Photo

Senna's crash at Hockenheim in 1991

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ilferrari

ilferrari

• 179 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:30

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Senna's serious crash at Hockenheim in 1991? Apparently he cartwheeled through the first chicane and was taken to hospital.

Senna injured at Hockenheim

Senna to compete at German Grand Prix despite crash

The spokeswomen said Senna was travelling at 198 mph when the McLaren's rear tire punctured and as a result the right front wheel left the ground. With only two wheels on the ground, Senna had been unable to bring the car to a halt. The McLaren Honda went 15 feet into the air and was destroyed in the crash.

'After the crash I might have been unconscious momentarily, but I left the car on my own and took my helmet off,' said Senna, whose participation for the race probably was not endangered by the crash.

'Senna went five meters (16 feet) up in the air just in front of me, ' said Jordan-Ford driver Andrea de Cesaris of Italy.

Image139948.jpg

Advertisement

#2 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 13,731 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:33

Article says second chicane. Old Ostkurve?

The 31-year-old South American overturned several times in his McLaren Honda in the second chicane of the course, just 10 minutes before the end of the test drives in preparation for the July 28 race.

#3 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,541 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:51

For reference, Érik Comas crashed at the Ostkurve chicane during the Grand Prix weekend: https://youtu.be/8Uw...UIz2puZg0aT_jdG.