Photo
- - - - -

Fixing the Sprint Shootout - yep, another change proposal, a good one tho

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: New Sprint Shootout format (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you change the Sprint Shootout to this 1-lap format?

1. Yes, as described. (12 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Yes, but the starting order should not be based on Championship standings (I'll explain). (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. No, leave it as it is (Q1, Q2, Q3). (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Other (I'll explain). (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mirrorboy

mirrorboy

• 76 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 11:21

I know what you are thinking, “great, another unnecessary thread about changing stuff in F1… this 4-week break is taking too long”
Take a deep breath pal, this one might find some consensus.

So, let's get down to business:

It seems that Sprint races and Sprint Shootouts are here to stay, so let’s make them the best they can be. User JimmyClark pointed out in another thread that while the regular Qualifying isn’t broken, the Sprint Shootout could be improved with a single-lap attempt. I immediately thought it was a brilliant idea, and I thought many others would agree, that’s why I added the poll.

The core of the new Sprint Shootout would be:
  • 1 single lap attempt per driver.
  • The starting order is determined by the world championship standings (the leader goes first). This adds a bit of unfairness and unpredictability, which is never well-received in this forum, but let’s think it’s only for the Sprint race, plus it’s only track-evolution benefit, we’re not weighing down anyone's car or anything like that.

Benefits of this format: 
  • It’s a distinct format from Qualifying. A Sprint Shootout deserves its own identity, something shorter, faster.
  • We can get to see ALL drivers in TV during a push lap.
  • It’s a true Sprint Shootout. Mistakes are punished.
  • It adds excitement and can shake up the Sprint race grid (as I said, not ideal for some, but it's only a little bit of unfairness).
  • It highlights true one-lap talent. Pressure is on!

So yeah, there it goes. What y'all think? :wave:

Edited by mirrorboy, 14 October 2024 - 13:53.

Advertisement

#2 JvsKVB77

JvsKVB77

• 832 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 11:25

Yes, but championship leader goes last. 

#3 southernstars

southernstars

• 3,233 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 11:53

I like it. But then, the Top Ten Shootout at Bathurst is one of my favourite parts of that weekend.

#4 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,647 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 12:11

Yes, obviously I agree :p I really don't like how similar sprint qualifying (sorry, shootout) is to the Grand Prix qualifying. 

Edited by JimmyClark, 14 October 2024 - 12:11.

#5 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 596 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 12:19

So how do you negate massive track evolution like Baku?  How do you negate something like the 5th car crashing and covering the racing line in debris and oil? Why should some people be penalised for track conditions in a wet/dry session?  There are too many variables, you may as well pick a number out of a hat and that be your starting position.

#6 Broekschaap

Broekschaap

• 1,226 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 12:20

Yes, obviously I agree :p I really don't like how similar sprint qualifying (sorry, shootout) is to the Grand Prix qualifying. 

Actually they are no longer shootouts, this changed with the fifth issue of the 2024 regulations. They are "sprint qualifying sessions".

#7 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,647 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 12:23

Actually they are no longer shootouts, this changed with the fifth issue of the 2024 regulations. They are "sprint qualifying sessions".

Kill me now.

#8 Broekschaap

Broekschaap

• 1,226 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 12:27

Kill me now.

My choice of weapon is little non important facts of the regulations in an attempt to bore you to death...

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,210 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 12:30

I don’t think the sprint race qualifying should take over twice as long as the race itself.

#10 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,556 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 13:38

I still can't stand the sprint and wish it would just vanish. That's my feelings on it and I just can't warm to them no matter how much Domenicali tells me I like it

#11 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,648 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 13:42

This was always my preferred option, because it also saves tyres.

But the best solution is to revamp the format. Make the Sprint a seperate championship, give points for Qualifying and then do a reverse grid Sprint race afterwards. Points for both, gaurentees action and it doesn't impact the main event.

#12 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,765 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 13:48

I'm generally not a fan of single lap qualifying, I think it tends to be boring, but I don't think it's a bad idea to give sprint qualy its own different flavour.

Maybe only the top 10 for Q3? 10th in Q2 goes first, then 9th in Q2 etc. To speed things up, you start your outlap as soon as the previous driver starts his hotlap.

#13 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,432 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 13:58

To speed things up, you start your outlap as soon as the previous driver starts his hotlap.

This was the case under the 2003-05 single lap qualifying, as well.

#14 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 6,072 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 13:59

I hate running a race twice, but I really hate running a qualifying session twice, pretty much exactly the same. It should definitely be a 1 lap qually.

#15 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,210 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 14:07

I'm generally not a fan of single lap qualifying, I think it tends to be boring, but I don't think it's a bad idea to give sprint qualy its own different flavour.

Maybe only the top 10 for Q3? 10th in Q2 goes first, then 9th in Q2 etc. To speed things up, you start your outlap as soon as the previous driver starts his hotlap.

That used to happen back in 2003-2005. Now granted there were slightly larger gaps for ad breaks on TV, but it still took a whole hour to do 20 drivers. A top 10 shootout is still best part of half an hour, which is about as long as the sprint race itself.

#16 tyker

tyker

• 1,289 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 14:33

I know what you are thinking, “great, another unnecessary thread about changing stuff in F1… this 4-week break is taking too long”
Take a deep breath pal, this one might find some consensus.

So, let's get down to business:

It seems that Sprint races and Sprint Shootouts are here to stay, so let’s make them the best they can be. User JimmyClark pointed out in another thread that while the regular Qualifying isn’t broken, the Sprint Shootout could be improved with a single-lap attempt. I immediately thought it was a brilliant idea, and I thought many others would agree, that’s why I added the poll.

The core of the new Sprint Shootout would be:
  • 1 single lap attempt per driver.
  • The starting order is determined by the world championship standings (the leader goes first). This adds a bit of unfairness and unpredictability, which is never well-received in this forum, but let’s think it’s only for the Sprint race, plus it’s only track-evolution benefit, we’re not weighing down anyone's car or anything like that.

Benefits of this format: 
  • It’s a distinct format from Qualifying. A Sprint Shootout deserves its own identity, something shorter, faster.
  • We can get to see ALL drivers in TV during a push lap.
  • It’s a true Sprint Shootout. Mistakes are punished.
  • It adds excitement and can shake up the Sprint race grid (as I said, not ideal for some, but it's only a little bit of unfairness).
  • It highlights true one-lap talent. Pressure is on!

So yeah, there it goes. What y'all think? :wave:

I've got to agree because that exact format was my idea.  :lol:

#17 mirrorboy

mirrorboy

• 76 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 14:38

I don’t think the sprint race qualifying should take over twice as long as the race itself.

The current Sprint Shootout is actually longer than the Sprint race itself, with the Shootout lasting 40 minutes and the race around 30 minutes.

I don’t think the session length is an issue as long as on-track action is good, but I agree that we shouldn’t exceed the 45-minute mark for a Sprint Shootout.

One solution could be sending drivers out every 2 minutes, which would ensure the session wraps up in under 45 minutes. Plus, the first driver out would be the only one not to encounter a car on its in-lap (little compensation for going first). Also, there should be no problem in every driver having to let 1 car through while they go back to pits.

Edited by mirrorboy, 14 October 2024 - 14:46.

#18 tyker

tyker

• 1,289 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 14:38

So how do you negate massive track evolution like Baku?  How do you negate something like the 5th car crashing and covering the racing line in debris and oil? Why should some people be penalised for track conditions in a wet/dry session?  There are too many variables, you may as well pick a number out of a hat and that be your starting position.

At least the drivers are having to earn the right to be on pole position unlike a reverse grid or as you bring up just picking the starting position out of a hat.

#19 tyker

tyker

• 1,289 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 14:42

I see what you mean but it replaces 2 hours of practice with 30 minutes of qualifying then a 30 minute race, less is more?

Advertisement

#20 tyker

tyker

• 1,289 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 14:43

I still can't stand the sprint and wish it would just vanish. That's my feelings on it and I just can't warm to them no matter how much Domenicali tells me I like it

It's frustrating because I believe most people don't like it, it feels like an attempt to brainwash.

#21 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,210 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 14:44

I see what you mean but it replaces 2 hours of practice with 30 minutes of qualifying then a 30 minute race, less is more?

That’s replacing 0 hours of competitive running with an hour of competitive running. Thats a win for me.

#22 tyker

tyker

• 1,289 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 14:45

This was always my preferred option, because it also saves tyres.

But the best solution is to revamp the format. Make the Sprint a seperate championship, give points for Qualifying and then do a reverse grid Sprint race afterwards. Points for both, gaurentees action and it doesn't impact the main event.

Good point about the tyres, I'm sure that it then gives them less tyres for actual qualifying.

#23 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 999 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 14:52

Yes, but championship leader goes last. 

Absolutely, else the jeopardy in terms of who is on pole is likely done after the first 6 or so drivers. It needs to build up as the session develops rather than waiting to see where the Saubers end up (with respect to Sauber, of course).

But otherwise, 100% in favour of single lap qualifying for the sprint. The current system isn't great for the reasons others have mentioned (the session is longer than the race, and is basically identical to proper qualifying).

#24 tyker

tyker

• 1,289 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 14:54

That’s replacing 0 hours of competitive running with an hour of competitive running. Thats a win for me.

For me it shortens the time I see cars on the track for something I don't care about, MotoGP has sprint races but still has plenty of practice time, it's what you might call a build up to the weekend, building up the excitement, but no we have a sprint race which then might give you an idea of what to expect the day after.

#25 tyker

tyker

• 1,289 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 15:01

Absolutely, else the jeopardy in terms of who is on pole is likely done after the first 6 or so drivers. It needs to build up as the session develops rather than waiting to see where the Saubers end up (with respect to Sauber, of course).

But otherwise, 100% in favour of single lap qualifying for the sprint. The current system isn't great for the reasons others have mentioned (the session is longer than the race, and is basically identical to proper qualifying).

I mentioned that in another thread which may prevent the reverse qualifying happening in the first place, by doing what you mention then you give even more advantage to faster cars, you're less likely to get any surprises so you're back to the sprint qualifying being more than likely a copy of the GP qualifying in terms of results.. 

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,210 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 15:07

For me it shortens the time I see cars on the track for something I don't care about, MotoGP has sprint races but still has plenty of practice time, it's what you might call a build up to the weekend, building up the excitement, but no we have a sprint race which then might give you an idea of what to expect the day after.

I tend to find those who pay that much attention to the practice sessions will have even more of an idea of what to expect the day after, yet it doesn’t bother them.

#27 mhno1f

mhno1f

• 72 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 15:43

In principal single shot reverse order works well. But unless it's variable weather (wet->dry), then by the time you get into "Formula B" - everybody will turn off.  Finding out which Sauber is going to be last isn't exactly an exciting conclusion.

#28 pdac

pdac

• 18,159 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 15:49

I voted 'other' - because my change would be to get rid of it and if it stays, I really don't care how it's organised (I won't bother with it anyway)

#29 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 999 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 15:55

I mentioned that in another thread which may prevent the reverse qualifying happening in the first place, by doing what you mention then you give even more advantage to faster cars, you're less likely to get any surprises so you're back to the sprint qualifying being more than likely a copy of the GP qualifying in terms of results.. 

Genuine question - in what way does going last advantage the faster cars? I would assume you mean the extra rubber being put down, but this would surely be negligible from each car having done one lap prior?

Negligible in terms of in regular qualifying, there would have been ~80 flying laps completed by the time the final runs happen (20x2, 15x2, 10x1 = 80) whereas here we're talking 15-19 for the top guys. I don't think it would impact particularly? Particularly say Verstappen having one more lap of rubber being put down vs Norris, vs the other way around.

I'm not sure how a follow that this system would give the same results as regular qualifying. Drivers having no build-up to their ultimate lap (ie no sighters in Q1, Q2 etc) and no opportunity to atone for an error or time deletion would surely lead to a greater variation in results to regular qualifying than doing the exact same format?

#30 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,210 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 16:00

Genuine question - in what way does going last advantage the faster cars? I would assume you mean the extra rubber being put down, but this would surely be negligible from each car having done one lap prior?

Negligible in terms of in regular qualifying, there would have been ~80 flying laps completed by the time the final runs happen (20x2, 15x2, 10x1 = 80) whereas here we're talking 15-19 for the top guys. I don't think it would impact particularly? Particularly say Verstappen having one more lap of rubber being put down vs Norris, vs the other way around.

I'm not sure how a follow that this system would give the same results as regular qualifying. Drivers having no build-up to their ultimate lap (ie no sighters in Q1, Q2 etc) and no opportunity to atone for an error or time deletion would surely lead to a greater variation in results to regular qualifying than doing the exact same format?

With the fine margins of a close field is it noticeable. Happened more than a couple of times in 2003-2005. For example, in 2005 when Kimi went early because of a retirement in the previous race, then Montoya would be on pole.

#31 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,461 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:25

You could make a compromise solution and have the the championship leader go 11th. So 20th to 11th in championship order would qualify first, then after that 1st to 10th. That way, we wouldn't have to wait until Saubers. And also in theory you couldn't manipulate the system the same way

This already sort of happens in IBSF sliding competitions, the championship leader's first heat run is placed mid-pack in order to prevent them running always in either the crappiest or best of conditions.

Edited by LolaB0860, Yesterday, 14:26.

#32 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,785 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:37

Even if I liked the idea of manipulating formats to create excitement, the opening post's proposal doesn't. It proposes to send out the championship leader first, i.e. the most likely pole setter. Whereas the current format does build excitement towards the end, as times tumble and the real contenders battle it out.

#33 MattK9

MattK9

• 854 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:17

Yes.

Champ leaders goes first to mix up the grid.

I would also like to see the time gap between quali and the race be as short as possible. Like quali and race all happens within an hour.

#34 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 13,968 posts

Posted Today, 00:10

Then just randomize the grid. Why pretend something else?