Photo

Yardley McLaren in 1974

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 20:09

I always thought that Marlboro totally replaced Yardley as the sponsor for McLaren but I realized going through FORIX that an M23 was ran for Mike Hailwood in 1974 with Yardley sponsorship and not McLaren.

Was this from the McLaren factory or a priveteer effort. It was sort of suprising seeing Yardley in 1974.

Advertisement

#2 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 22:38

This was a one car operation run by McLaren, fielding a supposedly identical car to the Marlboro McLarens for Mike up to the German GP. David Hobbs, then Jochen Mass completed the 74 season with the Yardley McLaren.

#3 luisfelipetrigo

luisfelipetrigo

• 660 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 22:49

Yardley, first with BRM and later with McLaren, was one of the first samples of GP cars as commercial banners ...and it is one of the most beautiful ever !!!:) :up:

#4 Timekeeper

Timekeeper

• 74 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 13:05

From Grand Prix Volume 3 by Mike Lang. In his preview to the 1974 season he says.

"However most of the changes in the McLaren camp came about with new sponsorship arrangements involving Texaco and Marlboro which arose when Emerson Fittipaldi joined the team from Lotus. Unfortunately it also brought problems leading to legal strife with Yardley who wished to continue their sponsorship contract. Eventually agreement was reached that resulted in two entries being made under the red and white colours of Texaco Marlboro McLaren for Fittipaldi and Hulme and a third under the Yardley McLaren colours for Mike Hailwood,..."

#5 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 06 July 2001 - 14:05

Oh, so Yardley wanted to stay.

They exchanged the best race livery of the early 70s for the Marlboro men with Texaco?

I know that $$$ had everything to do with it but it was a loss to Grand Prix racing.

#6 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 14 July 2001 - 21:51

One of the things that has ruined modern F1 is cigarette money.
Its right up there with Max Mosley...

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 14 July 2001 - 22:36

Originally posted by David M. Kane
One of the things that has ruined modern F1 is cigarette money.

Unfortunately, cigarette money has also made F1 what it is today, Dave - the first sponsor was Gold Leaf, back in 68 and most major international brands have been involved at one time or another. Whether their money is a source of good or evil is a matter for debate ....

#8 luisfelipetrigo

luisfelipetrigo

• 660 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 20:38

BRM was the first with Yardley and lost it to McLaren ...
... then BRM lost Marlboro to McLaren as well ...
... too bad there was no BRM West :D ;) :p

#9 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 20:51

Louis Stanley has said that the regrets ever having introduced Marlboro to Formula One, due to the way they've changed the sport by introducing hugh amounts of money to a team's budget.

Dave

#10 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 20:55

I alwa ys wondered if that meant that McLaren would now be sponsored by Rotary Watches?

Anyway, he was right about Marlboro. Over the years their cars have consistently had the biggest budgets.

#11 FLB

FLB

• 29,675 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 21:12

Actually, Marlboro first appeared in the F1 World Championship on Siffert's 701 in 1970 (Spain, perhaps?). That's how the connexion was made with BRM, through Seppi who had good buisiness relations with Philip Morris in Switzerland.

http://www.motorraci...p70/70bel09.htm

Big Lou exagerates his role. Have you ever taken a look at Seppi's driving suit from 1970 as he appears (fleetingly) in Le Mans?

#12 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 21:43

FLB: that link isn't working for me ...

#13 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 22:00

I remember reading that Yardley had some problems with Peter Revson driving under their sponsorship. You see, Peter was the son of the founder of Revlon, a competitor to Yardley.

Anyone else ever hear this?

#14 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 22:13

Originally posted by Vitesse2
FLB: that link isn't working for me ...

Yep, it should be http://www.motorraci...p70/70bel09.htm

You see, the FLB has a "http://" too many...

Felix

#15 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 22:15

Peter's family was certainly part of the Revlon clan, but I don't think he was the son of the founder.

And thanks for the repair Felix!!:) :) I thought it looked a bit odd:confused: :confused:

#16 FLB

FLB

• 29,675 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 22:52

Thanks Felix... :blush:

#17 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 01:55

I checked my sources and Peter Revson was in fact one of the sons of the founder of Revlon. Apparently he also had a younger brother named Doug who was killed in a racing accident in 67.

Great web site recommendation FLB!!!!

#18 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 02:04

Originally posted by luisfelipetrigo
Yardley, first with BRM and later with McLaren, was one of the first samples of GP cars as commercial banners ...and it is one of the most beautiful ever !!!:) :up:

oh my... while it was pretty, did you ever see a photo of the brm p153 in green when it was first introduced? when i saw it i considered it to be possibly the prettiest car i had yet seen, and was somewhat shocked to see it in yardly trim later.

#19 gcara

gcara

• 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 16:27

Originally posted by biercemountain
I remember reading that Yardley had some problems with Peter Revson driving under their sponsorship. You see, Peter was the son of the founder of Revlon, a competitor to Yardley.

Anyone else ever hear this?

I remember reading it at the time,most likely in the French mag L'Automobile but the version I read was that Revlon had the problem.

Chers
George
Athens

Advertisement

#20 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 19:23

Revlon was in fact found either by Peter Revson father or jointly
by Peter's father and his evil brother Charles. Anyway, Charles
eventually cheated out or pushed out Peter's father to take sole
possession of the Company. In fact, he was such a nasty person
that Helena Rubenstein would never mention his name, she simply
referred to him as "that man". To upset her even further
he came out with a line of perfumes called "THAT MAN" which became the most popular and most successful line Revlon ever had.

Apparently, Peter's dad was too much the nice guy of the family.

I believe Peter's father was found dead on his sailboat under very suspicious circumstances. Perhaps someone more together than
I can straighten the story out.

The bottom line is that Peter had money as a young man, but basically made his way into F1 successfully only on his second
try and after buying a one off ride at Watkins Glen from Ken
Tryell.

#21 luisfelipetrigo

luisfelipetrigo

• 660 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 00:38

Originally posted by MPea3

oh my... while it was pretty, did you ever see a photo of the brm p153 in green when it was first introduced? when i saw it i considered it to be possibly the prettiest car i had yet seen, and was somewhat shocked to see it in yardly trim later.

http://forix.com/iex...70/01020_RY.JPG

Indeed, a most beautiful car (wish they made them like that today :);) ) and specially in Pedro's hands :up:
I did see hundreds of pictures of this car, it is the car in which Pedro Rodriguez won the 1970 Belgium GP (one of his two wins), with Chris Amon just 1.1 seconds behind !!! :up: :up:
And then saw it live in action at the Mexico City 1970 GP

But I was not shocked to see it in Yardley livery, I still loved that car

http://forix.com/iex...70/03017_RN.JPG

#22 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 08:12

Actually, the one off with Tyrrell wasn't his first race, he had ran in a Lotus BRM in 64 (?).

#23 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 18 July 2001 - 11:04

You are absolutely correct. He did that after a season of Formula
Junior in Europe. While he was in Europe he shared a flat I think
with Chris Amon, Mike Hailwood, etc. Apparently, they put on an
excellent party with plenty of nice babes...