Photo

St. Athan & Llandow early 60’s and 50’s

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Llandowhistoricmotorsport

Llandowhistoricmotorsport

• 27 posts

Posted 09 September 2024 - 21:00

I am looking for any photographs or Cine footage of motorsport at St Athan or Llandow between 1958-60’s.
I am 4-5 years into my Llandow archive and museum collection and I am hoping for any help with the above period.
Thankyou all as always.

Advertisement

#2 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,172 posts

Posted 10 September 2024 - 06:45

Autosport, 20 May 1960, Page 679

Gilbern Gran Turismo on test at Llandow.

18 September 1960, Swansea M.C., sprint, Llandow airfield

The week before the hill climb at Castel Farm.

Easter Monday, 30 March 1964, Hagley D.L.C.C. and South Wales A.C., racing. Llandow, near Cardiff.

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 10 September 2024 - 07:10.

#3 Salsin

Salsin

• 24 posts

Posted 15 September 2024 - 19:58

If I remember correctly, the Welsh Rally in 1966 finished at Llandow with a thrash round the circuit. I have 6 pics taken of cars in the finish assembly car park - competitors, officials (damaged Anglia!) and works teams' service barges. If my memory is correct and these would be of interest, please let me know.

Regards,

Mike Dodman

#4 Llandowhistoricmotorsport

Llandowhistoricmotorsport

• 27 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:46

I would love to see those photos!
Yes Llandow was the final stage of the Welsh, they had 10 laps; after driving with a navigator the whole way through various stages; they raced Llandow solo.
Most wouldn’t pay attention to how many laps they’d done so the navigators would stick 10 strips of tape to be removed one by one.
I’m told some guys did 11 laps by mistake after forgetting to remove the tape.
You’re welcome to email the images if that’s easier, my email is :
Llandowhistoricmotorsport@gmail.com

If I remember correctly, the Welsh Rally in 1966 finished at Llandow with a thrash round the circuit. I have 6 pics taken of cars in the finish assembly car park - competitors, officials (damaged Anglia!) and works teams' service barges. If my memory is correct and these would be of interest, please let me know.
Regards,
Mike Dodman