- - - - -

Fake Gravel Traps at COTA

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,729 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:14

Autosport web site has headline article that COTA has installed 'fake gravel traps' at some corners to deter track limits abuse.

Fake gravel among new track limits measures for US Grand Prix (autosport.com)

Not sure how much of a deterrent areas of resin bonded gravel will be.

I wonder which driver will be nominated as the 'test bed dummy' to try it out for grip during FP1.

Advertisement

#2 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,639 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:42

Similar to Zandvoort in S3 which works well. CoTA is a great track ruined by a sea of tarmac. Hopefully this fixes the issue of track limits a bit more.

Doesn't look like they've resolved the exit of turn 1 though.

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 65,468 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:45

Fake gravel!

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,078 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:07

Yeah I thought it worked quite well at Zandvoort. Still works like a gravel trap but doesn’t bring loose stones on the track.

#5 loki

loki

• 13,379 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:13

Put a wall where they want to enforce track limits.  “Thee Worlds Greatest Drivers” should have no problem avoiding it…

#6 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 1,524 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:18

I wonder what the differences are between this "fake gravel" at Zandvoort/COTA and the tarmac runoff system (blue/red zones) originally implemented at Paul Ricard when it was renovated as a test track.

#7 pup

pup

• 3,050 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:20

Fake gravel!

Is nothing sacred?

#8 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,753 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:22

The topic heading has given me earworm: Fake Plastic Trees.

#9 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 13,925 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:22

Put a wall where they want to enforce track limits.  “Thee Worlds Greatest Drivers” should have no problem avoiding it…

that's have a championship at Baku, Saudi Arabia and Singapore only then :)

#10 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 5,031 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:47

The topic heading has given me earworm: Fake Plastic Trees.

This news wears me out.

#11 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 3,760 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:52

When exactly did MotoGP start requiring tarmac run-off areas? Back when I used to follow MotoGP actively (in 2005-06), all tracks like Assen, Sachenring, Brno or Laguna Seca were "old-school" with only gravel or grass beyond the white line. Nowadays they seem to be very anal with asphalt run-off areas, whereas F1 seems to be reverting back to gravel.

#12 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,422 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:22

Nowadays they seem to be very anal with asphalt run-off areas, whereas F1 seems to be reverting back to gravel.

Well, sort of reverting...

#13 azza200

azza200

• 1,091 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:46

Fake gravel!

yes next to the fake barriers  :rotfl:

#14 efuloni

efuloni

• 858 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:10

How much longer untill we have a digitally imposed loss of power to those who go off-track?

#15 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,881 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:38

This news wears me out.

I could blow through the ceiling myself.

#16 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,545 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:15

What is the advantage of fake gravel over gravel itself?

#17 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 31,078 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:12

It's lower maintenance and less disruptive to the track foundation (they'll need to remove it for MotoGP). Real gravel traps have to be maintained (refilled and leveled) since the cars will tend to excavate the trap when cross it. 

Edited by ARTGP, Yesterday, 23:15.

#18 baddog

baddog

• 30,175 posts

Posted Today, 02:20

make driving on it slow and disadvantageous, but dont scatter gravel on the road too endanger other  cars and need cleanup.

#19 loki

loki

• 13,379 posts

Posted Today, 03:18

Miami: Fake marina

COTA: Fake gravel

Vegas: Fake boobs

Advertisement

#20 SB

SB

• 2,454 posts

Posted Today, 04:02

Heard about the "Wall of Champions" in Canada yet ?!  :drunk:  :rotfl:

#21 Beri

Beri

• 13,025 posts

Posted Today, 05:52

I wonder what the differences are between this "fake gravel" at Zandvoort/COTA and the tarmac runoff system (blue/red zones) originally implemented at Paul Ricard when it was renovated as a test track.

Well; the Zandvoort solution, which now seems to has found its way into COTA, consists out of an actual gravel trap that has resin poured in to hold the gravel together. At Zandvoort it's only the edge of the gravel trap and the rest is still actual gravel.
The solution at Paul Ricard is abrasive tarmac. Which destroys your tyres if you go over it.

#22 jonklug

jonklug

• 2,157 posts

Posted Today, 07:24

Miami: Fake marina

COTA: Fake gravel

Vegas: Fake boobs

I mean... one is unlike the others

#23 Beri

Beri

• 13,025 posts

Posted Today, 08:07

So in essence you are saying; its unique and thus special?  :p

#24 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 65,468 posts

Posted Today, 08:11

Is nothing sacred?

Truly they paved over paradise (a big pit of gravel) and put up a parking lot (resin bonded gravel).

#25 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,865 posts

Posted Today, 08:27

This news wears me out.

It looks like the real thing.

#26 cbo

cbo

• 908 posts

Posted Today, 10:19

How much longer untill we have a digitally imposed loss of power to those who go off-track?

Four wheels of the track, picked up by sensors and engine power is reduced to that of a Morris Minor for 10 seconds....

That might work.....🤔

#27 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 1,524 posts

Posted Today, 10:32

Well; the Zandvoort solution, which now seems to has found its way into COTA, consists out of an actual gravel trap that has resin poured in to hold the gravel together. At Zandvoort it's only the edge of the gravel trap and the rest is still actual gravel.
The solution at Paul Ricard is abrasive tarmac. Which destroys your tyres if you go over it.

Thanks. Was wondering if the difference was actually that simple; I guess it is.

#28 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,546 posts

Posted Today, 11:52

When exactly did MotoGP start requiring tarmac run-off areas? Back when I used to follow MotoGP actively (in 2005-06), all tracks like Assen, Sachenring, Brno or Laguna Seca were "old-school" with only gravel or grass beyond the white line. Nowadays they seem to be very anal with asphalt run-off areas, whereas F1 seems to be reverting back to gravel.

Riders tend to flip through gravel causing broken bones, they tend to slide over tarmac.

#29 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 6,039 posts

Posted Today, 12:12

Four wheels of the track, picked up by sensors and engine power is reduced to that of a Morris Minor for 10 seconds....

That might work.....

Can't see any safety issues with a car joining back on to the racing line with significantly reduced speed...

#30 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,469 posts

Posted Today, 12:13

Riders tend to flip through gravel causing broken bones, they tend to slide over tarmac.

I guess things must have started changing to favour tarmac with improved race suits and built in airbags.

There's also the argument that tarmac will prevent some falls entirely, which we see every race with riders going off track and able to rejoin later.

#31 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,078 posts

Posted Today, 12:13

Can't see any safety issues with a car joining back on to the racing line with significantly reduced speed...

Why is the driver unsafely rejoining the track on the racing line?

#32 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 6,039 posts

Posted Today, 12:24

Why is the driver unsafely rejoining the track on the racing line?

All hypothetical obviously but I would guess racing drivers being racing drivers they would run wide, join back onto the track onto the racing line in the hope that they got away with it, and then the power would cut out. Either that or they'd have to join the track and instantly pull across it to get off the racing line, which would also be hazardous.

The other option is to stay off track, but that would be unrealistic as they'd 1) be picking up marbles/dirt and 2) they wouldn't really know if their power was being cut until they join back on to the track anyway, as we're dealing with a tenth of a second or so between them going off track and coming back on...

It's a nice idea but I could see it causing issues.