Photo

Goodwood Revival 2024

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,534 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 08:20

A friend has had to cancel his visit to the Revival. His tickets are available, Friday and Sunday plus Sunday roving grandstand. Price as paid, face value less GRRC discount. Will separate if necessary. 

Advertisement

#2 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 869 posts

Posted 04 September 2024 - 19:06

The National Motor Museum has a Sunbeam 1000HP themed stand at this year's Goodwood Revival that starts on Friday 6th September and members of the Beaulieu team will be on hand to answer questions and provide information on the restoration.   There is a range of merchandise, including exclusive T shirts and posters, that will be on sale in support of the restoration project.  The NMM's stand is number 244 in the "Over the Road" section.

Meanwhile, work on the Sunbeam's chassis and the rear mounted engine continues as highlighted in  the recent series from Scarf and Goggles on You Tube.

IMG-20240903-125703-430.jpg

IMG-20240903-124831-084.jpg

The museum's 350hp Sunbeam will also be present and will feature in a series of start-ups during the weekend

IMG-20240711-084259-153.jpg

Edited by Pullman99, 05 September 2024 - 07:52.

#3 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 386 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 12:08

Fordwater Trophy qualifying - a piece falls off a Lancia and rolls across the track. The Lancia retires. The commentators think it is "a gear", by which they mean a gear wheel. It seems that they have never seen a drive coupling.

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 12:33

It did manage to park itself very neatly on the grass though, having crossed the entire width of the track at an angle and avoided being hit by a couple of passing cars. Good work by the camera operator to pick it up, I thought!

#5 FastReader

FastReader

• 346 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 12:37

The weather looks pretty horrible today and doesn't look like it's going to improve much over the weekend. I'll be there tomorrow and Sunday with my brolly.

#6 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 978 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 13:08

It's forgivable that the commentators wouldn't necessarily recognize a rubber coupling. 

But massive congratulations to the organization for yet again putting on a great show. The camera work has been incredibly good in particular, making the most of what so far has been some amazing driving. Contrast this with the Laguna Seca historic coverage, which yearly looks like it's being filmed by someone outside the circuit. And commentated on by people who aren't watching the racing. 

I shall be at Revival on Sunday and I can't wait.

#7 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 386 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 13:20

Something dangling near the front wheel of a GT40. Graham Jones suggests it might be part of the exhaust system.

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,653 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 20:35

Yesterday afternoon we played the usual Revival Meeting opening cricket match, but in unusual style - due to our usually cooperative skies just for once raining pushrods upon the estate.

The Dook was typically decisive - "Right, we'll play in the House instead" - so we did.

In Goodwood House's entrance hall/foyer with priceless paintings by Van Dyke, Stubbs etc providing the spectating crowd, sculptures adjacent...etc etc.  We used a soft-foam ball and indoor rules applied, under-arm bowling, scoring shots on the floor, etc etc.

If I could only get Postimages.org to cooperate as it has so well for years (but refuses to do so right now), I'd post some pix of proceedings here.  Or would it bore you?

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 07 September 2024 - 09:42.

#9 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 978 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 20:44

No - do it! Sounds a hoot.

#10 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,874 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 21:07

As long as they didn't knock anything by Michael Turner off the wall then all's fine.......

#11 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,653 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 21:08

No Turners were harmed during this production.

temp-Image-BRU0-Vg.jpeg

Restorer Neil Twyman on strike - motor-cycle great Jeremy McWilliams break-dancing left, touring car star Rob Huff stunned at the sight right.  The strip could perhaps have done with rolling...

temp-Image-Bp44-Oa.jpeg

Looking at it another way - ever-faithful scorer Nigel Draffan foreground...

temp-Image-Yus-Ai-G.jpeg

Rob Huff - Neil Twyman - the great Nick Goozee, umpire, ex-Brabham, ex-Penske - Tiff Needell bowling - David Brabham leaning - Jeremy McWilliams behind the bat - here wielded by two and four-wheeled racer Keith Bush - strike a light was out of the question...

temp-Imagem-W54-Mt.jpeg

Wonderful George Stubbs Goodwood race course original at deep extra cover - so much at stake, the tension is palpable....

temp-Imaget-Gy8-Ac.jpeg

Wicket keeper's view.  Joe Twyman poised to bat - Richard Attwood painstakingly setting his field - great motor-cycle road racer and TT winner Michael Rutter hands on hips left.  Captivated spectators look on...

temp-Imagee-Lz3-Yj.jpeg

While, outside, the historic Goodwood cricket ground - where the rules of the game were first agreed in writing between team patrons (one being the then Duke of Richmond) on July 11, 1727 - slumbered undefiled, and cosily covered against the rain.

So who won?  Who cares.  'Twas fun - and tradition is a greater territory.

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 07 September 2024 - 10:02.

#12 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,874 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 21:24

Hmm, no problem making it to the crease (s) there I think !

Did you trust Mr Goozee to fully fill the kettle for the tea break ?

Edited by LittleChris, 06 September 2024 - 21:29.

#13 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,834 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 21:28

"If wet, in (church) hall."

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 21:44

There's a joke about bails of different colours there somewhere ...

#15 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,653 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 21:50

And PS:

Two wunderwagens parked on the carriage circle later yesterday.  I really think these are simply lovely.

temp-Image-R3a7a4.jpeg

temp-Imagerw-AQgb.jpeg

DCN

All Pix: GPL

Edited by Doug Nye, 06 September 2024 - 21:59.

#16 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,029 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 23:08

Those rules don't work for me (an off-spinner) at all. 

And those vans are indeed lovely. 

Thanks for sharing, Doug.

BRM

#17 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,858 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 02:37

The weather looks pretty horrible today and doesn't look like it's going to improve much over the weekend. I'll be there tomorrow and Sunday with my brolly.

From the streaming video I saw you might wanna take a boat big enough for 2 Minis, 2 D Types, 2 E Types, 2 Mustangs, ...   :cool:

#18 nicanary

nicanary

• 705 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 08:04

"If wet, in (church) hall."

I recall that phrase being used for an event featuring the Red Arrows.

#19 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,445 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 17:30

I know it's just me, but at what point in history did an Aston Martin DB4 start beatin E Types, Ferrari GTBs and Cobras? Not while I was watching in the 60s.

Advertisement

#20 FLB

FLB

• 32,694 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 17:42

I know it's just me, but at what point in history did an Aston Martin DB4 start beatin E Types, Ferrari GTBs and Cobras? Not while I was watching in the 60s.

In this particular case, though, I think this may have had something to do with a seven-time NASCAR Cup champion and a three-time Indy 500 winner both driving at their current level of 10/10ths. Or at least that what it looked like from the onboard  :love:

Edited by FLB, 07 September 2024 - 17:43.

#21 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,632 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 17:56

Amusing to hear Dario described as an amateur. Second Franchitti win of the day too.

#22 BRG

BRG

• 26,562 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 18:05

Yes, stretching the idea of Pro-Am a bit!  The rest of them hardly stood a chance, although a few, like Flash weren't giving up without a fight.

I thought Alice Powell did really well in the comm box.  Calm, articulate and reasonably well informed (of course not to TNF levels, but she is still only a gal and will learn in time).  I would rather have seen her on the track, but she is carving out a career in the media and good luck to her.  Not bad for someone who was making a living as a painter and decorator until W Series came along.

#23 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,834 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 19:27

I thought Alice Powell did really well in the comm box.  Calm, articulate and reasonably well informed (of course not to TNF levels, but she is still only a gal and will learn in time).  I would rather have seen her on the track, but she is carving out a career in the media and good luck to her.  Not bad for someone who was making a living as a painter and decorator until W Series came along.

Yes-ish.

I immediately admit I could never do live commentary - talking about what's happening in from of me without gabbling, sooner or later saying a Rude Word or just forgetting to say anything because what's going on demands my full attention. But I do wish she'd brush up on her knowledge of old cars, rather than camouflaging it with "The 61 car" (or whatever). Absolutely no proof but I suspect her interest and knowledge is more focussed on the drivers, being a pretty handy one herself.

#24 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 978 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 19:40

Yes-ish.

I immediately admit I could never do live commentary - talking about what's happening in from of me without gabbling, sooner or later saying a Rude Word or just forgetting to say anything because what's going on demands my full attention. But I do wish she'd brush up on her knowledge of old cars, rather than camouflaging it with "The 61 car" (or whatever). Absolutely no proof but I suspect her interest and knowledge is more focussed on the drivers, being a pretty handy one herself.

She wasn't the only one who couldn't recognize an Elva Courier or a Sadler. But her analysis of various incidents was of great value, and very perceptive. And she didn't once say Dario "Frankiddy" or Andy "Pree-oooo" as some did...

#25 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,632 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 20:58

She wasn't the only one who couldn't recognize an Elva Courier or a Sadler. But her analysis of various incidents was of great value, and very perceptive. And she didn't once say Dario "Frankiddy" or Andy "Pree-oooo" as some did...

Ben Edwards could do with being told how to pronounce Baja - as in Baja California - correctly as well. He got it wrong on Friday and again this morning.

There was also an unintentional moment of humour yesterday, while Alice was expounding on the name Elva coming from French 'elle va', at the precise moment when one was sliding off the circuit and getting beached in a gravel trap! Elle ne va pas, je crois ...

#26 70JesperOH

70JesperOH

• 151 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 07:01

Going through the classes, only the Earl of March Trophy for 500 cc F3 cars has a full entry of 30 cars. The Saint Mary's Trophy seems to be up to 30 cars by Sunday.

The Whitsun Trophy and the St. Mary's Trophy are my yearly highlights and delivered.

Jesper

Edited by 70JesperOH, 08 September 2024 - 07:07.

#27 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,734 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 07:53

I thought Alice Powell did really well in the comm box.  Calm, articulate and reasonably well informed (of course not to TNF levels, but she is still only a gal and will learn in time).

Yes-ish.

I immediately admit I could never do live commentary - talking about what's happening in from of me without gabbling, sooner or later saying a Rude Word or just forgetting to say anything because what's going on demands my full attention. But I do wish she'd brush up on her knowledge of old cars, rather than camouflaging it with "The 61 car" (or whatever). 

Ms Powell was poor on Friday and adequate yesterday. 6/10 could do better.

Harry Benjamin was useless both days. Far too many tangents and no where near accurate when it came to what the cars were. 2/10 just for turning up.

Bruce Jones was his usual enthusiastic self but was not as accurate in his identification of the cars and prone to waffle. 6/10 I expected better.

Ed Foster was very good, I wouldn't want to do that job! 8/10 

Ben Edwards was the best of the bunch. 9/10

In their defence they are the circuit commentators and consequently do not commentate exclusively on the LIVESTREAM. This causes a disconnect between what we see whilst watching from our armchairs and what they see looking out of their cosy commentary box. 

#28 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,632 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 08:46

Ben Edwards could do with being told how to pronounce Baja - as in Baja California - correctly as well. He got it wrong on Friday and again this morning.

Someone obviously had a word. He got it right today!

#29 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,445 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 09:00

Someone obviously had a word. He got it right today!

Ha Ha! - Old English for LOL...

#30 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,445 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 09:08

Really? Do you know your Braque from your Kandinsky; Your Yeats from your Auden? We can't all know everything and Powell wasn't born when the Courier was a thing. If we had experts on the period younger people would be complaining that we didn't need to know that the Elva used Alford & Alder front uprights and a rear axle from the BMC parts bin, nor that the "B" Series engine had two inlet ports and three exhaust; just tell us about the racing. As for Baha, so what, it's Mexican Spanish, not everyone knows that "J" generally pronounced as an "H" in Spanish, give 'em a break, they're not motor-racing historians.

Sorry, interrupted for potential buyers for my house.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 08 September 2024 - 10:07.

#31 70JesperOH

70JesperOH

• 151 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 09:42

I'm coming to the realization that the Goodwood Revival - and all other historic races - are like movies based on a true story; some viewers expect facts worthy of a well done documentary, while I, for one, can do with the entertainment, for as long as I know what's up and down.

Jesper

#32 68targa

68targa

• 1,228 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 09:52

I am just glad that I can watch the Revival on a live stream rather than nothing at all. Commentators do a difficult job, I know that I would not want to do it.  if a Cooper T51 is called a T53, well I can live with that.  I have watched some of the races with the sound off  and enjoyed it all the same.  It's pity the F3 500c race was disrupted, so good to see such a large and varied field. At least they could see through the spray  (just)

#33 FastReader

FastReader

• 346 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 09:57

From the streaming video I saw you might wanna take a boat big enough for 2 Minis, 2 D Types, 2 E Types, 2 Mustangs, ...   :cool:

Having endured the ground conditions yesterday and having struggled into and out of the car park quagmire, I took one look at the Sunday weather forecast and decided to stay at home today and watch the live stream instead. Having just watched the monsoon during the Earl of March Trophy, I'm glad I did.

As is now usual, the commentary yesterday was pretty poor with Harry Benjamin the worst offender. How I yearn for the days of Ian Titchmarsh.

Having said all that, I did enjoy the racing itself yesterday.

Edited by FastReader, 08 September 2024 - 10:08.

#34 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,834 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 10:12

Credit where it's due - commentary for the Richmond & Gordon race currently showing has come on by leaps and bounds. Alice has done her homework on car IDs and as before is also offering useful insights - now in danger of becoming my star commentator. Camera work's pretty good, too.

#35 nicanary

nicanary

• 705 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 10:32

I decided earlier this year to cancel my pre-booked hotel and not attend. Boy, was that a good decision. The racing has been excellent under the circumstances, but my various minor ailments would not have reacted well to that weather.

My theory is that next year cannot be worse, so I've worked out the probable dates and pre-booked accomodation. By doing so at an early stage, I got a place IN Chichester, so only 0.4 miles to the city centre. And at a very reasonable price, so no doubt the "hosts" will come to their senses and cancel my booking when they realise what they can screw out of someone else.

Meanwhile, good luck to all the dry-cleaners in the area, and I apologise for upsetting anyone with my criticism of the commentary on the live stream. We're all lucky to have it, it's "made" my weekend. It's the test match's loss.

#36 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 978 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 11:39

Having endured the ground conditions yesterday and having struggled into and out of the car park quagmire, I took one look at the Sunday weather forecast and decided to stay at home today and watch the live stream instead. Having just watched the monsoon during the Earl of March Trophy, I'm glad I did.

Same here: in years past I'd have pushed through and gone for it. But years of experience have shown that sometimes the sofa/coffee option is better. I'll still miss it so I'm watching live hill climb instead! (and I should be there too)

#37 nicanary

nicanary

• 705 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 14:35

I wonder if Tommy Entwhistle would believe his Griffith could win the "Tourist Trophy" !

#38 d j fox

d j fox

• 318 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 15:57

Question for those who were there or better informed. 

Roman Dumas amazing drive in the Ford Galaxie Saturday--was it the "genuine" ex Ford France '64 Tour Auto car? If so Henri Greder would have been proud!... or was it a replica?

Thanks 

#39 john aston

john aston

• 2,783 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 16:08

I see that the folk sneering at the commentary team on their free live stream have managed to find the fly but have mislaid the ointment. Again.  

Advertisement

#40 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 978 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 16:27

Really? Do you know your Braque from your Kandinsky; Your Yeats from your Auden? We can't all know everything and Powell wasn't born when the Courier was a thing. 

I was merely highlighting that seasoned commentators failed to recognize certain types, so Alice could hardly be criticised for same. You somehow turned my compliment into a criticism.

#41 BRG

BRG

• 26,562 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 18:42

One thing I like about Alice Powell is that she is making her way on her ability as a motor sports person, not by being just eye-candy like some of the female presenters.  

#42 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 386 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 19:07

I was distracted and missed the final event, Race 16 The Freddie March Memorial Trophy. The Live Stream has ended and I cannot find it. Is it still possible to watch the race?

Edited by P.Dron, 08 September 2024 - 19:08.

#43 68targa

68targa

• 1,228 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 19:16

It is still available on the Motor Sport site. It says Day 2 but will bring up today's racing including Race 16.

https://www.motorspo...al-live-stream/

About - 1.55 in

Edited by 68targa, 08 September 2024 - 19:18.

#44 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 386 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 20:16

It is still available on the Motor Sport site. It says Day 2 but will bring up today's racing including Race 16.

https://www.motorspo...al-live-stream/

About - 1.55 in

Thanks for that. Rather a good race and a good weekend of racing in varying conditions. I always feel relieved when the Revival and the Members' Meeting end without a big one.

#45 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,283 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 22:27

Same here: in years past I'd have pushed through and gone for it. But years of experience have shown that sometimes the sofa/coffee option is better. I'll still miss it so I'm watching live hill climb instead! (and I should be there too)

I have always maintained (and still do) that watching on tv or online is almost always a poor second best to being trackside - but sometimes it just isn't possible, or practical to be there for whatever reason and we're lucky these days there is so much motor sport online if one seeks it out (and often for free).

I'm guessing it was Prescott you were watching? I've just got back from that meeting - a great day out despite the rain the morning. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did! The quick single-seaters are stunningly fast these days, especially when you can stand so close to the course.

Edited by 2F-001, 08 September 2024 - 22:28.

#46 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 900 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 22:35

One thing I like about Alice Powell is that she is making her way on her ability as a motor sports person, not by being just eye-candy like some of the female presenters.  

Alice's delivery on comms is good. She has a measured tone and is animated without getting excitable and silly. The knowledge is all stuff that will come.

I was there one the Saturday and particularly enjoyed the Whitsun and Stirling Moss Memorial races. The Whitsun Trophy was much closer than it usually is, in the early stages anyway.

#47 Andrew Stevens

Andrew Stevens

• 122 posts

Posted 09 September 2024 - 07:30

After a long and rather muddy day yesterday (Sunday) as I write this, while the racing was generally enjoyable and competitive, I am questioning the timetable for the event now.  Why fill up the middle section of the day with an interesting but overlong D-Day tribute and an event for competitive parents and restorers and purveyors of J40 pedal cars and then leave the racing until late in the day, so that committed spectators will not leave until it's almost dark.

It's not a cheap event to attend (value is a different issue) and many of us have to go back to work on Monday and travel at least an hour to get to and from the event (mine is over 2 hours home). 

Perhaps the organisers could consider the format of the day so that the Sunday racing finishes at, say, 5pm or 5.30pm? It would be much more 'family friendly' in terms of people seeing all the racing and then heading home, rather than a good number of people leaving mid afternoon and missing a good percentage of the racing?  

#48 RCH

RCH

• 1,155 posts

Posted 09 September 2024 - 10:32

Comment on the commentators so to speak. One of them kept referring to the Galaxies as being 5 litres. Perhaps more importantly they were happy to discuss John Surtees's preferences between 8 or 12 cylinder 1.5 litre Ferraris or that the monocoque Lotus 25 would handle better than the space frame 21 yet they missed the fact that most of the Climax engines in the Glover Trophy were 4 cylinders rather than V8s. Curiously they seem as fast as the V8s.

Now to my usual hobby horse. At last somebody showing that a Jaguar saloon can be competitive. Well done Chris Ward. Hugely entertaining as well.

#49 JonnyA

JonnyA

• 46 posts

Posted 09 September 2024 - 11:42

Can anyone explain please why the V16 BRM is in with the ERAs rather than 250Fs etc., and why said ERAs are able to keep up with it in a straight line? I appreciate Rob Hall is probably driving the BRM with plenty of sympathy, but surely even a well-developed ERA should be left in the dust?

#50 Andrew Stevens

Andrew Stevens

• 122 posts

Posted 09 September 2024 - 12:11

V16 BRM debuted in 1951 (from memory) and the 250F etc race is 1955 to 1960 era?

As to the performance, ERA's have been raced constantly since the 1930s basically and most of the cars very well sorted and running powerful 2 litre engines now. BRM should technically be faster, but still very much in teething/troubleshooting  stage. Far more complicated and unreliable at this time ( as in the 1950s?  :D ) and much less sorted/developed than the ERAs. Similarly, they should not outrun P3 Alfas for example either, but they generally do...