Photo

'The Rake's Progress' filming, 1944-45

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,694 posts

Posted 09 October 2024 - 18:49

Trawling further through the recently resurfaced batch of Denis Jenkinson's wartime motoring negs I have come across these of filming for the movie 'The Rake's Progress' - on location at Deepcut Barracks, near Camberley in Surrey.

Several of the car owning/driving extras were involved with the Royal Aircraft Establishment at nearby Farnborough, for example both Jenks and his friend Bill Boddy - part-time Editor of 'Motor Sport' magazine at the time - actually worked there.  Several locally-based luminaries of the VSCC and the 750MC also took part.

The movie was directed by Sidney Gilliat who co-wrote the script with Frank Launder.  It starred Rex Harrison as 'The Rake' whose hard-drinking, womanising and generally rakish progress is traced, and Lillie Palmer.  It includes a very truncated motor racing sequence in which Rex Harrison struts his stuff as a racing driver.  The entire sequence was hacked back to less than two minutes, I believe, in the final cut - which is viewable at: https://ok.ru/video/2429722430132

Here's a selection of DSJ pix taken during the apparently lengthy location filming at Deepcut.

temp-Image-Die6vq.jpeg[/url]

temp-Imageot5vr-U.jpeg

temp-Image-JE5xo7.jpeg

temp-Imageo-FMNUp.jpeg

temp-Imagenqk-FCo.jpeg

All Photos Strictly Copyright: The GP Library/DSJ

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 09 October 2024 - 18:51.

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,528 posts

Posted 09 October 2024 - 19:31

Rex Harrison was notoriously hard to get on with.  When he rebuffed a devotee asking for an autograph at stage door and received a blow in exchange, Noël Coward remarked that it was "the fan hitting the ****".

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,708 posts

Posted 09 October 2024 - 19:58

Thanks for these, Doug. I researched this a while back and according to Motor Sport, Dec 1944, the filming was on the Frimley Green to Brookwood road. The cars were garaged at North Camp and allowed to run unsilenced and unlicensed from there on open roads to where filming took place. For those who don't wish to sit through the whole film, here's my synopsis:

It is of course a morality tale loosely based on the William Hogarth sequence of paintings of the same name, and opened in London's West End on December 6th 1945. After being sent down from Oxford and various failed ventures and adventures including a spell in prison for debt Harrison's character Vivian Kenway – the son of an MP – decides to join his old university friend Fogroy (played by Guy Middleton) as a racing driver for a British team called Astro, announcing to the husband of the woman he has recently had an affair with that he’s ‘just bought an old Grand Prix Delage – on credit’. To anyone with knowledge of motor racing this would seem to place Kenway very much in the same territory as Dick Seaman (with Fogroy as Whitney Straight), but rather than showing them in an heroic light it would perhaps have evoked memories of Peter Chamberlain’s controversial and scurrilous 1937 novel Sing Holiday! with its debauched characters. Some newsreel footage of the 1938 BRDC Road Race at Brooklands supposedly leads on to Le Mans, although when Kenway’s two-seater Bugatti leaves the pits it is transformed into an Auto Union Grand Prix car at Stavelot corner on the Spa-Francorchamps circuit! It is at this point that the sequences filmed in Surrey in 1944 appear, mostly as back projections, although Potter’s Bugatti crash was incorporated into the film and portrayed as a mishap to Fogroy. More newsreel – of the 1935 Spanish Grand Prix – follows, with Alfred Neubauer making a brief appearance as the winning car (actually a Mercedes Benz W25A driven by Caracciola) arrives at the finish line and pulls into the pits. The picture fades to show Kenway celebrating and a still zooms out to show a newspaper front page with the main headline ‘HITLER-MUSSOLINI PACT’.

Kenway and Fogroy then move on to Austria for a fictional Vienna Grand Prix at about the time of the Anschluß in March 1938. This race is of course cancelled, but Kenway – detained by the hotel management for failing to settle his bill – is bailed out by an attractive 21-year-old Jewish woman (Lilli Palmer) who pays it, asking in return that Kenway marries her in order that she can obtain a British passport and escape from the Reich. Marriages of convenience of this sort – swiftly followed by divorce – were not uncommon at this time, but the writers were again surely treading a fine line by naming the character Rikki, which for many viewers was once more probably too close for comfort to the name of Dick Seaman’s 18-year-old bride Erika. Kenway, as usual up to his neck in debt, agrees the deal, for which her father had offered to pay £1000, but inveigles another £2000 out of her – all £3000 of which Fogroy proceeds to lose on the stock market. Cutting a long story short, Kenway then takes Rikki to the family cottage in Cornwall, where he has an affair with his father’s secretary Jennifer (Margaret Johnston), who had been in love with him for years, causing Rikki to attempt suicide by drowning, although Kenway and his father rescue her. Driving back to London while drunk, Kenway crashes the car, killing his father and abandoning Rikki in hospital. Rikki divorces him and disappears – he becomes a car salesman, then sells cleaning materials door-to-door and finally ends up as a shilling-a-time dancing partner, depressed and drinking heavily. Jennifer finds him again and takes him under her wing and once he has recovered they are set to marry – Kenway sends her off to London to buy a wedding dress but when she returns he has disappeared, leaving a note which just says ‘Sorry darling – I can’t’. When war comes he joins the army and – unlike Hogarth’s Tom Rakewell – dies a hero’s death in combat although – a playboy to the last – his last words, reported by a corporal, were “something about it being a good year … I think he was referring to the champagne, sir, he had a bottle in his hand at the time.” Fogroy, serving in the same armoured car unit, remarks affectionately that Kenway “died as he lived, drinking champagne he never paid for.” The Daily Mail reviewer summed up Kenway as ‘a man of charm, intelligence, great physical courage, and no integrity of any kind.’

Motor Sport was presumably not impressed by this, since there is not a single mention of the completed film, even though their December 1944 report, which recounted the filming in Surrey, had expressed the sentiment that “it will be nice to see motor-racing in a film and it is all good publicity, unless the story spoils it.” So perhaps they felt – with more than a little justification – that their premonition that “we rather fear that, in the minds of film producers, the down-grade progress of a rake must inevitably include a spot of motor-racing, or shall we find that it helped towards his reform?” had been proved substantially correct. The motor racing scenes actually take up just two minutes of the 116-minute film.

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,694 posts

Posted 09 October 2024 - 20:25

Thanks Richard.  

Jenks always talked of this break in their wartime routine, as happily being sent filming "at Deepcut".  

I assume the film unit based itself there, but then used what is today's B3012 road which runs from Frimley Green eastward to Brookwood, via Deepcut which itself lies barely a quarter of the 4-mile distance from the Green to Brookwood village. The road snakes along the line - and level - of the Basingstoke Canal.  I must take the pix and try to match up any surviving local features, it's all only some 20-25 minutes from home...or 90 minutes on a bad day with Surrey/Hants border traffic as it so often is these days...   :rolleyes:

North Camp, meanwhile, is barely a couple of miles south from the Green - and that's where Jenks lived in wartime digs before getting so deep into motor-cycle racing just postwar that he opted out of paying "expensive" residential rent, and occupied a local lock-up garage instead where he could house his bike, and work on it, and doss down overnight under the workbench "for free". For a brief period he also bought a Frazer Nash, on a loan he couldn't sustain, and he raced that car at Gransden Lodge.  It also lodged in that lock-up at North Camp.

DCN

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,708 posts

Posted 09 October 2024 - 20:45

I did also wonder if the being sent down from Oxford bit was an oblique reference to Reggie Tongue, who was 'rusticated' for neglecting his studies and so lodged in a pub in Nettlebed for two years before eventually leaving without completing his degree.

#6 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,450 posts

Posted 09 October 2024 - 21:00

Didn't realise that Hogarth had a driving licence...

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,708 posts

Posted 09 October 2024 - 22:03

Didn't realise that Hogarth had a driving licence...

Probably not, but he does have a roundabout named after him. So there's that ...

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 81,203 posts

Posted 09 October 2024 - 22:41

Everything but drugs...

Or did I miss that bit? Oh, of course, there's no rock and roll, leaving just the core subject.

I'll bet they had fun getting that car to sit on its side, and do I see it supposedly on fire in another pic?

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,694 posts

Posted 10 October 2024 - 07:34

No such footage of the half-rolled car nor of any fire seems to have made it beyond the final cut in the finished film. Another incident is shown, but in it a car rides up a roadside bank, but doesn't capsize.  

Just the other side of our valley here, south of Farnham, is the modern Bourne Woods movie location area where scenes have been shot for 'Gladiator', 'Harry Potter', 'War Horse', 'Warhorse' for example.  I'm no movie buff and haven't seen any of them, but some locals have been involved as crowd (or battle) scene extras.  Several groan that 'their' scenes never made it beyond the final edit.  

Regardless, amongst the privations of wartime the motoring community in southern England had some fun filming 'The Rake's Progress' in 1944 - and our friend was amongst them.

DCN

#10 BRG

BRG

• 26,691 posts

Posted 10 October 2024 - 10:13

I suppose it could have been filmed on Gapemouth Road (B3012 - at that time the A321), a road I know quite well.  The black and white kerbstones were a wartime aid when driving at night with virtually no lights permitted.  It might have used the bends at the western end of the stretch from Frimley Green to the junction with Deepcut Bridge Road (B3015) but I cannot see anything like the 90o bend in the first shot.

However, looking at the 1" OS map of the time, there was a public road north of the Basingstoke Canal that is now within the Deepcut military area with some 90o bends on it.  I wonder if this was in fact the venue for filming?  It is not currently accessible to the public, I believe, and Street View doesn't cover it, so difficult to check.

#11 PJGD

PJGD

• 152 posts

Posted 10 October 2024 - 22:15

Surely, could it not have been further east along Gape Mouth road where it goes under the railway line; there are two 90* bends there, and the photo could have been taken looking down from the rail banking?

#12 BRG

BRG

• 26,691 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:08

I did consider that but both of those bends were/are in fact road junctions and shot no 1 shows no trace of any junction.  I am putting my money on Brunswick Road, just to the north of the canal at the same point where there were two 90o bends although one has since been straightened out by the Army.  Also Brunswick Road lies between Deepcut and Pirbright Camps and may well have been in military control at the time of filming, as it still is today.  Whereas Gapemouth Road was an A road at that time which might have made it more difficult to close down.

#13 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,845 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:50

I found this little snippet in The Autocar, 28th November 1944. No extra help with the location but quite fun!

page-36-1.jpg

#14 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,694 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:12

My boss and I drove up and down the Frimley Green-Brookwood B3012 this morning, a gloriously challenging heavily wooded snake of a road ruined - in all but safety terms - by 40mph average speed enforcement cameras on tall poles.  One cannot argue they don't warn us - the things are after all painted bright yellow.  The tree growth of 80 years makes identification difficult, and there are a couple of corners flanked by quite steeply rising ground - or the railway embankment - on entry and exit but not one of them looked identifiable as the venue of any of Jenks's snaps above. In particular there is no section resembling the 'cutting' shown in Pic 3 above.

I suspect BRG might therefore be right about Brunswick Road - as he suggests - or at least they used one of the other road sections now within the Deepcut military area, which would make sense from what I was once told of filming "at Deepcut Camp".  

Bill Boddy's 'Motor Sport' piece in December 1944 states that "the piece of twisty road used runs from Frimley Green through Deepcut Barracks to Brookwood Station. It was closed by policemen and later by armoured cars".  Developing that theme he hoped that similar public road closures would be made upon the return of peace for real racing, sprinting and hill-climbing on the British mainland - absolutely banned since the Kop Hill crash in the 1920s.  His hopes would be dashed.

Perhaps, just out of curiosity, I should contact the military and ask for access to those Camp roads currently still "closed to public".  

After all, I can be trusted   :cool: 

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, Yesterday, 18:17.

#15 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,708 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:54

On a point of order/accuracy, Doug, although Kop is often cited as having triggered a government ban, it was actually a voluntary ban by the RAC and ACU, both of which had previously lobbied the government to clarify the law and had sponsored two failed Parliamentary Bills to that end. The whole thing was effectively in limbo until the Road Traffic Act of 1930, which specifically prohibited all forms of motor racing on public roads.

https://forums.autos...-5#entry8571416