• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,006 posts

Posted Today, 10:28

https://www.motorspo...ts-block-anchor

Jos again dropping some hand grenades into the system

Wonder if it would start to irritate the teams when the parents get too hands on. What’s his actual function? Do they just get tickets and access because their ‘kid’ is the star?

Might start taking my old man into work to fight some battles on the side for me :lol:

Advertisement

#2 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,972 posts

Posted Today, 10:32

Is Jos Max’s manager?

Just wondering if he actually had an official capacity and not just busybody dad.

#3 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 12,457 posts

Posted Today, 10:37

Ultimately, it's for the drivers themselves to decide who they want supporting them in the garage and, where necessary, to ensure that the members of their support system conduct themselves appropriately.

#4 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,711 posts

Posted Today, 10:38

We know Jos Verstappen's history and he is not your average dad. Might be a bit extreme to exclude them all from the paddock; Lawrence Stroll might not be too happy, for example.

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 45,510 posts

Posted Today, 10:41

Ultimately it is up to the teams to decide, but you have to wonder why they would continue to allow him in, if he is as toxic as the press would have us believe. A parent wouldn't even need to be in the paddock to get press attention though.

#6 southernstars

southernstars

• 3,158 posts

Posted Today, 10:42

I don't think Jos is his manager. But I think like a lot of kids whose parents were...overly aggressive pushy jerks (the last time I noted the a-word it got deleted so I'll avoid it), Max is still chasing his father's approval. Maybe not even consciously, but inside him is still that little boy who just wants his dad to stop shouting and the only way to make that happen is to make him proud. So he brings him everywhere.

There's definitely an argument that some parents can be toxic, or at least super unhelpful for their kids' careers - Jos and Carlos Sr are the two major examples that spring to mind. But generally the current generation of F1 dads seem to be less directly involved and therefore much less toxic. I'm thinking of Chris Piastri and Adam Norris cheering for each other's sons as well as their own. And in many ways I think it's good for society generally to show healthy relationships between parent and child - like Papa Bearman rushing straight over to hug and kiss Ollie after Jeddah.

#7 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 18,426 posts

Posted Today, 10:45

Well, Jos was right, wasn't he? He warned when the Horner saga started a lot of key people could leave. And they actually did.

#8 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,748 posts

Posted Today, 10:54

Well, Jos was right, wasn't he? He warned when the Horner saga started a lot of key people could leave. And they actually did.

This does seem to be the point everyone is missing, Jos has a vested interest in his son doing well and while he doesn't actually manage Max on a day to day basis I can't imagine they would make a major discussion without discussing it first. Jos's problem is he lacks diplomacy and while this can be a nightmare for the team and possibly Max (although it doesn't come across that way) he is solid gold for the media. 

#9 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,876 posts

Posted Today, 10:57

Not this again. He wasnt even in the paddock so not sure what him saying this has to do with that.

Verstappen responded to Motorsport.com at the East Belgian Rally last weekend, when asked about another veteran team member leaving Red Bull Racing.

And its not like he's wrong either.

Edited by Kao18, Today, 10:57.

#10 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,972 posts

Posted Today, 11:03

This does seem to be the point everyone is missing, Jos has a vested interest in his son doing well and while he doesn't actually manage Max on a day to day basis I can't imagine they would make a major discussion without discussing it first. Jos's problem is he lacks diplomacy and while this can be a nightmare for the team and possibly Max (although it doesn't come across that way) he is solid gold for the media.

What is Jos’ vested interest? Just being a dad isn’t an investment. What’s Jos bringing to the table other than a loud mouth?

#11 DJH63

DJH63

• 425 posts

Posted Today, 11:04

At least Jos is only speaking his mind.

In F2, Hadjar’s dad was banned from pit lane access after repeatedly taking selfies in the live fast lane. Same happened with the cryptobro who was finding Ralph Boschung.

Thats before we even speak about Ferrucci and what his dad got up to.

#12 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,006 posts

Posted Today, 11:12

Not this again. He wasnt even in the paddock so not sure what him saying this has to do with that.

And its not like he's wrong either.

Might not be in the paddock this time, but he’s usually hanging around isn’t he?

Probably more listened to because he’s an ex-F1 driver… and has a reputation that gives him that explosive persona. If his son wasn’t so successful I doubt we’d hear anything from him.

#13 BRG

BRG

• 26,645 posts

Posted Today, 11:15

Jos is a karting Dad who just hasn't adjusted to the fact that time has moved on.  Even though he is rallying regularly, it doesn't stop the media asking his opinion.  I doubt if he seeks out journalists at rallies but they certainly seek him out.  Maybe Red Bull should fund him doing the WRC2 championship and get him far away for a few more weekends.

Dad's come in all shapes and sizes.  Nobody had an issue with Jenson's dad John Button other than his habit of wearing pink shirts.  But Lewis's dad Antony proved to be a bit of a problem until Lewis sorted him out.  And of course Lawrence Strulovitvch (Stroll) owns the team, although to be fair, he is rarely seen or interviewed.  Mostly family members are just there to cheer their boy on and don't cause a problem.   

If they were banned, the TV people might have to be a bit more creative and show us more action instead of all those lazy lingering shots of family, wives and girlfriends.  Although they would probably show us the side of Toto's nose even more often than now.

#14 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,705 posts

Posted Today, 11:24

Good mention of Antony Hamilton, I immediately thought after seeing this thread that Lewis was much better off after distancing himself from his father, and gaining some professional management in the process. Even if it did cause a ruction between the Hamilton’s for a couple of years, it was worth it in the end and they happily reconciled.

For those drivers who do have their dad very actively involved, there’s got to be a question about whether you, a grown man, really want your parents to be still fighting your battles for you. Better for you personally to fully flee the nest no? Of course with Jos, whether Max even wants his dad to be opening his mouth, and whether he listens if Max tells him to back off, are good questions.

#15 Hrco42

Hrco42

• 410 posts

Posted Today, 11:25

Might start taking my old man into work to fight some battles on the side for me :lol:

If you are in the top 3 in the world at what you do, like Max is, then sure, you can bring your dad to work or do whatever you want and your boss will tolerate it just to keep you happy and not lose you.

If you aren't, then at best you'll be labeled as a weirdo or at worst, fired.

#16 danmills

danmills

• 3,471 posts

Posted Today, 11:26

By the time they reach F1 they are young adults, not kids. Do they need their parents? Not really.

But they should be allowed if they want, especially when you have absolute nobodies tagging along as 'guests'.

If parents exert irritability and affect things with the racing operation then sure, teams can themselves impose a personal ban but it should not be a blanket policy for the sport as a whole. There are equally very passive parents that blend into the background seamlessly.

Antony Hamilton was actively involved in Lewis' career. So is Jos. Both as advisors, part managers or aiding decisions it seems. Piastri's mum watches from afar, Webber manages him. That's the difference. Not every parent has the same level of involvement in their careers.

Edited by danmills, Today, 11:29.

#17 Frood

Frood

• 10,717 posts

Posted Today, 11:28

At least Jos is only speaking his mind.

In F2, Hadjar’s dad was banned from pit lane access after repeatedly taking selfies in the live fast lane. Same happened with the cryptobro who was finding Ralph Boschung.

Thats before we even speak about Ferrucci and what his dad got up to.

Cem Bölükbaşı's dad got himself banned from the F2 paddock a couple of years ago after he supposedly had a go at Chanoch Nissany after a race.

Mind you, it was probably warranted given what Chanoch's lad was usually up to...

#18 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 1,503 posts

Posted Today, 11:37

Because I had not seen it answered, Max Verstappen's manager is Raymond Vermeulen. Verstappen during the season seemingly has at least two clear things in his mind:

“[Jos] he is not a liar, that is for sure...my dad and I are very close. We call every day."

“I don’t see myself in F1 without them (his father and manager) by my side.”

So it would seem that as long as Max is racing, his dad will be around, and in this case it would seem the outspoken Jos is correct or simply drawing back the curtains on RBR's current internal status.

#19 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,944 posts

Posted Today, 11:39

Jos Verstappen isn't just Max's dad though; he's also the single greatest racing driver of all time so deserves to be in the paddock for that reason. When people talk about "the next Verstappen", what do you think they mean?

Advertisement

#20 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,903 posts

Posted Today, 12:41

Speaking generally about driver's family members and not Jos specifically....

It's up to the driver and team really. For some drivers their parents and other family members have been around in a supportive capacity since their karting days. For some their parents might be their managers, at least to begin with. As long as they're not making a nuisance of themselves, it's OK by me. Even if some might be more "hangers on" than actually helping. They should, of course, adhere to strict safety rules regarding live pitlanes and such. 

As for Jos specifically, he is certainly not the most subtle character ever to grace the F1 scene but he's an ex driver and definitely part of Max's support network and not merely entourage. I don't think I'd want to have dinner with the guy but he's got reasons to be there. And his mouth is usually less toxic than Marko's. 

#21 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 6,025 posts

Posted Today, 12:46

The thing is, father/son partnerships have come through the ranks from karting - a lot of travel together, a lot of financial input from the parents - they probably feel the right to be there and the driver probably wants them there too.

Many/most of the drivers who get to F1 have a bit of a stunted upbringing IMO, in that they've often been pulled away from education in one form or another - missed out on activites with their friends etc. Sometimes the parents are humble, sometimes (often) they have plenty of money and naturally an ego comes with that.

In Jos' case, he's 1) has a bit of money from his F1 days and 2) is comfortable with the world of F1 and how the paddock works. He always was a bit fiery in his driving days and he clearly still has it in his support role of Max. It wouldn't surprise me if he's enjoying the quite substantial limelight which he never really had as an average F1 driver.

Edit: posted at same time as absinthedude - same kind of sentiment!

Edited by IrvTheSwerve, Today, 12:46.