Photo

Dan Gurney’s parents

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,764 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 15:44

I knew Dan’s father had been a professional opera singer, but knew very little about his parents otherwise. The link below fills in some of the details. Thanks to Harry Hurst who unearthed it for his ‘Glory Days of Racing’ Facebook group.

Oberlin’s Golden Couple: Roma and John Gurney

Advertisement

#2 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,560 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 16:13

Fabulous insights into how Dan became Dan.

Nothing like such creative influences to make a kid think entirely out of wherever today’s box thinks it is.

Thanks Tim.

#3 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,541 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 17:40

The entries on FindAGrave:
Roma Gurney (10 Nov 1902 - 05 Jan 1997)
John Gurney (13 Jun 1902 - 06 Aug 1997)

He also sang the national anthem at the inaugural Long Beach Grand Prix and at other racing events featuring his son Dan Gurney.

Dan Gurney (13 Apr 1931 - 14 Jan 2018)

Edited by ReWind, 14 October 2024 - 17:40.

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,702 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 18:25

Wonderful.  When asked, Dan would speak very fondly of his parents.  During his frontline career he was of course exceptionally good at not speaking very much at all (as he once said "in case you give anything away your rivals could use to advantage * ) - yet still always came across as a really pleasant, proper and nice guy.

*Learned largely from Jack Brabham's example.

Here are Dan and his parents at Le Mans '62.

temp-Image-S5-FKCM.jpeg

Photo: Revs Digital Library/Al Bochroch

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 14 October 2024 - 18:30.

#5 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 479 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 18:33

I knew Dan’s father had been a professional opera singer, but knew very little about his parents otherwise. The link below fills in some of the details. Thanks to Harry Hurst who unearthed it for his ‘Glory Days of Racing’ Facebook group.

Oberlin’s Golden Couple: Roma and John Gurney

Interesting thread!    It looks like John Gurney had an extensive career at the Metropolitan Opera, the most prominent opera company in the United States:

https://archives.met...q="John Gurney"

#6 BRG

BRG

• 26,718 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:11

Intriguing.  So many drivers parents were competitors themselves or they come from the automotive world as drivers, or mechanics or garage owners etc.  Quite a few come from farming backgrounds.  In these cases early exposure to mechanical stuff has a major influence.  

But the musical world seems so far from motor sport as to be almost mutually incompatible.  Do we know of any others coming from a similar parental background?

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,764 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:35

Now we can hear John Gurney sing! (Once past the introductory waffle):

https://youtu.be/Z8H...q5Eby8jKcQ1qwry

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,702 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:44

Hmmm - to be honest, I'd far rather be listening to Dan talk...

DCN

#9 funformula

funformula

• 524 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:45

Do we know of any others coming from a similar parental background?

Adrian Sutil´s parents both are professional musicians.

#10 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,898 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:37

Rick Parfitt Jr ?

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 81,217 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:03

Originally posted by BRG
.....But the musical world seems so far from motor sport as to be almost mutually incompatible.....

Yet writers note the 'rhythm' in a driver's manner of stringing perfect laps together...

And the sound of the right car on the right lap can be true music to our ears.

#12 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,560 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:39

I agree with Ray, and personally have found all creative pursuits to be identical in process — but simply using different tools.

One would never think mountaineering is similar to race driving, either, but to me they are nearly identical in execution.

#13 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,702 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:39

As in teetering upon the precipice?  I appreciate your point...

DCN

#14 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,287 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:20

One would never think mountaineering is similar to race driving, either, but to me they are nearly identical in execution.

Ukyo Katayama moved on to (serious) mountaineering after he'd finished with Grand Prix racing (or, perhaps rather, when racing had finished with him).

#15 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,560 posts

Posted Today, 00:01

I heard that… somewhere along the line.

As in teetering upon the precipice? I appreciate your point...

DCN

This is hard to explain…

If listed in order of first sold job, my career path starts were journo (14) -> mostly bad photos to go with somewhat-reasonable journoing (15th birthday) > helmet painting leading to race car painting (15) > hand-painted lettering (much of it race cars) and pinstriping, on anything (16) > pen and ink logos, illustrations, hand-stripped type and art for publishing (21) > scrapping and reinventing most of above on computer (28) > wilderness, racing, and travel photography for publishing and advertising (31) > almost all but brush and ink work continued perpetually (1975 to Present).

Damn, that really was hard…

What all these disparate creative functions showed in the end was that the thought process, the pre-envisioning, the nearly out-of-body mindset while immersed in the task (uncluttered by in-the-moment thoughts), the invariable improvements as fit, the work ethic, the proper music for the moment, everything — to me — is a nearly-identical pursuit.

I found the same mindsets making it much easier to quickly grasp karting, and not fall off mountains despite constant forces trying to yank us off (Rule 1: They. Don’t. Care.)

I highly suspect the music processes are also “the same,” as reported by my longtime musician friends. Only the tools and the end, physical form are different. Many won’t get my philosophies, and that’s okay. :-)

I will add that the ever-spreading infection of Science into my Art(s) is really chapping my hide at an increasing rate. It’s like growing grapes for fine wine just to end up making crappy energy drinks.

#16 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 366 posts

Posted Today, 06:47

As someone who briefly indulged in FFord, albeit with limited effect, and who regularly performs music professionally, I can vouch for the similarities. Although most of my regular musical performing nowadays takes place well within my comfort zone, there are times when e.g. I have to conduct a performance with limited rehearsal time, with perhaps a scratch professional orchestra of freelance players.

The pre-race / pre-performance nerves are much the same, and the amazing adrenaline rush once the race / performance starts is very similar, as are the levels of intense concentration required, which also make you feel very alive and aware of the moment.

Likewise the elation when it's over (especially if it went well), tinged with a slight sadness that the rest of the day/evening will be exceptionally mundane!

I'm sure this is the same for any activity requiring a great deal of skill and preparation. The main difference for me now is, if I make a small mistake I don't end up thumping a barrier...