FIA takes action in US over suspicions of latest Parc Ferme ‘trick’

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,100 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:01

https://www.motorspo...rpnuFSV-.WA7V6T

the suspicions that have erupted are that a team has designed its car in such a way that it was possible to adjust the clearance of the front bib – also known as a T-tray – through a change of settings inside the cockpit.

This alteration in theory could be easily done by a mechanic during the regular car assessment work that is undertaken between qualifying and the race, and would be undetected to outside observers.

‘Growing suspiciouns’ that ‘One unidentified team’ apparently suspected of benefitting from this latest F1 ‘trick’…

Latest bit of intrigue, who’s the clever/naughty team?

Advertisement

#2 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,374 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:05

Name and shame otherwise the whole bloody show looks suss!

#3 JL14

JL14

• 955 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:08

Time to speculate which team it is  :p

Suspicion that have erupted are that a team has designed its car in such a way that it was possible to adjust the clearance of the front bib – also known as a T-tray – through a change of settings inside the cockpit.

FIA acts for US GP on suspicions over front bib parc ferme trick (motorsport.com)

Bit of contradicting statements though:

- It is understood teams have been alerted to the possibility of this happening through the design details of all cars needing to be uploaded to FIA servers on open-source components – which all competitors have access to.

- The FIA says they have not received any indication of any team employing such a system

Edited by JL14, Yesterday, 06:08.

#4 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 13,991 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:31

It’s obviously Sauber

#5 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,475 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:33

Time to speculate which team it is :p

Suspicion that have erupted are that a team has designed its car in such a way that it was possible to adjust the clearance of the front bib – also known as a T-tray – through a change of settings inside the cockpit.
FIA acts for US GP on suspicions over front bib parc ferme trick (motorsport.com)

Bit of contradicting statements though:
- It is understood teams have been alerted to the possibility of this happening through the design details of all cars needing to be uploaded to FIA servers on open-source components – which all competitors have access to.
- The FIA says they have not received any indication of any team employing such a system

Some of this doesn't make sense. Surely the teams can't access design files of other teams on the FIA server? That seems insane.

Personally, I don't see the issue with having such a device. I remember Red Bull had a system to adjust ride height during the Vettel era that would have been similar.

When does Parc Ferme end? Race start? Or when they leave the pits for the grid?

#6 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,100 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:34

It’s obviously Sauber

Adjusting it the wrong way? :lol:

#7 JL14

JL14

• 955 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:35

Some of this doesn't make sense. Surely the teams can't access design files of other teams on the FIA server? That seems insane.

Personally, I don't see the issue with having such a device. I remember Red Bull had a system to adjust ride height during the Vettel era that would have been similar.

Open-source components they all have access to

#8 pUs

pUs

• 2,984 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:54

Will be a bit interesting to see if it affects the pecking order. I know what I suspect, but let's see how it all pans out. :)

Edited by pUs, Yesterday, 06:54.

#9 Broekschaap

Broekschaap

• 1,233 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:55

Race start (see 40.2 of the sporting regulations: Each car will be deemed to be in parc ferme from the time at which it leaves the pit lane for
the first time during the qualifying session until the start of the race.)

Like JL14 said they all have access to the open source components. This is in 17.6.2 of the technical regulations: For all OSC in use by all Competitors, the Design Specification must reside on a designated server specified by the FIA, and be accessible by all Competitors.

There is a list in appendix 5

#10 macjim

macjim

• 180 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:04

My aren't they naughty little scamps!

#11 thefinalapex

thefinalapex

• 4,141 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:08

Curious wich team used it but we probably will never find out. I am no technical expert but how much performance gain is there to be had with such a trick?

#12 BobbyRicky

BobbyRicky

• 1,575 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:10

It’s obviously Sauber

At this point the FIA should feed SauberKickAlfa info so that they can break any rule they want so that they can finish in the top 15 atleast once.

Its going to be interesting to see which of the top 4 teams are going to have a sudden drop in performance this weekend attributed to non-working upgrades or setup-errors.

#13 jonklug

jonklug

• 2,175 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:13

F1 is truly back baby! Break over, finally!

#14 Beri

Beri

• 13,111 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:13

As said in the Buildup Thread.. This is plain cheating. Not even bending the rules but cold and hard cheating.

#15 jonklug

jonklug

• 2,175 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:16

As said in the Buildup Thread.. This is plain cheating. Not even bending the rules but cold and hard cheating.

Yep, but they need proof that it happened, and since they didn't monitor it and just suspect it, sounds like they'll get away with it if they don't do it again. 

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,247 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:29

Sounds like the stay that holds the front of the bib just protruded into the cockpit with a screw adjuster. I guess it would be that simple.

#17 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,477 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:32

I guess this would mainly affect qualifying performance, as they'll need to raise the height a bit for the race. So let's see which team does worse in qualifying now!

#18 Beri

Beri

• 13,111 posts

Sounds like the stay that holds the front of the bib just protruded into the cockpit with a screw adjuster. I guess it would be that simple.

If so, then no one noticed at Parc Ferme a screw driver being used in the cockpit? I think there is camera coverage enough in Parc Ferme to confirm this.

#19 frosty125

frosty125

• 1,267 posts

I hope no one was actually doing this.

Advertisement

#20 frosty125

frosty125

• 1,267 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:33

If so, then no one noticed at Parc Ferme a screw driver being used in the cockpit? I think there is camera coverage enough in Parc Ferme to confirm this.

Tooless adjuster would make more sense.

#21 Beri

Beri

• 13,111 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:34

But that would then appear at scrutineering. A screw adjuster looks like a normal screw and would pass scrutineering.

Edit; thats my take that normal looking screws will not raise questions.

Edited by Beri, Yesterday, 08:35.

#22 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 12,432 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:37

Maybe the driver needed his 'belts' to be adjusted?

#23 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,085 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:40

I'll take just 50p GBP every time a team does something in F1 that fans start calling cheat. 

#24 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,247 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:42

Probably just would require some sort of knob to twiddle.

Just guessing here. Doesn’t seem like anyone has been caught doing anything.

#25 Beri

Beri

• 13,111 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:45

Maybe the driver needed his 'belts' to be adjusted?

Probably just would require some sort of knob to twiddle.

Just guessing here. Doesn’t seem like anyone has been caught doing anything.

I wonder if we get a full explanation on what was discovered. Because this guessing of us makes me wonder how this works.

I'll take just 50p GBP every time a team does something in F1 that fans start calling cheat. 

But in this case, it is cheating if true. There is no flexi wing grey area here. This is simply something that the rules prohibit. Making it genuine cheating.

#26 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,085 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:48

I wonder if we get a full explanation on what was discovered. Because this guessing of us makes me wonder how this works.

But in this case, it is cheating if true. There is no flexi wing grey area here. This is simply something that the rules prohibit. Making it genuine cheating.

For another 0.25p add in 'not in the spirit of the rules'  :up:

#27 MattK9

MattK9

• 855 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:53

And if you hit a drain cover like Sainz did at Vegas, that stay would be propelled into the cockpit with lethal force!

#28 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,247 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:55

And if you hit a drain cover like Sainz did at Vegas, that stay would be propelled into the cockpit with lethal force!

You’d engineer it to break rather than drive up through into the cockpit, though it would be level with the driver’s legs I suppose.

#29 DJH63

DJH63

• 479 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:09

I guess this would mainly affect qualifying performance, as they'll need to raise the height a bit for the race. So let's see which team does worse in qualifying now!

It affects both as you can have optimal ride height for both rather than having to commit to a compromise ahead of qualifying.

#30 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 12,432 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:10

Didn't RBR get found to have the facility to possibly adjust something on the front end by hand (ie potentially in parc ferme) when it was required in the regs to only have adjustment via a tool? IIRC nothing really came of it, as it couldn't be shown to have been used illegally.

This seems a similar situation? Is it specifically prohibited to be able to adjust the bib height via the cockpit area, or is it more the fact that the potential is there to do it in parc ferme conditions? If the latter, I guess unless they can prove they have done so then nothing more will probably come of it - although perhaps the team involved will be told to alter the height adjustment mechanism to remove the possibility...

Edit: yes jcbc3 posted about it in the USGP build up thread

We've been there before: https://www.grandpri...ontroversy.html

And that was deemed 'not cheating, but change the car for next race'. For consistency let's hope that's the same outcome here.

Edited by krapmeister, Yesterday, 09:13.

#31 Broekschaap

Broekschaap

• 1,233 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:11

I want pictures of mechanics diving head first into the cockpit with only legs visible on the outside! (on a more serious note: wouldn't camera's have picked up any strange behaviour if the lever/screw is deep into the cockpit).

#32 jacdaniel

jacdaniel

• 1,834 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:22

People always blame Red Bull but they’ve been so bad this season that I very much doubt they’re using any tricks!

#33 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,477 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:29

It affects both as you can have optimal ride height for both rather than having to commit to a compromise ahead of qualifying.

My thinking was that this would be mainly concerning the plank wear, no? Where with a heaver load you need to ride a bit higher, and that's not something you can really compromise on? 

#34 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,424 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:39

I am more suspicious of 2 teams:

1. McLaren, simply because they have a rocketship that has gained an insane amount of laptime this season over every other team.

2. Mercedes, they are often the car that is running the lowest on saturday so I'd say they may be using it to be more aggressive in quali.

But we'll see, it's also possible we may never know or that is all smoke.

Edited by Joseki, Yesterday, 09:40.

#35 sterlingfan2000

sterlingfan2000

• 290 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:59

My bet is Ferrari.

I remember Zac Brown saying they take their Rear wing off but FIA should investigate this other team, they are doing something not right.

#36 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 2,171 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:16

I'll laugh my head off if it's Red Bull... they'll be behind Sauber come end of the season

#37 Ste678

Ste678

• 45 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:32

Having such a system would mean getting a car that works almost perfect under all conditions?

Wonder which team that might be :lol: :smoking:

#38 hamalo

hamalo

• 123 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:21

My best bet is Redbull, especially last year the difference in Quali between them and others was often minimal, and in the Races the Gaps were so huge that no one could explain it themselves really. But we will never find out officially, let's wait and see who does worse suddenly.

It's such a shame that those things are always thrown under the bus and they wanna sell us some stupid excuse or precaution.  :drunk:

#39 Showty

Showty

• 2,268 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:23

Having such a system would mean getting a car that works almost perfect under all conditions?
Wonder which team that might be :lol: :smoking:

Not necessarily perfect.

Not even better than other cars.

Just in the best possible condition that car can work.

Advertisement

#40 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 18,469 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:29

I'll laugh my head off if it's Red Bull... they'll be behind Sauber come end of the season

Verstappen finished 2nd last race and Perez was in his usual position.

#41 Miles749

Miles749

• 595 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:30

Would this effect depend a lot depending on the track? One some tracks it is more important to change ride height while on others it is less important?

If so, this could point to who was using it. 

#42 Miles749

Miles749

• 595 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:36

Another thought. On tracks where the race pace is most important this team would be able to do both, get the best ride height for the race (good pace in race) and best ride height for the qualy (much better pace compared to other teams).

So maybe lets look for a team that did really well in qualy on a track where race pace is critical (easy to overtake). 

Azerbaijan - Ferrari P1 and P3.

Belgium - Ferrari P2, Red Bull P1 and P3. 

Edited by Miles749, Yesterday, 11:40.

#43 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 34,828 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:37

It's a strange story considering we don't know the team, or if they're even using the mystery device. For all we know it could be totally benign. Let's see this weekend.

#44 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,948 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:49

My best bet is Redbull, especially last year the difference in Quali between them and others was often minimal, and in the Races the Gaps were so huge that no one could explain it themselves really. But we will never find out officially, let's wait and see who does worse suddenly.
It's such a shame that those things are always thrown under the bus and they wanna sell us some stupid excuse or precaution. :drunk:

The effect would be the other way, better in Q than in R.

Anyway, who remembers the last team being caught with a plank too thin ?

#45 Miles749

Miles749

• 595 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:16

Plank too thin should be easier to avoid with this trick. Run low as you like in qualy and then raise it up for the race.

#46 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,948 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:20

That's the point, yes.

If you have the trick but forget to raise it in parc fermé, you're too low

Without the trick, you have a higher car in Q

Edited by Stephane, Yesterday, 12:21.

#47 hamalo

hamalo

• 123 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:24

It can be both ways, others set their cars up for Quali and suffer in the Race while you could change your ride height to help your Race Setup.

#48 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 1,150 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:31

Mclaren Fanboy!

Hahaha, funny! NOT!!

#49 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,948 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:33

It can be both ways, others set their cars up for Quali and suffer in the Race while you could change your ride height to help your Race Setup.

Not sure you understand what happens here.

Either you have the 'trick' and can lower your car in Q or you don't.

The advantage is seen in q

#50 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 4,830 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:54

Sounds like Mercedes (in recent races)