- - - - -

2024 Mexican GP - Build-Up Thread

• Please log in to reply
705 replies to this topic

#1 DevilDare

DevilDare

• 551 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:03

Everyone is busy in that other thread so you get a minimal opening post thread edition.

Session Times
(Local Track Time - see here for your own time zone)

Friday 25th October:

• Practise 1: 12:30 - 13:30
  • Practise 2: 16:00 - 17:30

Saturday 26th October:

• Practise 3: 11:30 - 12:30
  • Qualifying: 15:00 - 16:00

Sunday 27th October:

• Race: 14:00

Standings

WDC:

WCC:

• McLaren: 544
  • Red Bull Racing: 504
  • Ferrari: 496
  • The rest...

Track
ozzwW2a.jpeg

Advertisement

#2 DJH63

DJH63

• 580 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:07

I always think the DRS zone between 11&12 is the height of pointlessness - T12 isnโ€™t an overtaking opportunity unless youโ€™re several seconds a lap faster and the stadium section just strings everyone out again anyway before the next one on the main straight.

#3 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 2,199 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:08

lol -I've just done this too - posted at the same time.  :rotfl:

I'll ask mods to delete mine

#4 DevilDare

DevilDare

• 551 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:16

lol -I've just done this too - posted at the same time.  :rotfl:

I'll ask mods to delete mine

Ay at least we both remembered it's a GP weekend!  :drunk:

Edited by DevilDare, 25 October 2024 - 10:17.

#5 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,946 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:22

What REALLY stinks isn't the DRS between 11-12 but the single detection zone for the first two zones. I absolutely hate it when this happens :(

Also, FP2 will be interesting as it's practically one big Pirelli test.

#6 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,991 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:23

I always think the DRS zone between 11&12 is the height of pointlessness - T12 isnโ€™t an overtaking opportunity unless youโ€™re several seconds a lap faster and the stadium section just strings everyone out again anyway before the next one on the main straight.

That's where all DRS zones should be: on straights where overtaking is difficult. DRS zones on straights where it was already possible just give you fly-by's.

#7 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 46,544 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:28

ยกยกHola chicas !!

Preferirรญa mucho mรกs el que tiene el tรญtulo del hilo en espaรฑol solo porque podrรญa jurar en รฉl y no recibirรญa un tirรณn de orejas.

Jp

#8 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 8,259 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:31

ยกยกHola chicas !!

Preferirรญa mucho mรกs el que tiene el tรญtulo del hilo en espaรฑol solo porque podrรญa jurar en รฉl y no recibirรญa un tirรณn de orejas.

Jp

Tu, afuera!

#9 jonklug

jonklug

• 2,407 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:35

Been listening to the Mexican F1 anthem all week. Let's gooooo!

#10 southernstars

southernstars

• 3,341 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:37

The one whose times are so bad they're good. Quali at 8am on Sunday and the race at 7am on Monday.

#11 ArchieTech

ArchieTech

• 4,185 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:38

Just a heads-up for Sky UK viewers. They still don't appear to have attached any of the coverage to the usual series link, if you're recording it and rely on that. In fact the series link has gone on to pick up Sao Paulo next week. So you'll have to manually select which sessions you want to record.

#12 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,514 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:39

Edit: was confused about the 90min FP2 but it really is that for once.

Anyway. Among with the four Desertdromes and Miami this is at the bottom of my GPs. The only good aspects are high altitudes for engines and the long run to the first corner on first lap.

Edited by LolaB0860, 25 October 2024 - 10:41.

#13 jensfan09

jensfan09

• 1,226 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:41

Among with the four Desertdromes and Miami this is at the bottom of my GPs. The only good aspects are high altitudes for engines and the long run to the first corner on first lap.

FP2 is extended for a Pirelli tyre test.

#14 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,672 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:41

Among with the four Desertdromes and Miami this is at the bottom of my GPs. The only good aspects are high altitudes for engines and the long run to the first corner on first lap.

FP2 is a Pirelli tyre test session, where the teams will get the chance to test 2025 rubber.

This will include the C6 tyre.

#15 LolaB0860

LolaB0860

• 2,514 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:43

Thanks!

There are also 6 support races but none of them are televised.

#16 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 24,204 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:44

Riding onboard through the stadium section is cool ๐Ÿ‘
Have no idea about the pecking order between the top four, but I think weโ€™ll see Verstappen/Red Bull about as strong as Austin, which means in the fight for pole and top three in the race ๐Ÿ˜Š
(Not the boldest prediction but they are improved)

#17 LegendInTheMaking

LegendInTheMaking

• 181 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:48

The Mexican GP has had three distinct periods in its F1 history, each providing many memorable races. The circuit has various unique characteristics, one of which is its altitude. It has been constructed in the late 1950's and its F1 ambitions coincided with the rise to fame of first Ricardo Rodriguez and later also his brother Pedro Rodriguez. During its first F1 race, a non-WDC race (as was common back then for new circuits) in 1962, Ricardo had fatal crash in the Peraltada corner. 

From 1963 onwards, it hosted 8 consecutive races, of which the 1964 race was amongst the most tense title deciders of all time. In the penultimate round of the race, Jim Clark's engine blew up, eliminating him from a title winning position. Then in the final round of the race, Bandini moved over to allow teammate Surtees to take second place, which he needed to pass Graham Hill in the championship and win the title. Hill meanwhile had been driving a crippled car following a collision with Bandini. Can you image what social media would have done with this if it had already existed back then?

1017864263-LAT-19641025-1526.jpg

Contrary to the US events of the 80's, this race was cancelled after the 1970 edition had suffered from massive crowd control problems, with spectators being in front of the guard-rails, sitting at the trackside and even running across the track. 

In 1971, also Pedro Rodriguez died and the track was renamed after the brothers. 

In 1986 F1 returned to the track with their turbo cars. Gerhard Berger took his first and Benetton's first win, due to the durability of his Pirelli tires. 

opener-mexico-86-credit-motorsportimages

The 1989 race was -in hindsight- the start of the end for Prost and McLaren as he felt Senna had a stronger engine than he had. Despite having a tow, Senna would pull away from Prost on the long straight. In his frustration about this, Prost ruined his tires and when McLaren made a mess of their pitstops, Prost had to settle for fifth while Senna took an easy win.

1017613385-LAT-19890528-89MEX01.jpg

After the 1992 edition, the circuit was deemed not safe anymore and the race was cancelled again. This time it took until 2015 to return to Mexico. In the meantime, a baseball stadium had been built inside the Peraltada corner and this has now been incorporated in the new track layout.

2015-mexicogppostrace_1.jpg

Since its return, Verstappen has been the most successful driver in Mexico, gaining 5 race wins and scoring points in all other editions. During the dominant Mercedes years, the lack of power from Red Bull's Renault engines had been compensated by the high altitude of the track.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.metronieuws.nl%2Fwp-co

Meanwhile, local hero Sergio Perez has taken podiums in his first two races with a Red Bull, but had some altitude issues last year after colliding with Leclerc.

6f5efad24b086b1288df074cab94f8b02716d04f

What will be the story of this years' GP?

#18 jensfan09

jensfan09

• 1,226 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 10:54

What will be the story of this years' GP?

Probably about Lando vs Max (Despite whoever actually wins the race or is even on the podium!) lol

#19 FLB

FLB

• 33,008 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:00

Probably about Lando vs Max (Despite whoever actually wins the race or is even on the podium!) lol

Fully agreed.

Advertisement

#20 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 18,539 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:02

Riding onboard through the stadium section is cool
Have no idea about the pecking order between the top four, but I think weโ€™ll see Verstappen/Red Bull about as strong as Austin, which means in the fight for pole and top three in the race
(Not the boldest prediction but they are improved)

Really? I usually want to fast forward that because it is so slow and it looks that way as well. It feels tighter than Monaco.

#21 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 46,544 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:18

Tu, afuera!

ยฟPor quรฉ? Solo estoy hablando de Shaft !!
Jp

#22 chdphd

chdphd

• 3,014 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:25

Just a heads-up for Sky UK viewers. They still don't appear to have attached any of the coverage to the usual series link, if you're recording it and rely on that. In fact the series link has gone on to pick up Sao Paulo next week. So you'll have to manually select which sessions you want to record.

My Sky stuff has never worked as expected. I have to record each session manually and then Sky decides to record a bunch of stuff I haven't asked for, eg the highlights.

This happened on my old Sky+ box and is also true for my newish Sky Q box. Might be due to me using an ancient Sky legacy package.

#23 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,897 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:27

I will miss this GP as much as I'll miss Perez from the grid.

#24 DevilDare

DevilDare

• 551 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:30

ยฟPor quรฉ? Solo estoy hablando de Shaft !!
Jp

I know it's a Friday but bit early in the day to be talking about shafts.

#25 Anja

Anja

• 11,065 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:36

The Mexican GP has had three distinct periods in its F1 history, each providing many memorable races. The circuit has various unique characteristics, one of which is its altitude. It has been constructed in the late 1950's and its F1 ambitions coincided with the rise to fame of first Ricardo Rodriguez and later also his brother Pedro Rodriguez. During its first F1 race, a non-WDC race (as was common back then for new circuits) in 1962, Ricardo had fatal crash in the Peraltada corner. 

Really nice job with these historical summaries  :up:

#26 amerikalei

amerikalei

• 360 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:47

Really nice job with these historical summaries  :up:

Also, thanks for showing the best ever "special" F1 livery on the NART Ferraris, a nice nod to the "traditional" national colors rather than the forgettable corporate variations of the past couple decades.

Speaking of forgettable exercises in capital extraction, is this where Liberty/F1 introduces "sponsored DRS zones"?

Edited by amerikalei, 25 October 2024 - 11:48.

#27 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 4,506 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:50

Donโ€™t think there has ever been a good race hereโ€ฆawful track but great atmosphere

#28 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,283 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:54

Ugh, this race. 

As much as I'm enjoying F1 at the moment, I can't express how much I hate this track.  :lol: 

Far too many slow, fiddly corners (that stupid baseball stadium section has to be the worst combination of corners on the calendar currently, but hey, look at the fans!!!  :rolleyes: ) and I'm pretty sure every race here since it was brought back has been an utter borefest after the first lap. It's horrible for racing. 

Please, Sergio, can you hurry up and retire so this abomination of a race track can be dropped from the calendar ASAP? 

#29 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,695 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:59

Ugh, this race. 

As much as I'm enjoying F1 at the moment, I can't express how much I hate this track.  :lol: 

Far too many slow, fiddly corners (that stupid baseball stadium section has to be the worst combination of corners on the calendar currently, but hey, look at the fans!!!  :rolleyes: ) and I'm pretty sure every race here since it was brought back has been an utter borefest after the first lap. It's horrible for racing. 

Please, Sergio, can you hurry up and retire so this abomination of a race track can be dropped from the calendar ASAP? 

I agree. I thought it would be great to have a historic track back, but the flow of the esses has been completely butchered with Tilke's unnatural angles, and obviously the stadium section is an abomination. Yes I can see why they couldn't keep the Peraltada, but it could have been done better. 

#30 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,907 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 11:59

Drs Zone on the main straight has been reduced by 75 meters... Hopefully it wont get even more boring due to this change.

#31 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 5,695 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:05

Drs Zone on the main straight has been reduced by 75 meters... Hopefully it wont get even more boring due to this change.

Seems weird. Isn't the DRS here less effective anyway due to the thinner air? 

#32 ArchieTech

ArchieTech

• 4,185 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:06

Pato O'Ward is running in FP1 here for McLaren

#33 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 12,514 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:10

Between the (lack of) action and the late starting time in Europe, I may well nod off during this one!

#34 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 18,539 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:10

Donโ€™t think there has ever been a good race hereโ€ฆawful track but great atmosphere

It isn't fun to drive in sims as well.

#35 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 9,132 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:12

Perez sacked on the flight home, right?

#36 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,946 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:23

Ugh, this race. 

Sadly, that's true.

Mexico needs to stay in the calendar IMHO, because of the fans, as well as the unique altitude challenge, but the circuit needs very serious change IMHO.

#37 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 24,204 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:30

Really? I usually want to fast forward that because it is so slow and it looks that way as well. It feels tighter than Monaco.

I think its cool when they come onto the outside kerb entering T15 ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

#38 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 5,640 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:41

A heads up here for uk itโ€™s the annual change the clock back Grand Prix time (we get a extra hour in bed for us in uk kids and pets does not apply to them) 

#39 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 6,127 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:51

I agree. I thought it would be great to have a historic track back, but the flow of the esses has been completely butchered with Tilke's unnatural angles, and obviously the stadium section is an abomination. Yes I can see why they couldn't keep the Peraltada, but it could have been done better. 

Yeah, I've never warmed to this track (or at least this iteration). One of those new tracks that I've no idea where it's going. Long straight...err, some 90 degree corners, squiggly high-speed stuff, WHOA THEY GO THROUGH A STADIUM, rubbish final corner, repeat.

Advertisement

#40 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,283 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:55

Sadly, that's true.

Mexico needs to stay in the calendar IMHO, because of the fans, as well as the unique altitude challenge, but the circuit needs very serious change IMHO.

Yes, ideally in the form of bulldozing and starting from scratch again.  :lol: 

I find it hard to understand why (as far as I'm aware) they haven't made a single change to the layout since it was brought back, when there's considerable evidence to show that it's awful for racing. A relatively quick and simple fix would just be to get rid of the stupid turn 2/3 chicane and make it more of a sweeping corner from turn one onto the following straight. That alone would surely allow for more overtaking chances down into turn four. Because currently the DRS zone there is as good as useless - cars always get close but usually can't pass into there. 

As for the baseball section, just blow the whole thing up with some dynamite.

Edited by JHSingo, 25 October 2024 - 12:56.

#41 F1Gui

F1Gui

• 288 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 12:58

There is a small chance of light rain for the race. I can't recall it ever raining here but we can only hope that it does rain as only way to get a decent race.

#42 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 50,543 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 13:21

Seems weird. Isn't the DRS here less effective anyway due to the thinner air? 

Yes, it would be less effective.

#43 DJH63

DJH63

• 580 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 13:35

Ugh, this race. 

I always imagine the drivers screaming in their helmets as they close in on the car infront and then lazily slide through the stadium section as the car infront pulls away again.

#44 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,514 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 13:42

It's weird that the ONLY thing I can remember about this event is Vettel's meltdown and swearing directly at Charlie Whiting over the radio. But I don't even remember which year that was.

#45 ANF

ANF

• 32,210 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 13:45

2016?

#46 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,576 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 13:48

It's weird that the ONLY thing I can remember about this event is Vettel's meltdown and swearing directly at Charlie Whiting over the radio. But I don't even remember which year that was.

Didn't he tell him to **** off? :lol:

#47 ANF

ANF

• 32,210 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 13:55

2016?

I was right! https://youtu.be/9ECeVacI5Bc Apparently I remember the really important stuff.

#48 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,672 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 13:55

The frustrating thing about this track is that every part of the redesign has made it significantly worse.

Turns 4-6 are just far too tight and spread the cars out. The stadium is comically bad and spreads the cars out. The esses are just odd.

Even if they removed the stadium and re-introduced the old 180 degree corner, that would be fixing just a small part of the bad stuff.

The OG track was superb.

#49 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,978 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 13:58

Pato O'Ward is running in FP1 here for McLaren

Which will be the highlight of the weekend for me.

#50 jonklug

jonklug

• 2,407 posts

Posted 25 October 2024 - 14:11

Practice 2 time is really taking the piss for me, just like in Austin.