Photo

Goodyear Tires

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,072 posts

Posted 11 July 2024 - 17:11

I was reading my latest issue of Classic Racer and one article mentioned how Kenny Roberts was almost got the shaft due to the fact he was using Goodyear Tires.

Does any one know when did Goodyear stop making motorcycle racing tires?

Advertisement

#2 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 358 posts

Posted 11 July 2024 - 22:08

I believe Goodyear pulled out of motorcycle road race tire production around 1984, or so.

Bob

Correction-according to the Kenny wikipedia page he switch over to Dunlop for the 1982 season as Goodyear pulled out. The listed reference for this is below, I don't have the book to verify.

Dennis, Noyes; Scott, Michael (1999), Motocourse: 50 Years Of Moto Grand Prix, Hazleton Publishing Ltd, ISBN 1-874557-83-7

Edited by Bikr7549, 11 July 2024 - 22:34.

#3 GregThomas

GregThomas

• 265 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 20:23

While we're on the subject of Goodyears, I have a question.

Goodyear first did roadrace tyres in the late/mid 60's afaik. Mainly for the US market and of course a treaded tyre as was common at the time.

Here in NZ one or two guys went to the US and rode in the AMA Nationals - and brought Goodyears home with them

They were seen as a possible substitute for the Dunlop Triangular so someone imported them.

I believe Goodyear stopped production of the roadrace tyre probably prior to 1970.

Were they seen in the UK ?  They had a very distinctive tread pattern.

#4 Bikr7549

Bikr7549

• 358 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 21:49

Kevin Cameron discusses the tire situation around this period in this excellent video. It is about the TZ750, specifically, but that bike seems to have influenced the development of many things, especially tires. The answer you are looking for may be in there somewhere.

Bob

#5 GregThomas

GregThomas

• 265 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 07:32

He's talking about the second period of interest from Goodyear. Everyone seems to have forgotten their first efforts.

I was curious whether the early tires had made it to the UK. They certainly did make it to NZ

I bought a wheel with one of the early tires fitted at a local swap meet a couple of years ago. That tyre is now in a local collection of bike memorabilia.

#6 tonyed

tonyed

• 986 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 13:50

In 1981 my good friend and I went and raced in the 250 race at Daytona. We were on Dunlops. Just before the 5 lap heat was called the AMA official called into our garage to inform us that if you're running Dunlops, you can't. The Dunlop rep had failed to register them. As the 'wrench' of our team I pulled the wheels out and hot footed to the Goodyear place where the Dunlops were hurriedly replaced by the 'Same tyres that Felice is running'. After the heat we were given the go ahead to run the Dunlops. So I swapped them over. I'd paid for the Goodyears on my credit card and we loaded them into the shipping crate. I'd planned to use them on my 350TZ at home. Sadly some barsteward half inched them out of the crate during the journey. Never mind bloody tyre bills today.    

Edited by tonyed, 13 July 2024 - 13:52.

#7 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,167 posts

Posted 15 July 2024 - 01:19

Not my favourite product. I race cars not bikes but most Goodyears have no more than 3 heat cycles and turn to rock.

Road race version I drove on wore the shoulders to the case,, wankmaster square shoulders, very heavy to steer as well.

Speedway tyres I gave up scrounging used as they all had no bite. Lots of tread but just gone hard.

Avon is now owned by Goodyear and manufacturing will be in Belgium and they will be marketed as Nova. When? Tyre range? It will be less than Avon made and I dont lnow if their is any bike tyres. I beleive some may be marketed as Cooper [also a Gooodyear brand] or Goodyear

Evidently the Avon factory was at the point of falling down.

All this from my local Goodyear agent.

#8 billlawrence

billlawrence

• 166 posts

Posted 16 July 2024 - 02:26

I remember Kenny Roberts had some Goodyears stollen at Oulton Park at the match races not much point as they couldn't use them without being found out   

#9 PJ52

PJ52

• 35 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 16:52

I was at the 1975 Match Races at Oulton and IIRC saw Kenny hand cutting Goodyear Slicks, presumably to make intermediates.  He had full wets available to him and demolished the opposition in the wet at that meeting. 

#10 10kDA

10kDA

• 1,079 posts

Posted 20 July 2024 - 13:35

Avon is now owned by Goodyear and manufacturing will be in Belgium and they will be marketed as Nova. When? Tyre range? It will be less than Avon made and I dont lnow if their is any bike tyres. I beleive some may be marketed as Cooper [also a Gooodyear brand] or Goodyear

Sales may be less than expected in Spanish-speaking markets LOL

#11 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,726 posts

Posted 21 July 2024 - 21:08

Not my favourite product. I race cars not bikes but most Goodyears have no more than 3 heat cycles and turn to rock.

Road race version I drove on wore the shoulders to the case,, wankmaster square shoulders, very heavy to steer as well.

Speedway tyres I gave up scrounging used as they all had no bite. Lots of tread but just gone hard.

As a sometime club racer, the best tyres I had were Avons, AM22/23 I think which I found better than the Dunlops