Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:34

Well, well, well.

Didn’t see that coming…

Advertisement

#2 CSF

CSF

• 3,005 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:39

It's not been a great few years for Seidl. 

#3 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,374 posts

AMuS also says Krack is on the way to Audi from AM.

Interesting times ahead.

#4 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,783 posts

Well Oliver Hoffmann is out as well after his internal fight with Seidl.

Binotto back in business.

EDIT:

Full AMuS news is here (German) => https://www.auto-mot...-seidl-binotto/

Edited by Yoshi, 23 July 2024 - 12:44.

#5 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 5,016 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:40

Ketchup.5d79301e7afaf.png

#6 ATM

ATM

• 1,273 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:43

Cue Sainz to Audi again; he got along very well with Binotto.

#7 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,959 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:44

Well that was a good move by Seidl wasnt it.....certainly for McLaren anyway.

#8 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 40,663 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:46

I knew something was going on, it was to quiet. Also it has to be said, once Seidl left McLaren they did a lot better. 

#9 Peat

Peat

• 9,218 posts

Was he bad? My impression was that he did a decent job there?

#10 Miles749

Miles749

• 565 posts

What a bizarre trajectory for Seidl.

#11 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,733 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:49

Was he bad? My impression was that he did a decent job there?

Apparently it was Seidl's job to recruit Sainz.

#12 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,905 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:49

That's a surprise. I thought that Seidl was very highly-rated and was the driving force behind Audi's entry?

#13 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,374 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:50

I knew something was going on, it was to quiet. Also it has to be said, once Seidl left McLaren they did a lot better. 

Did they do better because Seild made it possible?

There is always a relatively long delay between the results on track and what happens in the factory.

#14 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,853 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:51

Thread title is incorrect: Binotto will join as COO and CTO, both of which are much more suited to him than CEO or Team Principal.

I appreciated Seidl's job at Porsche, but left a little hesitant after his stint at McLaren, but never got what was Hoffmann really doing.

Edited by JRodrigues, 23 July 2024 - 12:53.

#15 CSF

CSF

• 3,005 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:51

That's a surprise. I thought that Seidl was very highly-rated and was the driving force behind Audi's entry?

I feel like his star has shone a lot less since 22/23. Certainly Zak Brown felt vindicated moving him and James Key on who Seidl seemed joined at the hip with... 

#16 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,469 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:55

There is always a relatively long delay between the results on track and what happens in the factory.

yeah, McLaren's rise began under Seidl. It's weird revisionism some do now. Binotto feels like a clear downgrade to me

#17 mirrorboy

mirrorboy

• 68 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:56

Seidl can't stay at the same team for more than 2 years, can he?

Maybe he is planning on working for every team in the grid.

Edited by mirrorboy, 23 July 2024 - 12:57.

#18 Miles749

Miles749

• 565 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:58

yeah, McLaren's rise began under Seidl. It's weird revisionism some do now. Binotto feels like a clear downgrade to me

Sounds more like a political problem than a results based one. Seidl and Hoffman are both replaced.

One thing that works against Seidl is that Sauber is very slow this year, Key doesn't seem to have figured it out and that McLaren started to blossom after they replaced him. 

#19 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,853 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 12:59

Mattia Binotto takes over a leadership position for Audi in Formula 1

• Mattia Binotto will be Chief Operating and Chief Technical Officer at Sauber Motorsport AG
  • Realignment of the control structure of the future Audi factory team
  • Oliver Hoffmann and Andreas Seidl are leaving the project
Preparations for entering the highest class of motorsports are going full speed ahead at Audi. As part of the complete takeover of all shares in Sauber Holding AG and the associated realignment of the control structure, the management of the future Audi factory team is now being renewed. On August 1, the former F1 team head Mattia Binotto is joining the Audi F1 project and will take on its leadership in Hinwil.

“I am delighted that we have been able to recruit Mattia Binotto for our ambitious Formula 1 project,“ says Gernot Döllner, CEO of AUDI AG. “With his extensive experience of more than 25 years in Formula 1, he will undoubtedly be able to make a decisive contribution for Audi.“ Following his university degree in mechanical engineering at EPFL in Switzerland, the Italian immediately joined the F1 test team of Ferrari in 1995. He subsequently had various positions, from chief engineer to manager of the engine department and technical director. In 2019 he was additionally appointed as team head of Scuderia Ferrari.

In future, Mattia Binotto will be Chief Operating and Chief Technical Officer (COO and CTO) in the leadership team of Sauber Motorsport AG, with responsibility and accountability for the operative management and sporting success of the racing team. Mattia Binotto will report to the Board of Directors of Sauber Motorsport AG.

The decision for Mattia Binotto is part of the realignment of the control structure for the future Audi factory team. This realignment ensures the autonomy and independence of the Audi F1 project. In this context, Audi is reorganizing the management team for its F1 activities. “Our aim is to bring the entire Formula 1 project up to F1 speed by means of clear management structures, defined responsibilities, reduced interfaces, and efficient decision-making processes. For this purpose, the team must be able to act independently and quickly,” says Gernot Döllner, who will take the position of chairman of the Board of Directors of Sauber Motorsport AG in future.

Oliver Hoffmann, previously Chairman of the Boards of Directors of all Sauber companies, and Andreas Seidl, previously CEO of Sauber Motorsport AG and Sauber Technologies AG, are leaving the project as part of the realignment. Gernot Döllner: “I would like to thank Oliver and Andreas for their important work in establishing our entry into Formula 1 and their commitment in preparing it.“

Now they just need to find a good Team Principal (and hire Newey)

Edited by JRodrigues, 23 July 2024 - 13:04.

Advertisement

#20 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,416 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:03

Now I believe Audi is in some level of trouble.

Hoffmann's bio already gone form Audi's site.

#21 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,844 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:08

I wonder how long Jim Key will last now

#22 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,374 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:17

More details from Formu1a.uno:

https://formu1a.uno/...rzi-in-ferrari/

- Binotto is currently COO and CTO

- Audi is strongly interested in Mike Krack (Aston Martin) as COO

- Audi is already trying to poach from Ferrari: Gualtieri (head of PU) already has an offer from Binotto

Strong moves from Audi

#23 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,416 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:21

More details from Formu1a.uno:

https://formu1a.uno/...rzi-in-ferrari/

- Binotto is currently COO and CTO

- Audi is strongly interested in Mike Krack (Aston Martin) as COO

- Audi is already trying to poach from Ferrari: Gualtieri (head of PU) already has an offer from Binotto

Strong moves from Audi

With a whiff of desperation moves.

#24 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,240 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:21

This time Seidl did nothing so far. So what's up?

Binotto has his record right, and he is a Swiss, so not a bad match.

But the dice is rolling with no reasons, so might not be a such great move for Binotto neither.

#25 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,778 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:22

Seidlined

#26 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 40,663 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:24

This is a legit question and I agree there is often a HUGE lag, look at WIlliams, it will take Vowels 3 to 5 years to get that right.

I do suspect though, with Siedl gone it freed up Stella, maybe had one too many cooks? The feeling is that after the progress made in 21/22, the terrible early 23 car was Siedl's and the massive updates were Stella's. But you raise a good point.

#27 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 1,470 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:25

The decision for Mattia Binotto is part of the realignment of the control structure for the future Audi factory team. This realignment ensures the autonomy and independence of the Audi F1 project. In this context, Audi is reorganizing the management team for its F1 activities. “Our aim is to bring the entire Formula 1 project up to F1 speed by means of clear management structures, defined responsibilities, reduced interfaces, and efficient decision-making processes. For this purpose, the team must be able to act independently and quickly,” says Gernot Döllner, who will take the position of chairman of the Board of Directors of Sauber Motorsport AG in future.

Oliver Hoffmann, previously Chairman of the Boards of Directors of all Sauber companies, and Andreas Seidl, previously CEO of Sauber Motorsport AG and Sauber Technologies AG, are leaving the project as part of the realignment. Gernot Döllner: “I would like to thank Oliver and Andreas for their important work in establishing our entry into Formula 1 and their commitment in preparing it.“

I have no judgements on what Siedl and Hoffman have done so far. However, judging from this it sounds like bureaucracy got in Seidl's and Hoffman's way, and Audi's response was to replace them. Oh, and fix the bureaucracy that seems to have been the problem. 

Edited by Secretariat, 23 July 2024 - 13:33.

#28 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,240 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:26

This is a legit question and I agree there is often a HUGE lag, look at WIlliams, it will take Vowels 3 to 5 years to get that right.

I do suspect though, with Siedl gone it freed up Stella, maybe had one too many cooks? The feeling is that after the progress made in 21/22, the terrible early 23 car was Siedl's and the massive updates were Stella's. But you raise a good point.

Audi is working on an usual corporate operation where the bosses eliminate his mistakes by expelling his lieutenant? 

#29 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,374 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:27

Can the mods correct the title?

Binotto is NOT the new CEO, he's COO and CTO.

#30 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,241 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:29

Seidled out

#31 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,853 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:30

Audi is working on an usual corporate operation where the bosses eliminate his mistakes by expelling his lieutenant? 

There were too many bosses: Seidl, Hoffman and Stefan Strahnz (ex-Mercedes recently appointed Programme Director). They got rid of 2 of them.

#32 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,756 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:35

This time Seidl did nothing so far.

Maybe that was, precisely, the problem.

#33 BertoC

BertoC

• 1,863 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:36

Seidl was important in organization and starting the new wind tunnel but he was too conservative, once he saw Key was lost he should have acted but he did nothing. That 22 season was a disaster.

#34 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,963 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:38

I edited the title.

#35 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,783 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:41

I'm wondering if James Key will surive, since he could not deliver so far.

Hopefully yes - since 23 races we are waiting for a point. :wave:

Edited by Yoshi, 23 July 2024 - 13:50.

#36 Darnswim

Darnswim

• 489 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:43

Well, this was unexpected to say the least, especially since Seidl worked for Porsche before he joined McLaren. Something must've clearly been going badly behind the scenes.

#37 JL14

JL14

• 851 posts

AMuS also says Krack is on the way to Audi from AM.

Interesting times ahead.

Szafnauer back to F1 with his old team AM then?   :stoned:

#38 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 3,405 posts

Noooo ooh! Oh come on, Audi. Everyone but not Binotto. He's not encompassing the Audi DNA. 

That's heartbreaking **** news.

#39 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,778 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 13:44

Seidled out

Binnedoffo

Advertisement

#40 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,458 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:01

Seidl was important in organization and starting the new wind tunnel but he was too conservative, once he saw Key was lost he should have acted but he did nothing. That 22 season was a disaster.

I always thought given the timing of Key's departure in '23 that the mega Austria/Silverstone upgrade must have already been in the works by that point.

#41 kumo7

kumo7

• 8,240 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:04

There were too many bosses: Seidl, Hoffman and Stefan Strahnz (ex-Mercedes recently appointed Programme Director). They got rid of 2 of them.

What I meant was the bosses they these three had reported. 

#42 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,416 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:04

Was Binotto really that bad at Ferrari?

#43 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,695 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:05

Poor Hulkenberg, pretty sure Seidl was one of the major reasons for him joining the project.

#44 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,853 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:07

Was Binotto really that bad at Ferrari?

Binotto was really good at Ferrari. Just a bad Team Principal.

#45 macjim

macjim

• 172 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:07

All change, generally a F1 teams needs stability to grow and become faster but clearly Audi felt the current rate of progress under Seidel was not good enough, which tbh was true.

Not sure Binnotto will be any better.

Edited by macjim, 23 July 2024 - 14:20.

#46 peroa

peroa

• 10,869 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:11

Well that was a good move by Seidl wasnt it.....certainly for McLaren anyway.

I'd say that had more to do with James Key, judging by the performance of Sauber and McLaren.

#47 cyclist

cyclist

• 334 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:20

I think Audi felt the need for change as the operation seems a bit stuck in its ways. Seidl was brought in to build up the strcuture and then lead the team to success. Obviously Audi lacked trust he could get it done. But it can also be related to politics and probably is at least in part. Management has completely changed at Audi in the last years and the old appointments did not seem to gel well with the new management. This was reported for some time by AMuS.

I think Binotto appointment is a good thing actually. He is a great technical guy, just not great as a team principal. He wore too many hats at Ferrari in the end, but I think he can do well. He knows the politics in F1 and has a lot of experience, way more than Seidl. Especially helpful is his good relations with Ferrari, as it is porbably easier to lure engineers from Maranello then from the UK to work in Hinwil. And at Ferrari he had a lot of experience with the integration of car and PU, which will be very helpful as well. In fact, I think he is pretty perfect for this job.

What I am especially glad about, is that something is finally happening, that some clear statements of intent are made to want to go to the top. I think this might make the team a lot more attractive for a driver like Sainz.

#48 Laster

Laster

• 4,216 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:27

Poor Hulkenberg, pretty sure Seidl was one of the major reasons for him joining the project.

When he joined Renault Vasseur was one of the reasons he joined them. Funny this has happened both times he's joined a manufacturer team.

#49 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,778 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:34

When he joined Renault Vasseur was one of the reasons he joined them. Funny this has happened both times he's joined a manufacturer team.

Team bosses leaving because a podiumless journeyman has joined the team, signalling the teams lack of ambition? :lol:

#50 cyclist

cyclist

• 334 posts

Posted 23 July 2024 - 14:42

Just a mad thought, but could Binotto potentially lure vettel out of retirement? Seb has expressed Interest in the past, and having him in Audi would certainly help marketing. he is not too old yet, and might have refreshed motivation. :stoned: