• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,985 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:07

@F1

BREAKING: Andrea Kimi Antonelli to race for Mercedes from 2025!

#F1

Advertisement

#2 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,849 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:08

The signs were there

IMG-9562.jpg

#3 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 40,710 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:08

This is good news for Russell, if the car is up there he will likely have the team to himself.

#4 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,849 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:10

So many storylines next year in the last season before new regs - shaping up to be a great year.

Hope he does well, seems a decent young lad, and the Italians could do with a top line driver in the mix…. And then imagine when he joins Ferrari later in his career

#5 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 4,442 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:10

Surely it must be a 3 year deal?

#6 H0R

H0R

• 4,390 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:11

Not exactly a surprise.

#7 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,849 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:12

With about 10 years of options on mercs side

#8 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,856 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:14

Don't they already have five more years of entitlement to his services? Not that there wouldn't be a separate F1 deal but I think he is locked up for a while anyway.

Anyway, an interesting development for next year and something to keep an eye on. 

Edited by garoidb, 31 August 2024 - 07:14.

#9 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,849 posts

Press release doesn’t mention 2026… leaving the bed warm for Max

#10 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,985 posts

Is there a consensus on what people are going to be calling him because I’m minded to call him Kimi and reckon it’s going to be clear from context which Kimi I’m talking about. Kimi is such a pleasing name to write and say aloud so I’m not inclined to let a fresh chance to use it vanish into the long grass.

#11 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,849 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:15

Is there a consensus on what people are going to be calling him because I’m minded to call him Kimi and reckon it’s going to be clear from context which Kimi I’m talking about. Kimi is such a pleasing name to write and say aloud so I’m not inclined to let a fresh chance to use it vanish into the long grass.

I’m going to go with Curly Whirly after yesterday

Edited by FirstnameLastname, 31 August 2024 - 07:15.

#12 ANF

ANF

• 32,011 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:15

George x Kimi: 2025 Driver Line-up Announced

New year. New line-up. New chapter.

Introducing to the stage… Andrea Kimi Antonelli and George Russell.

Today, the team is announcing its 2025 driver line-up, with 18-year-old Italian Kimi joining multiple Grand Prix-winner George behind the wheel for next season.

Kimi will make the step up from F2 and graduate from the team’s junior programme, just like a certain George Russell, who made the jump up to F1 in 2019 after a superb two-year junior spell with us.

Speaking on the announcement, Toto said: “Our 2025 driver line-up combines experience, talent, youth and out-and-out raw speed.

“We are excited about what George and Kimi bring to the team both as individual drivers, but also as a partnership.

“Our new line-up is perfect to open the next chapter in our story. It is also a testament to the strength of our junior programme and our belief in home-grown talent.

“George has proved that he is one of the very best drivers in the world. He is not only fast, consistent, and determined, but has also developed into a strong leader within the team.

“Kimi has consistently shown the talent and speed needed to compete at the very top of our sport. We know it will be another big step up, but he has impressed us in his F1 testing this year and we will be supporting him every step of the way in the learning process.

“In George, he has an experienced team-mate from which he can learn and hone his craft. I am confident that both will contribute greatly as we continue to build momentum and fight at the front of the field.”
George ‘excited’ to partner with talented Kimi

George joined the team’s junior programme in 2017 and his rapid rise through the single-seater ranks saw him claim the GP3 and F2 championships in his first season.

After three years starring at Williams – including an impressive cameo for Mercedes at Bahrain in 2020 – he was promoted to partner Lewis in 2022, with his maiden F1 victory in coming in the same year at the São Paulo Grand Prix.

He added: “I’m really excited to be partnering with Kimi for 2025. His record in junior formula has been formidable and his promotion is truly deserved.

“He’s a fantastic young talent and a fellow graduate of our junior programme. I look forward to using the experience I’ve gained from my own journey to provide guidance to Kimi as he makes the step up to F1.

“I know how much of a support Lewis was for me throughout my time as a junior driver and since I’ve been his team-mate. I’ve learned so much from him and I hope to play a similar role for Kimi.

“As a team, we’re building a lot of positive momentum heading into next year. We continue to make progress on track and are working hard to put all the pieces in place to fight for world championships.

“It is a really exciting journey we are on; I am confident Kimi and I can continue to push the team forward and help deliver on the promise we are showing.”

Kimi’s meteoric rise through the lower ranks of motorsport saw him join the team’s junior programme as a 12-year-old in 2019.

After great success in karting, including FIA Karting European Championship and WSK Euro series titles, he graduated to single-seaters – where he stormed to both the ADAC and Italian Formula 4 titles in 2022, before claiming the 2023 Formula Regional European Championship.

The Italian made the step up to FIA Formula 2 for 2024 and has handled it superbly. He’s claimed two victories so far this season, including an impressive Feature Race in Budapest.

“It is an amazing feeling to be announced as a Mercedes works driver alongside George for 2025,” said Kimi.

“Reaching F1 is a dream I’ve had since I was a small boy; I want to thank the team for the support they’ve given me in my career so far and the faith they’ve shown in me. I am still learning a lot, but I feel ready for the opportunity.

“I will be focused on getting better and delivering the best possible results for the team.

“I’m also really excited to become George’s team-mate. He came through the team’s junior programme just like myself and is someone I have a huge amount of respect for.

“He is super-fast, a multiple Grand Prix winner, and has already helped me improve as a driver. I am looking forward to learning from him and working together to deliver on track.”

Markus Schäfer, Non-Executive Chairman & Mercedes-Benz AG CTO, added: “It is an exciting time for the team as we unveil our driver line-up for 2025. We open the next chapter in our story next year and have a fantastic partnership with which to do so.

“George, as a multiple Grand Prix winner, has developed into a top-tier driver. It has been a pleasure to see him come through the ranks of the team’s junior programme, establish himself in F1 over the past few years, and become a leader within the team.

“Kimi, just like George and Lewis, is one of our home-grown talents with a very promising future. His record at junior level is incredibly impressive and his raw speed is clear to see. I can’t wait to see him in a race seat next year and watch his supreme talent shine in a Mercedes F1 car.”

https://www.mercedes...ne-up-announced

#13 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 33,031 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:16

The 2025 grid is a real breath of fresh air. At least three rookies, one of which in what will likely be a top car. Plus Hamilton at Ferrari. Endless stories to follow.

#14 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,985 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:17

I’m going to go with Curly Whirly after yesterday

​No driver nicknames here, friend, they lower the tone!
Besides, if we did allow them he would very obviously be Lil’ Kimi but we don’t so he won’t!

#15 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 40,710 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:18

Apparently he wants kimi but I'm sorry it's asinine. Should just be antonelli, be your own man.

#16 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,856 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:24

Apparently he wants kimi but I'm sorry it's asinine. Should just be antonelli, be your own man.

When writing about less immediate events like overall reputation, we may need to start using the full Kimi Raikkonen and Kimi Antonelli. Where the context of this weekend's race or this year's championship would be clear, Kimi will probably be specific enough as long as there aren't any more coming along.

#17 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,985 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:25

Via F1 account twitter

0TECiyy.jpg

#18 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,985 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:26

These photos always blow my mind, they are very All About Eve.

#19 Anja

Anja

• 10,929 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:26

Interesting that they only mention 2025. You'd assume Mercedes has their "next Verstappen" on a long term contract. 

Advertisement

#20 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,856 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:27

Yes, if Max becomes available you would think the electric blanket will be switched on. It could be Russell who loses out, though. Time will tell. 

This does mean Max isn't coming for 2025 though. 

#21 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 12,356 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:31

Good stuff. We're in for a fun year next year, I think!

#22 messy

messy

• 7,831 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:32

Much as I expect him to be good, I feel this is a risk because so far I haven’t seen anything categorical in F2 or F1 that confirms that he’s on the Leclerc or Russell level. But I think Mercedes clearly know best - they have the data and the context behind everything he’s done. This has been coming for a long time and for a team as successful as Mercedes to put a teenage rookie straight into their car says a lot in terms of how much faith they’ve got in his ability. I’m looking forward to seeing it, it’ll be an interesting story in the season.

#23 keshav

keshav

• 2,985 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:33

Mercedes loved his performance yesterday.

#24 jonklug

jonklug

• 1,938 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:35

Happy for the kid. I still think it's a bit rushed but then again I had the exact same opinion when RedBull announced Verstappen would race for Torro Rosso.

Good luck to him!

#25 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,392 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:36

Russell is out of contract at the end of next year, Antonelli has a multi year contract with Mercedes.

#26 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,585 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:41

So Russell out and Max in after next year?

#27 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,849 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:49

Russell is out of contract at the end of next year, Antonelli has a multi year contract with Mercedes.

Multi year contracts mean nothing

Especially if he turns out to be the next Frentzen or Jan Magnussen

#28 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,547 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:50

Can't think of him as Kimi. That will always be Raikkonen to me.

#29 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,849 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:51

​No driver nicknames here, friend, they lower the tone!
Besides, if we did allow them he would very obviously be Lil’ Kimi but we don’t so he won’t!

Aww, I was only joking!

#30 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,392 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:54

Multi year contracts mean nothing

Especially if he turns out to be the next Frentzen or Jan Magnussen

Yes, in the unlikely scenario he flops he can be pushed out.

However I've seen him wheel an F4 and this years' Prema shitbox so I am certain that's almost impossible, and that's gonna put Russell in a akward place with Toto still pushing for Verstappen.

#31 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 6,334 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:55

I think it's more that he prefers Kimi as a first name compared to his first written name being Andrea then Kimi (i.e just ignore the Andrea in his name and call him Kimi Antonelli, instead of Andrea Antonelli)

Antonelli is still his surname either way.

#32 baddog

baddog

• 30,086 posts

Fresh face is good. Hell of a level to drop in at though, I hope he doesnt get burnt

#33 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,975 posts

Next year has the most interesting and intriguing grid change we’ve had in years, trying to think of others…

#34 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,801 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:03

Looking forward to it :up:

#35 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,856 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:04

If he has a career at the level of Raikkonen or above, he will become Kimi. It is much too early to say, though, but for now he is the active Kimi and the earlier one might need to be referred to as Kimi Raikkonen for a while. 

#36 Music Lover

Music Lover

• 1,123 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:04

Good, let’s enjoy a new driver on the grid.
I hope he is REALLY fast !!

#37 P123

P123

• 24,792 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:05

Kimi is Kimi, as in Raikkonen.  I think of him as Antonelli, or AKA.  Like JPM is JPM.... after he'd been shortened to plain ol' Juan Montoya whilst racing in the US, to then become Juan-Pablo Montoya once again when he returned to Europe.  :D

Glad Merc finally spat out their announcement..... though you'd think it would be in front of gathered media rather than an early morning press release.  I suspect they really wanted a pace setting FP time, and to launch it from there.  It will be interesting to see what AKA can deliver.  I've been a willing hype train passenger, but it's not been entirely on track all the way!

Also interesting to watch will be the dynamic at Merc next season.  George will be in a different roll.  I'm sure he can be team leader, but will AKA happily settle for that?  And the headlines and attention won't be when GR beats his teammate, as has been the case in recent seasons.  Instead it will all come to him when he's not quicker than his teammate. 

And then there is the spectre of Max hovering in the background, given that the announcement is specific to 2025, with the extra pressure and politics that may bring.  Not too dissimilar to when original Kimi and JPM were at McLaren, with Alonso signed up well in advance to fill one of the seats.

#38 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,978 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:07

Interesting

#39 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,547 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:08

If he has a career at the level of Raikkonen or above, he will become Kimi. It is much too early to say, though, but for now he is the active Kimi and the earlier one might need to be referred to as Kimi Raikkonen for a while. 

I'll probably use AK or AKA to refer to him in shorthand, if I'm not just using his surname.

Advertisement

#40 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,978 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:09

My father-in-law goes by his middle name too. His "real" first name would give him the same name as a famous 1960s singer, maybe that was a mortification too far.

#41 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,978 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:09

I'll give it 6 months  ;)

#42 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,547 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:10

I'll give it 6 months  ;)

No way. It's like how people tried to call Leclerc "Il Leone" and that will always be Nigel Mansell.

#43 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,856 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:11

I'll probably use AK or AKA to refer to him in shorthand, if I'm not just using his surname.

Did they give him the three letter acronym yet (HAM, ALO etc)? If that is AKA then it might stick. It might be ANT, though.

#44 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,547 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:13

Did they give him the three letter acronym yet (HAM, ALO etc)? If that is AKA then it might stick. It might be ANT, though.

I've never used the three letter abbreviations (they're not acronyms, nor are they even initialisms which people sometimes confuse for acronyms) in normal use on this forum.

Just like I'll never use the driver number to refer to him, only his car without him in it.

#45 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,978 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:14

No way. It's like how people tried to call Leclerc "Il Leone" and that will always be Nigel Mansell.

I wonder if people called Nigel Mansell "Il Leone" unironically

#46 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,856 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:15

I've never used the three letter abbreviations (they're not acronyms, nor are they even initialisms which people sometimes confuse for acronyms) in normal use on this forum.

Just like I'll never use the driver number to refer to him, only his car without him in it.

You just make up your own  :lol: . I'm just wondering what will stick. I am not dogmatic about it.

#47 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,623 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:15

Much as I expect him to be good, I feel this is a risk...

That's why I like it. I want my plumber to be a safe pair of hands, and my racing drivers to be exciting prospects.

#48 jals99

jals99

• 1,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:17

Kimi Raikkonen is the past, Kimi Antonelli is the future :wave:

#49 Deeq

Deeq

• 10,578 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:22

Wow, not completely expected but kuddos to the kid & Mercedes..
Russell will have a run for his money..or so i hoppe.

#50 WonderWoman61

WonderWoman61

• 1,928 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 08:22

No surprise there.