Photo

OT: US race fans: SV News vs. RPM2NIGHT

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 F1razor

F1razor

• 907 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 05:50

IMO, there is no comparison. SpeedVision Race Week covers it all. NASCAR, CART, IRL, F1, GP Bikes, Superbikes, FIA World Rally, NHRA, you name it. In 30 minutes.

RPM2NIGHT covers NASCAR, NASCAR, more NASCAR, with a blurb or two thrown in about OW racing when it feels like it. Usually, it's feature story is about the guy who stocks the Pepsi machine in the #24's garage or something.

Wake up ESPN2. Sppedvision is totally blowing you folks out of the water.

Any of you without Speedvision, get it. Now. You won't be sorry.

BTCC, Vintage F1 races, F1, a great NASCAR show with drivers as hosts, FIA Rally...and on and on.

Advertisement

#2 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 05:58

I love my Speedvision, I really do. But it seems the only time a get to just plop down and flick it on, they're running something about Snowmobiling or Yahting or Planes of Fame. Interesting to many, yes. To me, no. My dream is still a channel of just cars and bikes. Someday.....;)

------------------
"If I had to live my life over again, I'd be a plumber."
-Albert Einstien

#3 Psychoman

Psychoman

• 2,711 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 06:00

Hear Hear. I mean, I'll watch RPM 2night once in a while, but the coverage given in 1 day by Speedvision is more evenly spread out than 7 days worth of RPM 2night.

------------------
"Hey there, all you middle men
Throw away your fancy clothes
And while you're out there sittin' on a fence
So get off your ass and come down here
'Cause rock 'n' roll ain't no riddle man
To me it makes good, good sense"
-Brian Johnson

#4 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 06:01

Oh and as far as non motorsports, I get like 12 FoxSports channels, including FoxSportsWorld which has tons of soccer, the Golf network and even the Outdoorlife Network. I don't dee any use for ESPN anymore except as the NASCAR network.

#5 tombr

tombr

• 547 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 06:17

Speedvision + TiVo = :-)

#6 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 08:28

I'm in agreement--RPM2Night is basically NASCAR2Night.

#7 Junior

Junior

• 314 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 09:02

SV is great, and eventually they'll probably weed out at least the planes, and hopefully the boats as well. This'll happen when they pick up better programming as they become more and more popular. (Remember, ESPN had some of the dumbest "sports" on when it started too). Their sports personalities are getting better as they're siphoned off of other networks (ie: Bob Varsha).

I like the new Speedvision news, but it's only on once a week and the two guys (Varsha and Patrick?) get a little cheesy sometimes. Like the guy singing the Wayne Newton song to open the show last week. A nightly show would be ideal. Perhaps as it develops. AND they need to let Sam Posey run it!! just kidding :p

I'm a NASCAR fan and even I don't watch RMP2Night. "On tonight's show, we have an interview with Bob, the guys who sweeps out Dick Trickle garage." :D

#8 Mary

Mary

• 391 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 09:22

Well, F1Razor, that's nice but 10 people of the 260 million or so who live in the USA get Speedvision. The rest of us are stuck with John Kernan & NASCAR, NASCAR, NASCAR.

Mary

#9 Fast One

Fast One

• 600 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 12:14

Mary--

Buy a dish and be free!

My friend Razor failed to mention that NASCAR tonight's idea of open wheel racing is basically World of Outlaws, a series where the races are over faster than bad sex.

#10 f1speed

f1speed

• 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 12:59

GO TO RADIO SHACK or somewhere, get DIRECT TV for 150 dollars(or less). For about 33 dollars a month you get great programming and SPEEDVISON ! F1 live and at least one replay! Do it now, you still have time ! Enjoy! :cool:

#11 Mary

Mary

• 391 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 10:53

FastOne,

Nope, I'm not hanging a dish outside my Manhattan apartment window (I face the wrong direction anyway) and I'm sure as heck not going to put it up on the roof. Might as well buy one and then stand by a subway station and give it away!

Mary

#12 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 11:10

Mary, Move to the other side of the building and put the dish in your living room, the signal passes through glass like it isn't there! ];->

#13 SKL

SKL

• 1,414 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 11:17

SV may have the boat and plane stuff on, but it's worth it to watch the racing stuff, both new and old. It's still the best thing out there for a motorhead. I mean, the other night, I watched and taped a special on Ken Tyrell, followed by Champions, featuring Mario Andretti. The old footage was great fun... What do you want, CBS coverage of NASCAR?

#14 Fast One

Fast One

• 600 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 12:37

Mary--

If you have digital avaiable, you may be able to get Speedvision that way. I shut the dish down when we got it here. Every time it rained, the tree branches drooped and I lost my picture. Anyway, check with your cable company. Digital cable is a bit pricey, $63 a month here in Pittsburgh, but I'd pay anything for F1 live.

#15 EdwRom

EdwRom

• 1,301 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 13:04

Well, I'm with Mary... sorta! I live in the middle of the great (cough, cough) state of Pennsylvania. I live in an apartment and dishes are a no-no! My local cable company does not carry SpeedVision even in the new Digital lineup, so no chance there... all I can get is the taped race on the cable sports channel from Philly, your most F1 friendly spot in the US (F1, what the hell is F1?) Why do you think I don't turn my PC on Sunday mornings...too tempting to look for the F1 news and results before watching the GP! hehe

:cool:

------------------
Ed
Going for my 1st GP (USGP) in 2000!, I think??!! (Hey Tony George, where are my tickets?)

#16 Pacific

Pacific

• 1,202 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 13:05

This is weird, my city of Cedar Rapids, Iowa (120,000, more in the metro area) has had SpeedVision for a few years now. The only network C.R. seemed slow to get was ESPN2. As for ESPN being the NASCAR network, NASCAR gets a lot better ratings than the open wheels. I get my racing news on the Internet, not so much the TV. I watch SpeedVision for the F1 qualifying and races and I watch whatever network has on the NASCAR races. Sometimes I catch a CART or IRL race if it doesn't clash with NASCAR.