Photo

March 751 chassis conundrum ...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 595 posts

Posted 24 October 2024 - 12:28

I'd welcome any informed input into a conundrum that has been bothering me while I have been putting together the "statistics" section of Lella Lombardi's biography.

All contemporary reports and record state that Lella drove March chassis 751/2 from the 1975 Race of Champions to the French GP inclusive; she was then given 751/1 for the rest of the season while Hans-Joachim Stuck was allocated 751/2. 

However, we have the well-known story of the cracked bulkhead in Lella’s car which caused handling problems that she complained about, but which were ignored until Ronnie Peterson complained of the same problems in it and were only confirmed when the monocoque was stripped after his shunt in it in the 1976 Belgian GP. Records confirm that this was 761/3.

That problematic car was 751/2, which was shunted by Lella in practice at Monaco 1975 (this caused the damage to the bulkhead) and with which she struggled thereafter. Peterson’s 1976 mount was 761/3, which records confirm was built up around the tub of Lella’s old 1975 car.

751/2 was written off by Stuck in Austria 1975. So it couldn’t have been the base monocoque on which 761/3 was built. In any case, records confirm the original 761/3 was built up around the monocoque of 751/1. It was this monocoque that was later stripped and found to have the cracked rear bulkhead. 

Hans-Joachim Stuck tells me he never drove Lella’s car, and that he could not have done so anyway; he did not fit in it because he was too tall. His car had a higher roll hoop and the pedals were further away, beyond the adjustment point for Lella’s car.

So the only conclusion I can reach is that the chassis plates of 761/2 and 761/1 were swapped after the French Grand Prix, and the car that Lella drove from the British GP to the Italian GP (where she had another big shunt) was still the original 761/2. The car written off in Austria by Stuck was therefore actually 751/1.

A plausible reason for the swapping of the chassis plates might have been Mosley/Herd trying to persuade Lella that she had been given a different car, in response to her repeated complaints about the poor handling of her regular chassis.

It would also explain why her performances didn’t improve much when she  was given a “different” chassis, as she was actually in the same one she’d had all along.

Unfortunately, most of the protagonists here are gone; of those who remain, I have been trying for months to contact Keith Leighton, with no success and have just had a bounce back from Dave White's email saying it's no longer active. 

All informed comment would be much appreciated!

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 26,765 posts

Posted 24 October 2024 - 16:17

Not informed comment, but I would put my money on Mosley being economical with the truth.

#3 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,127 posts

Posted 24 October 2024 - 19:05

Jon, from the above it looks like you too are mixing up the 751s and the 761s! 

#4 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 595 posts

Posted 24 October 2024 - 19:16

Jon, from the above it looks like you too are mixing up the 751s and the 761s! 

Not in the least, Dan; three of the 761s were built from 751 tubs.

Sorry if it's looking complicated; in summary - 

751/2 was Lella's car for most of 1975. Official records show that from the British GP onwards she then had 751/1 for the rest of the year.

751/2 was written off by Stuck in Austria in 1975.

761/3 (the car used by Lella in Brazil 1976 and then by Peterson until Belgium 1976) was built around the monocoque of Lella's 1975 car.

The records show that 761/3 was built with the monocoque from 751/1.

However, when 761/3's tub was stripped after Peterson crashed it in Belgium in 1976, it was found to have the cracked rear bulkhead that resulted from Lella's shunt at Monaco in 1975.

That means it must have been the monocoque from 751/2, NOT from 751/1.

So the implication is that the chassis plates of 751/2 and 751/1 were swapped before the British GP.

Hope that makes sense!

Edited by Jon Saltinstall, 24 October 2024 - 19:17.

#5 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 806 posts

Posted 24 October 2024 - 20:04

After all my investigations, including many period magazines and some books, at present I have a slightly different set of numbers.
Including new cars that were issued with the chassis plate of the car they were replacing:

March 751-1:          Brambilla 75: ZA
March 751-1-2:       Lombardi 75: GB-NC, GB, D, A, I -> 761-3
March 751-2:          Lombardi 75: E, MC. 741-1 -> 751-4 used as backup tub for Lombardi, taken to meetings, crated up, later 761-5
March 751-2-2:       Lombardi 75: B, S, NL, F. Stuck 75: GB, D, A. Used as T-car by Brambilla 75: S, NL, F 
March 751-2-3 [6]: Stuck 75: I, USA. Used as T-car by Brambilla 75: USA -> 761-2
March 751-3:          Brambilla 75: E, MC, B, S, NL, F, GB, D, A, CH, I, USA. 751-3 severely damaged in practice! and cannibalised into '76 cars
March 751-4:          Donohue 75: GB, D, A, CH(DNA). 

March 761-1:          Brambilla 76: BR, ZA, ROTC, USAW, E, B, MC
March 761-1-2:       Brambilla 76: S, F, GB, D(DNS). 761-1-2 used the old 761-3 tub
March 761-1-3:       Brambilla 76: A. 761-1-3 built up from various bits and pieces from previous Brambilla crashes and tub no. 10
March 761-1-4:       Brambilla 76: NL, I, CDN, USA, J. Kozarowitzky 77: E(DNA), B(DNA), S, GB, D(DNA). Bleekemolen 77: NL. Also known as 761-11 or 761-8. 761B-B2 = ex 761-1-4 (=10)
March 761-2:          Stuck 76: BR, ZA, USAW, E, B, MC, S, F, GB, D, A, NL, I, CDN, USA, J. Brambilla 76: Int'l. 761-2 = ex751-6 (=2-3)
                               Lunger 77: ZA, USAW, E. 2-4-0-1 = ex 761-2
March 761-3:          Lombardi 76: BR. Peterson 76: ZA, USAW, E, B. 761-3 = ex751-1-2
March 761-3-2:       Peterson 76: MC, S, F, GB, D
March 761-3-3:       Peterson 76: A(DNS), NL(T), I(DNS). 761-3-3 is tub no. 8
                               Hayje 77: ZA, ROTC, E, MC, B, S, GB(DNA), A, NL. Sutcliffe 77: GB
March 761-4:          Merzario 76: USAW, E, B, MC
March 761-4-2:       Merzario 76: S, F, GB, D(DNA). Brambilla 76: D
March 761-4-3:       Oppitzhauser 76: A(RE). 761-4-3 = tub no. 9
                                De Drijver 77: GB
March 761-5:          Henton 77: ROTC, E, GB, A. De Drijver 77: B
March 761-6:          Peterson 76: D, A, NL, CDN, USA, J. 761-6 = tub no. 7. 761B-B1 = ex 761-6
March 761-7A:        Neve 77: E
March 761-7A2:      Neve 77: B, S, F, GB, D, A, NL, I, USA, CDN

I know there are a few inconcistencies in this list, but at the moment, with the sources I have, this is the best I can make of it.

Does it agree with your observations and conclusions?

Edited by Henk Vasmel, 24 October 2024 - 20:10.

#6 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 595 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:25

This is helpful, thanks Henk. What I will need to establish is whether all the cars that were given new names (e.g. 751-1-2 etc.) received completely new monocoques or were simply patched-up versions of existing ones. I guess there will be a mix of the two. I keep coming back to the theory that the underlying monocoque which had the (hidden) cracked rear bulkhead that created the handling problems that Lombardi and Peterson both described in exactly the same way must have been the same one, in some form or other; whether it was patched, repaired, rebadged, whatever!

#7 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 1,127 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:37

This is helpful, thanks Henk. What I will need to establish is whether all the cars that were given new names (e.g. 751-1-2 etc.) received completely new monocoques or were simply patched-up versions of existing ones. I guess there will be a mix of the two. I keep coming back to the theory that the underlying monocoque which had the (hidden) cracked rear bulkhead that created the handling problems that Lombardi and Peterson both described in exactly the same way must have been the same one, in some form or other; whether it was patched, repaired, rebadged, whatever!

Don't discount the possibility of TWO rear bulkheads being 'cracked' in different chassis - especially as they would have been of the same  design and probably recycled already...

#8 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 595 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:17

Good point, Peter.

Another possibility I had considered was that 761/3 was indeed built up around the monocoque of the genuine 751/1, and that the rear bulkhead of 751/1 had been cracked in Lella’s shunt at Monza, rather than 751/2’s bulkhead being cracked earlier in the year at Monaco. However, Lella never raced 751/1 again after Monza (she was in a Williams at Watkins Glen) and the behaviour of her car that she described repeatedly after Monaco tallies exactly with the complaints that Peterson made about 761/3 up until Belgium 1976. 

#9 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,908 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:26

Hans-Joachim Stuck tells me he never drove Lella’s car, and that he could not have done so anyway; he did not fit in it because he was too tall. His car had a higher roll hoop and the pedals were further away, beyond the adjustment point for Lella’s car.

Ronnie was pretty tall so wouldn't the same apply ?

#10 DCapps

DCapps

• 943 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 13:54

This is one of the topics that I managed to get Mike Lawrence laughing so hard that we agreed to segue to other topics that would later be known as Alternate Facts...

#11 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 595 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 16:20

This is one of the topics that I managed to get Mike Lawrence laughing so hard that we agreed to segue to other topics that would later be known as Alternate Facts...

I'm taking it that no conclusions were possible then, Don?  :drunk:

#12 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,725 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 17:50

What does Allen Brown of the remarkable <oldracingcars.com> make of this?

In period it was plain that if there was a paying customer available, March would cheerfully take advantage and re-cycle tubs with updates provided amongst the kit of parts for the customer to assemble, or in some instances clandestinely as their own people completed a runnable rebuild.  Few clients asked questions.  Most were sufficiently shrewd to know not to...

It was also plain to outsiders - i.e. the press - that plenty of chassis plate juggling was going on - yes, even more frequently than had become 'the norm' for most teams and most constructors - but it was deemed acceptable especially where privateers or rent-a-drivers were concerned. Their principle concern was purely to have a runnable car on the right day at the right place to earn some start, prize and maybe bonus money...  Despite any shortcomings in true talent, they were all racers and precisely what they were racing was irrelevant (at least until it broke).

DCN

#13 sstiel

sstiel

• 407 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 18:00

I'd welcome any informed input into a conundrum that has been bothering me while I have been putting together the "statistics" section of Lella Lombardi's biography.

All contemporary reports and record state that Lella drove March chassis 751/2 from the 1975 Race of Champions to the French GP inclusive; she was then given 751/1 for the rest of the season while Hans-Joachim Stuck was allocated 751/2. 

However, we have the well-known story of the cracked bulkhead in Lella’s car which caused handling problems that she complained about, but which were ignored until Ronnie Peterson complained of the same problems in it and were only confirmed when the monocoque was stripped after his shunt in it in the 1976 Belgian GP. Records confirm that this was 761/3.

That problematic car was 751/2, which was shunted by Lella in practice at Monaco 1975 (this caused the damage to the bulkhead) and with which she struggled thereafter. Peterson’s 1976 mount was 761/3, which records confirm was built up around the tub of Lella’s old 1975 car.

751/2 was written off by Stuck in Austria 1975. So it couldn’t have been the base monocoque on which 761/3 was built. In any case, records confirm the original 761/3 was built up around the monocoque of 751/1. It was this monocoque that was later stripped and found to have the cracked rear bulkhead. 

So the only conclusion I can reach is that the chassis plates of 761/2 and 761/1 were swapped after the French Grand Prix, and the car that Lella drove from the British GP to the Italian GP (where she had another big shunt) was still the original 761/2. The car written off in Austria by Stuck was therefore actually 751/1.

A plausible reason for the swapping of the chassis plates might have been Mosley/Herd trying to persuade Lella that she had been given a different car, in response to her repeated complaints about the poor handling of her regular chassis.

It would also explain why her performances didn’t improve much when she  was given a “different” chassis, as she was actually in the same one she’d had all along.

Unfortunately, most of the protagonists here are gone; of those who remain, I have been trying for months to contact Keith Leighton, with no success and have just had a bounce back from Dave White's email saying it's no longer active. 

All informed comment would be much appreciated!

Hello Jon,

Keith Leighton is on Facebook and Kevin Guthrie may be able to help you get in touch with him.

#14 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 595 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 18:49

Thanks all.

Doug - I’m corresponding with Allen separately, but in summary, the ORC site is congruent with Motio Sport, Autocourse, Motoring News, official entry lists etc in referring to the cars only as 721-1, 721-2, etc rather than with the subdivisions (721-1-2 etc) that Henk details.

Simon - you may know that Kevin is half of the BHP Publishing partnership that’s producing the book with me, so I’ve already explored that avenue!

#15 sstiel

sstiel

• 407 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 18:58

Thanks all.

Doug - I’m corresponding with Allen separately, but in summary, the ORC site is congruent with Motio Sport, Autocourse, Motoring News, official entry lists etc in referring to the cars only as 721-1, 721-2, etc rather than with the subdivisions (721-1-2 etc) that Henk details.

Simon - you may know that Kevin is half of the BHP Publishing partnership that’s producing the book with me, so I’ve already explored that avenue!

Ah. Well Keith Leighton is on Facebook.

Paul Fearnley may know as well.

#16 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 595 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 21:18

Thanks all.

Doug - I’m corresponding with Allen separately, but in summary, the ORC site is congruent with Motor Sport, Autocourse, Motoring News, official entry lists etc in referring to the cars only as 751-1, 751-2, etc rather than with the subdivisions (751-1-2 etc) that Henk details.

Edited by Jon Saltinstall, 25 October 2024 - 21:19.

#17 DCapps

DCapps

• 943 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 21:54

I'm taking it that no conclusions were possible then, Don?  :drunk:

Mike's comments, when not laughing about all this, were very much aligned with what Doug wrote. Plus, as Mike suggested, not much of anyone really gave a Flying Wet Great Australian Adjective (to quite Mike...) about it as long as money changed hands, cars appeared ("...often miraculously..."), and then somehow car &/or driver made the grid (or at least the paddock...). My impression before my conversations with Mike was that all this was sheer lunacy and afterwards that it was utter, complete lunacy. It was, we agreed, much like the Maserati mechanics in the race shop shifting engines around and fiddling with the paperwork so as to ensure that a CAR appeared when necessary and needed. Don't ask too many questions, simply accept what happens to happen...

#18 Michael Clark

Michael Clark

• 289 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:19

Saturday lunchtime here in NZ - I've just finished watching Liam in P2 from Mexico and so a chance to log onto TNF over a sandwich.

i'd been following this thread, as much as anything because as soon as i hear reference to March F1 chassis numbers, my mind always turns to my old mate Dr Mike Lawrence and his comments about the 'brand new' chassis Frank Williams was sold for Patrick Neve in 1977.

i hadn't had a chance to update myself since last evening but when i saw the activity on this thread, i decided to go straight here because news from Mexico will filter through eventually. I was delighted to see Mike Lawrence referred to - clearly Don enjoyed his unique on the planet first-hand too. i stayed with Mike for Goodwood 08 and it remains a memorable experience.

#19 davidsalt

davidsalt

• 8 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:28

Mike Lawrence- there’s a name from the TNF past.
Does anyone know if he’s still around?

Connoisseur of ‘real’ pubs and Shakespeare scholar IIRC?

Advertisement

#20 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,739 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:37

Mike Lawrence- there’s a name from the TNF past.
Does anyone know if he’s still around?

Connoisseur of ‘real’ pubs and Shakespeare scholar IIRC?

Unfortunately 'Dr Mike' left us four years ago.

https://www.gomw.co....ence-1942-2020/

#21 sstiel

sstiel

• 407 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:00

Jon, 

Steve Holter may be able to help too.

#22 DCapps

DCapps

• 943 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:21

One thing that Mike did make a point of to me was that SOMEONE at March ALWAYS knew which tub, which engine, and which gearbox was which and who had it at any given moment.

The issue for the tubs was simple: What did it need to be and where at THAT particular moment...and did the check clear.

For what little it is worth, I decided to simply go with whatever it was that Mike and others might come up with and accept that part of the zeitgeist.

As an aside, from what Paul told me, sorting out the March conundrum produced more than a few migraines for the kind folks at FOR...

#23 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 1,127 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:26

Good point, Peter.

Another possibility I had considered was that 761/3 was indeed built up around the monocoque of the genuine 751/1, and that the rear bulkhead of 751/1 had been cracked in Lella’s shunt at Monza, rather than 751/2’s bulkhead being cracked earlier in the year at Monaco. However, Lella never raced 751/1 again after Monza (she was in a Williams at Watkins Glen) and the behaviour of her car that she described repeatedly after Monaco tallies exactly with the complaints that Peterson made about 761/3 up until Belgium 1976. 

Just wondering if you were able to track down any first hand quotes from Lella herself about this issue, and if she ever had it explained to her by either MM or RH ? The only first hand source i have ever seen was from one of that pair, i think RH. It seemed to make 'a good story'. I do wonder... 

Regarding Ronnie and his complaints about his original 761, does his form after Belgium 'really'  show a dramatic upturn? I know where he qualified in Monaco, but he did the same with the old 72 a year before. And I know he won in Monza, and took pole in Zandvoort, but he had his share of fairly ordinary races aswell after Belgium. I'm not convinced. A first hand account from one of the mechanics would do that for me.

#24 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 595 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:54

There are a number of interviews given by Lella to Autosprint in which she refers to complaints she’d made to the March team about the handling problems of her car post-Monaco 1975. (Poor turn in followed by snap oversteer). Ronnie made exactly the same comments to different magazines in the races up to and including Belgium 1976. Robin Herd later admitted in interviews with Motor Sport and others that they hadn’t listened to Lella and regretted that they’d probably wrecked her F1 career.
Lella later told Autosprint that her only complaint about her F1 experience was that nobody listened to her feedback about the car.

#25 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 1,127 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:03

There are a number of interviews given by Lella to Autosprint in which she refers to complaints she’d made to the March team about the handling problems of her car post-Monaco 1975. (Poor turn in followed by snap oversteer). Ronnie made exactly the same comments to different magazines in the races up to and including Belgium 1976. Robin Herd later admitted in interviews with Motor Sport and others that they hadn’t listened to Lella and regretted that they’d probably wrecked her F1 career.
Lella later told Autosprint that her only complaint about her F1 experience was that nobody listened to her feedback about the car.

yes, ok. The Herd interviews i'm familiar with, also Ronnie's complaints, but you can find similar remarks from him about most of his cars! Quite a bit of it was the consequence of his natural driving style - i'm sure you've read Peter Warr's comments and others from ex TL personel. I'm just thinking it would be easy to add 2 and 2 and get 5, given the cast of characters that the information about the cracked bulkhead originated from. It might be absolutely true about the cracked bulkhead and the handling issues, but it would still be handy to get a first hand account of somebody at March who was involved. That would satisfy my rather world weary 'heard this one before' scepticsm, the inevitable consequence of 30 odd years exposure to racing drivers, racing cars, and the non technical press.... edited to add 'especially as you haven't been able to make the chassis ancestry stack up'....

Edited by PeterElleray, Yesterday, 17:05.

#26 Jon Saltinstall

Jon Saltinstall

• 595 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:13

I agree with you 100% Peter; I’ve been in a mission for nearly a year to find a surviving March employee from the era who can cast any light on the matter! As yet I’ve not found anyone who can (will?) clarify my thought processes.
No wonder Don is laughing ….

#27 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 1,127 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:25

Understood. It would make your job a lot easier. I get involved with, and enjoy, quite a few of these sort of things, rarely on here anymore, but on fb, and only with people who know what they are on about. Without exception one of us will produce a story that we all read about 50 years ago in AS or MN as teenagers , and took as gospel, and bat it around a bit, and 9 times out of ten it doesn't hold water, knowing what we know now, and having experienced the workings of the sport from the inside over a prolonged period and made enough contacts to ask the right people. Occasionally we get to what we now think is the real story (we hope!), but more often than not the trail just peters out. I hope you can find a credible first hand source, i feel your pain (!). 

#28 sstiel

sstiel

• 407 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:07

I agree with you 100% Peter; I’ve been in a mission for nearly a year to find a surviving March employee from the era who can cast any light on the matter! As yet I’ve not found anyone who can (will?) clarify my thought processes.
No wonder Don is laughing ….

Maybe Gary Critcher could help

#29 Steffen

Steffen

• 145 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:59

I found this topic quite interesting, so I checked a few reports in books I have, and they very much fit to the records on ORC.

There is one question I got:
Is it certain that 751-2 was the car with the cracked bulkhead?
I am asking, because Brambilla also used this car three times as a T-car. And he even drove it during practice at all three events. Here are the times I have found:

Sweden (Brambilla 1:27,065 vs. Lombardi 1:28,687)

Holland (Brambilla 1:22,77 vs. Lombardi 1:23,99)

France (Brambilla 1:49,55 vs. Lombardi 1:52,97)

With the exception of Sweden where Brambilla was two and a half seconds off the time set in his 751-3, he was within half a second.
If 751-2 had a problem with the bulkhead, shouldn't Brambilla's time be much slower? And wouldn't he agree with Lombardi about handling problems?

Isn't it more likely that Lombardi's complains refer to 751-1?
This car was only used by her from the British Grand Prix onwards and would (according to ORC) later become 761-3. First used by Lombardi, then by Peterson.

I actually wonder why 751-1 was only used at South Africa before disappearing until summer.