many differences under their skins.

And that is excluding the Canopy on the #2

#47 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 13,258 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 10:42

We ruined Le Mans for in family and social circle interested - Celebrating our 25th in Denmark with party starting Saturday at 15:00 Danish standard time.

:mad:

It better be a damn good party!

#48 red stick

red stick

• 14,420 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 10:46

Hey Barry !!! ( or anyone watching from America )
What TV channel is this on in the USA ?
Jp

Motor Trend channel, flag to flag.

#49 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,519 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 11:45

First official practice session about to begin!

#50 vlado

vlado

• 4,452 posts

Posted 12 June 2024 - 11:49

€urosport 2
Discovery +

Jp

Thank you