Classic Nostalgia

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 870 posts

Posted 17 July 2024 - 15:55

Who is going there this weekend?

One of my favourite events as a competitor and spectator.  Everyone there is an enthusiast.

Advertisement

#2 djr900

djr900

• 190 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 12:42

Who is going there this weekend?
One of my favourite events as a competitor and spectator. Everyone there is an enthusiast.

Need some more info ?

Is it in the UK ?

"Classic Nostalgia" typed into Google etc. , brings up all sorts of stuff

#3 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 870 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 13:11

Surprised you have no knowledge of Shelsley Walsh, the oldest motorsport venue in the world.

Classic Nostalgia 2024 | Shelsley Walsh

#4 BRG

BRG

• 26,632 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 14:35

I don't know djr900's location, but I am in the UK and I had to Google classic nostalgia to discover what , where and when it is.  Knowing about Shelsley Walsh is neither here nor there if there is no hint that it is the venue.

#5 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,432 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 15:09

No weapons, knives, drugs, fireworks or flares are allowed.

not very nostalgic

#6 djr900

djr900

• 190 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 16:30

Surprised you have no knowledge of Shelsley Walsh, the oldest motorsport venue in the world.
Classic Nostalgia 2024 | Shelsley Walsh

Thank you , for clarification

Yes, I am in the UK, and have heard of Shelsley Walsh, but have never been, so I am not up to date with what the events there are called.

Just writing "classic Nostalgia" isn't much help, it's about as useful as writing "festival" , which could mean - Festival of Speed, Formula Ford Festival , or Glastonbury Festival

#7 fyrth

fyrth

• 93 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 18:25

Leaving aside these petty comments. Shelsley Walsh is the best motorsport venue in the world with a continuous and illustrious histopry.

I learnt about it in 1956 reading my father's Autosport although did not visit until 1978, immediately joining the Midland Automobile Club that runs the place. Surprising little has changed from the early days, the paddock still has an old world charm with narrow sheds wide enough for 20's cars and happily remaining so.

Only healthy spectators climb the hill to Bottom and Top Ess but worth the effort, a fabulous vista much the same as 50 years ago.

So do visit, be it the Classic Extravaganza or a normal clubby - it's a nice place.

I might even be there this coming weekend!

Fyrth

#8 68targa

68targa

• 1,234 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 08:55

This is a nice friendly annual event, very relaxed atmosphere. Sadly I can't go this year, I went a few years back when Hans Stuck had a run in an Auto Union C Type, very entertaining.

This is what the website promises so if anyone is in the area it is well worth a visit.

"Classic Nostalgia makes a welcome return to the Midland Automobile Club's Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb on the weekend of the 20-21 July 2024."

• Spectacular motor racing at one of the oldest motorsport venues in the world

• Flagship event to celebrate 40 years of Prodrive success on stage, track and road

• Tyrrell 011, Lotus 18 & ex-Michael Schumacher Benetton added to incredible line-up of F1 cars

• Thunderous V8 NASCARS to tackle the legendary 1000-yard hill climb course

• A stellar line up of competing Group A, Group B and WRC rally cars

• Special guests include Stig Blomqvist, Stuart Graham, Mike Wilds, Bob Evans, Stuart Dent and Tony Southgate

• Exhibition of Speed: showcasing the works of more than a dozen talented artists

• Classic & Sports Car Concours – no advance entry required: just turn up and show off your classic!

• Startline VIP Club: rub shoulders with our celebrity guests!

• Pole position parking for all classic vehicles and visiting car clubs

• Quality trade stands selling everything from accessories to motoring books, models, art and memorabilia!

• Vintage fashion competition for the best and most authentic vintage outfit

• Plus, non-stop entertainment, main stage interviews, live bands and more!

• Children under 16 years old go free with an accompanying paying adult​​

#9 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 985 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 10:17

I was thinking of going but the line-up looks a bit too 'F1/tin-top' for me.

But I'd recommend Shelsley to anyone; a summer morning in the Teme Valley is rarely bettered.

#10 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,876 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 12:34

Is Stuart Dent (Twinny) there on book signing duty or demonstrating one of his cars ?

#11 PaulButler58

PaulButler58

• 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2024 - 09:05

I went yesterday and had a really enjoyable time. Got to have a chat with Mike Wilds and Bob Evans having purchased their books and got , in my opinion, a great deal on the Roger Williamson / Tom Pryce books by Darren Banks and Kevin Guthrie. Another eclectic mix of cars again with the highlights for me being the Hesketh and the Audi Quattro's both of which send me back to happy days! 

I did think attendance was lower this year, the "classic car" field was very sparsely populated really , quite a few Morgans and Jaguars but the usual mix of more "mundane" classics weren't there. Lots of pegs for cars to be so unless they all decide to rock up today I wonder if people are being more astute as to where they go.

I also thought the there were fewer spectators as well , not as crowded as it has been before, not sure if the forecasted weather put people off but we had a lovely with the odd sprinkle of rain before we left at about 3.

Once again I really enjoyed it and even my wife seemed to get a kick from it however her comment was that she enjoyed seeing the cars come back down the hill because she could look and admire them more sedately!

#12 RCH

RCH

• 1,156 posts

Posted 21 July 2024 - 10:13

Some years ago when Shelsley wanted to extend their lease my mother happened to see a leaflet I had been given somewhere about the hill climb. "I used to go there before the war" she said, "on the back of my cousin's motorbike or in his Morgan". Now I knew she spent weekends with relatives in Worcestershire and she knew that her son was motor sport obsessed from the time he could tell a Jaguar from a jampot. So why hadn't she mentioned it before? Somehow the thought of my mum on a motorbike or that a member of her largely pedestrian family had a Morgan just does not compute.

Sorry I'm being irrelevant again.. 

#13 marksixman

marksixman

• 343 posts

Posted 21 July 2024 - 11:12

Sorry I'm being irrelevant again.. 

You are not being irrelevant at all !

Life becomes memeories, and memories become nostalgia. That's a great word - where have I heard it before ?!

#14 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,576 posts

Posted 22 July 2024 - 06:36

Did anyone bump into Stuart Dent, formerly Twin Window of this parish, on the BHP Publishing tent promoting his new book?

#15 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 870 posts

Posted 22 July 2024 - 18:03

I competed again, although clutch issues limited it  to one day.  I thought Sunday was well attended.  Only really a couple of "modern" F1s (relatively) and some good Gp B cars and the Prodrive collection including the new P25 which was possibly the fastest car up the hull (untimed). Not keen on the NASCAR cars, Not sure why they have them.  

The club display was dominated by Porsche with loads of modern models and quite a lot of Morgans.  The Concours cars were brilliant. Some great restorations of unique cars. 

#16 mariner

mariner

• 2,375 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 10:32

My wife and I went Sunday. A long  tedious drive from north of London, made worse by most of rural Oxfordshire being a 20 mph limt but really worthwhile.

The crowd was huge by normal SW standards a 40 minute delay to get in on Sunday morning we were told.

As many have said SW is a prefect rural setting and the paddock is jsut old fashioned enough to complemnet what we thought was a great collection of Histoirc cars.

To have three F1 cars from trhe different decades was nice and , whilst I don't think NASCAR cars and the SW " garden path" really match their noise was great and one of the drivers did nice long V 8 powerd burn-outs to please the crowd.

I am not a great rally fan but seeing all those Audi Quattro's and Subaru's charging up a reasonable facsimile of a rally tarmac stage was great.

Alll in all very good and such nice low key contrast  to the mega corporate hype of the FoS and Slilverstone Classic, good thought hey are .

Edited by mariner, 23 July 2024 - 10:38.

#17 Macca

Macca

• 3,741 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:33

Did anyone bump into Stuart Dent, formerly Twin Window of this parish, on the BHP Publishing tent promoting his new book?

I saw from FB that he was there.

So were Bob Evans, Mike Wilds and Tony Southgate - what a great opportunity that would have been to gather yet more anecdotes for V4.

Paul M