- - - - -

Grand Prix of Azerbaijan build-up thread

• Please log in to reply
849 replies to this topic

#1 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,580 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 16:30

Close to 17:00 in Albion and no build-up thread yet, I did Hungary on a whim, did not see myself as much more than a semi-regular contributor, yet here I am (unless I am blind and one already exist).

Track: Baku City Circuit
Most wins: Sergio Perez
Lap record: 1:43.009 by Charles Leclerc

Azerbaijan is home to the world's largest KFC, located in Baku. The building was originally a railway station.
Saucer Dance a unique dance performed only by women, where saucers are used as part of the choreography.

National dish is Plov.
A special version of Plov is called King Plov.

Weater
Friday Sunny
Saturday Sunny
Sunday Sunny
Monday Sunny

Advertisement

#2 Broekschaap

Broekschaap

• 1,180 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 16:54

For some reason i remember last years national anthem performance with women dresses changing in the colors of the national flag. Why memory? Why?

#3 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,580 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 16:58

For some reason i remember last years national anthem performance with women dresses changing in the colors of the national flag. Why memory? Why?

https://youtu.be/8MDHukdsPxs?t=14

#4 ANF

ANF

• 32,055 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:02

23) Changes to the Circuit
• Vehicle opening added at pit exit on LHS.
• Vehicle opening at Turn 14 on RHS replaced with crash gate.
• Vehicle opening at Pit Entry on LHS replaced with crash gate.
• Crash gate at Pit Entry on RHS replace with vehicle opening.
• Realignment of the walls on RHS between Turn 3 and Turn 4.
• The concrete walls between Turn 12 and Turn 13 on RHS have been realigned.
• The track edge line at the exit of Turn 12 has been moved closer to the concrete walls.
• The concrete walls in the run-off in Turn 16 have been replaced with new ones.
• The concrete walls between Turn 18 and Turn 19 on LHS have been replaced with new ones.
• The concrete walls in Turn 15 on RHS have been realigned.
• The concrete wall separating the straights between Turn 6 and Turn 7 on LHS and between Turn 19 and Turn 20 on LHS have been replaced with new concrete walls.
• The concrete walls in Turn 1 run-off have been realigned.
• Between Turn 2 and Turn 3 small patches of new asphalt on LHS in Pit Exit Road and on RHS.
• Between Turn 7 and Turn 8 small patches of new asphalt on RHS.
• Between Turn 12 and Turn 13 a strip of new asphalt on RHS in front of the barriers.
• New location of Medical Centre.

#5 d246

d246

• 1,080 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:06

For some reason I remember keeping being told that it's the lowest lying capital city in the world.

Usualy an interesting race.

PS - thanks for starting the thread.

#6 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 5,025 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:10

I wait with baited breath every year to see a repeat of the Basil Fawlty-esque meltdown which Verstappen had after his car broke down and he started kicking it...

Hoping for a repeat this year!

thrashing-a-car.jpg

_118964209_verstappen.jpg

#7 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,580 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:25

For some reason I remember keeping being told that it's the lowest lying capital city in the world.

Usualy an interesting race.

PS - thanks for starting the thread.

It's a bingo - had to look it up, since my mental visual was on the high steppes.

#8 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 34,768 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:31

Scandalous tyre pressures from Pirelli this weekend

26.5psi fronts, 25.5psi rears. Unbelievable.

#9 P123

P123

• 24,846 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:34

Perhaps this is the key to mix of winners this season.  Random crazy tyre pressures. 

#10 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 65,287 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:36

I need to know about this:

the world's largest KFC

And this:

National dish is Plov.
A special version of Plov is called King Plov.

#11 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 12,383 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:38

Those are high tyre pressures indeed, but I'm glad they've been set high from the outset, rather than being raised during the weekend. The mid-weekend changes are deeply unfair, I think.

#12 ANF

ANF

• 32,055 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:43

I wonder if Bearman will have 87, 50 or 38 on his car. I couldn't find an updated entry list on FIA.com, and I couldn't find the answer in the sporting regulations – either I'm stupid or it's a grey area.

#13 DW46

DW46

• 2,869 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:50

Who do we reckon will benefit from tyre pressures?

#14 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,580 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:56

I need to know about this:

And this:

The world's largest KFC in Baku, Azerbaijan, is housed in the historic Sabunchu rail station. This station, built in 1926, was part of the Soviet Union's first electrified railway system. The building had fallen into disrepair, but KFC's franchise partner in Azerbaijan invested €3 million to restore it.

The restoration preserved many of the station's original architectural elements, such as its cathedral ceilings and intricate coffered panels. This unique blend of history and modern fast food makes the Baku KFC a special landmark.

Now unfortunately when digging deeper into the Plov and king Plov etymology quite the controversy are exposed... 

Plov, also known as pilaf, has a rich history and is enjoyed in many countries, especially in Central Asia. The dish is believed to have originated in Uzbekistan, where it is considered the national dish. It dates back to at least the 10th or 11th century, and some legends even suggest that Alexander the Great enjoyed plov after conquering the city of Samarkand.

While Uzbekistan is often credited with the creation of plov, the dish has spread and evolved across many neighboring countries, including Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, and Tajikistan.

Each region has its own unique variations, incorporating local ingredients and flavors.

It seems to me that this is the Frikadeller with grated or chopped onions, using oats or not, a Frikadelle a meat ball or a stand alone product?

#15 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,580 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 17:57

Perez!!1

#16 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,580 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 18:01

Frederik Vesti is the reserve driver for

Mercedes

Williams

McLaren

Haas

That must be close to a record.

#17 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,824 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 18:03

I wonder if Bearman will have 87, 50 or 38 on his car. I couldn't find an updated entry list on FIA.com, and I couldn't find the answer in the sporting regulations – either I'm stupid or it's a grey area.

Looks like #50

3bEeqYG.jpeg

#18 genius83

genius83

• 221 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 18:03

Perhaps this is the key to mix of winners this season.  Random crazy tyre pressures. 

I have said it in another topic that the pressure changes are the biggest problem this season, they are hurting the teams too much with these. Also, the chances are that they could drop it after friday practice data if there is bigger difference between teams.

#19 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 34,768 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 18:07

It's been this way for a while. This weekend is particularly bad, though.

Advertisement

#20 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,580 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 18:12

Looks like #50

3bEeqYG.jpeg

That guys does not wear shorts a lot.

#21 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,302 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 18:21

At first I thought that guy was Charlie Whiting.

#22 Grippy

Grippy

• 498 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 18:22

Looks like #50

3bEeqYG.jpeg

Interesting as the Autsport drivers page has him as No38

https://www.autosport.com/f1/drivers/

#23 Beri

Beri

• 12,944 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 18:30

Well thanks Kwissen, now I've spend the last hour looking at the biggest KFC restaurant, the biggest KFC bucket, the largest KFC portion eaten by one person that stands as a record, the history of KFC, the Wikipedia page of Colonel Sanders, the history of railway in Azerbaijan, the history of Soviet Railways and now I am at Stalin's personal train.

You make my wife happy, the dishes are to be done. By me.

#24 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,580 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 18:40

Well thanks Kwissen, now I've spend the last hour looking at the biggest KFC restaurant, the biggest KFC bucket, the largest KFC portion eaten by one person that stands as a record, the history of KFC, the Wikipedia page of Colonel Sanders, the history of railway in Azerbaijan, the history of Soviet Railways and now I am at Stalin's personal train.

You make my wife happy, the dishes are to be done. By me.

You did a an open ended Wiki Game.

#25 brucewayne

brucewayne

• 1,340 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 18:48

It's been this way for a while. This weekend is particularly bad, though.

Overwhelmed Pirelli, nothing new.

#26 ANF

ANF

• 32,055 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 18:52

Looks like #50

Thanks! So he will be using the FP1/FP2 replacement driver number that was allocated to Haas (Articles 9.1f), 32.4c) and 32.4d) ).

#27 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 5,544 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 19:09

I wonder who will find the castle tec pro (the one that caused Leclerc his famous "I am stupid line"

#28 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,346 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 20:06

Sergio Perez having more wins on this circuit than anyone else is the funniest thing.

2023 Baku was also the final race he ever won (including the future).

Anyway. No support races other than the two F2 races again. There aren't as many carnage-makers in this year's grid as in the past though (if you don't count Mecachrome failing)

#29 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,649 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 20:35

Some legends even suggest that Alexander the Great enjoyed plov after conquering the city of Samarkand.

Thank you! At last my education is complete. I shall make sure to drop that into conversations in future.

#30 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,561 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 20:41

Hello from Baku!

It's hot and humid here but there's a good buzz around town. They really do embrace the race here.

#31 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,477 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 20:48

The Turkish version of the dish, pilav, is one of my go-to meals to cook, although I use bulgur wheat rather than rice. The grains-and-minced meat base is cooked in butter and meat stock, so is very rich and hearty, and can easily be customised with whatever additional ingredients, flavours and spices that you wish (I see that Azerbaijan has over 40 recognised varieties).

It's not surprising that there is a potential dispute over who originated the dish, as most of the Turkic nations (plus Tajikistan, which is closer to Iran in terms of ethnicity and language but has the shared Russian Empire/USSR experience with its neighbours) have strained diplomatic relations, with the exception of Turkey and Azerbaijan.

#32 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,477 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 20:55

Plus another local fun fact: there are more Azerbaijanis in Iran than in Azerbaijan.

#33 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,520 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 22:36

Plus another local fun fact: there are more Azerbaijanis in Iran than in Azerbaijan.

Completely unrelated, but I'm sure there are also more Irish in Australia than there are in Ireland

#34 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,906 posts

Posted 12 September 2024 - 23:33

Hello from Baku!

It's hot and humid here but there's a good buzz around town. They really do embrace the race here.

How much for tickets, travel and hotel? I hear it’s one of the cheaper races to attend?

#35 southernstars

southernstars

• 3,088 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 00:00

Sergio Perez having more wins on this circuit than anyone else is the funniest thing.

2023 Baku was also the final race he ever won (including the future).

Anyway. No support races other than the two F2 races again. There aren't as many carnage-makers in this year's grid as in the past though (if you don't count Mecachrome failing)

2023 Baku was also the last time he finished ahead of Verstappen in a race. Yeah.

#36 arrysen

arrysen

• 149 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 01:09

I have to say that when this race was first on the calendar and then run, I wasn't a big fan of it at all - just seemed kinda pointless and the really narrow section up around the castle made it feel too "try hard" to me.

That view has gone around 180 degrees now though & I really look forward to this race and it's brought us some great action and good racing before now. Oh and the timezone is much more civilised here in Oz - might even get to bed before midnight this Sunday!

#37 southernstars

southernstars

• 3,088 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 02:07

Oh and the timezone is much more civilised here in Oz - might even get to bed before midnight this Sunday!

That is the biggest red flag jinx I've seen in a long time.

#38 arrysen

arrysen

• 149 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 02:43

That is the biggest red flag jinx I've seen in a long time.

Good point - let's hope not eh?  :blush:  :cool:

#39 jradicals

jradicals

• 109 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 03:20

Hello from Baku!

SUT_European_Grand_1375572.jpg

Obligatory Well Done Baku reference  :lol:

Advertisement

#40 DW46

DW46

• 2,869 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 06:29

Hello from Baku!

You got tickets JC? Enjoy mate.

#41 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 18,352 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 06:39

I wait with baited breath every year to see a repeat of the Basil Fawlty-esque meltdown which Verstappen had after his car broke down and he started kicking it...

Hoping for a repeat this year!

thrashing-a-car.jpg

_118964209_verstappen.jpg

Well, he is just showing his Pirelli love. About 10 races earlier in Imola 2020, he had a similar incident at the end of the race with a Pirelli puncture. That time spinning him into the gravel trap.

Hot air balloons? 25 PsI is 1.7 bar. They used to do closer to 1.0.

2023 Baku was also the last time he finished ahead of Verstappen in a race. Yeah.

Perez was only in front of Verstappen for 25 laps this season. 20 due to Spa and 5 in total for pit stops in Spa, Zandvoort and Monza.

I have to say that when this race was first on the calendar and then run, I wasn't a big fan of it at all - just seemed kinda pointless and the really narrow section up around the castle made it feel too "try hard" to me.

That view has gone around 180 degrees now though & I really look forward to this race and it's brought us some great action and good racing before now. Oh and the timezone is much more civilised here in Oz - might even get to bed before midnight this Sunday!

The first one was an absolute snoozer.

#42 southernstars

southernstars

• 3,088 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 06:45

Yeah, it wasn't until we got that absolute belter in 2017 that a lot of people realised how good it was going to be.

#43 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 6,003 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:06

I like Baku. At least it's not another night/street circuit, has some character with that long s/f straight and the castle section. I always look forward to it.

#44 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,841 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:10

Should be a good race and no rain again it seems. :clap:

#45 southernstars

southernstars

• 3,088 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:18

Surely this weekend ends our safety car-less streak. The tensions for the title getting higher, the midfield getting tighter, Bearman and Colapinto...

#46 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 8,906 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:29

Surely this weekend ends our safety car-less streak. The tensions for the title getting higher, the midfield getting tighter, Bearman and Colapinto...

Need one to put poor Brundle out of his misery :lol:

#47 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 1,143 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 08:14

Lol. I don't think Brundle does Baku usually though?

#48 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 34,768 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 08:21

I like Baku. At least it's not another night/street circuit, has some character with that long s/f straight and the castle section. I always look forward to it.

I'm glad it's later in the season. The April slot didn't work imo, cars too underdeveloped at a very strange track.

#49 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 3,125 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 08:24

I like Baku. At least it's not another night/street circuit, has some character with that long s/f straight and the castle section. I always look forward to it.

The straight is so long that they should hold the race when it's still daylight at one end of the straight but dark and under lights at the other end!

#50 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,561 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 08:27

It rained a bit this morning, but blazing sun now.