Photo

Luca Badoer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 08:56

I've just read an article about Luca Badoer possibly driving for Prost next race with Burti out. Apparently Badoer has been the Ferrari test driver for the last four years (which coincides with the rise in fortunes of Ferrari, so he must be doing a good job), but my question is:- what else does he do? Doesn't he want to race? Surely he knows that he's never going to get a chance at Ferrari, especially after Mika Salo got the chance when Schumie broke his leg.

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 26,660 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 12:34

Good question. 1999 showed Luca that he had no future with Ferrari in F1, and he doesn't seem to do anything else (like sportscars or tourers) so I can only conclude that he likes the pasta and vino at Maranello and is happy testing cars rather than racing. Some people do actually prefer the challenge of improving a car technically over the rough and tumble of competition.

#3 mhferrari

mhferrari

• 3,238 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 14:24

I would say he would want to finally get a point, after all he has started the most races without scoring a point, although he should have got three at the Nurburgring in 1999.

#4 AJF Racing

AJF Racing

• 40 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 17:48

While I can understand why Luca felt snubbed by Ferrari when they used Salo to fill in for Schumacher in 1999,it's quite possible that the fact that he was a regular Minardi driver that year was a critical factor in Ferrari's decision. Ferrari may not have wanted to reclaim Luca and leave Minardi scrambling to find a suitable replacement.

I realize that Minardi could have drafted in Stephane Sarrazin to replace Badoer as he had in Brazil that year, but I think Minardi would rather have kept Badoer.

Can anyone remember the last time a driver other than Luca drove regularly for one team and tested regularly for another? It seems like a rather unusual arrangement.

And while it's somewhat surprising that Luca hasn't pursued other options in motorsport since his 1999 snub, it's also hard to blame him. After all, who wouldn't like to drive a Ferrari and get paid for it? I think everyone on this board would swap jobs with him in a heartbeat.

AJF

#5 No27

No27

• 1,254 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 17:52

I think Alain would do anything to keep HeinzHarald Frentzen. The other seat will be auctioned, highest bidder with superlicense can join in.

#6 bergwerk

bergwerk

• 869 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 18:00

Originally posted by BRG
he likes the pasta and vino at Maranello and is happy testing cars rather than racing.

Sure beats the alternative cuisines of other F1 HQs.

#7 clickhappy

clickhappy

• 429 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 19:25

the biggest 'knock' against Luca is he speaks Italian only. Ferrari and Minardi are currently the only Italian-speaking teams running in F1...

#8 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 22:29

Minardi scrambling to find a suitable replacement

It's worth mentioning that at the time they already had Gaston Mazzacane on the books.

#9 AJF Racing

AJF Racing

• 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 06:45

Originally posted by Dudley

It's worth mentioning that at the time [Minardi] already had Gaston Mazzacane on the books.

Notice that I said "suitable" replacement.;)

Of course, no disrespect meant to Gaston/Argentina/South America/anyone else who could possibly be offended by my comment. He's just shown that he's not much of an F1 driver.

AJF