Photo

I Sunday Mirror Trophy (Goodwood) - colored pics

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FlyingSaucer

FlyingSaucer

• 118 posts

Posted 04 September 2024 - 18:54

Ahead of this year's Goodwood Revival, I decided to create a special topic to post some of my colorized images of the last F1 race held at the Goodwood, way back in 1965. 

Originally, this sequence would be part of a larger project of mine (which also involves a text about the race), which I would cede to the institution's (Goodwood) own website - but as I was ignored, at least I post these images in a place where they can be seen and also, where people will be able to enjoy the results.

Keep in mind that artificial colorization is not a perfect art and that some details in images can still be improved. Furthermore, the rights to the images belong to their respective owners, and the colorization of them is my property.

Anyway, have fun!

Images are (in sequence)

1. Jim Clark crossing the finish line first. Credits: Alamy
2. Jo Siffert crash in the chicane, on the 28th lap. Credits: Unknown
3. Jim Clark with the Sunday Mirror Trophy. Credits: The Daily Mirror

1.jpg

2.jpg

Clark-winner-of-Goodwood-Credits-Daily-M

Edited by FlyingSaucer, 04 September 2024 - 18:58.

Advertisement

#2 DCapps

DCapps

• 926 posts

Posted 04 September 2024 - 19:45

Ted Turner Redux...

#3 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 539 posts

Posted 04 September 2024 - 22:12

Great photos!

Jo Siffert's crash looked rather nasty, here's a photo of the aftermath.

https://www.gettyima...photo/695904099

Jo-Siffert-crash-Goodwood-19th-April-196

#4 BRG

BRG

• 26,533 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 09:46

2. Jo Siffert crash in the chicane, on the 28th lap. Credits: Unknown

2.jpg

Ouch!  DCN mentions this crash, which happened right in front of him, in his piece about lapping Goodwood in the latest MotorSport issue.

"Quite how Seppi escaped serious injury or worse staggered everyone there that day"

I am a little insure about colourisation, which I frankly do not understand technically, but these shots look extremely convincing especially the one of Clark taking the win .  A pity that the Goodwood website has spurned them

#5 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,632 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 10:48

That photo is the first time I've seen ace snapper Vic Blackman's name in many years, didn't he work mainly for the Daily Express? I learned lots from his writings, and in my youth his weekly column in Amateur Photographer was always the first thing I turned to. Memories of my darkroom days, fingernails permanently stained a yellowy brown from daily contact with developer and fixer, proper photography, the real thing, but you tell that to the kids of today....

#6 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 976 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 11:06

Great shots but I'm not a fan of colourization.

#7 9203RW

9203RW

• 55 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 20:03

Originally, this sequence would be part of a larger project of mine (which also involves a text about the race), which I would cede to the institution's (Goodwood) own website - but as I was ignored, at least I post these images in a place where they can be seen and also, where people will be able to enjoy the results.

I'd be fascinated to see the end result of your project.  The Easter 1965 Goodwood meeting was the only time I saw Jim Clark drive and the memory will always stay with me.  For some reason, though, my two most vivid memories, apart from the hailstorm, are of Clark's dominant performance in the saloon car race and of Siffert's accident - the latter because Dad and I were standing on the bank on the infield at the time and saw it very clearly, and as others have observed, it looked a lot nastier than, fortunately, it turned out to be.

If only my memories of the day were clearer; but I was only nine years old at the time.

#8 FlyingSaucer

FlyingSaucer

• 118 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 22:27

Despite posting these photos, I partially have to agree with you Sabre.

There are "photos" and "photos" that deserve to be colored. For example, a pic must have a minimum of quality and sharpness. Photos that are not sharp generally produce terrible results.  Another thing: cars that are mostly red are terrible a nightmare to colorize. Every time I tried to do this colorization process on a Ferrari the results were horrendous.

Therefore, I say that there are situations in which a photo can be colored and others cannot. For example, colorizing racing photos from the 20s and 30s is a spectacular way to insert something different in a text about motorsport in this eras, for the simple reason that there are very few originally colored photos of races from that time.

In the case above, I carried out this process simply because of the historical importance of the race and because all records of it were made in black and white - p.s.: as far as I known. Bringing these records back to life, through (a careful) colorization process, inserts new possibilities within the current automotive context and research.

#9 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 539 posts

Posted 06 September 2024 - 19:28

Generally I agree, but there are exceptions, the photo of Jim Clark being one such example.

Clark-winner-of-Goodwood-Credits-Daily-M

Edited by Myhinpaa, 06 September 2024 - 19:29.

#10 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,326 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 20:50

Me neither although these are better than some.

#11 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,632 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 22:15

Me neither although these are better than some.

That photo of Jim Clark on his victory lap with the cup is excellent, it just looks like a really good colour photo taken at the time.