Photo

RE: Foster's and Formula One Forge Long-term Deal.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DangerMouse

DangerMouse

• 2,628 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 02:17

So associating cancer sticks with F1 is bad but alcohol is Ok? this world is twisted, drink driving kills hundreds of innocent people a year, cigarettes kill the people who knowingly take the risk to do it.

Advertisement

#2 Rich

Rich

• 18,302 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 02:27

Both tobacco and alcohol products have health risks attached not only to users but to those around them. I agree, DM - it's ludicrous and hypocritical to claim that one is fine, but the other not. Clearly, the only difference is that the alcohol manufacturers have more influential policy-makers on their payroll.

#3 Todd

Todd

• 18,936 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 02:29

Used properly, alcohol doesn't cause death and in limited doses even helps your heart. Tobacco used properly greatly increases your risk of cancer and lung disease. Used immoderately, you can just about guarantee it.

On the other hand, I'm opposed to regulating advertising of legal products. Civilization isn't going to improve unless people learn to take resposibility for their own actions.

#4 Daemon

Daemon

• 5,452 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 21:07

Hey! I smoke B&H and drink Fosters. I'm doing my part, are YOU doing yours ;)

#5 Ruapuna

Ruapuna

• 285 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 21:30

Non-Australians please don't groan, I just want to ask...

WHY ARE FOSTERS NOT SPENDING SOME OF THAT MONEY ON MARK WEBBER???

Who ever remembers the race sponsor? It does not make sense.

#6 Daemon

Daemon

• 5,452 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 21:38

Ruapuna - just the point I was making in one of my last posts. As all Australians, and probably you Kiwis as well, Fosters really have that big a market her in Oz. The biggest market is the UK.

Heres a Idea to stir up patriotism and pride. Mark Webber, sponsored by Fosters, racing in GPs sponsored by fosters starts winning races or doing well in F1. What happens then, F1 fans over here, most of which drink copious ammounts of beer, would then say "hey, Fosters doesn't suck THAT badly, and they got an Aussie to F1, maybe they are ok."

Well i know that i would.

Maybe Webber doesn't need Fosters. His F3000 boss who is helping Mark get some backing said that unless they get some finacial support soon from mainstream companies, then he will have to turn to a tobacco company, presumably Winfield. Not a bad Idea, as we all know how much of a mutual love there is between F1 and tobacco...

#7 HartleyHare

HartleyHare

• 1,388 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 06:29

I don't think even the reflected glow of F1 could improve the taste of Fosters. But I agree that anything legal should be allowed to be advertised. And I think plenty other things should be legal too, but that's another story. After all, governments around the world are here to serve and protect us, are they not? Oh well....