Photo

Peter Procter RIP

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 913 posts

Posted 16 August 2024 - 19:03

Peter Procter sadly passed away earlier today.

Probably noted for his accident at Goodwood in 1966, in which his saloon car somersaulted several times then burst into flames, causing 3rd degree burns to most of his body.

In his early years, he was a keen and successful cyclist before switching to rallying and circuit racing...he competed in the Monte, RAC and Alpine Rallies plus several GPs and Le Mans. 

His autobiography was Published 15-20 years ago, "Pedals and Pistons"

RIP Peter ):

Advertisement

#2 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,866 posts

Posted 16 August 2024 - 20:24

Very sorry to hear this ☹️

#3 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,236 posts

Posted 16 August 2024 - 21:15

Peter Procter sadly passed away earlier today.
Probably noted for his accident at Goodwood in 1966, in which his saloon car somersaulted several times then burst into flames, causing 3rd degree burns to most of his body.
In his early years, he was a keen and successful cyclist before switching to rallying and circuit racing...he competed in the Monte, RAC and Alpine Rallies plus several GPs and Le Mans.
His autobiography was Published 15-20 years ago, "Pedals and Pistons"

RIP Peter ):

Sadly I'm not hugely surprised by this and was amazed he lived for so long with cancer but he was one tough cookie.

A huge help to me with the Mike Spence and Tyrrell books, he was very encouraged supportive and, equally as importantly for an author, full of excellent stories.

Could've been a Grand Prix driver for Cooper when Ken Tyrrell was deputising for John Cooper but Peter would've had to give up his successful business.

My sincere condolences go to Shirley and all of Peters family.

#4 LOTI

LOTI

• 296 posts

Posted 17 August 2024 - 08:21

I am so sorry, but not that surprised, to see that Peter has died, what an extraordinary man and possible the bravest I have ever known. As stubborn a Yorkshire man as they come and a mine of funny stories. To see them in the BRDC club house surrounded by friends and enjoying every moment of a racing weekend. I shall remember them like this.

Loti

#5 Roryswood

Roryswood

• 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2024 - 08:57

Peter died August 15th aged 94

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,638 posts

Posted 18 August 2024 - 12:58

If ever there was a real warrior member of the BRDC, Peter Procter was it.  I vividly remember the awful fire in which he was trapped for so long - 28 seconds - within his Broadspeed Anglia at Goodwood, and also the gut-wrenching controversy which followed publication of so many photographs of him miraculously extricating himself, all the while in flames, and his immediate suffering...  

His burns seemed so extensive - some 65 per cent - that few around at the time ever expected him to have the merest chance of survival, but due to a combination of his fantastic personal resilience and brilliant burn-surgery he did - and did so well - for a further 58 years.

Sincerest sympathy to his incredibly admirable wife, family and many friends.

As a one-time leading British road racing cyclist he swopped to cars in the later 1950s and proved his considerable talents in circuit racing, rallying, single-seaters, saloon and GT cars. Just consider these results from his racing record:

Cooper Mk X- Mallory Park 500 Final- 1st Place

Cooper Mk X- Mallory Park 500 Race- 1st Place
Cooper Mk X- Oulton Park Gold Cup- 5th Place
Cooper Mk X- Charterhall 500 race- 1st Place

Ford Zodiac- Tulip Rally- 17th Overall 3rd in Class
Cooper Mk X- Mallory Park 500 race-1st Place
Cooper Mk X- Sherburn 500 race- 1st Place    
Cooper Mk X- Barbon Hill Climb- F.T.D.

Sunbeam Rapier- Tulip Rally- 13th Overall 3rd in Class
Cooper Mk X- Mallory Park 500 Race- 1st Place

Lotus 18 FJ- Mallory Park Formula Junior- 1st Place
Lotus 18- Rufforth F.J. Race- 1st Place
Sunbeam Rapier- Acropolis Rally- 3rd Overall 1st in Class
Sunbeam Rapier- Alpine Rally- 5th Overall 1st in Class

Sunbeam Alpine- Le Mans 24 Hours- 16th Overall 2nd in Class, 1st Place Index of Thermal Efficiency
Sunbeam Alpine- Sebring 12 Hours- 17th Overall 3rd in Class
Sunbeam Rapier- Alpine Rally- 2nd Place
Sunbeam Rapier- Acropolis Rally- 5th Overall 2nd in class
Sunbeam Rapier- Monte Carlo Rally- 12th Overall 1st in Class
Lotus 18 FJ- British Empire Trophy- 3rd Place
Lotus 18 FJ- Rufforth- 1st Place
Lotus 18 FJ- Charterhall- 1st Place
Lotus 18 FJ- Linton on Ouse- 1st Place
Lotus 18 FJ- Aintree- 1st Place
Alexis FJ- Aintree- 1st Place
Alexis FJ- Rufforth- 1st Place

Cooper MkIII FJ- Dunboyne Formula Junior- 1st Place
Sunbeam Alpine- Le Mans 24 Hours- 15th Overall 3rd in Class
Sunbeam Alpine- Sebring 12 Hours- 15th Overall 3rd in Class
Sunbeam Rapier- Monte Carlo- 4th Overall 2nd in Class

Cooper MkIII FJ- Roskilde Ring - 3rd Place
Cooper MkIII FJ- Monaco- 4th Place
Morris Mini Cooper- ETCC Zolder- 2nd Place

Ford Lotus Cortina- Brands Hatch 6 Hours- 1st Place
Lotus Elan- Brands Hatch Grand Prix Sports Car Support Race- 1st in Class 5th Overall 
Sunbeam Rapier- Monte Carlo Rally- 15th Overall 3rd in Class
Ford Mustang- Tour de France- 1st in Touring Category
Lotus 32- F2 Berlin Grand Prix- 2nd Place
Lotus 32- F2 Vienna Grand Prix – 2nd Place

Ford Lotus Cortina- ETCC Zolder- 2nd Place

Ford Lotus Cortina- ETCC Zandvoort- 3rd Place

Incidentally, this remarkable man's autobiography 'Pedals & Pistons' published in 2009 - when he was already 79 - is recommended reading.

DCN

#7 FLB

FLB

• 32,579 posts

Posted 18 August 2024 - 16:40

A biography from the 500 Owners Assocation: Peter Procter – 500race.org

Edited by FLB, 18 August 2024 - 16:41.

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,638 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 17:24

This informative, moving and heartfelt obituary for Peter from the BRDC today:

It is with great sadness that the Club has to inform Members of the death of Peter Procter last Thursday 15th August at the age of 94. He had been suffering from ill health for several months. Originally elected as a Full Member in 1968, Peter became a Life Member of the BRDC in 1990. He was the Club’s Regional Co-ordinator for North East England from the beginning of the scheme some 20 years ago.

Racing was very much a feature of Peter’s life, first in cross-country running while living in Bradford during World War Two. To escape to the country Peter joined the East Bradford Cycling Club in 1947, where his proficiency soon resulted in him being selected to ride for Great Britain in the 1950 World Championships in Belgium.

He was then called up for two years’ National Service in the Royal Artillery during which time he was again selected to represent Great Britain in the World Championships. In 1952 Peter won the British Road Racing Championship and the ‘King of the Mountains’ title in the Tour of Britain. He also came close to selection for the British team in that year’s Olympic Games in Helsinki.

After being demobbed Peter, together with his brother Gerald, established a property repair and development business which prospered so that by 1954 he was able to acquire a new Aston Martin DB2/4.

Initially seeing it as a desirable road car, the racer in Peter soon meant that he entered the car for a Bentley Drivers’ Club race meeting in April 1955 at Oulton Park. Third place in a scratch race and second in a handicap were the encouraging results. Peter continued to compete with the Aston in various events at club level through the year, but his thoughts were turning towards something more suitable for racing.

And so, for 1956 Peter acquired a new Formula 3 Cooper-Norton T42. Although there were no wins, he finished second at Oliver’s Mount and at Charterhall. Results improved the following year with a heat and final win at Mallory Park, and also a victory at Charterhall. By the late 1950s, 500 cc Formula Three was losing support but Peter retained the Cooper for another season during which he notched up wins at Mallory Park and Sherburn-in-Elmet.

It was also at this time that Peter took up rallying, initially with the DB2/4 and then a rather more suitable Sunbeam Rapier.

It was the beginning of a relationship with the Rootes Group which, over the next few years, brought Peter considerable success in some of the major rallies. I

n 1960, sharing a Rapier with Peter Harper, Peter finished third overall and first in class on the Acropolis Rally and first in class and fifth overall in the Touring Car division of the Alpine Rally. A year later the same pairing again won their class in Greece, being classified fifth overall in the Touring Division. Also in 1961, with Graham Robson as co-driver, Peter won the national Mini-Miglia Rally, Peter and Graham going on to finish fourth on the 1962 Monte Carlo Rally, and second in class.

The association with the Rootes Group was not confined to rallying. The two Peters – Procter and Harper – shared a Sunbeam Alpine in the Le Mans 24 Hours three years running from 1961, finishing 16th overall in the first year, second in their class but most rewardingly winning the Index of Thermal Efficiency which paid prize money matching that on offer to the overall winner of the race, the organisers having anticipated that a French car would take the honours!

The following year the two Peters finished 15th overall and third in class. The Sunbeam Alpine connection led to Peter sharing a Sunbeam Tiger Le Mans Coupe with Jimmy Blumer in the 1964 Le Mans 24 Hours but their race ended with a spectacular engine failure.

Peter’s last success with the F3 Cooper came in 1959 with a third place at Rufforth, his local circuit, before he took delivery of a new Formula Junior Lotus Type 18.

A win first time out at Rufforth in a Formula Junior race, and second place to Greg Wood’s Cooper Monaco in a formule libre race, were an encouraging start, followed by a first place at Mallory Park. In the two FJ races supporting the Oulton Park Gold Cup Peter ran fourth behind the Team Lotus 18s of Jim Clark, Trevor Taylor and Peter Arundell only to spin off  a couple of laps before the end of the second leg. Peter continued with the 18 into 1961 even though the state-of-the-art FJ Lotus was now the Type 20.

Racing only in the British Isles, Peter enjoyed considerable success with his obsolete car winning at Rufforth, Charterhall, Linton-on-Ouse and Aintree and finishing second at the Phoenix Park and Dunboyne road circuits. Before the year was out, Peter had been offered the chance to drive a works-run Alexis Mk 3 with which he won at Aintree and Rufforth with seconds at Oulton Park and Silverstone.

Such were his performances in the Type 18 that it was not only Alexis which was keen to have Peter as its driver. Colin Chapman offered a deal for 1962 with Team Lotus. The original proposal not being appealing enough, by the time Colin Chapman had had second thoughts and offered Peter what he wanted, the latter had accepted an offer from Graham Warner to drive a works-entered Gemini Mk 4.

A man of his word, Peter felt obliged to reject the Lotus offer and instead stick with the troublesome Gemini to which he had committed himself. The only rays of single-seater sunshine in 1962 were the chance to drive one of Ken Tyrrell’s Cooper T59s at Dunboyne where he won and at Zandvoort where he finished fourth. The Gemini could manage no better than ninth at Brands Hatch in one of the only two races which it finished all year.

The Tyrrell opportunity became a full season with Uncle Ken’s team for 1963, the last year of Formula Junior. Disappointingly, the promised new version of the BMC engine never materialised with the result that Peter and his teammate Timmy Mayer had to cope as best they could with less power than the mainly Ford-powered opposition. At Monaco Peter finished third in his heat and fourth in the final of the Prix Junior, and also managed a third place at Denmark’s tiny Roskilde Ring while fourth place at Phoenix Park and fifth at Easter Goodwood were the only other notable results.

Mid-season Ken Tyrrell asked Peter whether he would be interested in driving a Formula 1 Cooper, an offer which Peter, after a good deal of thought, politely declined since he had a family and a thriving business to care for. Peter had no regrets about his decision although there cannot be many drivers who have turned down an offer of a place in a Formula 1 team for no financial contribution. For the end of the year races, Peter was released to join Ron Harris Team Lotus, finishing second in his heat and fourth in the final at Albi and finishing fourth at Innsbruck in a Lotus Type 27 in the last ever period Formula Junior race in Europe.

For 1964 Peter continued with Ron Harris Team Lotus in the new 1-litre Formula 2, running in the European Championship with Formula 1 World Champion Jim Clark as his occasional team mate, driving the Lotus Type 32 evolution of the Formula Junior Type 27. Although Peter did not win a race, he put in some impressive performances against the F1 drivers who contested F2 at the time, finishing second on aggregate at the Aspern airfield circuit near Vienna and being similarly placed at the thoroughly dangerous AVUS track near Berlin.

Principal highlight of the year, however, was victory in the Touring Car category of the Tour de France in an Alan Mann Ford Mustang, sharing driving duties with Andrew Cowan who drove the rally-type stages while Peter concentrated on the tarmac sections. Peter also shared an Alan Mann Lotus Cortina to win the Brands Hatch 6 Hours with John Whitmore.

Peter continued to drive for Alan Mann’s team in 1965, securing good results with a Lotus Cortina in the European Touring Car Championship and generally finishing in the top three.

For 1966 he signed up with Broadspeed as team mate to John Fitzpatrick in the British Saloon Car Championship, driving a Ford Anglia in the 1000 cc class. At Goodwood on Easter Monday, early in the race Peter’s car was hit in the rear and rolled over violently, immediately catching fire with Peter trapped inside. Somehow, he found the strength to burst through the melted plastic side window of the Anglia but not before he had sustained burns to two thirds of his body. After many months at the Queen Victoria Hospital at East Grinstead, renowned for its treatment under Sir Archibald McIndoe of seriously burned RAF aircrew, Peter was able to return to a more or less normal life but apart from a few celebrity races, he never raced again.

Peter never lost his enthusiasm for motor sport. With his wife Shirley he was a regular visitor to Silverstone, showing a keen and very well-informed interest both in the affairs of the BRDC and in the wider world of motor racing. As Regional Co-ordinator for the Northeast he organised annual dinners which attracted Members from around the country because they were so enjoyable and convivial.

Peter cared. He cared about his wonderful wife Shirley and their four sons and he also cared about the BRDC and its Members. As a long-serving and involved Regional Co-ordinator, his views, when sought by members of the Board, were heeded. He was truly an exceptional, and very brave, man who will be very much missed. The BRDC offers its deepest condolences to Shirley, their sons Derek, Paul, Gary, Andrew and Stuart, and their families.

DCN

#9 MCS

MCS

• 4,726 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 18:18

An extraordinary man.  Thanks for posting this, Doug.  I assume it's the usual erudite work of Ian Titchmarsh.

Irrespective, God Rest Peter - what you achieved must have made your family and friends so incredibly proud of you.

#10 Adrian Beese

Adrian Beese

• 57 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 18:55

Fantastic,what a talent, could have been a Vic Elford of his time and sounds like a courageous and likable man.

#11 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,113 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 21:41

Peter’s race record at all levels speaks for its self, and I  can confirm his likability and affability.I have told this tale previously, but it seems pertinent again.

My Grammar School in Yorkshire, in the town known as The Gateway to the Dales, was on the road leading over the celebrated Moors, and my pal and I would walk home  up towards the Moors then cut down through past very nice new houses, then walk home. It was in February or March, probably the latter, 1963, when passing these houses  we came across what was clearly a works Ford Falcon in full rally spec. I remember it was white with a dark blue flash down the sides, and the number ZE 1048 springs to mind, but possibly wrong as they were all in a series ZE 1047 to 56.

We duly gawped and ooh aahed  at the car, then heard a voice  asking us if we knew what it was. Being one who read The Autocar and Autosport cover to cover each week, plus Motor Sport ( which I might have mentioned previously…..) I could give him chapter and proverbial verse but mentioned I did not recall him in the team cars. 
He explained he was visiting his brother and had been allocated the car by Ford as a runabout. He had used the car as a pace car, weather reporter, ice condition  checker ,  chaser etc, on the Monte earlier as part of the Ford support operation. The conversation turned to the car being very powerful and fast for such an event,  the outcome being the offer of a ride up over the Moor road for a few miles and back. Peter gave it some “welly” on the uphill straight part,  sheer bliss. I  never asked if my pal was comfortable in the back on the two spare wheels….

For a 15 year old enthusiast it was  Christmas come early, and then some. Such a kind gesture toward a couple of the great unwashed.

Fast forward to a Coys Historic in  the early 1990s when I saw Peter , sadly so easily identifiable, walking across the outlying Paddock area. So, still with as much front as Blackpool, I approached him and regaled him with the  tale, again offering my thanks. 
Exuding , to me, now as then,  a level of affability and kindness seldom encountered, he said he recalled the adventure and smiled wryly. We had a genial conversation for a few minutes then I thanked him and left him to go about his business. He must have had a good memory to recall an incident with a couple of car mad oiks all those years ago. It would have been all too easy to say he did not recall it. To me it was a gesture of pure kindness and mirrors much of what is said about him in other tributes. It is that rare sort of style towards enthusiasts which I have encountered when talking to various US Indycar and Stock  Car drivers of yesteryear at Goodwood Festivals and  also with many a VSCC owner/driver. No wonder he was so highly regarded.

The two meetings have remained as highlights at the forefront of my memories of pleasures following our Sport for a few years short of 70 years.

To Peter’s family and friends I offer my condolences. May he Rest in Peace.

Roger Lund.

Edited by bradbury west, 21 August 2024 - 06:24.

#12 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,524 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 02:46

I never heard of Peter, but Thank You Doug for the wonderful tribute.

#13 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,638 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 04:47

Ian Titchmarsh's tribute, in fact, on behalf of the BRDC for which organisation he too does so much.

DCN

#14 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,060 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 11:44

As I've written before, I remember hearing Clive Harrington tell about the restoration of the Peter Harper/Peter Proctor 1961 Le Mans Harrington Sunbeam Alpine. Restored to original condition, it was inspected by one of the Peters (Proctor I think, as Harper died in 2003) who told the proud owner that there was an important item missing.
Suitably humbled, he asked what was missing to be told it was the ashtray which had been essential as both Peters smoked . . . [presumably during the race].

#15 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,714 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 16:05

I never heard of Peter, but Thank You Doug for the wonderful tribute.

I had heard his name, but I knew little of him including the awful fire that he experienced. I didn't realize a driver from that era survived such horrific injuries. Thank you all for the information and remembrances of what truly must have been a remarkable man. Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Edited by B Squared, 21 August 2024 - 16:05.

#16 WonderWoman61

WonderWoman61

• 1,928 posts

Posted 28 August 2024 - 07:13

Rest in Peace Peter Procter.

#17 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,277 posts

Posted 28 August 2024 - 09:12

I first became aware of Peter Proctor because of his advertising endorsement of (Les Leston?) racewear in, I think, Motor Racing magazine - that was fairly shocking for this young lad to see. It was only later, possibly via TNF, that I learned of his impressive record in the sport. He gets a mention, as does that particular press ad, in the ‘safety’ feature of the very good Silverstone Museum.

Given the fate that life handed him, what a remarkable, and admirable, man.

#18 pete53

pete53

• 734 posts

Posted 29 August 2024 - 15:30

I remember doing my paper-round the day after his Goodwood accident and being shocked to see some of the lurid photos of Peter's accident that appeared in several of the dailies.  Of course back then motor racing usually only got any exposure in the national press if there was an accident to report on, and true to form they obliged. 

Although the accident marked the end of his racing career, did he not compete once or twice at the Goodwood Revival a number of years back? I may be wrong but something tells me I saw him drive there.

#19 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,745 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 19:06

(posted on behalf of Tampaguy; the following words are his)

This photo shows Peter as a member of the 1962 Sebring Sunbeam Alpine team. My close friend Joe Sheppard drove the #43 car with Tom Payne. Peter is in the photo but not sure which one he is in the photo. Joe is second from right, Ken Miles in Sunglasses.

IMG-4018.jpg

Advertisement

#20 WINO

WINO

• 689 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 19:52

I think that is Miles' co-driver Lew Spencer in the middle, in the white racing suit. In addition to Peter Proctor, that leaves the remaining team members to be identified: Peter Harper [Proctor's co-driver], Tom Payne [Sheppard's co-driver], and co-drivers Freddie Barrette and Filippo Theodoli. 

Edited by WINO, 31 August 2024 - 19:53.

#21 Collombin

Collombin

• 9,198 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 19:59

Looks like Procter is second from left.

#22 WINO

WINO

• 689 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 20:03

And it looks like Theodoli, wearing expensive Italian loafers, on the right. And a smiling Tom Payne next to Lew Spencer.

So... is it Procter or Proctor [as spelled in the often-misquoting Sebring program]?

Edited by WINO, 31 August 2024 - 20:45.

#23 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,236 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 21:22

And it looks like Theodoli, wearing expensive Italian loafers, on the right. And a smiling Tom Payne next to Lew Spencer.

So... is it Procter or Proctor [as spelled in the often-misquoting Sebring program]?

Procter.

#24 WINO

WINO

• 689 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 21:31

Thanks, Richard. Settled once and for all. Darn the ARCF officials.

#25 9203RW

9203RW

• 55 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 16:55

(posted on behalf of Tampaguy; the following words are his)

This photo shows Peter as a member of the 1962 Sebring Sunbeam Alpine team. My close friend Joe Sheppard drove the #43 car with Tom Payne. Peter is in the photo but not sure which one he is in the photo. Joe is second from right, Ken Miles in Sunglasses.

IMG-4018.jpg

Norman Garrard, Rootes competition department manager on the left.  Then Peter Procter, Peter Harper, Ken Miles, Lew Spencer, Tom Payne, not sure about the next two, then Joe Sheppard and Filippo Theodoli on the extreme right.  The other Sunbeam driver at Sebring in 1962 was Freddie Barrette, sharing with Theodoli in the NART badged Harrington Alpine (though it was entered by Rootes Motors Inc), so I guess he is one of the two I cannot identify.

#26 WINO

WINO

• 689 posts

Posted 01 September 2024 - 22:21

Between the two unknowns, the one on the right seems to have what looks a useable driver's outfit. Freddie Barrette?

#27 tampaguy

tampaguy

• 142 posts

Posted 02 September 2024 - 16:27

Thanks everyone for your input on this photo. The #43 car was restored and brought back to Sebring for a vintage gathering. Afterwards the present owner brought the car to Tampa so Joe could be reunited with her. After Joe passed he gave me the book detailing its restoration. Appreciate the help in identifying the people who competed on the Roots team…Jack 

#28 tampaguy

tampaguy

• 142 posts

Posted 02 September 2024 - 16:28

Credit Jack Sheppard Sr for the marketing of Sheppards Imports and his son Joe up on the pit wall.