Photo

Mid 1980s Novice Racing classes and regulations?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 awareing138

awareing138

• 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 11:18

Any old racers out there who can recall the regulations around novice racers starting down a racing career?

I am a published author working on a new book that is set around the amateur racing scene of the mid-1980s. Can anybody recall (or have documentation) that stipulates the different motorcycle classes and the requirements for a novice to get the racing license and ultimately loose the orange dayglo vest I seem to recall that was mandatory for the first few races?

Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisement

#2 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,726 posts

Posted 23 August 2024 - 20:25

Interesting subject, here goes...

as a sometime club racer it took me a while to lose my wally bib, working overseas/offshore etc.

If I remember correctly you needed 10 signatures from 4 different circuits to lose the bib. Sometimes if you did a 2 day meeting at the same circuit that qualified for 2 signatures. If you weren't lapped too many times there wasn't much of a problem getting your ticket signed, a bit of begging, grovelling and excuses for a dismal performance usually did the trick.

For the national licence I think it was 10 finishes in the top 50% at 4 different circuits.

I've probably got some of this wrong so I'll stand in the corner and wait to be corrected.

Regards.

Mick C.

#3 tonyed

tonyed

• 986 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 11:51

By the mid 80's I'd retired from racing, I did some in the mid 90s but I don't remember having to wear a bib in the 90s, although I was on a restricted license as I'd let my international license lapse for too many years.

When I started in the 60s requirements were quite minimal. Some riders in the 50s, there first ride was the MGP. 

I do think that todays restrictions, training etc is a tad OTT. Then it's all H&S bollox these days. Most injuries in my day were due to very poor track safety, like Armco barrier, not inept riding. 

So a an answer to the original question, no help, but would be interested in finding more info.  

#4 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,726 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 16:42

Tony I'm pretty sure that if you don't renew your licence for X number of years you get downgraded to the next level down i.e. you would probably have gone down to national level.

I know that from experience, I lost my hard earned national licence due to working overseas and not renewing for a few years, downgraded to clubman.

There are now 2 grades of novice:

Novice  (no road bike licence)

Intermediate Novice (still with the bib but having a road bike licence)

Clubman, National and International remain the same status as before.

Edited by exclubracer, 24 August 2024 - 16:45.

#5 Robin127

Robin127

• 509 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 21:23

Interesting subject, here goes...

as a sometime club racer it took me a while to lose my wally bib, working overseas/offshore etc.

If I remember correctly you needed 10 signatures from 4 different circuits to lose the bib. Sometimes if you did a 2 day meeting at the same circuit that qualified for 2 signatures. If you weren't lapped too many times there wasn't much of a problem getting your ticket signed, a bit of begging, grovelling and excuses for a dismal performance usually did the trick.

For the national licence I think it was 10 finishes in the top 50% at 4 different circuits.

I've probably got some of this wrong so I'll stand in the corner and wait to be corrected.

Regards.

Mick C.

From what I remember as a Clerk of the Course this is correct.

#6 awareing138

awareing138

• 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 21:44

Brill info on the Wally BIB's - just what I was looking for. Does anybody remember the classes of bikes? 250 2-strokes? Limited by manufacturers etc? 

#7 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,726 posts

Posted 25 August 2024 - 16:07

Brill info on the Wally BIB's - just what I was looking for. Does anybody remember the classes of bikes? 250 2-strokes? Limited by manufacturers etc? 

I don't remember any capacity limits for novices, I raced 250/350/400 Yamahas.

I remember a novice rider with the bib on riding a brand new Honda RC30 in the late 80s, Scott Taylor from Blackpool, he must have been well heeled.

#8 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,726 posts

Posted 27 August 2024 - 18:26

Just to add to this, it may be your best move to obtain an ACU handbook which would provide detailed info about regs for novices and allowed race classes for all disciplines rather than relying on the musings of old farts like me. :D  The handbook is provided FOC whenever a licence is issued.

If you contact the ACU and explain your problem they may well bung you a copy.