Photo
- - - - -

Who had the best car in 2024 so far?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Who had the best car in 2024? (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Who had the edge so far?

1. McLaren (35 votes [60.34%])

Percentage of vote: 60.34%

2. Red Bull (23 votes [39.66%])

Percentage of vote: 39.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andreas93

Andreas93

• 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 18:07

Recently McLaren have overwhelmed Red Bull to become the benchmark of the grid but looking at the overall picture of 2024, who do you think had the best car?

I haven't bothered to look up things in great detail, but the pecking order was like this for me I think. 

First four races: Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, Merc. Red Bull dominant like in 2023.

In China McLaren jumped Ferrari but were still quite a long way off Red Bull. Merc fourth best still.

Miami-Austria: McLaren and Red Bull were evenly matched in Miami, Imola, Canada, Spain. Red Bull quicker in Austria, McLaren in Monaco. Ferrari was the surprise top team of Monaco and Merc surprisingly competitive in Canada, at least in the dry. 

Silverstone-currently: McLaren the best overall, dominant at Hungary, Holland and Singapore, competitive everywhere else. Red Bull only fourth best in Italy, third best in Silverstone and Baku, second best in Hungary, Zandvoort and Singapore, only the quickest in Belgium but neutralized by the grid penalty. Merc probably the quickest in Silverstone and competitive in Belgium, Ferrari the best in Baku and possibly in Italy (race trim at least), otherwise these two were a bit off the top two.

So overall, I'd say it's still pretty even over the course of the season between Red Bull and McLaren, but if things stay as they are by the end McLaren should have a clear edge.

Edited by Andreas93, 14 October 2024 - 18:47.

Advertisement

#2 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,742 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 19:51

RB. The only reason they are behind in the WCC is because of PER.

#3 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 5,011 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 21:50

First half RB. Second half McLaren.

#4 Andreas93

Andreas93

• 8 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:23

RB. The only reason they are behind in the WCC is because of PER.

Well, people have been saying for a while that he will cost them a WCC in the future, and here we are.

#5 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 6,225 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:59

Red Bull was the dominant car in the first half of the season. They have lost their dominance from the second half of the season and packing order was changing among four different teams depending on the circuit layout and weather conditions. McLaren has had the advantage of being the most consistent team. They have always been there or thereabouts from Miami GP onwards.

Edited by Mc_Silver, Yesterday, 07:37.

#6 jonklug

jonklug

• 2,161 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:39

Red Bull was the dominant car up until Miami. McLaren have been better since. Quite simple to do the math and answer the question. 

#7 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,210 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:43

On balance it’s been Red Bull. From fully dominant in the early races to still being in contention for wins and podiums for the remainder so far.

In the early season McLaren weren’t as strong as Red Bull have been throughout, and since Miami they haven’t been as dominant as Red Bull were on a consistent basis. But I think they could tip the balance in the remaining races.

If Red Bull had a lineup as strong as McLaren, they’d still be leading the WCC.

#8 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,648 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:16

Red Bull was the dominant car in the first half of the season. They have lost their dominance from the second half of the season and packing order was changing among four different teams depending on the circuit layout and weather conditions. McLaren has had the advantage of being the most consistent team. They have always been there or thereabouts from Miami GP onwards.

I think the RBR was dominant for the first quarter of the season, not half. I mean since late May / June the McLaren has been the better car overall and has dominated more races than the others.

#9 Raest

Raest

• 1,262 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:18

McLaren.

They should be leading both championships with a bit more luck and quite a bit more competence. 

Edited by Raest, Yesterday, 09:18.

#10 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,940 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:21

I don't think we should put too much emphasis on how dominant Red Bull was in the early races. Yes, the gap to the next big car was often big but there's only so many points you can gain over 4 races (the 5th one was a mechanical DNF for Verstappen, so hardly what constitutes a better car when McLaren had 100% reliability so far).

If Verstappen was driving the McLaren and Norris the Red Bull, I think there's a good chance that Verstappen would still be leading the WDC at this point. I don't think any other driver takes 3 race wins between Imola and Spain in that Red Bull.

#11 B38

B38

• 1,025 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:00

McLaren already had the best car in the second half of last season, but Norris performed poorly, it was rookie Piastri who had to do the main fighting to VER. And that VER won in the end was not because Red Bull had a the better car, but was still a very good car with probably the best driver of the grid vs a better car driven by a rookie.

This season Norris finaly has stepped up his game, sure, he still makes mistakes, has poor race starts, he isn't the best defender or overtaker but at least his race pace is now good enough and on average above that of his still inexperienced teammate. And now he has by far the best car on the grid, he will win race after race aslong he doesn't make mistakes and finish in front of his teammate.

However swap McLaren driver pairing with the drivers of RedBull, Mercedes or Ferrari and McLaren would be leading in both the WCC and WDC.

#12 messy

messy

• 7,903 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:18

This is a cop-out answer really but I think it's impossible to tell. How much of Red Bull's ground effect superiority has been the car being better, how much of it has been Max being better and how do those two things balance out? Open question really, I don't know the answer.

But I wouldn't be shocked if the correct answer was that McLaren had been the best car for most of 2024, and Max has been the one making the difference. They've certainly developed it into the best package now, they're leading the WCC and Lando making inroads in the WDC. I'd certainly take the McLaren right now.

#13 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,714 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:15

Since Miami, the McLaren has certainly been the best balanced car/easiest to get performance out of. Max and Red Bull (operationally) have been the better package which has accounted for a lot of the results in their favour between Imola-summer break period. During that period, I’d say the cars were similarly paced, but the Red Bull was way more sensitive. Basically, most drivers would probably be more in a Perez-situation with it.

The McLaren is basically dominant at high downforce tracks like Hungary/Zaandvoort/Singapore though.

#14 TheFish

TheFish

• 7,300 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:37

It’s close but I’d say McLaren, just. When RB had the best car it was the best car by miles. Now McLaren has the best car and has for a while but it’s close enough that any small mistakes will cost them wins. They’ve now had the best car for longer though, so them, just.

Max is a much better driver than Lando, hence the huge points gap.

#15 Andreas93

Andreas93

• 8 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:10

It’s close but I’d say McLaren, just. When RB had the best car it was the best car by miles. Now McLaren has the best car and has for a while but it’s close enough that any small mistakes will cost them wins. They’ve now had the best car for longer though, so them, just.

Max is a much better driver than Lando, hence the huge points gap.

Interesting actually that most people who commented here bring up Max being a much better driver than Lando and I would agree that he maximized his opportunities better overall, though he also made his fair share of errors this year already.

When I think about it I think the main reason for this is actually not Max, or even Lando but Perez, since Perez is struggling so much he inevitable makes Max look very very good, almost like a demigod, the gift of an underperforming teammate I guess :rotfl:

#16 Nathan

Nathan

• 8,469 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:36

I think McLaren.  They are faster now, more consistent, and can get both drivers performing well.

#17 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,204 posts

Posted Yesterday, 13:49

McLaren since Miami, switch drivers and the same one would be leading the WDC.

#18 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,494 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:44

McLaren, and it's honestly not even close any longer. The longer period of having a better car was for a long time equalized by Red Bull being utterly dominant in the races they were better and McLaren was only third quickest at the time (all early in the season), but now McLaren had these kind of races too while Red Bull is in those races 3rd or 4th quickest at times.

#19 Andreas93

Andreas93

• 8 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:29

McLaren, and it's honestly not even close any longer. The longer period of having a better car was for a long time equalized by Red Bull being utterly dominant in the races they were better and McLaren was only third quickest at the time (all early in the season), but now McLaren had these kind of races too while Red Bull is in those races 3rd or 4th quickest at times.

Interesting thoughts. At which events were McLaren better in your view?

Advertisement

#20 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 34,823 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:13

This is by no means a perfect method, and some weekends (Canada, Silverstone, Spa) are really hard to call, but:

Spoiler

Avg: RB 2.11, McL 1.83

A few tweaks and it could swing the other way, but I have marginal McLaren.

Edited by TomNokoe, Yesterday, 21:16.

#21 flyboym3

flyboym3

• 2,243 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:28

Redbull but season is not over yet still 6 races to go, if it carries on like this then I'd say McLaren.

I think Perez is clouding peoples judgement to date. If redbull had a driver other than Perez, Stroll or Sargeant they'd still be winning the constructors rather than having just let go of it.

Perez has been so bad I think you need 2 hands to count how many times he cannot get out of Q1.

#22 P123

P123

• 24,897 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:33

Red Bull was solidly the best the first five races and has been competitive at many more.  Should have won Austria too.  McLaren have had a better car than Red Bull over a greater number of races, but maybe not quite to the extent that Red Bull enjoyed early season, with Ferrari and Merc sticking their noses in from time to time too.  They have blown a few races through strategy, so Red Bull remains the better team, whereas McLaren maybe sneaks it as the better car so far.  

#23 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 13,968 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:01

Red Bull was solidly the best the first five races and has been competitive at many more.  Should have won Austria too.  McLaren have had a better car than Red Bull over a greater number of races, but maybe not quite to the extent that Red Bull enjoyed early season, with Ferrari and Merc sticking their noses in from time to time too.  They have blown a few races through strategy, so Red Bull remains the better team, whereas McLaren maybe sneaks it as the better car so far.  

Do you consider Australia as a track where Red Bull was the stronger car? Even if Max did not finish?