Photo

Barrichello must not win!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 01:56

Italian Arturo Merzario, former Ferrarista in 1973 but more famous as the man who saved Niki Lauda from his burning Ferrari in Neuburgring of 1976, has words for Rubinho. "I hope that Barrichello won't win at the first races or he won't be faster than Schumacher because in Ferrari they won't forgive him: for Rubinho it will be an infernal season"

:confused:

Advertisement

#2 RaggedEdge

RaggedEdge

• 2,051 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 02:05

I think Merzario speculates that Ferrari will not give equal equipment to Rubens if he "spoils" Schumacher's march to the long-eluding holy grail of WDC by winning the first race.

I do not know. Personally, I think Barrichello has received extremely fair treatment up to now. He tested F399 far far more than Schumacher during off season, and it looks to me F1-2000 testing time has also been more or less equally split between Rubens and Michael.

#3 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 02:08

Actually everyone is pretty excited about Rubens in Italy. First, because he is of Italian origin, second because they finally think that they have to fast drivers instead of one. Expectations are really high and everyone wants him to win.

It might help to remind readers that Merzario has been critical of Ferrari since 73, when he was dumped in favor of Regazzoni and Niki Lauda. He always finds something negative to say about the team, so Rubens should not worry about Arturo's rumblings.

#4 Lantern

Lantern

• 2,408 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 02:52

I thought Rubins was from Brazil.

Posted Image

#5 f1speed

f1speed

• 65 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 03:16

Uh,San Paulo,is that in Brazil? Anyway Ferrari already said that MS will get any new stuff for his car first, but if RB outperforms him (wow!) then RB will get #1 treatment.

#6 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 03:20

He is...check it out at:
http://www.barrichello.com.br/

RB was born in 1972 in São Paulo, Brazil. His family is from Italy, like many Italian immigrants in Brazil, specially in São Paulo.

#7 variocam

variocam

• 251 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 03:21

Rubino is from Brazil, but look at his last name. His Dads side is abviously of Italian descent!!!

#8 130R

130R

• 3,509 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 03:27

Arturos knows what he's talking about!

#9 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 05:23

I said "because he is of Italian origin,", I didn't say he is Italian. Of course he is Brazilian. But origin means his family is from Italy. Rubens speaks fluent Italian and Barrichello is certainly not a Japanese family name!!!!

No, Merzario doesn't always know what he is talking about. First, he has been out of Ferrari for 27 years now. Second, he bashed the team ever since they dumped him. He is a poor sour loner who can't forgive the Scuderia for preferring Niki Lauda to him (like they were wrong!!!!!). It is 27 years that each season's opening we hear some bullshit from bitter Arturo against the SCuderia. What the bloke doesn't tell you is that he would trade in his mom to trade places with Rubens. Get real, dude, you probably don't even know who Arturo is in the first place.

#10 Makarias

Makarias

• 12,640 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 06:42

molive: "His family is from Italy, like many Italian immigrants in Brazil..."

Where are the rest of the Italian immigrants coming from? ;)

#11 Pascal

Pascal
  • Administrator Emeritus

• 22,896 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 07:01

New York, Makarias, New York... ;)

Actually, while being obviously Brazilian, Barrichello apparently has Italian citizenship as well, or at least I've read many articles stating so.

#12 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 07:16

"dats" right, Pascal.

nice bit of history, RedFever. is their experience with this guy one reason Ferrari has shied away from taking on Italian drivers?

#13 Keith Steele

Keith Steele

• 2,901 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 07:48

I hope Rubens fares better than the last Ferrari driver of Italian descent.

#14 Pascal

Pascal
  • Administrator Emeritus

• 22,896 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 07:50

Irvini? :D

#15 Daemon

Daemon

• 5,452 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 11:21

I'll be very surprised if Barrichello does any better a job than Irvine did. Irvine was the most consistent driver and points finisher last year and did a great job, more than most expected. Rubens seems to have a couple of great races and then a couple of poor ones. Still, we'll see just how well he will do in 3 days time....

#16 kenny

kenny

• 2,030 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 21:08

Even Senna was of Italian origin, well on his mother's side...

#17 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 00:16

No, it had to do with Lorenzo Bandini's deadly crash in Monaco in 1966. Ferrari was placed under so much fire from the Italian pree, that he decided not to use Italian drivers anymore. For what I remember, Merzario and Alboreto were the exceptions, Capelli came later. Other Italians had a few races engagements.

Arturo then went on to start his own team (Merzario), which was pretty much unsuccessful and eventually was disbanded.

#18 130R

130R

• 3,509 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 02:59

Arturo's not he only one who's sour! Get a life. I know who he is.