* * * * * 1 votes

2024 Belgian GP Build Up Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
667 replies to this topic

#51 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,850 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 21:58

My dad seemed to revel at the fact it rained a bit at Silverstone.

He’s going to Spa.

I want it to piss down like it’s never pissed down before. Soak the bastard. I want to see tents floating down Eau Rouge. I’m sure the fans at the track understand.

Thanks. As you were.

Advertisement

#52 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 29,198 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 21:59

It's still wild to me that Spas are named after the town, not the other way round so if, say, Harrogate had been quicker off the mark, we'd talk of going for a nice, restful Harrogate day instead.

How did I not know this?

I assumed it was just like Bath.

Wait, do I only have a bath because of Bath? Rather than Bath is called Bath because it has baths?

#53 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 2,138 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 22:15

Should be a good race. Long track. So a fair bit of field spread… expecting it to suit Red Bull, but cold temps may prove otherwise. Mercedes will be strong and McLaren will be there I hope. Ferrari… somewhere I guess

#54 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 3,096 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 22:40

Verstappen's possible grid penalty opens up such delicious WCC permutations!

Going to be a great race I think

#55 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 1,476 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 22:46

A brand new track surface at Spa-Francorchamps

Pirelli has already been able to assess the new asphalt, a month ago during the 24 Hours of Spa, the classic GTWC race for which the Italian company is the sole tyre supplier. During last June’s race, the GT3 cars lapped three seconds quicker than the previous year, with the same compounds. Of course the performance level of the GT cars cannot be compared to that of a Formula 1 car, not even using the current, highly advanced simulation tools. But it is highly likely that the new surface will lead to a significant reduction in lap times and a considerable increase in the grip level on the resurfaced sections.

Given this information, curious as to by how much it will be. Also, if the grip and potential faster lap times will impact the racing.

#56 Beri

Beri

• 12,919 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 22:49

He’s going to Spa.
I want it to piss down like it’s never pissed down before. Soak the bastard. I want to see tents floating down Eau Rouge. I’m sure the fans at the track understand.
Thanks. As you were.

Fans in Belgium usually don't mind.

#57 ATM

ATM

• 1,273 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 23:09

Faster cars? Prepare for the mandatory extra tire pressure between qualy and race. Then again, this time it might be justified; they already take Eau Rouge flat. Kind of spooky though, with the events în that corner în recent years.

#58 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 34,752 posts

Posted 24 July 2024 - 23:31

Oh - I had assumed this was a sprint weekend because it was last year, but it's not! I was so prepared in my mind I feel a strange sense of disappointment :confused: :lol:

#59 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 3,096 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 00:45

Oh - I had assumed this was a sprint weekend because it was last year, but it's not! I was so prepared in my mind I feel a strange sense of disappointment :confused: :lol:

Exactly the same for me!

I'm so surprised they have run this race now and not gone straight into summer break whilst Olympics are on.  Whilst for me I'm choosing F1 over Olympics, I'm sure it;s not the same for every fan....

Advertisement

#60 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,911 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 02:45

Given this information, curious as to by how much it will be. Also, if the grip and potential faster lap times will impact the racing.

Max could do a 43.6 in Q3 2022. Last year times were not representative because of the rain.

If we have cold temps, dry weather and a new asphalt, track record (41.2) might be achievable.

#61 Wes350

Wes350

• 477 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 04:43

It’s just way too much.

NASCAR does 38 races in ten months.

Kyle Larson did an interview shortly after his 500 attempt, and the subject of IndyCar’s 17 race schedule came up.

Larson was like: “Those guys basically never race…”

#62 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 3,096 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 05:12

Kyle Larson did an interview shortly after his 500 attempt, and the subject of IndyCar’s 17 race schedule came up.

I'd happily have a race every weekend, and that's despite the fact that it's a killer every Monday morning when there's a race on as it's either watch live @ 2300 or get up at 0400 and watch on replay before work

#63 Giz

Giz

• 743 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 05:48

How did I not know this?

Wait, do I only have a bath because of Bath? Rather than Bath is called Bath because it has baths?

Are flies called flies because they fly or is flying called flying because of flies?

#64 JBJ

JBJ

• 1,275 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 05:55

He’s going to Spa.

Thanks. As you were.

as an attendee at Spa 2021, no I don't

#65 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 13,657 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 06:48

How did I not know this?

Just wait until they tell you about orange(s)...

#66 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,629 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 06:51

NASCAR never leaves the same four adjacent time zones, on the same continent.

#67 Beri

Beri

• 12,919 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 07:00

And where the majority of races cars and equipment are transported by a "hauler" and thus there being no very complicated logistics and customs puzzle to solve.

#68 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,629 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 07:02

And where the majority of races cars and equipment are transported by a "hauler" and thus there being no very complicated logistics and customs puzzle to solve.

And no borders and customs to worry about.

#69 Beri

Beri

• 12,919 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 07:30

Granted that for the majority of European races, this isn't much of an issue too. This despite Brexit. But everyone can see that this is a huge advantage in the USA to have goods shipped over an open state border instead of another country.

#70 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,674 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 08:02

Stupid idea of the week; minimum mandated mileage on engines and if you take a new unit then you cannot use the discarded one again.

I would modify from that so that all penalty-free parts can be used at any time. But with the "penalty units", only one is allowed. So as Verstappen gets new power unit at Spa, from that race on he will have earlier units and the new one in use. But if he needs one power unit more, then the power unit taken now cannot be used.

#71 DevilDare

DevilDare

• 533 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 08:23

I would modify from that so that all penalty-free parts can be used at any time. But with the "penalty units", only one is allowed. So as Verstappen gets new power unit at Spa, from that race on he will have earlier units and the new one in use. But if he needs one power unit more, then the power unit taken now cannot be used.

Jokes aside, I do think the rule is either too strict or not penalised enough. It's just sort of floating in no mans land at the moment.

Is anyone bored enough to check if we've had a driver stick to the maximum number allowed in previous couple of seasons? I know this year they upped the number to 4 but half way through the season and we've already got drivers taking extra units and not even due to mechanical issues.

Edited by DevilDare, 25 July 2024 - 08:23.

#72 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,227 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 08:46

Granted that for the majority of European races, this isn't much of an issue too. This despite Brexit. 

With most of the teams being based in the UK, Brexit is very much an issue, every truck leaving the UK has a carnet of what is on the truck, every part needs to be accounted for when the truck gets back. These documents are huge.

#73 Beri

Beri

• 12,919 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 09:02

With most of the teams being based in the UK, Brexit is very much an issue, every truck leaving the UK has a carnet of what is on the truck, every part needs to be accounted for when the truck gets back. These documents are huge.

But not once the caravan of trucks is underway. That was my remark. Trucks have been continuously on the road for the past month with all the back to back races done. With one time only having to cross in and out of the Brexit zone for the British Grand Prix. The Schengen treaty makes this possible quite easy to do so for the European stint of the races. The only time teams have to clear customs, is when they return to the UK or have spare parts being brought out. But since there were so many back to back races, they only had to do this once. For the British Grand Prix. Otherwise the caravan stays on mainland Europe. 

#74 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 18,326 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 10:45

Iirc, you can only introduce one new unit in a weekend. Should you replace it again, only that one goes in the pool. So no stacking of PU's ever session.

#75 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,227 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 12:04

But not once the caravan of trucks is underway. That was my remark. Trucks have been continuously on the road for the past month with all the back to back races done. With one time only having to cross in and out of the Brexit zone for the British Grand Prix. The Schengen treaty makes this possible quite easy to do so for the European stint of the races. The only time teams have to clear customs, is when they return to the UK or have spare parts being brought out. But since there were so many back to back races, they only had to do this once. For the British Grand Prix. Otherwise the caravan stays on mainland Europe. 

Teams return to base between the more local European GP's, they don't stay away, For example, it's Belgium this week, if the race at Zandvoort was next week or the week after, the race cars would be back at the factory for a stripdown and rebuild so the trucks need to negotiate the joys of the UK customs multiple times. The trucks with the motorhomes stay out, the race car trucks don't.

#76 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,911 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 12:41

NASCAR teams have 10-12 different chassis/cars

2 for Daytona/Talladega
2 for Indy/Michigan
2 for 1.5 milers
2 for short ovals
2 for ultra short ovals

And they have multiple transportation teams.

#77 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 1,793 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 12:54

Insane to be having 5 races in 6 weekends. It’s way too much on all involved.

And people made such a deal about a SIM race…The only week off for Max he was asked to do the Red Bull 20th anniversary.

I love F1 but I’m delighted that these guys can have a break now for a few weeks

#78 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 7,106 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 12:58

I hope for more fireworks between drivers, teams, intra-team battles, I want the lot. It's part of the fun.

Insane to be having 5 races in 6 weekends. It’s way too much on all involved.

And people made such a deal about a SIM race…The only week off for Max he was asked to do the Red Bull 20th anniversary.

I love F1 but I’m delighted that these guys can have a break now for a few weeks

Yep. Same in football, then they wonder why players get injured more often and why they have more dips in form.

#79 Earthling

Earthling

• 3,624 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 13:41

Are flies called flies because they fly or is flying called flying because of flies?

What do you call a Fly with no wings?

Advertisement

#80 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,913 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 13:47

Iirc, you can only introduce one new unit in a weekend. Should you replace it again, only that one goes in the pool. So no stacking of PU's ever session.

That's correct.

During any single Competition, if a driver introduces more than one of the same Power Unit element which is subject to penalties, only the last element fitted may be used at subsequent Competitions without further penalty.

#81 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 5,023 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 13:58

What do you call a Fly with no wings?

A walk.

Or a raisin.

#82 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 13,657 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 14:42

You don't call it anything. It won't come if you call it.

#83 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,751 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 14:59

How did I not know this?

It would be cool but...

The word 'spa' actually comes from the Latin word 'Solus per aqua' meaning health from water and a spa tub was used in ancient times to cure muscle aches and heal wounds of soldiers.

#84 Autodromo

Autodromo

• 1,117 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 15:31

I'm excited because for some reason I'd been thinking this race was next weekend (when I am on travel and wouldn't be able to easily watch it until after the weekend).  But I have time this weekend!  Woohoo.

As for NASCAR vs F1, I have made the same point before.  Remember, no one is FORCING the F1 teams to haul around these huge motorhome complexes.  They could do with a nice motorhome or two instead.  They could greatly simplify the logistics if they wanted, especially for all the European races.  

#85 Beri

Beri

• 12,919 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 15:41

Teams return to base between the more local European GP's, they don't stay away, For example, it's Belgium this week, if the race at Zandvoort was next week or the week after, the race cars would be back at the factory for a stripdown and rebuild so the trucks need to negotiate the joys of the UK customs multiple times. The trucks with the motorhomes stay out, the race car trucks don't.

So you're telling me that the race car trucks are returning to their bay if there is a back to back race? I highly doubt that since the logistics involved are almost preventing this. With a 2 week schedule, yes. But not back to back races. And that is what we got since the end of June. Only back to back races on mainland Europe with the exception of the return to the UK with a 2 week gap before and after. That is what I was on about.

#86 ANF

ANF

• 32,054 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 16:17

It would be cool but...

The word 'spa' actually comes from the Latin word 'Solus per aqua' meaning health from water and a spa tub was used in ancient times to cure muscle aches and heal wounds of soldiers.

No, that nonsense solus per aqua, sanitas per aquam, etc. is a misunderstanding or a myth. It's not an acronym at all. A spa is named after Spa, the town northwest of Francorchamps. From Oxford Learner's Dictionaries under Word Origin: "early 17th cent.: from Spa, a small town in eastern Belgium which has been celebrated for the curative properties of its mineral springs since medieval times". (OED's earliest evidence is from 1565.)
https://www.oxfordle...ion/english/spa
https://www.oed.com/dictionary/spa_n
https://dictionary.c...ary/english/spa
https://www.merriam-.../dictionary/spa
https://www.collinsd...ary/english/spa
https://www.etymonline.com/word/spa
https://www.etymolog...log/belgian-spa

#87 Grippy

Grippy

• 498 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 16:28

How did I not know this?

It appears Bath is named after the act of bathing (from Germanic/Old English) rather than v.v.

In roman times it was named Aquae Sulis before becoming abandoned for several centuries.

The first section of this page is interesting (the rest of it probably is if you have a deep need for the history of Bath);

https://www.british-.../vol1/pp219-288

As regards the race, does anyone know if the cameras measuring wing-flex are just for future (possible) action, or could there be a directive prior to the race?

#88 ANF

ANF

• 32,054 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 16:37

It's a long list of changes to the circuit. Some corners have been widened slightly to make track limit monitoring easier, like we have seen since the Red Bull Ring.

The most interesting change is that guardrail (armco barriers) have been replaced with impenetrable concrete walls in front of six marshal posts (halfway down the Kemmel Straight, at the exit and entry of Les Combes, at the exit of Fagnes, and at the entries to Campus and Courbe Paul Frère). So marshals will be more protected and there will be no risk of a car penetrating the barrier, like Grosjean in Bahrain, or an engine doing it, like in the Road to Le Mans race last month: https://www.youtube....SgfYqai8?t=3848

Full list of changes:

Spoiler

#89 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,335 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 16:56

But no changes to the runoff? The gravel ones installed earlier were not enough.

#90 jonklug

jonklug

• 1,990 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 17:02

But no changes to the runoff? The gravel ones installed earlier were not enough.

Let Perez have a little shot at not binning it this weekend. 

#91 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 26,000 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 17:13

It's a long list of changes to the circuit. Some corners have been widened slightly to make track limit monitoring easier, like we have seen since the Red Bull Ring.

The most interesting change is that guardrail (armco barriers) have been replaced with impenetrable concrete walls in front of six marshal posts (halfway down the Kemmel Straight, at the exit and entry of Les Combes, at the exit of Fagnes, and at the entries to Campus and Courbe Paul Frère). So marshals will be more protected and there will be no risk of a car penetrating the barrier, like Grosjean in Bahrain, or an engine doing it, like in the Road to Le Mans race last month: https://www.youtube....SgfYqai8?t=3848

Full list of changes:

Spoiler

This is really useful, thanks - I’ve added it to the OP.

#92 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,452 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 17:15

Awe, Lewis...

https://x.com/fiagir...POufakBLlw&s=19

He understands Lando's frustrations, but I get the impression he's so cool about it that Lando's probably going to explode if he doesn't win this weekend.

#93 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 5,539 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 19:46

Still nothing official from the red bull side of things on a grid penalty for max maybe we get word tomorrow 

#94 917k

• 2,982 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 20:30

Ditching DRS on Kemmel would be ideal…I think everyone sees it’s too powerful here but every race we get these comical overtakes….get rid of it, shorten it but do something.

Edited by 917k, 25 July 2024 - 20:30.

#95 Autodromo

Autodromo

• 1,117 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 21:27

This actually seems like the perfect track for Max to take the penalty.  This track offers up good passing opportunities for vehicles with strong DRS capabilities.  And which car seems to have the best DRS?? :-)

#96 OO7

OO7

• 23,567 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 21:52

Ditching DRS on Kemmel would be ideal…I think everyone sees it’s too powerful here but every race we get these comical overtakes….get rid of it, shorten it but do something.

I disagree with that.

#97 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,242 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 21:54

Awe, Lewis...

https://x.com/fiagir...POufakBLlw&s=19

He understands Lando's frustrations, but I get the impression he's so cool about it that Lando's probably going to explode if he doesn't win this weekend.

The more I see of Lando, the more dislikable I find him. I really have no idea why he's so popular. 

#98 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 13,663 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 22:00

Spa looks like a great track to drive on and to see the cars but I've been underwhelmed by the races there

Not a lot of good racing

#99 RekF1

RekF1

• 2,452 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 22:02

How did I not know this?

Bath is called bath because the Romans built a nice bathroom in the middle of it. In fact, any Bathonian could use it for free before some selfish German tourist guy decided to drink the water and die a few weeks later.

Sulis was a goddess of the thermal water so 'Aquae Sulis' is more Romantic than 'Bath'.

You have a bath because you would be smelly otherwise. It's called Bath because that's what the Romans did there.

Disappointing really isn't it.

Advertisement

#100 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,895 posts

Posted 25 July 2024 - 22:22

If you had to pick one circuit of the calendar, I think most of us would pick Spa!

I would definitely ditch the DRS zone at the Kemmel straight, and replace it a smaller zone immediately after Blanchimont. Also, Spa would greatly benefit from a reduction in downforce, as Eau Rouge, Pouhon and Blanchimont would become proper corners again.