Photo

Suggestion for American F1 fans

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Psychoman

Psychoman

• 2,711 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 05:08

I mentioned it in a couple of threads, so I figured I'd just start a new one--I propose to the Yanks on the board that we start an email campaign to the guys at Fox Sports to move the F1 coverage from the 10am tapedelay currently in place to a 1pm tapedelay on THE Fox network, with exceptions for Brazil, Canada, and America. My reasoning is simple: If they put it on the national network, with the right amount of promotion, the public will be interested and will watch. This in turn will help them in the form of greater ratings compared to the current setup (hey, if that fact didn't help, nothing will :rolleyes: ). It will help both the network and the promotion of the sport in America. If any of you are interested, the email addy is sportscomments@foxsports.com. So is anybody interested...?

------------------
"Hey there, all you middle men
Throw away your fancy clothes
And while you're out there sittin' on a fence
So get off your ass and come down here
'Cause rock 'n' roll ain't no riddle man
To me it makes good, good sense"
-Brian Johnson

[This message has been edited by Psychoman (edited 03-07-2000).]

Advertisement

#2 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 05:30

I agree on the timeslot in terms of promotion. The average non F1 sports fan is more likely to flick on the TV and kick back on the couch after lunch rather than earlier in the morning. They may nod off but the exposure is there.

Personally, I like the earlier slot because I always feel guilty after spending 3 hours in front of the TV in the middle of summer, and that still gives me time to go cycling or kyacking or something! :)

But since I'll be watching live on Speedvision this year, I'll help out. Just tell us what we need to do, our fearless leader! Lead us into the revolution!!;)

#3 Coz

Coz

• 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 05:32

I like the idea, but that time slot goes to NFL football starting each July (or whenever preseason starts). Besides, as it is now at least if the race is boring you still have enough time to salvage your Sunday. ;)

#4 Coz

Coz

• 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 05:39

Forgot my new signature...

------------------
F ormula
O ne
R acing
D omination

#5 Piquet_1

Piquet_1

• 344 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 05:48

Why?? What for???? So I can have the local FOX affiliate preempt the F1 coverage for a more profitable sunday infomercial so I NEVER get to see the race??!

You've got to be kidding, moving the broadcast to FOX. At least if the race gets preempted now, it's for a local sporting event which I know the community demands and there might be a rebroadcast later in the evening.

Hell no do I want F1 on the main network.

#6 Psychoman

Psychoman

• 2,711 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 05:50

I really doubt they'd do that--here in Detroit they don't even preempt bass fishing on Fox...
Monoposto--like I said, just email them at the addy and suggest they move the race to Fox Sunday afternoon instead of the 10am Fox Sports slot they have it in at present.
As for football, I forgot that bit :rolleyes: However, my idea was to have a F1-NFL doubleheader--have the local game on at it's time, and depending on the time, put it on the other end; in other words, 1pm game/4pm race, or 1pm race/4pm game.

------------------
-Brian Johnson

#7 Mary

Mary

• 391 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 09:27

I appreciate the thought, Psychoman, but they're not about to give up the NFL (#1 in the USA, by far) for F1 or anything else.

What Fox (the network) is good for is innovation (they really improved NFL broadcasts). Unfortunately, none of that has made its way to the F1 broadcasts. I suppose there is not much they could do with the world feed anyway.

Mary

#8 SKL

SKL

• 1,414 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 10:49

Just do what I did, bite the bullet and get a dish, and then get SV, and watch it LIVE!Counting the minutes till Friday night!!!And of course ,Sat. night.

#9 f1speed

f1speed

• 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 13:17

I have to agree with SKL, unless dishes are banned in your area, get Direct TV $150 + $33 month with Speedvision and more. Record the race if you are not up or in my case at work then watch it when you want to. Good Luck! :cool:

#10 Todd

Todd

• 18,936 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 14:39

Psychoman,

I can see that your idea is well intentioned and if it were put into practice as invisioned, it would have the potential to expand F1's audience in the US. Unfortunately, I think the unintended consequence would be F1 having availability in fewer markets and for fewer races as it gets usurped for whatever the local Fox affiliates want to view in that cherry time slot. It is a noble idea, however. The selfish part of me doesn't want to wait another 3 hours to watch the races either. ;)

------------------
Forza Michael Schumacher,
Todd

#11 Psychoman

Psychoman

• 2,711 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 08:17

Todd, in all the times I can recall there being something on the major network in the afternoon, I do not remember them ever preempting it for Xena. Like I said earlier, the local Fox station won't even preempt bass-fishing. However, Detroit isn't the rest of America, and those are valid fears--sadly... :(

------------------
-Brian Johnson

#12 MattB

MattB

• 502 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 08:47

I'm at the stage where Speedvision is going to be the ticket. I'm tired of having to deal with Fox so it looks like getting into the Direct TV type smaller dishes is going to be the way to go. I personally love getting up at 7:00 on Sundays to watch the races...the thrill of a live broadcast is what really lights me on fire...this tape delay nonsense is a real thorn.

I loved the days when ESPN covered it for US audiences.