Photo

Silverstone Festival

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 584 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 10:33

For any TNFers visiting the Silverstone Festival this weekend, along with Evro Publishing stablemates Richard Jenkins and Crispian Besley I will be knocking around the Chaters stand (11A in the Shopping Village) at lunchtime on Sunday 25th if you fancy dropping by to say hello. Crispian will be racing too, so we can cheer on his exploits ...

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,752 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 10:42

Unfortunately I’m only there on Saturday. It would have been good to meet you all.

#3 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 584 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 10:49

Unfortunately I’m only there on Saturday. It would have been good to meet you all.

Maybe at one of the other Historic events, Tim. I owe you a coffee (or two!) at least.

#4 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,283 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 17:53

I'll look out for you - thanks.
I usually cannot resist a gander around Chater's stall anyway!

(I used to spend hours in the old shop in Isleworth, years ago...)

#5 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,741 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 20:46

Commedy of errors for me, when I booked my ticket I could have sworn I was looking at the usual last weekend of July date, then when that date was approaching I realised I had not recieved any tickets was hoping to celebrate the MX-5's 35th anniversary with 200 other MX-5's doing a lap of honour. Then a trackday I was looking forward to doing got put back a week so now I am double booked. The trackday wins as the lap of honour is scheduled to take nearly two hours from assembley to completion time. Hope you all have fun  :wave:

#6 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 584 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 08:10

Commedy of errors for me, when I booked my ticket I could have sworn I was looking at the usual last weekend of July date, then when that date was approaching I realised I had not recieved any tickets was hoping to celebrate the MX-5's 35th anniversary with 200 other MX-5's doing a lap of honour. Then a trackday I was looking forward to doing got put back a week so now I am double booked. The trackday wins as the lap of honour is scheduled to take nearly two hours from assembley to completion time. Hope you all have fun  :wave:

I reckon I could walk the lap twice in two hours!

#7 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,741 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 09:28

That would not be at all difficult  :wave:

#8 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,559 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 10:00

On the track, perhaps. Around the enclosures? I think you'd be jogging at the end...

#9 68targa

68targa

• 1,228 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 07:52

For those unable to attend there is a live feed here

https://www.youtube....ive/7WbJdXuwJig

#10 FastReader

FastReader

• 346 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 11:31

I won't be going this year but will watch some of it on youtube with the sound turned off as they have Martin Haven commentating again.

#11 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 978 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 20:48

Went today and enjoyed it muchly, despite a late entry while we waited for things to be tied down in the wind. Beats doing a Gorden Kaye I guess.

Edited by sabrejet, 23 August 2024 - 20:48.

#12 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,734 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 08:47

Watched yesterday; now watching replays as teh rain has returned with a vengence.

#13 FastReader

FastReader

• 346 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 10:14

Today is the day I would've chosen to be at Silverstone (mainly to watch the Ferrari 512M's in the Masters Sports Car Legends race), but looking at the weather I'm really glad that I decided to give it a miss this year.

#14 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 978 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 13:22

I understand the need for turning off the commentary. Within 5 minutes today we had the DFV-era F1 cars described as "the most powerful cars on the grid this weekend" (*sigh*) and then that they all had "air start" despite concurrently watching countless cars being brought to life with battery-powered shaft starters.

Don't get me started on who the hell Raul "Bo-eezel" is.

Edited by sabrejet, 24 August 2024 - 13:24.

#15 john aston

john aston

• 2,783 posts

Posted 26 August 2024 - 06:31

Well, I managed to overcome the trauma of hearing a McLaren M19 described as a Yardley BRM  and had an excellent weekend. Highlight was the two howling Ferrari 512s racing in the late evening sunshine , manic FJunior races, gorgeous F2 cars  and  spending all day  Friday in the two paddocks . And no issue whatsoever going wherever I wanted . Good to see various TNF reprobates there too,  

#16 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,283 posts

Posted 26 August 2024 - 08:10

It was a marvellous event, as usual. Very wet early on Saturday, obviously, which disrupted proceedings but altogether a good weekend away.
It's far from my favourite place to watch racing, but this is more than made up for by truly enormous grids of lovely cars, access to pretty much everything and some really fine drives to witness. (And for me, lucky I know, seeing a few friends race too).

The non-racing 'festival' content has grown a bit - and most of it doesn't interest me so much - but if that's what it takes to make such a huge event viable, I'll take it. I had a few minor grumbles about some details, but they are trivial in the scheme of things and did not spoil my overall enjoyment.

#17 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 978 posts

Posted 26 August 2024 - 12:32

The non-racing 'festival' content has grown a bit - and most of it doesn't interest me so much - but if that's what it takes to make such a huge event viable, I'll take it. I had a few minor grumbles about some details, but they are trivial in the scheme of things and did not spoil my overall enjoyment.

Fully agree: they've managed to combine the two without either becoming obtrusive to the other. I also wanted to say that the staff were generally very "un-Silverstone", being cheerful, helpful and just generally nice people. Especially the folks marshalling crowds at the bus stops: patience of saints.

I was twice however told to leave the pit garages since there was "no public access". It didn't deter me, and after checking with a more clued-up looking person was relieved to confirm that the two other individuals had been talking out of their hat. Probably still in "F1" mode I guess.

#18 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,855 posts

Posted 27 August 2024 - 20:06

I also was there, with the lovely advantage of being there as a "crew" member for a young relative of mine who was taking part in the 67/85 F1 and Endurance events. Truly amazed at the number and variety of racing cars on attendance ( and "supercars" of all sorts in the parking lots ....) . The only TNF member I met and had a chat with was our former host Stuart Dent ( "Twin Window" ) who was there for a  possible Tommy Byrne film project. I had a marvelous time and am forced to admit, as much as it pains me, that you brits are still way ahead of the rest of the world for organizing this type of events.

I only had the best experience with the staff at all levels that I encountered, all without exceptions pleasant, polite and cheerful. One anecdote that I wish to share : when we arrived on the thursday afternoon, we were at the main entrance but since "our" team had already collected the passes we couldn't get in and had to eventually have someone from the team bring them back to us from the "international paddock". Anyway, while we were waiting in some form of distress a gentleman who was pacing along near the gate enquired whether we needed help, he was "waiting for someone" but was most gracious in suggesting solutions for our problem . Later that day, we bumped into him a few times in various places on the circuit, each time a wave, a smile, a "is everything going well" , etc .... the next day I was paging through the event program, and I spot a picture at the bottom of the "welcome" editorial .... but wait, this is "our" man !!!  Nick Wigley, Event Director ..... Sir, your consideration towards a couple of anonymous, foreign competitors, is to be commended :up: