Photo

NEWSPEAK, current motor racing terminology

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,632 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 14:15

One of the first pages I turn to in Motor Sport when each new issue arrives, is Doug Nye’s page. Like most of us on this Forum, and probably a sizeable number of Motor Sport’s readers, I enjoy Doug’s erudite and occasionally curmudgeonly observations , though these are always expressed in his habitual gentlemanly manner. In the latest issue, Doug rails against what many of us regard as F1’s version of “Newspeak”, the examples he gives in his article’s headline are ‘running P3’, ‘in quali’, and ‘turn 5’, but there are so, so many more.

Peak blood pressure occurs when he mentions the replacement of the three letter single syllable word ‘pit’ by the now almost universally used and equally short and plosive word ‘box’, which to most of us appears to have come from nowhere to effect a takeover in F1 terminology, so where did that particular verbal irritation come from, who could Doug blame, maybe one of his ‘Old Friends’? The only convincing explanation I’ve seen appears on page 102 of Max Mosely’s eponymous autobiography, which it’s quite possible that Doug, in common with many members of TNF have not read, though with certain reservations I’d recommend it.

In FOCA’s early days, there were many conflicts with race organisers and related officialdom, much of it instigated of course by J M Balestre. A particular problem back then was passes, which were issued at the Organiser’s discretion, teams never knew how many they were going to receive, or even who exactly would be issuing them. At a FOCA meeting before the 1974 Monza race, Bernie and Max suggested that FOCA should itself issue these essential items. On the air charter flight to Milan for the GP, they travelled together in those days remember, these new FOCA passes were distributed, a simple piece of yellow cardboard with ‘Monza’ and ‘Box’ printed on it, simply because those concerned believed that ‘Box’ was Italian for ‘Pits’, though possibly it isn’t, who knows? At the circuit, all concerned offered these items to officials, ignoring the supposedly ‘Official’ items, and the passes were accepted by pragmatic officialdom. According to the late Max, that was when ‘Box’ entered motor sport terminology.

I knew Max Mosley a little back in the 1970s, he was part-timing as my law lecturer at university, and we met again during his time at MARCH. I suspected then that he didn’t remember me from earlier days, but he hadn’t changed a bit, charmingly erudite, brilliantly sharp, and always the last to put his hand in his pocket to buy a round. We all knew about his slightly dubious background of course, but back then I liked him a lot, honestly.

Advertisement

#2 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 966 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 14:32

I assumed that the term 'box' had been chosen instead of 'pit' for reasons of clarity in pit-to-car communication. It's fair to assume that 'box' couldn't be mis-heard as anything else while 'pit' maybe could be heard as any number of words ending in -it, from 'hit' to 'sh*t'.

Often these terms get picked up by the less knowledgeable to make them appear more knowledgeable.

Meanwhile, if they continue to use the term 'aerodynamic' without a qualifying statement, they still sound like ignorant buffoons. 

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,739 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 14:40

Here’s an earlier thread on the origins of those terms:

Origins of the terms ‘box’ and ‘pit’

In it Michael Ferner noted that the universal German word for pit/pits is Box/Boxen.

#4 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,559 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 14:42

Has somebody "just gone purple"?

#5 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,492 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 14:52

In it Michael Ferner noted that the universal German word for pit/pits is Box/Boxen.

Thanks, that’s what I recalled.  I’m not sure why the German term became almost universally accepted.  Personally I never use it in this context.  Most of us in the US see Sky’s  F1 coverage.  Those guys must be some of the worst offenders. 

#6 Collombin

Collombin

• 9,168 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 14:54

Has somebody "just gone purple"?

You do hear of drivers going purple in their middle sector. Sounds even worse than figure skaters falling on their Double Salchow.

#7 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,276 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 15:57

Indeed, going purple has more to do with hearing some of the Newspeak: rotate, send, undercut etc!

In the pre-race chat for C4's coverage of the British GP there was a comment about the great history of the circuit where "the corners have proper names".

It wasn't long before the race commentary reverted to numerical nomenclature...

Doubly confusing for a circuit that routinely uses two different starting lines. GTs go off the startline into what? Turn 7? Turn 8?

My first awareness of 'Box' for pit (and consequently used as a verb too) was in coverage of the DTM.

- - - - -

Doctor, doctor, my friend is choking on a 'Quality Street'!

The purple one?

Yes, that's him!

Edited by 2F-001, 12 July 2024 - 15:59.

#8 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 913 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 17:52

Over- and Under-Rotation  instead of Oversteer & Understeer.  

#9 GLaird

GLaird

• 55 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 18:15

Overspeed

#10 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,739 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 18:20

Points-paying.

#11 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 966 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 19:23

"Winningest" used to be a thing in Indycar but now seems to have been dropped; maybe some of these later annoyances will go the same way?

#12 La Sarthe

La Sarthe

• 133 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 21:04

When did the finishing line become 'the stripe'?

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 81,024 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 22:22

At least we won't be stuck with the problem cricket has adopted...

(Doug might like this)

There 'batsmen' have become 'batters', but we'll always - I imagine - have 'drivers'.

Mind you, some time ago the 'mechanic' became the 'engineer'. In some parts of the world there's the same problem with describing the person who works on your road car. 'Technician' has become popular.

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 81,024 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 22:27

Originally posted by La Sarthe
When did the finishing line become 'the stripe'?

Mike Raymond introduced this to Australian television audiences (V8 Supercars and their predecessors) well over twenty years ago. Probably over thirty.

I always thought he was saying 'the strike' and I'm not alone in thinking that.

He had a speedway background and brought a number of 'innovative' expressions to the telecasts, fortunately he's not there any more.

#15 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 362 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 23:23

(Doug might like this)

There 'batsmen' have become 'batters', but we'll always - I imagine - have 'drivers'.

Mind you, some time ago the 'mechanic' became the 'engineer'. In some parts of the world there's the same problem with describing the person who works on your road car. 'Technician' has become popular.

Somewhat off-topic, but this reminds me of my first full-time job in the '70s as a Quality Inspector (QI) for a well-known car hire company. For my job interview I was told I would take the cars that customers had just dropped off, drive them into the garage and "there's a special machine you put in them that cleans them". Yeah, right. For QI read "car cleaner" (perhaps with the words "young and very gullible" added) and the machine was a vacuum hose that was hand-held throughout the operation...

The US-based senior management of said company used to fly into Heathrow, tell the various regional managers to "go and make so-and-so happy" (i.e. redundant) and fly out again. We called it Seagull Management as they would fly in, crap all over us, and fly out again without ever progressing further than the airport hotel meeting rooms.

Edited by Nick Planas, 12 July 2024 - 23:23.

#16 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,523 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 02:48

Whomever invented this terminology was clearly thinking outside of it.

#17 john aston

john aston

• 2,775 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 06:18

Because I'm an old fart I rant and fulminate at finishing , not second , but in P2 ;at Turn 1 instead of Abbey and at Qually instead  of Practice . Rotation used to mean spinning and for sure  'turn in' became very popular with 70s drivers. Box has been around for ever , for those ...err... unfortunate enough  not to have English as their first language. Drivers used to say something  was very difficult or that they were very happy with finishing in  P1 but now every expression of emotion is prefaced by 'super' - 'I'm super pumped to be in P1 ' . 

But when I wasn't an old fart,  did my reference to Lauda being in a Ferrari  annoy the Boddy generation , who would've referred to Miles Tuppy -Glossop being on a Frazer Nash

#18 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 07:18

"Podium" appears to have become a verb; its past participle is particularly grating to my ear.

(Even when it was still just a noun it seemed odd to be winning one; were they giving away the trackside furniture instead of trophies?)

I don't know where to start with "full send" - particularly common in GT racing.

#19 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 580 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 08:19

Right with you on that one, 2F-001! Hearing that someone has "podiumed" creates some very strange mental images, too. I don't recall who is responsible for starting this particular abomination...

Advertisement

#20 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 580 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 08:22

Because I'm an old fart I rant and fulminate at finishing , not second , but in P2 ;at Turn 1 instead of Abbey and at Qually instead  of Practice . Rotation used to mean spinning and for sure  'turn in' became very popular with 70s drivers. Box has been around for ever , for those ...err... unfortunate enough  not to have English as their first language. Drivers used to say something  was very difficult or that they were very happy with finishing in  P1 but now every expression of emotion is prefaced by 'super' - 'I'm super pumped to be in P1 ' . 

But when I wasn't an old fart,  did my reference to Lauda being in a Ferrari  annoy the Boddy generation , who would've referred to Miles Tuppy -Glossop being on a Frazer Nash

There seems to be a general descent into hyperbole and over-usage of superlatives, in everything from sport to music and all points in between. So many times, we are told by over-excited presenters that things are "incredible" or (even worse) "iconic", where most of us would say they were "good" (or probably not even that!)

#21 Collombin

Collombin

• 9,168 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 08:30

So many times, we are told by over-excited presenters that things are "incredible" or (even worse) "iconic", where most of us would say they were "good" (or probably not even that!)

Or a pole position lap (usually lasting less than 90 seconds) being "epic".

#22 opplock

opplock

• 979 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 08:51

There seems to be a general descent into hyperbole and over-usage of superlatives, in everything from sport to music and all points in between. So many times, we are told by over-excited presenters that things are "incredible" or (even worse) "iconic", where most of us would say they were "good" (or probably not even that!)

I first experienced this at Imola in 1984. The opening practice session for San Marino GP started on a rapidly drying track and every driver completing a flying lap set a new fastest time. After 5 minutes the commentator had exhausted every superlative in the Italian language and almost shouted himself hoarse. "Andrea de Cesaris, magnifico, supendico, fantastico". It was hilarious, resembling a 33rpm recording of Murray Walker played at 78 or a Basil Fawlty rant dubbed into Japanese. 

#23 BRG

BRG

• 26,474 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 08:58

Over- and Under-Rotation  instead of Oversteer & Understeer.  

I fear that the otherwise quite sensible and measured David Coulthard may have been the main proponent of that.  He has been using the term, and irritating me intensely in the process, for some years now. 

#24 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,538 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 09:20

(Doug might like this)

Driver is neuter. Batsman, OTOH, is not. MCC finally recognised this officially in the 2021 revision of the Laws of Cricket, not least because of the increasing popularity of the women's game. As an Australian, you may not be familiar with either Piers 'Morgan' Moron or Simon 'Hefferlump' Heffer, both of whom are quoted in this report, but as follower of both men's and women's cricket I'm personally very happy to be on the opposite side of the argument (such as it is) to them.

#25 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,538 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 09:34

I might be wrong, but I think even WB and his ilk only ever used 'on' to refer to pre-Great War cars. You can certainly find it in press reports of the earliest Brooklands meetings, but when you remember that rather than numbers the drivers were - like jockeys - listed on what was then referred to as the race card according to the colour of their 'silks' it makes a bit more sense.

Equally, even in Lauda's time the French press would probably have said he was 'sur Ferrari' rather than 'dans un Ferrari'. Or 'auf Ferrari' in German, I think?

#26 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,628 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 09:59

Batter is what encases one's cod, or plaice, or 'addock - although I have indeed seen batsmen (of variable genders) whose ability has proved inferior to any such lump of sun-tanned fatty encrustation.   :cool:   

DCN

#27 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,559 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 10:00

Unfortunately the Google Ngram search is not subtle enough to determine changes in usage of "on a" and "in a". Maybe somebody knows the right syntax?

I have just checked usage in a few books close to hand. Racing Car Review for 1948 in which WB and DSJ seem to have settled on "in a" for the photo legends/captions. Bira in Bits and Pieces (1942) uses "on a" although Monkhouse goes for "in a" a few years earlier in Motoraces. SCH Davis, in A Racing Motorist, occasionally uses "on a" but preferring "with a".

#28 Collombin

Collombin

• 9,168 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 10:01

Raymond Baxter was using "on" in commentaries well into the 1960s I think.

#29 BRG

BRG

• 26,474 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 10:05

Maybe new terminology becomes OK if it predates the hearer?

#30 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 580 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 10:36

Batter is what encases one's cod, or plaice, or 'addock - although I have indeed seen batsmen (of variable genders) whose ability has proved inferior to any such lump of sun-tanned fatty encrustation.   :cool:   

DCN

'Tis but a short step to "the player with the bat", and other such politically correct pronouns....  :drunk:

#31 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,604 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 10:39

I'm not sure the cliché is a recently-invented form. I remember when every accident was a "hundred mile-an-hour smash", and newspapers would headline a "British victory" by Porsche if Ickx and Bell were involved. There was a period when circuit commentators spoke only in public-school accents about "motor cars" and always told us what a wonderful day it was. Nothing fundamentally wrong with that, but then neither is there with the fact that clichés still abound.

#32 marksixman

marksixman

• 341 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 12:10

And don't get me started on "two times" instead of "twice" etc., in motorsport as well as several other sporting and news fields !!

#33 10kDA

10kDA

• 1,079 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 12:52

"On" and "in" can be tricky. Not limited to motorsport commentary, examples might be determined by just exactly what type of transportaion is involved. People are generally referred to as being "in" small general aviation aircraft, yet "on" an airliner. A friend lives near a SoCal general aviation airport with most traffic being celebrity and corporate bizjet-class operations. Sometimes she mentions some or other famous person "on" their jet arriving or departing. To me that sounds a bit strange. I'm not sure where the break point is - "in" a 6- to 8- seat cabin-class, yet "on" 12-seats+ ? I suppose it goes back to rail or ship travel, ex. train passengers - "___ is arriving on the 5:15." I don't recall an instance of passengers described as "in" a large ship, nor "on" a rowboat - though describing someone as "in" the Titanic, for example, could be considered accurately appropriate. :drunk:

#34 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 81,024 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 13:15

Originally posted by marksixman
And don't get me started on "two times" instead of "twice" etc., in motorsport as well as several other sporting and news fields!

I'm not sure where this comes in...

But it reminds me of one of my pet hates, 'two times more than...' or 'six times more than...'

These are incalculable figures, requiring explanation of what is being said.

#35 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 13:33

I find, for example, "ten times less than" particularly annoying. I assume that "a tenth of" or "zero-point-one-times" is what is meant, but the grasp of basic maths amongst journalists and broadcasters (and the population in the UK as a whole to be honest) is so woeful, that I'm never entirely sure what they mean.

If we were to go ‘full send’ on applying horse-race terminology to motor sport, we’d have - for example - “Le Mans ’96: won by Jones, Reuter & Wurz on TWR-Porsche WSC, by Joest, out of Jaguar; winning margin 2,830 lengths”.

Edited by 2F-001, 13 July 2024 - 13:36.

#36 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,060 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 13:34

Some time ago, when I could still be slightly interested so watched races on the TV, I remember the commentator used the expression "Pole Sitter" when referring to whoever it was in Pole Position on the grid concerned. I didn't like it then and wouldn't like it now, as it refers to people who sit on poles, not those in pole position.

#37 GLaird

GLaird

• 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 13:49

They did a feature on it in Blue Peter, back in the days of John Noakes, the fishermen who sat on poles, not the driver in Pole Position.

#38 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 14:21

Doesn't the term 'pole' come from horse racing too?

I've heard that said, but it didn't seem wholly conclusive.

This chap, though, has to be the greatest polesitter:

https://en.wikipedia...Simeon_Stylites

Edited by 2F-001, 13 July 2024 - 14:21.

#39 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,523 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 14:27

I’ve always thought “single-seater” was the result of a terrible accident.

Advertisement

#40 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,739 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 15:21

I’m baffled by one term that regularly crops up these days on many websites and social media platforms. When referring to an engine with an in-line cylinder arrangement such as Climax FPF or Maserati 250F, the engine is described as an ‘L4’, ‘L6’ etc. Why ‘L’? The cylinders aren’t in an L-shape, they’re in a straight line. It makes no sense to me.

#41 Collombin

Collombin

• 9,168 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 15:36

180 degree V is another strange one even though I get that they are distinguishing it from the boxer (piter?) type of flat engine, but there must be a better term that could be used.

#42 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 17:23

L4, L6 etc...

I wonder if someone's thinking 'longitudinal'; but it's a bit highfalutin - and only works if they also use T for transverse.

#43 PCC

PCC

• 1,111 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 17:29

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned 'power unit' yet....

#44 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,632 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 17:31

L4, L6 etc...

I wonder if someone's thinking 'longitudinal'; but it's a bit highfalutin - and only works if they also use T for transverse.

Linear?

#45 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 476 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 19:02

I assumed that the term 'box' had been chosen instead of 'pit' for reasons of clarity in pit-to-car communication. It's fair to assume that 'box' couldn't be mis-heard as anything else while 'pit' maybe could be heard as any number of words ending in -it, from 'hit' to 'sh*t'.

Often these terms get picked up by the less knowledgeable to make them appear more knowledgeable.

Meanwhile, if they continue to use the term 'aerodynamic' without a qualifying statement, they still sound like ignorant buffoons. 

The use of "box" in English for what has typically been called "pit" might stem in part  from the rise of the Austrian Red Bull and German Mercedes teams - in the past decade or so, F1 teams from German-speaking countries have had a prominence that has not been the case previously, when British and Italian (Ferrari) teams had typically been dominant.

This is reminiscent the verbal codes used by NATO air forces:   

"Fox" is typically used on radio communications to denote a missile firing.  In western military use, it's used instead of "fire", since "fire" can mean things like fire onboard an aircraft or in an engine, target, etc.  In part it's a shortened version of "Foxtrot" the NATO phonetic alphabet word for "F", but the short "o" sound is also not confused with the "i" sound.

Something similar might be at work in F1 where radio communications are public.   The 3-word repetition "box, box, box" with the short "o" vowel is unambiguous, in a way that "pit" might be misheard, as sabrejet suggested in his post.

Edited by Emery0323, 15 July 2024 - 13:31.

#46 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 966 posts

Posted 13 July 2024 - 19:28

One that always grips me is the sound of turbo stall being described as "wastegate chatter". I always assume the person describing it thus has either never driven a turbo car, or not observed when it occurs.

Sadly it seems to be a commonplace statement these days, going forward (see what I did there?).

#47 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 81,024 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 03:06

'Going forward'? 'Reaching out'?

Don't get me started.

The 'L' designation is particularly silly when applied to engines of yesteryear, like the Ford T, Chrysler flathead 6, Terraplane and many more. These had what were termed 'L heads', being of side-valve configuration, but were also inline engines.

#48 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,027 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 08:09

(Doug might like this)

Well, women play cricket now (and are doing better than the fellas, lots of the time. Hardly appropriate to call them 'batsmen' and 'batswoman' is a bit ponderous. 

And the people who work on your road car are most certainly no longer mechanics. They don't fix anything, just replace the assembly the pre-ordained test plan identifies as the culprit. Indeed, their qualification is now 'Automotive Repair Technician' or something like that. Certainly they're no longer Fitters and Turners. 

And 'engineering' a racing car is a bit different from being the mechanic, these days. 

But I've taken to calling the hairpin at Sydney Motorsport Park 'Creek' Corner... You have to fight back in small ways. 

BRM

#49 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,110 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 08:52

This is reminiscent the verbal codes used by NATO air forces:
"Fox" is typically used on radio communications to denote a missile firing. In western military use, it's used instead of "fire", since "fire" can mean things like fire onboard an aircraft or in an engine, target, etc. In part it's a shortened version of "Foxtrot" the NATO phonetic alphabet word for "F", but the short "o" sound is also not confused with the "i" sound.

Something similar might be at work in F1 where radio communications are public. The 3-work repetition "box, box, box" with the short "o" vowel is unambiguous, in a way that "pit" might be misheard, as sabrejet suggested in his post.

Precisely this. Teams stopped using “pit” because a driver could potentially misinterpret a request to “repeat” a poorly received radio comment as an instruction to pit, especially because the old (pre VOIP) radio systems tended to clip the start of a message. “Box” is far less open to misinterpretation. It’s the elimination of a potential problem before it occurs (though doubtless at some point someone learned the hard way).

#50 BRG

BRG

• 26,474 posts

Posted 14 July 2024 - 08:52

Perhaps Doug could do something about one term that I abhor - "race car".  No, it is a racing car.  And MotorSport magazine have perpetuated this in their current issue about the "Race Car of the Century"  :evil: