Photo

Is Shummy SCARED?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 10:00

Ok, maybe SCARED is too strong a word, but a few things called my attention in MS`s interview (see it on AtlasF1 news section). One cannot deny the fact that Schummy seems concerned about his safety, maybe a bit too much worried, IMO.

I extracted a few bits pertaining to my point:

He said the crash had made him more aware of safety problems: "Since what happened to Ayrton Senna in 1994 in Imola, I've always felt concerned," he said.

It can`t be very helpful for a driver on the verge of a new season to be thinking of 94 too much...

"As for my accident, even though it did not change my priorities, in favour of my private life at the expense of my work, it taught me to see things in a different way."

Between the lines, one could read it like this: "this accident showed me that life is very precious, so next time I`m in a potentially dangerous situation I`ll probably take it easy and wait for the next opportunity, after all I have a family to think about now..."

"I would want us to stabilise the situation...for that we need to have a constantly good car. For the past four years I have had to push myself over the limit to get results.

Well, it`s the same as above...he does not want to be forced to push "too hard", or go overboard, to get a result...

"If the F1-2000 and later versions are good enough, I could stay on the limit all the time, without ever having to go beyond it. So I would be more consistent and safer."

Well, it just goes to prove my point, which is: MS is not the same after his accident. I recall he has said in another interview that if a very fast young guy started to make him go over the limit to stay at the top then it could signal that this was the time to call it a career and go home to Corina and the kids.

Some may say that`s exactly what Senna should have done, in which case he would still be around, but anyone who knew Airton know that he would NEVER settle down if he had in him that he could still be #1.

The questions are: is MS really sure he can still be the #1? Is he prepared mentally to go beyond the so called "limit" if he needs to? Is the F1-2000 this good a car to be able to win races without pushing it over the limit? If it is, good for him, but if the car is still a tad behind the Macs (read Mika) is Michael prepared to respond by being extra-aggressive on the track? Does this new "warm" german have the same will to win as the "cold" version?

cheers!

-------------------------------------------

It`s official: NASCAR SUCKS!

Advertisement

#2 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 10:05

Man it's gotta suck being in a position where people all over the world pick apart your every last word.....

#3 Todd

Todd

• 18,936 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 10:08

mono-posto,

Yeah, but the pay is pretty nice.

------------------
Forza Michael Schumacher,
Todd

#4 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 10:12

C`mom Todd, you can do better than that...

:p

or am I touching some kinda of an open wound?

[This message has been edited by molive (edited 03-08-2000).]

#5 The RedBaron

The RedBaron

• 6,593 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 10:24

You have a point Molive, but i think those questions were more than answered in the last two races of 1999. He definitely has what it takes still to be a WDC. You could equally apply those questions about Mika after his accident.......and look what happens.....2 WDC's.

#6 The RedBaron

The RedBaron

• 6,593 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 10:28

Try get over this nationalistic thing about German being cold, if you spent any sufficient amount time in any part of Germany you'll find that not to be the case.
If I were to refer or generalise that Brazilians are lazy or aggrogant you might
take offence.....i know this statement not be true.

#7 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 10:33

My Father's parents were German and I've never known two warmer, nicer people on this planet. They would have given their souls for a complete stranger. And they often did.

It is so unfortunate that our history books remember Germany for Hitler and his fascist Nazism, as this is not at all the way the German people that I know truly are.

#8 The RedBaron

The RedBaron

• 6,593 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 10:40

well said mono-posto......I like you already ;)

#9 130R

130R

• 3,509 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 11:14

My one and only trip to germany in '94 left me with a very good feeling about Germans. Extremely friendly and gracious. That old nazi bullshit still follows them around for the narrow minded.

Anyway, the guy who's gonna have to push it beyond the limit this year isn't MS, it's Rubens.

#10 theMot

theMot

• 6,196 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 11:15

look at Prost! He's been the best driver of the last 20 odd years and he never went over the limit. What happend ther 4 WDC and hes still alive. What happend to Senna 3 WDC and hes dead. Go figure!

#11 Incal

Incal

• 380 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 11:25

Red and Mono right on. My wife of 11.5 years is German, warm and also damn hot. Schumi is just a guy who happens to have what it takes to be at the top of his choosen field of endeavour.
Mot I don't quite understand what you are trying to say.

#12 silver fan

silver fan

• 3,111 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 12:01

;)
This is all sounding like a "Group Hug" session at the U.N., what next world peace. Can't we stick with negative stereotypes, it's much more fun.

#13 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 08:50

geeezz! amazing how people can steer away from a topic when they don`t have anything to say...

RedBaron, I don`t get it. First you say I have a point, then you start with this nationalistic BS. When did I imply that germans were cold? (I also have german friends, btw.) It was MS himself that said he wanted to be remembered as a "warm" person. Not me! I think everyone on this board will agree that in order to suceed in F1 you gotta be "cold" in some aspects, and MS surely have shown that ability in the past. So why would he want to change that?
That`s my point. It has nothing to do with race, colour, religion, gender, etc.

------------------------
Disclaimer:

"the above post does not intend to hurt any national or personal feelings, as it relates only to motor-racing issues and therefore should never be taken personally."

:rolleyes:

#14 Smooth

Smooth

• 10,359 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 21:05

C'mon, Molive! Everyone is open to interpret what he said in any way they like, but trying to put a slant on it like you are is prettly lame!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He said the crash had made him more aware of safety problems: "Since what happened to Ayrton Senna in 1994 in Imola, I've always felt concerned," he said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It can`t be very helpful for a driver on the verge of a new season to be thinking of 94 too much...

You could also say he is concerned he is not going fast enough all the time!

quote:
"As for my accident, even though it did not change my priorities, in favour of my private life at the expense of my work, it taught me to see things in a different way."

Between the lines, one could read it like this: "this accident showed me that life is very precious, so next time I`m in a potentially dangerous situation I`ll probably take it easy and wait for the next opportunity, after all I have a family to think about now..."

Could also read "I should drive even faster to get home from the 'office' to see my family" or "I need to REALLY go out and prove something on the track, to leave a real legacy for my children"

I could go on, but the point is you are clearly twisting words to fit your agenda, or you are being blinded by loyalty to your countryman, who has a large road to hoe this year. I usually like your posts, you bring a little logic, but this one is pretty lame!!

#15 130R

130R

• 3,509 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 21:15

Once again Schumi the chameleom is trying to incite sympathy -- this guy is such a weasel.

#16 Toxicant

Toxicant

• 2,192 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 21:28

Well, since you want to stop with the BS lets do it.

If Schumacher is not the same driver he used to be, the last two races of the season certainly didn't reflect that. What one says and what one does are usually to different things. He gets behind the wheel and just does what comes natural, its like something takes over and you have no control.

I think what he's saying is more to the effect of, if the car isn't great whats the point of me pushing over the limit and still not wining. He knows as well as anybody else that unless you have the best car out there you can't win everything. When you're young and trying to get ahead you take what you have and ring the most out of it but when you have a wife, two kids and two world championships what is the point of risking everything? He would have everything to lose and nothing to gain in that situtation.

The sad part for you being a Rubens fan is that this is a no win situtation for you. If Schumacher is faster then so what he's the best out there and everyone knows it, but if Rubens is faster it's because Schumacher has lost the edge.

In any event I think we'll have a few of these questions answered this weekend, don't get your hopes up ....it's so obvious that you want Schumacher to be out driven by Rubens and I don't think it's going to happen.

The SCARED Schumacher will still be faster then the Jean Alesi of Brazil

Tox!

#17 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 22:08

I think what he's saying is more to the effect of, if the car isn't great whats the point of me pushing over the limit and still not wining. He knows as well as anybody else that unless you have the best car out there you can't win everything. When you're young and trying to get ahead you take what you have and ring the most out of it but when you have a wife, two kids and two world championships what is the point of risking everything? He would have everything to lose and nothing to gain in that situtation.

Hummm....so, your point is: I am actually right. MS is not the same and will not do whatever it takes to win...

The sad part for you being a Rubens fan is that this is a no win situtation for you. If Schumacher is faster then so what he's the best out there and everyone knows it, but if Rubens is faster it's because Schumacher has lost the edge.

Where did I mention RB?

I know, you try to change the focus of the discussion when you have no actual facts to back up you argument...thats common place.

The SCARED Schumacher will still be faster then the Jean Alesi of Brazil

I can`t wait!

Posted Image

#18 Toxicant

Toxicant

• 2,192 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 23:31

"Hummm....so, your point is: I am actually right. MS is not the same and will not do whatever it takes to win..."

Same?? who knows...but the fact is he's changing, like all people do as time passes.
Most people think he's changing for the better, remember Prost didn't have the "do what ever it takes to win" attitude and look where he is, in pit lane with 4 world championships and his lungs full of air.

I think Eddie Irvine might have shown Schumacher the way last year, taking chances isn't the way to win, you think about it. A smarter Schumacher is going to be more dangerous then ever before.

Oh and stop with the changing topic bull ****, you know you have you head firmly planted up Rubens ass and besides, he's mentioned in everyone of your posts. Just look at you're sig! :)

Tox!

[This message has been edited by Toxicant (edited 03-08-2000).]

#19 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 08 March 2000 - 23:52

Molive, for once I don't agree with you.

After Senna's accident he got concerned. Well, he saw Senna getting killed a few feet from him. I would be concerned too. That didn't prevent SChumi from becoming WC twice and contend for the title two more times, all after that crash.

Having a good car so that he can drive at the limit without passing it. Isn't it obvious? passing the limit means you crash and lose points, not only more risk. Gilles Villeneuve (and nobody can say about Gilles that he lacked gutts!!!!!) said over and over that his main objective when racing was to find the limit of the car and then just ride on it. Never below it (otherwise you go slow), avoid to go passed it (otherwise you smack the wall). Just find it and ride it. Why is it a problem if Schumi agrees with Gilles' point???

I don't know, Schumi didn't look scared in his qualification laps in Malaysia and Japan. We'll see.

Advertisement

#20 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 01:13

Red,

I never hoped you would agree with all my points.

This whole discussion about MS being a changed driver is probably just me trying to kill some time before friday (as I said above, I canĀ“t wait!).

Hey Tox, are you sure you think I am a RB fan? hummm....I wonder why... :confused:

Posted Image

#21 Rich

Rich

• 18,304 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 01:49

Any F1 driver who isn't scared of the danger of death is in the wrong profession. MS is getting to an age now where he realises that life is a lot more than just F1. If he no longer considers it worth the risk, I'm sure he'll inform Luca and step down immediately.

#22 SpamJet

SpamJet

• 801 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 02:02

Do you think he is feeling even more pressure because many 'experts' are predicting that he will walk away with the crown this season?

#23 F1razor

F1razor

• 907 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 04:52

So he's a weasel for being candid. *shrug* Go figure.

#24 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 09:27

PARIS (Reuters) -- Michael Schumacher says he is looking forward to a safer future with Ferrari and does not want to go down in history as a cold and calculating German determined to win at all costs
http://www.cnnsi.com...umacher_speaks/

:rolleyes:

#25 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 09 March 2000 - 09:34

I'm scared. I'm scared of the holier-than-thou who just some how know what a guy 'really' said even though it's not what he said.

How does that happen?

#26 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 02:24

Schumacher 'Not Afraid of Race Death'

Wednesday March 8th, 2000

Michael Schumacher says he is not worried about the possibility of dying in a motor racing accident some day. "If it happens, it happens. You can't protect yourself from it. That's my view. My life has been pre-determined," the German double world champion told the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper on Wednesday.

"When it is supposed to end, it will end - wherever that may be.

Looks like my point is not that far-fetched after all..

#27 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 04:57

Maybe you could read the 'Tao te Ching' by Lao Tzu. You may then realize that this attitude is going to only benefit Schuey in what ever he does.

#28 The RedBaron

The RedBaron

• 6,593 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 07:42

Very selective as usual Molive, now put it in its fuller context -the 2nd last paragraph is the key.

Australian Grand Prix favourite Michael Schumacher claims he is not concerned about the risk of dying in a motor racing accident.
The German told the Allegemeine Zeitung newspaper that he was prepared for the worst possible scenario.

Schumacher missed most of last season with a broken leg following a high-speed crash at Silverstone.

He said: "If it happens, it happens. You can't protect yourself from it. That's my view. My life has been pre-determined.

"When it is supposed to end, it will end - wherever that may be.

"I love sports that offer a certain element of fascination, where the risk can be calculated."

Schumacher starts the new Formula One season in Melbourne on Sunday as favourite to win Ferrari's first title for 21 years.

#29 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 10 March 2000 - 09:36

RedBaron,

Of course I`m selective. after all I`m trying to make a point, not reprint the whole article.

You can`t say that I twisted MS words tough, it was good old cut-and-paste after all...

Anyway, all this talk about death is a bit weird, specially coming from the man supposed to be odds on favourite to take this years WDC.

I sincerely hope that MS`s words are not prophetic ones...

enough with that! lets get down to racing!